[BUG] [RESOLVED] Axon 7 (Nougat B19) 2D-performance issues.

abozhinabozhin Moscow, RussiaPosts: 53 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 14, 2018 12:37PM in Axon

Hi.

My Axon 7 has serious perfromance issues with scrolling. Almost all apps are sluggish for me. I tested performance in Google's apps on two devices:

• Axon 7 (Adreno 530 in Snapdragon 820 - 2016, Android 6.0.1 B27)
  • Shield Portable (GeForce 4 ULP in Tegra 4 - 2013, Android 5.1 Lollipop RTM)

I launched developer options and enabled GPU profiling as bars on screen. When bars are higher than horizontal green line - it's a sign of lag and problems in graphics backend of the device.

I have lags in all apps except games, they're working faster than on SHIELD Portable. But I'll show only stock Google's apps because everyone can test them.

Google Play Store

On Shield (Tab All in My Apps)

Screenshot_2016-10-21-20-39-55png

On Axon (same tab)

Screenshot_2016-10-21-20-46-07jpg

Google Play Games

On SHIELD Portable

Screenshot_2016-10-21-20-42-46png

On Axon 7

Screenshot_2016-10-21-20-46-57jpg

Google Play Music

On SHIELD Portable

Screenshot_2016-10-21-20-48-35png

On Axon 7

Screenshot_2016-10-21-20-49-02jpg

I like Axon 7 and don't want to change it, but this 2D performance for phone with fully capable OpenGL ES 3.1/Vulkan GPU is simply unacceptable.

UPD. Excuse me for possible faults, English is not my native language.

Retested on Android Nougat B15. Issues are present. Retested on Nougat B19, issues remain.

UPD. Videos from comments:

Axon 7:

Sony Z1:

Samsung Galaxy S7 (not ideal but much more consistent)

:

Сообщение отредактировано: Anzhel Bozhinov (added videos from comments)

Сообщение отредактировано: Anzhel Bozhinov. Retested on Android 7.1.1.

Comments

• abozhinabozhin Moscow, RussiaPosts: 53 ✭✭✭✭

Installed B29-update. Issues remain.

Can anyone confirm or deny my claims, please? It's a really annoying issue for me. I can't understand how so powerful GPU like Adreno 530 can't handle 2D-graphics rendering without those microlags.

• kevinmcmurtriekevinmcmurtrie Silicon Valley areaPosts: 317 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Is there some documentation on what the bars mean?  It could be that the GPU is nearly completely busy but the governor is running it at a low speed.  Stuttering is usually bad governor tuning rather than lack of power.  The governor has to guess when to speed up or slow down a processor for future work when it can only see past work.  Each speed change has a performance penalty, so making it boost the speed up and down faster may make stuttering worse.

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Apparently there is an app or apps that are causing your issue. 

Reset to factory, then add your apps one by one and test your scrolling issue. 

This is the best method to troubleshoot. 

Then once you find the app send a bug report to the app developer for investigation.

To learn how to submit a bug report to them you may need to contact them. 

After this if there are still issues let us know so we can assist with further troubleshooting and suggestions. 

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United States Posts: 4,561 mod

​ Hello, and Welcome to Z-Community. I haven't noticed any scrolling, or performance issues. I would like to see if perhaps one of our CPAs are able to assist you in troubleshooting this further.  I will continue to watch this thread, and should you need anything else please just let me know

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Yes, documentation is available on official Android website: https://developer.android.com/studio/profile/dev-options-rendering.html

Yep, maybe you're right. I've tried to toggle "Smart power" (AFAIK, it tweaks governor settings) feature, but it didn't change anything.

I'm not sure that installed apps cause those microlags. And unfortunately I can't reset my phone, because after this I will need to reissue my virtual debit card for NFC-payments (it's an security requirement in my banking app). So, I've changed two settings on my Axon 7 to test your suggestion.

1. I've enabled Don't keep activities.

2. Background process limit I've set to no background processes.

Those 2 options transform Android in a primitive OS that can't multitask (like Windows Phone 7 or iOS 2 ), because all background and cached apps are closing immediately after leaving on home screen. So, foreground app can use around 99% of SoC power.

Those issues are present after that even in stock apps like dialer. Look at the screenshot.

Screenshot_2016-11-15-23-37-00[1].jpg

Each bar above the horizontal line - it's a lag during rendering. It's a stock app, so it's a bug report for ZTE

​​, thank you for your answer! When I switched to Axon from my old Sony, I've noticed the difference. I can't show screenshots from Sony, but my NVIDIA's SHIELD Portable renders UI smoother than Axon 7 and I can compare them directly. Unfortunately, I don't have a 60fps camera to show difference on a video, but stock Android debugging app installed by default on every Axon 7 can show those lags as graphic bars on screen.

I read the documentation Profile GPU Rendering Walkthrough | Android Studio and played with it for a bit.  The lag comes from the app icons not being cached when they leave the visible area.  This one case looks like Google's fault.  Until several months ago, Play Store used to Out-Of-Memory crash if you scrolled through a very long list.  Google seems to have fixed that at the cost of icon rendering lag.  It got laggy on my other phones too.  The SHIELD Portable is running Android 5.1 so it may have the older Play Store that's smooth but prone to crashing.

I couldn't push other apps past the 16ms render deadline very often.

Thank you for your testing!

Play Store version on Axon 7 and SHIELD Portable is identical and SHIELD's Play Store reloads icons as well, so maybe OS version is a cause, but AFAIK Marshmallow is better optimized than Lollipop

And problem with scrolling lag is persistent even in stock ZTE Contacts app which don't have icons at all. You can see this on the screenshot above.

Of course, it's nearly impossible to match 16ms deadline (my Sony can, it scrolls without any lags but it'll be unfair to compare because it's running on a custom ROM and a custom overclocked kernel), but those misses on ZTE are noticeable when I compare to another device with a stock OS from manufacturer.

I created two videos. All my cameras are bad, but even on 30 fps it is possible to notice lags in scrolling on the Axon 7.

Axon 7:

Sony Z1:

Again, Android 5.x is not the same as Android 6.x.  5.x graphics will perform better but it's prone to OOM crash.  I get that lag on all my Android 6.x phones.

I understand, but I've shown the official Twitter app as well in the end of each video. Does it have OOM-crash on Lollipop? Because almost every single app on ZTE is lagging during scrolling, even the stock dialer.

I compared a stock Axon 7 with a Moto X Pure running CM 13.  They were similar except for the speed governors.  If you scroll very quickly, you may notice the bars suddenly getting shorter.  Give it a rest and scroll it slowly - longer bars.  When it switched was the only difference I could see.  CM13 was more reluctant to change speeds so it looked smoother even when it wasn't actually performing well.

I asked my friend with Samsung Galaxy S7 on Android 6.0.1 to create a video with the same test. The rendering isn't perfect, but it is much more consistent without serious frame drops like those on Axon 7.

Thank you for your profound testing, it's interesting. I think that Moto X shows lags as well because it has the same 2K resolution but much weaker GPU - Adreno 418 is 70% slower than Adreno 530 in Axon 7. It can be a reason on big resolutions.

• Hi abozhin, did you ever find a solution to your scrolling problem? I received my A7 two days ago and have the exact same issue. My Oneplus One is a LOT smoother in side by side comparision.

​, no, I didn't find anything. I think that CyanogenMod flashing can be a solution but not for me, because it will break NFC-payments. So, I will wait until the official Android 7.* update.

Maybe officials from ZTE (​ or ​) can say anything about this problem with 2D-performance, but I'm not sure.

• gryphticongryphticon Quebec, CanadaPosts: 315 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It isn't a isolated issue. My Axon 7 seems to perform similarly. Hopefully ZTE works now on optimizing the phone because it having the same performance as a S7 or worse while the latter is so much more bloated is unacceptable.

I retested those issues on the official Android Nougat OTA update and all lags persist. C'mon, ZTE, update drivers, optimize the Axon's graphics backend, do something - it's impossible to watch all those jitters and lags.

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

No issues here. 

Can you provide a video that show the same test (scrolling with enabled GPU profiling)? If there will be mistiming in bars - so there are lags.

BTW, I noticed that animation during screen rotation isn't smooth as well. But I can't provide proof, because GPU Profiling as bars don't show data in this operation.

• flyerandyflyerandy Steamboat SpringsPosts: 134 ✭✭✭✭✭

This I can definitely confirm! There's a huge difference in the smoothness of the portrait-to-landscape rotation animation. It reminds me of Android 4.0 ICS!

• I am having similar issues. I updated my Axon to Nougat and it is really laggy and apps are crashing.

• I just received the phone 3 days ago, and I noticed the scrolling lag, too.  I'm not sure what the solution is going to be, but it's a bit disappointing to see a phone like this have scrolling issues.  I thought it'd be a lot smoother and quicker with a SD820 and Adreno 530!

Updated to Android 7.1.1, but the issue remains. Long lists are still laggy as hell.

Screenshot_2017-03-17-22-59-53.jpg

edited September 9, 2017 7:47AM

Retested on the latest update. Still laggy on long lists (Play Store, Twitter etc)

I can confirm that Oreo finally improved UI performance. Well done, ZTE. This thread can be closed.