Dreaming of bootloader unlocking?

Comments

• Thanks for (almost) confirming. I really want to buy the Axon 7 but I'm only waiting to know if it will have an unlockable bootloader and also, if ZTE will release dev sources. That's basically what's keeping me from buying either the OnePlus 3 or the Axon 7 right now. It will be my first phone to develop custom ROMs!

• I would be really happy and i believe the same thing can be said for many other people. Happiness aside though.

This would be a very clever business and marketing decision too though in many ways her are a few that i could think of:

Due to populararity gain on xda more people would hear and talk about the phone and inevitably go out and buy it.

Those people would then make YouTube videos etc which would be great advertising.

And if the axon 7 can make a lot of people happy with an unlocked bootloader we the buyers will consider the next axon or zte phone our upgrade over other phones. We will also recommend it to all our friends and show off with all the features the community has created for this phone.

I for example have gotten 2 non tech enthusiast to buy the lg g2 with me as i could recommend it and then i modified it for them with custom roms and kernels.

The next point on why you should unlock it is because as a growing company free advertisement is very valuable as company's Like Samsung and apple dominate the smartphone advertising market from ads to billboards etc.

And lastly i would happily and many others I'm pretty sure would too give up the passport 2.0 deal whilst their phone is modified as it's only fair that if we ourselves break the phone after using it in new ways will not expect you to repair it. In fact if it was beyond repair i would probably go and buy the same phone again because i love the axon a lot meaning you'd sell the same phone twice and I'm sure other people would do the same as it is the phone to go for in 2016

Thank you for your time and have a lovely day

Kind regards, Jason

• I remember my old days with my fully-customisable ZTE Blade (the 1st one). That phone even handled 4.4... Good times...

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,109 mod

Happy Anniversary!  and thanks for the great update!!    :)

• ddrakeddrake Alpharetta, GAPosts: 318 ✭✭✭

Great post, and thank you for confirming-ish! 

• I am one that definately wants unlocked bootloader but when I read the first post it sounds so vague as to if and when I don't know. I really hope we get unlocked bootloader since we had no choice but to pay full price for a all carrier unlock but no bootloader unlock. I like to rom my phones just to have more control over what is on it. I already bought the axon 7 which I based my purchase on the webinar that stated not if but when. So I hope that it gets unlocked otherwise I won't keep it long because at this point I already have a S7 edge which I have been pleased with but have wanted to root and can't so this issue of bootloader unlock will in the near future will be the deciding factor on which one I sell.

• teutonjon78teutonjon78 USAPosts: 326 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure, they could pull a fast one and not do it in the end. And this half-answering will drive sales for the Axon 7. However, it would tank sales for the next version, because no one would believe it a second time.

• rczriderrczrider AshevillePosts: 352

Thanks for touching base with the community, ​!  I'm sure it's been a lively discussion within ZTE to the benefits and potential downfalls of providing an unlocked bootloader for those who are interested.  It genuinely means a lot to the community to know that hearing what we're saying and responding in kind.

As an active ROM'er and Android dev (apps, not ROMs), I would like to point out that in return we (as a community) and provide valuable feedback on what we do with our phones when the they're made wide open for us.  You want to gain traction in the US market?  Great!  Competition is good and the Axon 7 makes ZTE a real player.  If (when!) you allow us to unlock the bootloader, I invite you to visit XDA and see what happens

• ZTE needs to listen to the people and take them seriously give us the option to unlock and lock the bootloader if wanted , give us freedom we still will buy and use their products if they do something about it I personally need root and to flash new kernels come on axon 7 needs some xda development love too

• This is great new really it is...but I really wouldn't recommend dragging on this decision when the latest and greatest of Android is right around the corner.

Anyway I pre-ordered today so looking forward to it ....only thing that will make me hate it...is if it remains locked.

• jonathan3579jonathan3579 Houston, TXPosts: 424 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would you be willing to sacrifice your warranty for an unlocked bootloader? I'm hoping for an HTC-like stance where the device still retains it's warranty. (As long as it is a SIM free unlocked device.)

• Hahaha this is really awesome and Kudo's to ZTE for the hard work here and putting up with us and listening. I haven't pulled the trigger on the Axon 7 yet, but if things keep going this way I just may soon!

• I completely agree. With a nexus launch coming very soon, some people (me) would be willing to pay the extra money for a device with an unlocked bootloader and guaranteed support/updates for two years. I really want to get this phone but won't pull the trigger till there is a definite "yes", not insinuations.

• Well if it ends up being the case that they don't unlock the boot loader by the time the 2016 Nexus is release..or they do but don't push the update to Android Nugat like they said they would...then I would have learned a valuable lesson about ZTE cut my lost and get the 2016 Nexus and never look back again...regardless of how great a phone ZTE makes in the future. Unless they get the opportunity to build a Nexus phone in the future.

• Just please get & give definite answer sooner rather than later because we are all waiting

With an unlocked bootloader & Android n this phone will be boss !

Also please also obviously unlock the uk model /European model not just the us version

Kind regards Jason McLaughlan

Just adding a second reply -- it's important to get the bootloader unlocked, and it's equally important to get access to the kernel source (which is a GPL requirement anyway) and factory images (so that people can go back to stock easily). (Binary driver packages are nice too, but those can be extracted if need be.)

Those are sort of implicit in the desire for a bootloader unlock. What I've found interesting about ZTE for the Axon Pro, is that you can download the full Chinese ROM and the Europen ROM, but on the US support page there is no images posted.

• got it.will be patiently waiting.if you guys do it.i will be a very loyal long user to you guys  for a very long time. that's  what has made me be a nexus  fan boy for the fact that you could unlock the bootloader , install a recovery, install a rom all  through a simple tool kit.if you do decide to do this.it would be wise to create a simple tool kit which could perform all these  and that  way it would be even easier to do this as I can do this with a nexus device .  So think about it ,if you do , then having a simple tool kit which can make the entire process easy and an automated tool kit would make life easy for you and the developers to develop for it.

• What is everyone reading.

I must not understand the OP because I read "and these devices will never have any bootloader unlocking support"

Did I miss something.  Sounds like they don't listen and won't unlock the bootloader????

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,109 mod

I took it as Peter eluding to the fact that it was being discussed and worked in but can not be verified.  I strongly believe that it will be a reality because ZTE has proven that they listen to the wants and needs of the consumers and us here on this forum. The phone is already amazing especially for the price (worth every penny).  The possibility of the Axon 7 having the ability to unlock the bootloader in the future is very appealing. I am someone who roots my devices after regular updates start rolling out and (or)  when the devices warranty has expired so for me,  having strong indications (hints)  that it will happen is perfectly fine for me.  If all people are after is a phone with an unlockable bootloader out of the box then their are some out there currently to choose from. 

petershih was talking about two different sets of phones. First, the carrier branded ones, often gotten at a discount -- those he said have neverhad unlocked bootloaders and and never will. It's the carrier unlocked ones (like the Axons) that they are working out the unlocked bootloader for, since they are designed solely by ZTE and purchased directly by the consumer, there's no need to worry about satisfying the carrier requirements.

• This is great news and i will follow it's development carefully. All off the phones i have owned since HTC HD2 have been customized up the wazzu and needles to say i am addicted to modding phones and cant imagine living without TiBu,Tasker and Xposed.  I have decided to give ZTE a benefit of the doubt over HTC 10 on account of all but confirmed unlock for BL and preordered one. Hopefully this will be reality before my trial period is up because my phones will continue to be fully unlocked

• mantionmantion Knoxville, TNPosts: 157 ✭✭✭

TY peter, Many people hard of the Axon 7 before the OP3 went to market, many people like me want an SD card and front facing speaker.  Hardware wise the A7 is much better than a OP3 and worth the weight.  The truth is the OnePlus made the correct decision to support developers.  Yes there is early interest in the A7.  It will be a good phone for many people.  IF you unlock the bootloader it will be the most important phone of 2016 and will elevate you higher that HTC and LG. 

Does ZTE want to be an average brand or the best brand.

If you want to be the best and out sell, you have to make intelligent decisions, and make them when they matter most.

Now is the time to act.

• Not so sure that unlocking the bootloader would be enough to put them ahead of HTC and LG both of which have a much larger following and a longer history. It would help garner interest in the brand yes...but what really make or break non mainstream phones like the A7 is who much it appeal to devs.

Unless ZTE invest more money into their US market....they stand absolutely no chance against mainstream manufacturers like LG or HTC...with that said if they're going to have any real success in the US it will have to be through enthusiasts.

I already pre order the Grey version with the hope that the bootloader will be unlock by the end of the month....if not like I said...I'll just cut my lost  and never look back....and just stick with the Nexus line.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,465 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It all depends on how easy they make the process.

Many people like having an unlocked bootloader, and root access, especially when they see many of the cool things that can be done, but then when they see a 30 step mostly CLI based guide, they suddenly lose interest.

On the other hand, there are some less popular devices which had a largely automated setup process for getting your favorite 3rd party ROM installed, and those communities are rather large.

For example, on my tablet, the process of getting cyanogenmod installed, was simply installing a single driver, then saving the ROM, CWM, and gapps to the same folder, then double clicking on a batch file, and it took care of the rest.

If ZTE can develop a user friendly way of installing 3rd party ROMs, then it will gather a larger following, as you not only get the advanced users who like to customize the partition layout, and possibly dual boot, but you also get the novice user who wants a clean install, or a specific set of features that they like. For that novice user, imagine if they were able to simply copy over a few zip files, and have the prone take care of the rest (no CLI needed).

Even better, imagine if some of the advanced tasks such as multi booting could be simplified where a boot menu simply gave you the option to install a second, or third ROM, and when selected, it simply created a mass storage device which when connected to your PC. You simply copy over the ROM, and gapps, and rename the folder which will be used to name the entry in the boot menu, then when ejected, a simple confirmation would then cause the phone to do all of the work for you.

There are many areas where unlocked bootloaders can be improved in order to make it more user friendly. I am not sure how ZTE plans to go about their process, but it would be amazing if they innovated in this area by making it accessible to users of all skill levels.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,211 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Large developer and 3rd party ROM following may very well be far off from HTC and LGs of the world.  But who knows, the way  the HTC 10 and LG G5 have sold they might not be too far off.  Either way, I think they are listening and I think it's only a matter of time. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

• I love the design of the HTC 10 my fav design of the year....but I hate the size of the phone...way too small for me : (

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with you. I had an HTC 10 for a short time. I need a 5.5" screen!

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,211 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Now that I have a 5.5" with the Axon 7, I don't want smaller or larger.  This is my sweet spot.

• Also, release all the sources like other friendly dev phones, would you kindly, ZTE? So we can have a stable and fully-featured working custom ROM!

• aclegg2011aclegg2011 Posts: 9 ✭✭✭✭

I decided to cancel my bh preorder. Maybe once all the bugs are worked out and ZTE officially unlocks the bootloader and gives you guys the kernel source, might pick up the device. Until then. I'm done.