ZMAX Pro Bootloader Unlock Request

I am requesting that users be given the option to unlock the bootloaders on their ZMAX Pro devices, much like you did for the AXON 7 owners.
I can speak for myself personally, and will assume that there are others who agree, that they are willing to forego their factory warranty for the

benefits they gain from being able to lock and unlock their own bootloader.

Dan Heading

Comments

• I totally 100℅ agree. I can't stand this it's my phone, it's paid for,  so why can I not do with it what I want?

• Truth be told I am not holding my breath. Even if we are legally allowed to modify the software on the phones in the US, most cell manufacturers like to pretend we don't, and with a foreign company we have little hope but to boycott the product, or hope they help us out. Most people won't even bother, just the enthusiasts, developers and researchers. Perhaps a Nougat update will come with fastboot and a bootloader unlock option lol.

Love the phone but really miss my Nexus.

Dan

• Please give us bootloader unlock for the Zte Zmax Pro. fastboot would be great also. I would think more people would buy zmax pro if Bootloader was unlocked. Don't you like money?

• Seconded

• benkoresbenkores Staten Island, NYPosts: 329 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to break it to you all but its not gonna happen. If you would've bothered to search this forum instead of creating another useless thread on the same topic you would've known that ZTE cannot unlock the bootloader on carrier-branded devices due to their contracts with the carriers. The Axon 7 got its bootloader unlocked because it is an unlocked phone, so ZTE was able to do it.

• I think I'm going to throw my zmax in a trash can.

• I was playing around with ZTE Zmax Pro and i figure something that the bootloader img is not there because just like a Nexus Phone you need to hold up+down+power until the ZTE logo pops up and its just a dark screen with the circle icon glowing they just need to add the bootloader img to it i hope ZTE can release a zip file to add this back on

• If this is true please post it on our Android Forums thread for ZTE ZMAX PRO root

• coldheat06coldheat06 Fort Worth, Texas Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi ​ I would love for the bootloader to be unlocked...... but keep in mind that the ZMax Pro is a carrier device... unlike the Axon 7...... with that being said it is actually up to the Carrier if the device can be unlocked... not unless that OEM has that clause in the contract...

• limpnoodlelimpnoodle TennesseePosts: 2

It shall never happen, plain and simple. Sorry guys and gals.   

• coldheat06coldheat06 Fort Worth, Texas Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Never say Never.

• limpnoodlelimpnoodle TennesseePosts: 2

Well that's the way I'd like to think but at this rate it sure does seem it is taking forever.

• joshgodkinjoshgodkin New YorkPosts: 1

BUMP BUMP BUMP this post x10000000

Why did I just received an Android update with no new features, actually it slowed my device considerably. My phone is actually carrier unlocked, I'm gonna bring my device to another carrier currently I'm running on MetroPCS but the service sucks around here, maybe gonna try straight talk. Anyhow...I'm just curious to know why I have a bootloader unlock switch within my dev options???.. if it's not possible to unlock the bootloader of this device, or ZTE doesn't want it why would they include that specific switch under the dev options...? Anyone have ant familiarity with flashing a boot.img to one of these devices via the SDK? Im sick of this variation of Android. It doesn't utilize the full potential of this powerful device. Any new info will be helpful...I'll be working on an unlock in the SDK over the next few days if anyone has any suggestions...I've read about bricked devices after attempted Boot loader flashes...will be back soon!

• musicdjmmusicdjm Worcester,MA Posts: 2,691 mod

The option is simply there because its part of the Android code, its not specific to the Zmax Pro.

• Like musicdjm says that's a standard Android feature. It doesn't actually unlock the bootloader on this device. There have been dozens of devs working on root/flashing since release but as far as anyone knows there's still no way to flash anything on this phone and no way to get root. You'll be a hero to many if you can figure out a way to do it yourself.

• asianrockerasianrocker ILPosts: 243 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL. The new update also F'd up your SMS app. Ugh. Which reminds me.. I am gonna instal an SMS app now. Which I NEVER do on ANY of my phone.. ugh.

Like you, the only reason I want root now is so I can update the OS on this **** phone.

• alton28alton28 Posts: 12 ✭✭✭✭

Get this people you own the phone but the software too the phones it up the carriers if they want unlock the bootloder zte will unlock it if the carriers say ok

• wolfie0827wolfie0827 Posts: 5 ✭✭✭✭

"Get this people you own the phone but the software too the phones it up the carriers if they want unlock the bootloder zte will unlock it if the carriers say ok."

Saying that is like your car maker saying you own the car but they own the engine! I own the phone, I also own the stuff (Chips, Software- The copy that is on the phone, the Battery, etc.) that is required for it to actually work as what I paid for!

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@wolfie0827 said:
    "Get this people you own the phone but the software too the phones it up the carriers if they want unlock the bootloder zte will unlock it if the carriers say ok."

Saying that is like your car maker saying you own the car but they own the engine! I own the phone, I also own the stuff (Chips, Software- The copy that is on the phone, the Battery, etc.) that is required for it to actually work as what I paid for!

You own the use of the software not the software itself.

• vrmcbeighvrmcbeigh Dallas, TXPosts: 19 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@wolfie0827 said:

Exactly. You own the phone, the hardware. You don't own the software. BUT - it's maddening that we can't use our hardware the way we want to. With a car, you don't own the ECU software, but you're generally able to re-flash it with a modified version to suit your needs (at the risk of voiding your warranty, of which those who perform that modification are aware, just as with phones).

Third party ROMs and bootloaders tend to be more stable, in my experience, and can make the phone much more fluid and enjoyable.

@vrmcbeigh said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@wolfie0827 said:

Exactly. You own the phone, the hardware. You don't own the software. BUT - it's maddening that we can't use our hardware the way we want to. With a car, you don't own the ECU software, but you're generally able to re-flash it with a modified version to suit your needs (at the risk of voiding your warranty, of which those who perform that modification are aware, just as with phones).

Third party ROMs and bootloaders tend to be more stable, in my experience, and can make the phone much more fluid and enjoyable.

I agree. I've done that with my car but I guess that the car manufacturers haven't figured out a way to prevent it like the phone manufacturers.

• vrmcbeighvrmcbeigh Dallas, TXPosts: 19 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@vrmcbeigh said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@wolfie0827 said:

I agree. I've done that with my car but I guess that the car manufacturers haven't figured out a way to prevent it like the phone manufacturers.

Eh, I'm thinking that, if they wanted to, it would have been done already. In fact, some cars are difficult to flash and the ECU protections haven't been cracked on that many more. That being said, you normally don't find much aftermarket support for low-volume vehicles, which seems to be the case with our phones. There is a concerted effort being done over on Android Forums for rooting, but there hasn't been a full breakthrough yet.

/home/leaving?target=https%3A%2F%2Fandroidforums.com%2Fthreads%2Fzte-zmax-pro-official-root-discussion.1110550%2F" class="Popup

@vrmcbeigh said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@vrmcbeigh said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@wolfie0827 said:

Eh, I'm thinking that, if they wanted to, it would have been done already. In fact, some cars are difficult to flash and the ECU protections haven't been cracked on that many more. That being said, you normally don't find much aftermarket support for low-volume vehicles, which seems to be the case with our phones. There is a concerted effort being done over on Android Forums for rooting, but there hasn't been a full breakthrough yet.

/home/leaving?target=https%3A%2F%2Fandroidforums.com%2Fthreads%2Fzte-zmax-pro-official-root-discussion.1110550%2F" class="Popup

They need beta testers if you don't mind bricking your phone.