Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

We’ve become obsessed with sharing...

sshasansshasan Staff MemberUnited StatesPosts: 4,041 admin

The Z-Community Team has been talking a lot lately about sharing and we mean sharing everything! We want to get as much information out to the community as possible. We’ve come up with a lot of ideas, but the one that sticks out the most is, vlogging or a video blog. We can type stuff all day and have you read it; but is that really what you want? Are you more into watching YouTube-style content or leaning more towards text content? Should we do a 50/50 split?

Give us a little insight on what you think a good mix would be. Would you watch a weekly vlog? Do you want the team to vlog events, meetups and other activities we are involved with?

Leave some suggestions in the comments below.

Comments

• sigmarsigmar CT, USAPosts: 43 ✭✭✭✭✭

To me, it sort of depends a bit on the particular content you are sharing. Video logs would be great for when there is a big event (meetup, office event, tech expo) or a neat looking product to show off. But text is useful too because it is much easier to describe features and list specs of what ZTE is working on. A video blog per week would be great, I'm sure a lot of us would be interested in watching them.

• hiker75hiker75 FloridaPosts: 108

I like Video blogs when it has to do with cool products and such, as mentioned above.. meetups, events, etc.  For all the other randomness, I like having posts to read through, because then I can scan the text and see if it's of interest.  If so, I go back and read the whole thing.  With video blogs, it's harder to skip or scan through.

But maybe 1 or 2 video blogs per week would be good.. I do enjoy vlogs in general, but it has to be of interest to me or I get bored easily.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I love watch vlogs if the content is interesting enough.
    Some stuff just need to be put in writing, so it just all depends on the content.
    I'd tend to agree with the ideas of about 1 or 2 per week would be cool.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Vlogs can be useful if they are informative, though they take considerable more time and effort to make, and ultimately reduces the amount of content that is made. With text, if you make a small mistake, you delete the typo, and then enter in the correct text. With video, if you mess up, and cannot fix it with a jump cut, then you have to reshoot the entire clip.

For example, in this vlog style video, the person making it shared shared some experiences, and then finished it off with some informative content.

Adventure in ZFS Data Recovery - YouTube

Then there are some really bad vlogs which have content but no information, e.g., when someone vlogs about the sandwich that they are eating, or other time wasters.

Other than that, I find that text works rather well for sharing information, especially when it is highly specific information. It is easier to index and search through text, rather than finding one specific bit of into out of a long video.

• sshasansshasan Staff Member United StatesPosts: 4,041 admin

So that 10-minute piece I just did on me making pancakes shouldn't be included...

• AerospacemanAerospaceman Z-Community Administrator United StatesPosts: 1,424 admin

That depends... Don't get me started on pancakes!! Please leave your comments community members!

Content like that can be useful if it is showing something being done, or demonstrating a process.

For the really bad vlogs, what I had in mind was a video on a youtube channel that I used to subscribe to, where the user basically shifted from tech, to vlog, and would sometimes do a vlog where they were literally doing nothing but eating. In that case there was nothing to learn, not much information being shared, not even any humor.

Though there are some blogs which have no tips/ instructional content, but are fun to watch because of entertaining commentary.

For example, some of the totalbiscuit tastes - YouTube  videos are funny to watch.

Overall, there are vlogs out there where there is almost nothing going on (literally no talking, basically mundane realism taken too far), outside of that, vlogs that provide information, entertainment, or both tend to be rather enjoyable.

Pancakes are really good, but it is difficult to get the texture and density right so I hardly ever make them.

• maulgandhimaulgandhi United StatesPosts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sharing on youtube has been the most conventional way these days, so I vote for YouTube Vlogs. I also like reading as long as it is brief and to the point. VLOG all the way for me!!

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,072 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly I'm not much of a fan of vlogs, but I think a mix would be good. Unless it's a device review I'm not that interested in watching a video of someone talking. Most of the time I am multitasking and it's much easier to catch up reading some text here or there.

Instead of waiting till I'm in a place where I can watch a video and not disturb others or not have to be on alert or listening for something else. It's just easier to take a little break and read something, or if watching TV to read during the commercial break.

• ddrakeddrake Alpharetta, GAPosts: 318 ✭✭✭

If the vlogs have relevant content that is informative, then I would approve.  I personally love to read as well, so I enjoy forums like the one you have setup here. 

I love Video if there is something physically to show (i.e. phones, events, software, etc).  Other than that, I am good with short posts in text.

• ddrakeddrake Alpharetta, GAPosts: 318 ✭✭✭

But I love content in general, so the more connected to a community, the more ownership is felt too.  So keep the content, questions, suggestions flowing.  It would be great to see a Top 10 list of community requests and what ZTE plans to do with those requests in the future.  Like a product / feature roadmap.

Excellent feedback ! I will have to bring this up in our next meeting.

This is some great feedback... Keep it coming!

• eminayeminay United StatesPosts: 29 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everything has a preferred medium.

Information should be text. Showing off a new device or feature should be a video.

I don't think a video of someone talking at me trying to explain something would be worth watching, that's easier to read and comment.

• Some sort of split would be nice. I like to watch you tube videos but you would really have to have someone who makes it worth watching, I would rather read content than watch someone drone or fumble their way through a video.

• I'm with most others here. I think both are have there place. I love to see new videos on products. features, and events, ect but I don't want to watch a video of someone asking questions like this one for example. I read most of this on the go and as it was previously stated I can't always be somewhere appropriate to watch a video.

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I will say 50/50.  Most of us like the vLogging as we can watch what is being presented.  yet for some of us the RSS feeds are key to stay in touch with what is the latest.   I am one of those that will one day feel like just watching while if an article really piques my interest I will read it as long as it is not too long.  with all this bombardment of information we tend to have a short attention span so we must meet that limitation.  That will be the key to everything.

• Don't forget we have a report an button

• dryduckdryduck PA, USAPosts: 6

I would almost always prefer to just read text then watch a video. All too often nowadays video is being used just because it can, when it doesn't add anything and just slows down presentation of the material (most of us can read a paragraph of text in our heads considerably faster than someone speaking normally (understandably) will speak it out loud).

Of course, a picture is worth 1000 words, and there are many cases where actual demonstrations of actions are helpful. But watching someone recite text, maybe with some static pictures to illustrate, that's not something I am willing to sit through.

• 100% in agreement with dryduck. There can be too much distraction watching a video. Someone making strange arm and hand movements. Someone with a very distracting voice. A nervous speaker,fast speaker, slow speaker,and someone who circles camp three times to make the same point. I writing you have time to think and prepare and there are very few distractions.

• hoff1313hoff1313 MississippiPosts: 9

I really like text and pictures, but for some things a video just gives much more that text ever can. It really just depends on what I'm looking for. One thing I really hate though is being forced into a video only. I want some text to read if I don't want to spend all day watching a video, or having to put on headphones at work to listen to something.

• markstrootmarkstroot Terre HautePosts: 107

Real world testing. The new device will have 6gb of ram show us how it multi tasks. How the 20mp camera take pictures in all different settings.

We might just have to take you up on that! Thanks for the feedback!

Battery life using real world experiences too. I listen to 3 hours of music a day and watch hours of streaming videos and do tons of snaps show us it lasts all day

• davedave Ingolstadt, GermanyPosts: 84

It all comes down to content for me. If you can provide interesting content it's very nice to have a video. You can transport way more information over a video than you can with a simple text. That doesn't mean that I want to have videos only, though. I'd suggest you make a 70:30 split in favor of text. Videos should only be published if there is something that's really worth making a video about. For me this would be the way to go.

Maybe you could introduce different styles of videos like [Vlog] where you show your work life, maybe some personal life, too, if you want to. Then I could imagine that some kind of [What's Next?] video would make sense as well where you talk about the upcoming surveys, projects etc. Another thing that might work out is a [What We've Learned] kind of video where you could talk about the stuff that you learned by doing different surveys, projects etc. and which data you collected by doing these kind of things.

And please do it in a casual and chilly kind of video, more like we are your buddies rather than we are your customers. I think that would put a very nice touch to the videos and many people would really like to watch them

Edit:

Oh yeah, and product demos would be really nice as well! Maybe some kind of videos that guide us through new features or devices!

With all that stuff I suggested you might go up to 60:40 ratio as well

Greetings!

Excellent feedback !

Dave hit the nail on the coffin offer this man a job at for this Z Community  

• luis.v18luis.v18 Dallas,TxPosts: 41

I like 50:50 the best since I'm more of a visual learner. I can really get more information through a video but it is always nice to have the information through text as well.

I agree as well I am a visual learner as well. I would like to know all the specs listed on the bottom and each one discussed on an individual level and discussed in easy to know terms.

This discussion has been closed.