Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Pokemon Go... In Real Life!?

sshasansshasan Staff MemberUnited States Posts: 3,954 admin

With the insanely popular Pokemon Go, augmented reality is getting a lot of attention these days.

1.) Have you played Pokemon Go?

2.) What apps or games that support AR are you using now or have you used in the past?

3.) What concerns could arise from a world where AR becomes more common place?

Comments

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

1. Yes.

2. None other.

3. I foresee many accidents and some likely government intervention, either at the local or federal level.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,227 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

1. Yes, currently am playing Pokemon Go.

2. None, even with Pokemon Go, I turned AR off after trying it a few times. It makes capturing Pokemon too difficult when AR is on. I only turn it on if I want to snap a picture of certain Pokemon in the background.

3. Accidents when people playing an AR game in public. Possibly to focus on the game and rely on camera to see what they might be walking around in.

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United States Posts: 4,611 mod

1 LOL Unfortunately I am hooked, it is fun, and I now ignore the girls...Alright so I don't ignore them, but the game is fun, and addicting.

2 None, although I can see many games heading this way in the near future, especially with pokemon go being such a hit.

3 People seem to lack common sense, and there's going to be accidents, and issues. I definitely think there will be many bans in place for AR applications, due to the issues already happening with pokemon go. It is really sad that something so amazing, will have to be regulated because people really can think think, hmmmm maybe I shouldn't drive and play, or maybe I should pay attention to where I am.

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I agree. Too bad some people don't use common sense and think of safety, when enjoying a game.

• hollaphollap United States Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

1. no, but I will when I get my Axon.

2. none, yet.

3. Accidents where people don't use their common sense, crime where people are lured to places they shouldn't be.

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

1.) Have you played Pokemon Go?  Yes, and am addicted on level 20 now!

2.) What apps or games that support AR are you using now or have you used in the past? unfortunately, none  mostly would play scroll shooters like WarBlade on iPhone.

3.) What concerns could arise from a world where AR becomes more common place?  Distraction, distraction, distraction.  Playing while at work, stopping prematurely at pokestops in the vehicle, and stopping love making to capture a 2997 CP Snorelax!  Lol!

​ I'm jealous, I'm only level 11. I can only really play when I go into town, service out here can be so spotting I could walk 2 miles just to reconnect lol. I still love the game though, and giggle when I see people in the grocery store 50-60 playing it. I think it is amazing when a company can pull off a game that unites the ages groups.

• chuckbortchuckbort Chuck United StatesPosts: 575 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

1. Nope

2. None

3. People being distracted and not aware of what's around them. This makes them more prone to accidents and other issues (robbery/pickpockets etc.)

• fzrrichfzrrich United States Posts: 4,244 mod

1.Yes
    2.No
    3.As mentioned already.  A lot more AR related accidents.  Gotta be more careful when using AR.

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

You know that's right.  It is a great game.  I remember Pokemon back in the 90's but it didn't have my attention.  I had just graduated and of course had other fun ideas in my mind.  ;-)

​ I have bought a bazillion packs of pokemon cards when Kennedy was little, she loved them, I was not so impressed. Now, this game is a different story...lol

That's for sure. 

• 1.) Have you played Pokemon Go? Yep!

2.) What apps or games that support AR are you using now or have you used in the past? It's been a long time but I remember using google goggles (Is that even the name of it lol).

3.) What concerns could arise from a world where AR becomes more common place? So when out on patrol (reserve police officer), we have seen many people, both young, and old enough to know better, in places they don't belong, late at night or very early in the am. And many walking unsafely. Walking on the wrong side of the road, or worse yet, driving while Pokemon GO'ing. These are just some examples of concerns/risks with AR. I am all for it, people just need to be wise when using this technology. I live and patrol in a rural area. I can imagine this being a much bigger issue in larger more congested cities. However at the same time, out here in the boonies (lol) our roads are long, and not lit. So when kids wearing dark cloths walk around, and stop in the middle of the road, at night, staring at their phone and not aware of their surroundings, they are at high risk of being hit by a vehicle. (Duh lol).

• davedave Ingolstadt, GermanyPosts: 84

1. Yes, I play it, but not in an excessive extend. I'm only level 8 right now.

2. Even in Pokemon Go I have turned AR off. I haven't used an AR based game before either. AR still has a long way to go and I even think it still needs better suited devices (Google Glass, Microsoft HoloLens for example).

3. Well, accidents. But they even happen without AR. I don't have any proof for this, but I guess even the Pokemon Go related accidents don't have that much to do with AR as it's only used when actually trying to catch a Pokemon (it is, right...?). These accidents probably happen when exclusively looking at the map on your phone while searching for Pokemons. I don't think that this is counting to AR yet.

But the main problem with these things aren't the apps or games that use AR or whatever but the people that are too dumb to take care of themselves. You really shouldn't blame apps and games for the problems caused by human stupidity.

• bradleybrenta@gmail.com[email protected] DeRidder, LAPosts: 8 ✭✭✭✭✭

nope never played it not big on pokemon