Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

[Survey] Complete this purchasing attitude survey and have a chance to win a $10 Gift Card!

yindanyindan Posts: 58 ✭✭✭✭✭

How would you prioritize factors listed in the survey when purchasing a $199 Smartphone?

This week, Consumer Lab would like to learn about which factors interest you when purchasing a $199 Smartphone. Please follow the simple questions below.  This survey should only take a couple minutes or less to complete.  Thank you!

1. Choose exactly 3 choices to rank them in the survey URL below.
  2. After completing the survey please reply here with your reasoning. (Although there is no correct answer, please provide sound reasoning to support your selection.)

http://purchasingfactors.surveyanalytics.com

Comments

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Done; I chose 6.0" FHD display, 4000mAh battery, and 2gb ram and 32gb storage option in that order, as I do want a big size screen phone and need a reasonable size battery also to make it last long. 2gb of ram is a bit low on today's ~$200 smartphone, most of them are featuring at least 3gb now I'm noticing. 32gb storage is reasonable though, as long as there is expandable storage.

The dual camera isn't that useful, would rather have a single sensor/camera that is good for low light and daytime photos along with a good image processor instead of dual camera and the bokeh features, etc. Quad core processor, assuming it's Snapdragon 4xx or 6xx series should be sufficient for this price range. A decent front camera is good enough, resolution doesn't matter too much I guess, as long as it's 5mp or higher and take good enough selfies for those who uses it.

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,618 mod

Display, battery, and the RAM. The other things jump costs, and don't matter overall for my use.

• DrakenFXDrakenFX Mobile United StatesPosts: 2,012 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

My Choices :

1- 4000mAh battery (yes please)

2- 6" FHD (1080p is my Min. On a 5.5" up to 6")

3- Dual Camera with such purpose is a good choice.

Why didn't pick the 2GB + 32GB ? Well simple that have become the standard on any device 5.5" and up, even if you use a downgrade CPU.

The 8mp front camera? A 5mp for a front camera is good enough for anything , what really needs to be consider here is the sensor type to capture on low light.

• coldheat06coldheat06 United StatesPosts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Completed.

I chose:  Battery, Camera, and RAM.

To me when people purchase a budget phone (around $199) they are looking for a phone that first have great battery life, because they don't want to always charge it (most folks that purchase budget phones are not looking for one with a gorgeous display).  Send is camera,  no matter what phone people buy people are always going to take pictures, so if the phone is around $199 then people will probably buy them for their kids and kids tend to take a ton of pictures and videos.  Lastly is RAM/space,..... this is necessary  to accommodate for all of the photos, videos, and games that will be played.

• maulgandhimaulgandhi United StatesPosts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Done. I chose Big Screen Size, Huge Battery and a Quad Core Processor. Battery Life is huge concern, every manufacturer is cutting down on battery. With 4000 mAh, the device would last for atleast 1.5/2 days. The new 4xx 6xx Series Processor from Qualcomm is reliable and would be good match with 4000 mAh battery. 2 GB RAM is not enough, it should be at least 3 GB  if not more. With 3 GB RAM, the system would be able to handle the task more fluidly and also be able to keep the apps running in the background for longer time. With 2 GB RAM, Android would be more aggressive and kills the apps in the background to make front end more fluid.

I strongly suggest going for Qualcomm Snapdragon 6xx series of processor!

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Done, I chose  4000mAh battery > 16mp camera > 1.2GHz quad core CPU.

I would have liked to see more choices, for example, no secondary 2 megapixel camera.

Imagine if we had a $200 phone which used the 1.2GHz quad core CPU, 4000mAh battery, 16mp camera (without the 2mp camera), and a larger pixel 5mp front facing camera, and with the savings from not going with dual cameras, we instead either get a better single camera, or an extra GB of RAM. That would benefit users a lot more.

A 4000mAh battery was my top choice, this is because many of the mid range SOC's use significantly less power than the top of the line ones, pair that with a high capacity battery, and we can realistically have a phone that can handle 2 days of moderate to heavy use on a single charge.

As other users have mentioned here and in the past, a dual camera system is not very useful. Most people never touch the artificial bokeh filter, as it is impossible to accurately simulate it, and the automated methods are not 100% accurate, and the effect can often look fake, especially at lower light levels where there is more sensor noise, thus you can more easily notice where the blur was applied in post.

A 16 megapixel camera can be useful, especially in good lighting, but if for cost reasons, a compromise needs to be made, e.g., a 1/3 inch sensor, then I would rather see a lower resolution sensor that can keep the pixel size above 1.4µm.

A mid range SOC can be useful, and the power efficiency can be a major selling point. For example, when I used the ZTE imperial max, the battery life was extremely good because of the SOC using far less power under load, and it not having to drive a 2560x1440 display, imagine taking the newer and more power efficient components, and then throwing in a higher capacity battery.

A mid range device may not be able to offer everything, but it can offer something unique that many other devices often do not, a device that you can realistically use for 2 days on a single charge without having to constantly keep the screen on 10% brightness and treat it as a feature phone instead of a smart phone.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Battery, CPU, and RAM.  Performance is needed in a budget device. 

• diamonddavediamonddave United StatesPosts: 394 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

1 Rear Camera

2. Front Camera

3. Battery

6.0 screen size id too big, 2 GB Ram is too little and 1.2 Quad core should be just fine.

• I choose

1. 6.0 FHD Big Screen

2. 2GB RAM for fast response, 32GB high capacity storage

3. 4000mAh high capacity Battery

My reasoning is:

Nowadays when shopping for a phone i care first about the

screen size followed by the resolution. The display should be 5.5" or bigger with a 1080p screen. I don't absolutely need a quad HD screen since most of the current VR stuff so far isn't bad for me and probably wouldn't see much of a increase in performance from it.

The ram and storage space are important because I've use phones with 1GB ram and 8GB of storage. This phone was a chore to use and swapping to the recent's screen would either cause phone to stall for a minute or more when re-entering an app or just not keep the app in the background. And with storage, the OS can easily take 4-6 gb of space and some apps can be 2 gb or greater. The bare minimum is 16 but 32 is far more acceptable.

Lastly it's battery so the phone can last all day of regular use, or atleast 5 hours of heavy use in a day.

I don't take many photos so the cameras are out for me. It just needs to be competent and doesn't need to be the top of the line. The processor does need to be good enough to play a majority of the games available and not hinder the user when multi-tasking or in general using the phone.

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

completed, for me top spec wanted was the 4000mah battery, then the 2GB ram and 32 GB of storage and then the FHD display. I choose that last mainly because I didnt like the idea of the 6" screen.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,254 mod

I chose processor, ram/storage and battery. For $200 I'm not expecting to take amazing camera shots but still want a snappy device that lasts all day long.  The screen is important too but those are my top  3.......ok maybe I would switch battery for screen as the third....but that's debatable 

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,254 mod

I also think that 2GB of ram is not enough and 3GB would be much better but it wasn't an option.

• I chose 2GB ram, 32GBP storage.  Quad core processor and 8mp front camera.

The reason I chose those is because my son uses my old HTC One M7.  The specs on the HTC phone match my choices close enough.  It is a very capable phone and is able to run today's apps just fine.

The dual-camera was a gimmick.  Fun at first, but quickly became useless.  32gb is fine for most people (except the movie and audio buffs out there and rooters).

I believe that would be a great entry phone.

• syaoransyaoran Manassas, VA/Toronto, CanadaPosts: 185 ✭✭

Considering it's for a sub $200 device.  The options were a bit slim. 

1. Dual Cameras

2. Large battery

3. Large display

The RAM and internal as well as the processor speed are too much of a joke to consider.  It it was at least 3GB/32GB, then that would have made the top 3 I chose and the same goes for the processor, if it had been at least 1.8GHz for the speed of the quad-core. 

• CPU, RAM, then battery capacity. I agree with several others here that performance should be the emphasis of a budget device. Any other feature, no matter how nice, is moot if the responsiveness of the device is laggy and simply serves to frustrate the user. Since it is a budget phone after all, providing 32 GB of storage space is reasonable, although a microSD card slot is always nice.

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I chose:

1. Processor

2. Ram/storage

3. Battery

All of these features relate to basic usability. Things like a good camera or a certain screen size are nice to have, and nobody would say that they don't matter, but a low- to midrange phone has to focus on the basics first. The best camera in the world doesn't matter if the phone is a laggy mess with no battery life.

• Well stated! Much more eloquent in comparison to my response.

• Performance, Ram/Storage and battery.

At a $199 price range looking for the basics to be done and done well.  Quad core to make the phone snappy for everyday applications that needs to be done for business and some side gaming if possible.  Ram/Storage as ram allows more multitasking without the app being unloaded as well as storage so there is space for music and pictures or applications.  4000mAH battery because the longer the phone doesn't need to depend on an alternative power source the better, for doing business and sometimes even just killing time while traveling.

• I chose 6.0 display, CPU, and 4000 battery because it's the main feature that affect everyday function of the phone. Also,  the 6.0 display makes the phone stand out among other phones and give it a little premium feel.

Other features like camera are not used everyday and can be easily enhanced by software.  Storage can be changed with microsd. RAM is useful for keeping multiple app in background, but really a major necessity for me since most people don't use more than 3 or 4 app at a time.

• snn5snn5 Southeast USPosts: 662 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

RAM  - and the CPU will follow

Battery - this is a given in my opinion

Front Camera - better video chats and self-shots

All 3 seem to tie together for me. 

• Ram - 2gb is the bare minimum 32gb of storage should be the standard minimum

Processor - a bad processor = bad phone

Battery - i would gladly trade a few mm of "thinness" for a phone that can be used without worrying about your next charge.

• nthall350nthall350 Kansas City, MissouriPosts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

1. Snappy processor. It doesn't need be a gaming machine, but it should be able to handle everyday use without noticeable lag.

2. 3 gigs of ram minimum. Also to increase responsiveness.

3. Non-bloated UI, or an unlocked bootloader that would allow me to do it myself.

• taotao Posts: 72 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked the most functional options:

Camera, battery, and storage.

Regardless of price, you want to maximize the functionality/utility out of anything you get.  Phones these days are about having great secondary features (camera, audio, gaming, browsing) while having the battery power and storage to not need to ration their usage.  The secondary features will vary in priority/usefulness from customer to customer, but I think you see my point.

• vagavaga USAPosts: 347 ✭✭✭

I chose battery, rear camera, and processor.

A 4000mAh battery is huge and something I wish more expensive phones featured. The rear camera sound like a good combination. I didn't choose 2GB RAM and 32GB because frankly I think those are rather low at this day and age. The front camera matters to me but not that much as long as it's good. I didn't choose the screen because I opine that a 6 inch screen needs at least a 1440x2560 resolution screen to have a proper pixel density. The processor is decent enough for a mid-low range phone so it is my third choice.

I personally wouldn't buy this phone, but depending on its performance, reliability, and software updates, I might recommend it to someone who is looking for a cheap but good phone that will last a full day.  I might also recommend it to older folk who generally like larger screens.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,827 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Completed.

Rear camera, RAM and Storage, and Battery

• p4ck3ts3nd3rp4ck3ts3nd3r Petersburg, VAPosts: 1

Finished.  6.0" FHD display, 4000mAh battery, and 2gb ram and 32gb storage option.

• chuckbortchuckbort Chuck United StatesPosts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

My choices were exactly the same.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting choices.  I went with CPU, memory, and dual camera.  Now that I think about it, memory is a cheap part in the cost of a phone but whatever.

Regardless, I prefer CPU specs above all else.  Mainly because a slow chip takes longer to do things which affects battery life.  Front facing camera? Meh.  If this is a $200 phone and your target audience is geeks-we don't take selfies.  If you're marketing this phone to carrier subsidized or MVNO's your typical user may care about a font-facing camera.  Older people care more for a better quality rear camera vs. The front camera.  As for battery, well, I leave that to others to pick.  I don't know how that would affect weight and charge times.

As for screen size, huge phones are so ridiculous these days.  No one makes a sub 5" anymore.  But maybe that's a smart move to make one under $200.  Basically, if you're making a big phone the 3 things I did not pick are more important.  If it's a normal-sized phone the 3 I did pick make more sense to the selfie-taking party kid.

• alikaalika Tucson, AzPosts: 4

Did the surveys. 2 anyway. I just bought the axon 7 mini. It's a nice phone. I don't have any issues with it so far. Other than some minor things probably 1d10t related to the lock screens and fingerprint scanner as well as some funky echo weird speakerphone tone echo type thing but I guess it could be worse.  I don't think I know this device as well as I will. Then I'm sure I will work through the issues overall very satisfied with overall design and construction of this phone.

Alika

This discussion has been closed.