Axon 7: AKM DAC not useable in hi-res

2»

Answers

• Please check my post on XDA for workaround. It works flawlessly.

Stock Music Player workaround | ZTE Axon 7

• celticchryscelticchrys Posts: 234 ✭✭✭

No, sorry, unacceptable. I'm not deleting my massive amounts of carefully assembled over many years metadata just to make this crappy app work. ZTE needs to fix their app. No other audio app has problems with my metadata. Thanks for the effort to help, but nope, nope, nope.

• cbrutus40cbrutus40 Louisville, KYPosts: 30

Download Player Pro from the Play Store, also get the Player Pro Dsp Pack! The DSP Pack is a 10 band Equalizer with a pre-amp that makes the 32bit Hi-Fi Dac work like a charm!  It will make the headphone jack extremely loud and clearso be careful!  Yes i paid for Player Pro and the Dsp Pack but its well worth it!  Thank me Later!    

• celticchryscelticchrys Posts: 234 ✭✭✭

I'll install the trial version and check it out. Have to see how it compares to PowerAmp. Thanks for the recommendation.

*EDIT* Wow, that is very good. It compares really favorably to PowerAmp. There' s more clarity on the high end of things, using both this app and PowerAmp with a flat EQ. Listening to all the layers of intense symphonic music, for example. Definitely going to keep throwing different music at it during the trial period.

• Supposedly this is how it's implemented, you car read more about speculation in this thread on XDA

HIfI option, why does standard sound better … | ZTE Axon 7

So the story goes AXON 7 doesn't use the SD820 (at least not in the headphone part) but instead uses  both AK4961 (DSP) and AK4490 (DAC). The HI-FI switch is supposed to redirect the DSP processed bitstream to 4490 for conversion and aplification (supposedly better amp and oversampling then the one in 4961). There are links to spec sheets for both as well as another thread used to tweak volume in EU models via mixer_path file which shows the 4961 and 4490 being used in audio paths.

So PowerAMP might be misidentifying the device and we are actually hitting the DAC that is selected by HI-FI, but on the other hand i though the HI-FI access is done by direct access to HW libs, bypassing OS API, so who knows. But supposedly audio paths are not setup for SD820. Question is how is this affecting DAC utilization since PowerAmp info shows 24-bit vs 32-bit DAC capability although it could be said that this might be moot point and not detectable due to circuit noise

• cbrutus40cbrutus40 Louisville, KYPosts: 30

Great to hear!  Try playing around with the equalizer some!  Its some really good fine tuning on that music player!  Flat work great though!  On the 10 band equalizer you can turn the pre amp up or down so it can go even louder but if your like me i like to keep my hearing lol!

• dc1978dc1978 Sarasota, FL.Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

This has to be a software issue and hopefully within a couple more updates this will be resolved. Wonder if macro can fix this?

• You guys are all clueless, First of all that was an older version of poweramp, new versions don't state what dac you're using

secondly, this specific version you mentioned shows the same "Snapdragon 24 bit pcm" I even asked my friend who happen to own an Lg v10 to do it, same result even though his lg v10 dac was working on everything after latest MM update and the dac fix!

Thirdly, the dac is working all the time, ALL THE TIME! (well not on all music players) you don't even know how hifi sounds, you could easily test poweramp or other music players by turning between standard and super quality switch, you'll notice it and on super all music players give the exact same output.

so please stop bothering people who own certain devices about that subject, I swear I see clueless headfiers everywhere, it's funny because they don't even know how hifi even sounds like, this also applies to the people below esp. the guy who said "poweramp had lower volume on axon 7" when in fact it didn't (my axon 7 is sitting near me right now with ktx pro 1 and ksc75 for reference)

the guy who said it doesn't have a hifi toggle... dude have you ever went to settings?

now please close/delete this.

• cyruscyrus Posts: 7 ✭✭✭✭

@ghostface007 said:
    You guys are all clueless...

You're the clueless one. Every player, including the last PowerAmp Beta 704, all do NOT use the Hi-Fi DAC on the Axon 7. I've confirmed that several times over. PowerAmp uses the SD 820's onboard DAC, which supports 24 bit files, but sounds far inferior despite the superior DAC being truncated to 16 bit output.

Even the latest Android 7.1.1 B32 update for the 2017U model did absolutely nothing to address the issues with the stock music player, the only player which uses the main DAC.

• Lennie98Lennie98 Nijverdal, Netherlands Posts: 1 ✭✭

When using poweramp, switching between hifi in the settings menu changed nothing.
    When using foobar2000, switching between hifi in the settings menu did changed the audio a lot. Foobar2000 might be using the DAC?

• aexcorpaexcorp Posts: 18 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cyrus said:

@ghostface007 said:
    You guys are all clueless...

You're the clueless one. Every player, including the last PowerAmp Beta 704, all do NOT use the Hi-Fi DAC on the Axon 7. I've confirmed that several times over. PowerAmp uses the SD 820's onboard DAC, which supports 24 bit files, but sounds far inferior despite the superior DAC being truncated to 16 bit output.

Even the latest Android 7.1.1 B32 update for the 2017U model did absolutely nothing to address the issues with the stock music player, the only player which uses the main DAC.

I've noticed that PowerAmp no longer offers the Snapdragon path under Output settings since I upgraded to B32 (or maybe even with the prior update, can't recall now).

All it offers is "AudioTrack Output" and "OpenSL ES Output", but I know it definitely showed up in the past... I've tried to reinstall the Beta 703 that's offered in the Play Store, reset settings, etc. but nothing changed.

• cyruscyrus Posts: 7 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2017 1:35AM

@aexcorp said:
    I've noticed that PowerAmp no longer offers the Snapdragon path under Output settings since I upgraded to B32 (or maybe even with the prior update, can't recall now).

All it offers is "AudioTrack Output" and "OpenSL ES Output", but I know it definitely showed up in the past... I've tried to reinstall the Beta 703 that's offered in the Play Store, reset settings, etc. but nothing changed.

Strange, it does still show that option for me. Either way, it sounds noticeably worse than the discrete DAC/amp, even while outputting at 24 bits. The truncated 16 bit sound you'll get from the discrete DAC/amp is better than it to the point that the stock player is the only one I use.

Now WHY ZTE cripple it to 16 bit output, I wish they would tell us.