Pre-Installed Malware??? - Axon 7

Uhhh, not sure if this has been posted already. But does everyone else have this app installed on their phones? Im using the Axon 7. It looks like malware, seeing as how bad the design and Engrish is on this. Plus the developer name chongdong?? I just noticed it today in my list. Tons of negative reviews and concerned customers. Supposedly it's how you update the phone, but it looks very sketchy.

Didn't install it, can't remove or change permissions. And it has access to EVERYTHING about and on the phone. Seems like a privacy issue...

Screenshot_2016-08-26-11-22-57.jpg

Screenshot_2016-08-26-11-35-43.jpg

Comments

• sshasansshasan Staff Member United StatesPosts: 3,589 admin

Are you seeing this on a US version of the device?

• Yes. In the Google Play Store, it will be listed under the installed apps. But it is nowhere else to be found on the device.

I will make an inquiry with R&D about this.

• Alright, thank you. I sent an email to [email protected] also. If they reply, we'll see what they say. This seems pretty concerning, and I would hate to have to return this phone because of big privacy and security flaws. Been loving it so far, but now I'm kinda scared to use it...

• npaladin2000npaladin2000 Wappingers Falls, NYPosts: 376

Hey, it's on my device too...

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,586 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have it on my phone as well.  I don't think it's a virus, or malware, etc...its just a systemupdate utility and how ZTE pushes software updates to the device.  The app description leaves a lot to be desired on actually what it's for though and could cause confusion.

• That's what I'm hoping it is. It's just that everything about it is super sketchy looking. Lots of complaints and criticisms in the reviews too. The fact that they can make such a great and elegant phone (from my experience so far), but have really bad looking and suspicious apps, just kinda boggles my mind. Shouldn't be that hard to make something look legit. Or at the very least have the developer name state it's from ZTE...

• DrakenFXDrakenFX United StatesPosts: 1,757 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like this app is the one taking care of ZTE SYSTEM UPDATES / OTA's...if you disabled and go check for updates it will force close.

So I guess is not a malware after all   ,@meesesglokmah

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,586 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

If you actually read some of the views ratings...most people are complaining because they don't know what it is...or what it does..or it came on the phone from the factory and can't uninstall it.  Some people just gave it 1 star...with no comment at all.  I agree, the app description leaves a lot to be desired on what it's actually for.  But people are always going to complain about built in apps they can't uninstall.  I think we are fine and perhaps ZTE can get the app description updated to something else.  But it's made by a third party...so who knows.

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 3,288 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

good to know.

Yes, you are correct. It is not malware.

• Yeah, I read most of em. Just a lot of confused people like me. Except they express their confusion through negative reviews, lol. It being made by a third-party definitely doesn't help. And it seems the complaints have been going on for awhile. You'd think ZTE would address it by now. Reading other forums show that people still don't trust ZTE yet with their products. And stuff like this definitely isn't gonna help.

• I see the same on my ZMax Pro. I created this account to make a post about this but I see that someone has beat me to it.

I am not comfortable with this app having these permissions. I'm also not comfortable that it is made by "chongdong" instead of ZTE. Why are the screenshots in the Google Play Store stretched and out of focus? Why is the text in the app images in French? Why does the developer not respond to the comments on the Play Store? Why does the developer have a random Tencent QQ email address ([email protected]) instead of an official ZTE email address? Why is ZTE using such an unprofessional looking app?

I hope you understand why am asking these questions. If the app was in Chinese and the developer ZTE I wouldn't care as much, other than the permissions seem a bit excessive.

If the app was made by a contractor instead of ZTE, (I'm just guessing based on the French) why is ZTE settling for this level of quality?

Google translate gives this for the French to English translation:

"updating the software Orange Neva 80 Current Version OFR FR P852F52V2.2 It is recommended to plug your charger before the update. (Battery level must be above 40% for installation.) Your phone will automatically reboot after the installation is complete. Please do not insert or remove the SD card during the updating process."

• WTF, this is just crazy/unprofessional...

Any idea if this is also the case for the A2017G (EU/Global Axon 7)? I suppose so, but...

• It's not Axon 7 specific, in fact the "Orange Neva 80" mentioned in the appstore screenshot is a carrier (Orange) re-branded/skinned/customized version of the  ZTE Blade V7 - Full phone specifications (with a Snapdragon 617) for countries like France and Eastern European countries...

• So... Has this been confirmed to be official yet? The "developer" changed its name from chongdong to Zzte. Still seems fishy. I got like 3 days left to return this phone, and I will do so if there are major security flaws like this one seems to be.

• AerospacemanAerospaceman Z-Community Administrator United StatesPosts: 1,256 admin

As mentioned above by ​ this is not malware and is official.

This is official software from ZTE.

There is no need to worry. Yes, there is an issue with the wording on the app and it has been brought to the attention of who handles this.

• And how do we know you're not chongdong?  Nothing in your profile indicates that you're a moderator or employee of ZTE.  In fact, like myself and every other poster on this thread, you are listed as a "Newbie."

Is this community not moderated?  Someone posted this issue in August and there has been no official response from ZTE.

I'm not sure if this is directed towards me or another community member?

It use to be an M for moderator but now a Z.

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 3,288 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like it is directed to you but, I don't understand what they are trying to say.

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 mod

here is a list for you of the Official Team for ZTE Community

Community Moderators

Community Forum Ambassadors
    (They Know The Ins and Outs Of Where Everything Is Within the Community)

Community Technical Ambassadors (These Guys Are The Educators. They Can Help With A Broad Range Of Technical Questions Related To Mobile)

Community Product Ambassadors (Need To Know How To Do Something On A Device? These Guys Can Guide You Through It)

• hollap - Specializing in AXON 7
    • musicdjm - Specializing In AXON 7
    • ​ - Specializing In AXON 7
    • ​ - Specializing In AXON 7
  • musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 mod

Untitled.jpg

• Thanks for the response. You may have won me over on the Axon 7.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,311 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the Community ​.