Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Expandable phone that unfolds to a tablet

mtwaldmanmtwaldman Walled Lake Michigan. Posts: 25

I would love to see a phone that expands to be a tablet.  Wonder what other people think of the next gen in phones

Answers

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like its coming.

Samsung fold-able phone in the works for more than two years now, the company has been showing off several prototypes of folding displays as well.

I just posted some further information regarding this.

• mtwaldmanmtwaldman Walled Lake Michigan. Posts: 25

They have "promised" that for the last 3 years without delivering it.

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, I know.  Been following.  ;-)

• catman25catman25 Auburn nyPosts: 41

First time hearing about this.  Looks amazing...  Also looks easily damaged  thanks for the info

• matlobimatlobi Twin CitiesPosts: 16

Nascent technologies often take quite a while to mature in to a product that is ready for public consumption. In that regard, three years isn't a very long time.

• tajlundtajlund Billings MTPosts: 29

I would rather have something like a Yotaphone.  I phone with an additional e-ink screen.  I  prefer to read on e-ink and am tired of carrying half a dozen devices.  Plus an e-ink screen would save the day in case of low battery.  You would go from a dying phone to a phone that can continue to work for a couple extra days.

• hoff1313hoff1313 MississippiPosts: 9

I was going to say that Samsung was already working on it, but someone beat me to it. They even had a video of using some of the foldable devices. What is really interesting is the Cicret. It will project your phone screen onto your wrist. Their initial concept video was great, but the actual device that is hopefully coming out looks pretty interesting as well.

@hoff1313 Please post regarding the technology of projecting the phone on to your wrist.  I did see the concept video.  There is a very good amount of information, it all can be useful as well as interesting. 

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

IDK how i feel about something like this, tbh I think it's a bit much, I'd rather see smartphone makers focus on something we actually want, like idk battery life haha

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,618 mod

I love that technology is moving along, but a folding phone just doesn't seem like it solves anything. I understand the need for a large phone, I am using Alcatel Pop Mega due to its large screen, but I never wished I could fold it up. Maybe, I am alone on this...

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,254 mod

I don't think they ever promised an eminent release of this tech used in a phone just that the tech is here and now, and they are working on it. Great glimpse into the future of phone tech. Love to see if it takes off and catches on with other manufacturers as well.

I think if they can make a real big tablet device that is thin and folds to a pocketable device than they will have something great. I think it is much like the pre-smartphone  age; you just don't know how much you need something until it arrives and you experience it first hand. I mean can you imagine a world with out cell phones, right now? lol 

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,618 mod

You are right! I wasn't putting much thought into it. I was looking at the pics, and wondering why.... 

• judging by the pictures the foldable phones look great

• mossy375mossy375 ShanghaiPosts: 73

I think that while it would be interesting, it would need some massive engineering prowess to deliver the product in the next few years, and make it durable! I think initially it would also be rather bulky; imagine trying to fit it into your pocket!

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

This is a really an exciting concept and quite intriguing. Just looking at the mock pics,
    it's hard to imagine how the screen would be able to flex and bend without damage.

It's one of those things that looks like it would belong in a sci-fi movie, but these days it almost seems like if
    we can think of an idea than there is usually a way to execute it.
    Hope I can play with one of those some day.

I'm sure most all the tech we use today would have looked  like something out of a sci-fi movie to anyone 25 years ago....maybe even to some people today!!!!  lol The future is here, it is always in development, and I am ecstatic that we live in such an amazing technological era.  

• 2pointdooj2pointdooj Morocco, OujdaPosts: 590 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, anything can happen

Its hard, but not impossible.

There's a video on an actual prototype by oppo.

http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-unveil-first-foldable-phone-mwc-2017-bloomberg-697117/

Check out this post form Android Authority and Samsung's folding phone/tablet. The video is not new I've seen it on Youtube about three years ago  but apparently they have made a lot of progress and could hit the market next year. Interesting to see how it takes off. I'm  sure it will do well with Samsung advertising and just the wow factor of something like this will have people lining up to get one.

• dellasterdellaster Pahrump, Nevada, USAPosts: 103

I like the concept. We could have a return of the flip phone! A new Motorola RAZR that's all screen when you open it up. I loved that phone.

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

Exactly, seems rather gimmicky to me

• kennedy0201kennedy0201 MainePosts: 744 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always been very interested in this! A foldable device-- Im curious as to how this will be done in the future. Its hard to believe that this is where we are going with technology

• tajlundtajlund Billings MTPosts: 29

A long time ago Microsoft was working on a prototype device called Courier.  It was a book like tablet that opened up into both an e-ink screen and a full android tablet screen.  When closed it worked as a screen protector.  When opened you could drag items from either screen to the center and switch them back and forth between the screens, plus it had a lot of other features.  I loved the idea.  I prefer reading on e-ink, but use my tablet a lot. So, it would really be beneficial to me to have a device with both features.  And being able to transfer info from one screen to the other would be great, for instance finding something while browsing the internet that I want to read later I could drop it on the e-ink.  Added bonus, when battery level is low you can use the e-ink.

(There is a phone on the market with a similar function, but I would much prefer the tablet size due to my eyes.)

This discussion has been closed.