[android tip] dim brightness of your screen below the minimum

rikkkurdrikkkurd United statesPosts: 318 ✭✭

The minimum brightness on many phones is too bright for use in the middle of the night or when you want to fall asleep soon.

The app screen filter enables you to overlay a filter on your screen that reduces the brightness of the screen even more, however it is still important that you use the lowest brightness setting of your phone as well.

You can download screen filter here:  Screen Filter - Android-apps op Google Play

I myself use the screen filter on 22.8 percent just before I go to sleep, but this can be different on any phone.

If you made the screen to dark to read, press the home button, swipe down from top the bottom to show the notification screen and click on a notification (I know you can't see them but guess )

if you click the screen filter notification the brightness will automatically go up again.

No worries the app will also prompt you to confirm very low brightness settings. and has a live preview of the screen brightness before you enable the screen filter.

Screen Filter: screenshot

Comments

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I run my brightness at about 50% on the slider while using my device indoors. It is bright enough and extends the battery life big time

• rikkkurdrikkkurd United statesPosts: 318 ✭✭

I do that as well but when going to sleep a even lower brightness is nice

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yea you are right. Typically I turn my phone off so I can an sleep ,lol.

I also turn it off at night but when I look at the screen lowest brightness it sometimes still is too bright.

True

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It would be cool to see his this impacts the battery life on devices with an AMOLED display since each pixel produces its own light, an artificially darker image may make them use less power.

It will reduce power consumption white pixels just become more grey but because all colors are darker you don't really see it as grey however your dynamic range in colors does get smaller.

I don't think this is a good power safe functionality because the brightness is only sufficient in rooms where no lights are on. As soon as you turn on a light you want to go back to a higher brightness.

• jeriklm11jeriklm11 VegasPosts: 1 ✭✭

It's amazing!