Projector Screens

ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,618 mod

I wanted to see what others are using for projector screens. I noticed Amazon has decent pull down/hanging style 100in starting at $49 shipped. I currently have a 100in pull down that I bought at staples because I had store credits and major discounts. I am thinking I want to place one out on the side of my shop. I have a huge backyard, and could easily go up to 300in if I build the screen myself, but wonder if I'd be better off with the projector paint(which I know next to nothing about) i'd be happy if I can go with at least 200in for a reasonable cost. So is anyone using the Spro2 outside? What screens are you using?

Comments

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,254 mod

I have a friend that used projector paint on his entire basement wall.  It's a huge screen and looks amazing with his projector.  He said it went on with no issues and you just can't beat the bang for your buck and size.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-MARQUEE-1-gal-MQ1-32-Cinema-Screen-One-Coat-Hide-Eggshell-Enamel-Interior-Paint-245401/204847381?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D24-Paint%7c&gclid=Cj0KEQjwt-G8BRDktsvwpPTn1PkBEiQA-MRsBT7DDZw8THN66_kQi_9u58oI_NQQZRIpICL5naAEQEIaAiSQ8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,618 mod

That is awesome, I just checked the link and was tempted, but they don't have exterior. at that price point though it may be the way to go, even if I need a few cans. I have seen the giant inflatables screens, which look cool, but that is way to much maintenance for me. I can see me leaving it out over night, and a bear attacking it.

• poohbiwonpoohbiwon USAPosts: 714 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm using a white, bare wall in my living room.

​ I have a 100in screen in my living room, but reallyyyyy want 200-300in in my backyard.  I do use the wall also in my bedroom, and it works nicely.

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I havnt thought of using mine outside yet but that mainly because I have a like 10 ft back yard lol (live in the city )

​ I lived in Philadelphia for a few years, and coming from Maine to there I could not get used to not having a yard. Everyone kept telling me to take my girls to the playground, so not the same. So I moved back to Maine, bought many acres, backed up by a neighboring 40 acres, Come visit, I will share. I grew up with drive-in theaters, Maine still has a few scattered across the state, and the Spro2 is like being at a drive-in, I have watched movies outback @ 220in and now definitely want to go a little bigger, and more permanent. There's nothing like watching movies next to the fire pit.

I know omg I miss it so so much, I was raised in Vermont. Just moved to the city 2 years ago for my company and I hate it haha, miss the woods so much. I also have many great memories going to the drive in, all the ones down here are closed but thankfully with showbox installed on the Spro 2 its way better than the theater lol

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,254 mod

We still have one drive in left in my area, just went last week to see the new ghost busters!  Nothing beatsxthe old school experience and nostalgia of watching a movie outdoors!  Hello Spro2!   

• Nice. I need to get this on a bigger wall.

Thats one of the my favorite parts of the SPro2, there is nothing better than watching a movie on a 100" screen lol, I just cant wait for the Spro Plus cause the only major down fall for me is the picture doesnt get a bright as I would like

​ At 220in it was beautiful, no quality loss. I have watched movies, and hooked up the xbox360, both are amazing.

​ plugged in it is perfect, on battery it is tolerable/decent but I'd only go without power if I was having an outage, or really needed too.

The biggest problem I have is I have 2 or more fish tanks in every room in my house lol so darkness is impossible in my house, you can see the picture still but its just not as bright as I need since it makes me squint my eyes to see some things on the screen if its like a night scene or something

​ That is weird, as I  have open concept, living room dining room and kitchen, all open, the living room runs the length of the other two. I can have lights on it both kitchen and dining room, as well as my laptop on the couch and still see everything on screen bright, extremely clear, and sharp. Plugged in of course.

​ Here is a link to a few pics I had posted. The cam on the phone I was using sucked, but you can definitely tell I have lights on in the rooms and the pictures on the screen is still clear and bright. I am in no way saying total darkness doesn't crank it up another notch, of course it does. If the fish tanks are putting off enough brightness that it is affecting it, lol they'd be gone, just kidding Is it possible that the tanks are sitting right next to the area/screen your projecting on? I would try if possible to place the projector in front of the light source(your tanks) to see if this helps. It seems I only have lighting issues/color wash when there is light on the front side, if the light is behind the Spro2, theres no issue. I definitely can not turn the lights on over the fireplace, which sits immediately to the right of my screen, by 10in, it starts to wash the picture. ​ Do you have issues with lighting and your spro2? I am curious now, if it could be placement of projector as to how it is handling the light? If that makes sense? I'm not the best at wording things ...lol

• sshasansshasan Staff Member United StatesPosts: 4,038 admin

This one might be hard to explain. I've noticed that if I place the projector in such a way that the projection angle is steep, I tend to have more washed out colors. When is straight on our only has a slight incline the colors are much better coming from the projector.

Environment lighting definitely plays a factor as well. Like you've mentioned the room doesn't have to be completely dark but I've noticed when I have bright white bulbs ( I think they are called natural light) in the room the picture is also clearer. The soft white bulbs ( the ones that have a yellow hue) usually end up washing out the color.

I'll see if I can dig up some documents on placement.

​ Thanks for responding I had wondered about the light color also, I am using white led bulbs, so maybe that factors in. Docs on placement would be awesome. I always try for a straight on shot, rather going at if from an angle, I have large rooms. My bedroom though, due to where my bed sits, I am forced to place it at an angle, and if not placed right I notice a difference. I think I may mae a little shelf on the wall, so that it sits dead on. LOL my house is going to look like a movie theater by the time I am done. $8.75 to visit me

I have noticed that the angle matters alot as well, because I use my walls which are like an eggshell color without angling right the darker colors seem to wash the picture out a bit, I never thought about the color of the light though, my tanks all have full spectrum leds, when they are off its not bad at all just when I have the lights on alot of movies tend to have to much dark scenes making it harder to see. Mine if almost a year old though and has served me pretty well

​ In case your interested amazon has 100in pull down style screens for about $50. I got the one is my living room from staples, and due to their repeated errors on my orders and other stupid stuff I ended up with a decent Elite screen for less than $20 when it was all done. I am thinking about maybe picking up one of these offers from amazon for my bedroom. I don't have a tv in my room, as I thought it was contributing to insomnia, and  I realize I'm not going to sleep either way lol, and I have been using the Spro in there, and just like you my walls are not bright white. I have convinced myself it's cheaper than a tv, and it is definitely more fun...

$52 shipped

Amazon.com: Gotobuy 100" Projector 16:9 Projection Screen Manual Pull-down (Screen without Tripod): Office Products

$55 shipped

Amazon.com: Onebigoutlet© 100"inch 16:9 Manual Projection Screen Projector Matte White Home Movie Theater: Electronics

thanks thats not a bad deal at all, I think I might grab one it will probably help alot to have a more white surface you use

• dabehrsdabehrs Dripping Springs, TexasPosts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭

give her an inch... she'll want 200!!!

I thought about doing something like that on the side of my barn when the kids are older and having indoor outdoor speakers so they could do movie nights with friends. Super dark at night where i am as I'm sure it is for you ​.

​ Actually 300in Yes it is very dark, and quiet where I am, and a 300" movie setup is just what I want. your kids would love it, almost as much as you. It really is a great way to pull the family back together after a hectic...

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't gotten around to projectors and screens yet   We have a 60" LED in the basement and my son yells at me that it's too big for gaming LOL.  Someday I'll get my man cave set up.  Interesting you are looking for an outdoor screen, ​ Reminds me of the old drive in theaters when I was a kid.

• He's complaining about a 60 inch TV? That's got to be a first lol

​ We still have several drive-in theaters scattered across Maine, but it is so much better watching movies in your back yard!!! After getting the Spro2 I don't really bother with the TV, I have Timer Warner, and use the app to watch live tv on the projector screen in the living room, and I use the wall in my bedroom. I have the Spro2 on a camera tripod, and it makes it extremely easy to move it between rooms and about 30 seconds to set it where I want it. You should definitely look into as soon as you are able!

It's funny you mention gaming, my girls are just the opposite, and love playing Halo on the 100in (xbox360), Angry birds however, is still just as maddening.

​ lol you just never know with kids!