How can I transfer camera pictures from phone memory to the SD card?

sshasansshasan Staff MemberUnited StatesPosts: 4,023 admin

I need to transfer photos from my phone to my micro SD card to free up some space on my phone. How can I do this?

Best Answer

• sshasansshasan Staff Member United StatesPosts: 4,023 admin
    Accepted Answer

Open the File Manager application and touch Phone at the top of the screen.  Touch the "DCIM" and then "Camera" folders.  Touch the menu icon at the bottom right of the  screen and touch "Multi-Select".  Touch the picture(s) you want to move, then touch  the move icon at the bottom of the screen.  Touch the top of the screen and then "SD Card". Navigate to where you want to move the picture and touch "PASTE".

Answers

• Coolmuster Android Assistant is a special designed android data backup app, it could transfer everything from your phone to computer, then you can use it to import them to sd card from computer.

• Actually, there're many special designed android data backup apps could transfer everything between your phone and computer, you can transfer them to computer first, then import them to sd card.

• sshasansshasan Staff Member United StatesPosts: 4,023 admin

this was way back when we were first building the community... We figured we would throw some general Q&A up for new members and also to fill in the empty spaces.

• Open the File Manager application and touch Phone at the top of the screen.  Touch the "DCIM" and then "Camera" folders.  Touch the menu icon at the bottom right of the  screen and touch "Multi-Select".  Touch the picture(s) you want to move, then touch  the move icon at the bottom of the screen.  Touch the top of the screen and then "SD Card". Navigate to where you want to move the picture and touch "PASTE".

In fact, you can use Mobiledic Android manager to move everything including photos from phone memory to SD card.. Some smartphone has a built-in feature that can help transfer photos from memory to SD. it's easy!

Source: Install or Move Apps from Storage to SD Card on Android Phone&Tablet , it works for app, but also for photos.

• ElizabethJKElizabethJK WisconsinPosts: 1 ✭✭

It would be nice if someone could do a screen shot with some of these directions. My ZTE majestic pro phone doesn't have things on it the way you are describing. I have no phone in the upper corner. I am not finding SD card for transfer. What I actually need to do is transfer my photos off my SD card to my Mac (without losing the dates corresponding to the photos. At the moment (this is a new camera for me) the camera is very full (too many apps?) and using up memory/storage so it doesn't even want to take a photo. I don't know how to free things up (like delete an app to test this theory out) or have the phone access the SD card for additional storage capacity. Thanks.

(I used Android File Transfer to drag & drop photos from my SD card, but lost all the original dates on them.)
    I tried using Coolmuster, but it didn't have a cable option, tried to use WiFi and kept telling me my phone wasn't connected when it was & I didn't know what else to do to ensure the connection it wanted.)

Any other program that will transfer photos and keep the dates?

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,637 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 14, 2017 2:13PM

@ElizabethJK Since you have a mac, you may not be able to reliably access files by directly using the MTP mode that android devices use by default.

I do not own a mac, and in the past when I had to transfer files from and android device to a mac, I ended up having the files I needed, saved to a micro SD card, and then I would place the micro SD card into a USB card reader and then connect it to the mac.

From the looks of your reply, it seems that android file transfer worked for you, but some of the meta data does not seem present.

If possible, can you take a random image, then transfer it to the mac, then compress that file as a .zip, then upload it here as an attachment? This will allow me to examine the file without any further changes from the forums, and then look at all of the metadata to see if anything is truly missing.

As far as I know, android file transfer should not alter the meta data of the files beyond the last accessed date. but data like date created should still remain, as well as all of the exif data.

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 14, 2017 4:14PM

@ElizabethJK said:
    It would be nice if someone could do a screen shot with some of these directions. My ZTE majestic pro phone doesn't have things on it the way you are describing. I have no phone in the upper corner. I am not finding SD card for transfer. What I actually need to do is transfer my photos off my SD card to my Mac (without losing the dates corresponding to the photos. At the moment (this is a new camera for me) the camera is very full (too many apps?) and using up memory/storage so it doesn't even want to take a photo. I don't know how to free things up (like delete an app to test this theory out) or have the phone access the SD card for additional storage capacity. Thanks.

(I used Android File Transfer to drag & drop photos from my SD card, but lost all the original dates on them.)
    I tried using Coolmuster, but it didn't have a cable option, tried to use WiFi and kept telling me my phone wasn't connected when it was & I didn't know what else to do to ensure the connection it wanted.)

Any other program that will transfer photos and keep the dates?

hi, @ElizabethJK

If you just want to transfer just photos from the phone to your Mac computer, what you could do is selecting "Camera (PTP)". his mode treat the phone as if it were like a digital camera and then you could just Mac OS Photo app or your favorite app to transfer photos to your computer.