Introducing the Axon 7! [the official Axon 7 pre-release thread]

petershihpetershih ZTE FanaticUnited StatesPosts: 378 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This is an exciting morning, having woken up to a plethora of Axon 7 news from last night's launch event in China! For the rest of us on the other side of the Pacific, there are still many questions unanswered. That said, here is further info about the Axon 7 that we can expect here in the US shortly.

• When will it be launched in the US?
    • All signs point to a mid-June release date
  • How much will it cost?
    • While the official price in the US has not been announced, expect it to be below $500. Quite impressive for a flagship device, wouldn't you say?!
  • Will there be any differences between the US and International versions of the Axon 7?
    • The US version will have more of a stock Android experience (woot woot)! This feedback has been cleared voiced by our US fans and we hear you loud and clear!
  • What colors will be made available?
    • There will be two color choices: Ion Gold and Quartz Gray. Which will you choose?
  • Will it launch with Marshmallow or Google N?
    • While it ships with Marshmallow, we are working to enable Google N upgrades as soon as possible
  • Any news about VR compatibility or accessory availability?
    • Something is brewing here related to VR, but we cannot say more at this time. Check back often for updates!
  • Will it be sold through US carriers?
    • The Axon 7 will be sold as an unlocked phone to be used on US GSM carriers such as T-Mobile, AT&T, etc. You will be able to purchase this from ZTE USA and major retailers, after which you can pop in your GSM SIM card to get it fired up. Note: the phone itself is banded to support CDMA networks as well, such as Verizon and Sprint, so we hope to make the Axon 7 phone available for CDMA carriers, though this is not certain at this time
  • Does it only come in one size?
    • One size doesn't necessarily fit all, we agree. That said, there is only one size for this launch, but we are always evaluating variants of our products, be it size or form or software or anything else
  • What else is included with this phone?
    • Every Axon purchase comes with a 2-year warranty

As the days and weeks tick by before our official US launch, stay tuned to this thread for more updates and sneak peeks!

Comments

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds good the price is very impressive for the specs, as I was reading this PC Mag article on it. A 5.5 inch QHD AMOLED screen, SD 820, 4GB of RAM, 64GB of storage plus microSD, dual front facing speakers, 8MP front facing camera, 20MP f/1.8 rear camera, 3140mAh battery, dual SIM, and USB-C. It beats the 6P in specs with a very similar price. Plus it's Daydream compatible and has a nice design. I'd go with gray without question if I got it. I'm so glad you're sticking to a near stock Android experience. Glad to hear you listen to feedback on that and makes me want that phone even more.

My only 2 questions would be how's the picture quality and battery life? Just because you have a lot of megapixels doesn't mean it's going to look good, but the low aperture is a good sign.

Source: Hands On: ZTE Axon 7, the First Google Daydream VR Phone | PCMag.com

• AerospacemanAerospaceman Z-Community Administrator United StatesPosts: 1,379 admin

Thank you Jason!  This is the kind of feedback we like to hear!

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,229 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like an awesome phone. Hoping to get a hands on for that phone soon! Loving the inexpensive flagship spec phones

• ddrakeddrake Alpharetta, GAPosts: 318 ✭✭✭

Wow, the specs sound impressive!  MicroSD and more of a stock Android experience!!!  wooo hoo.  I would purchase a grey - not a huge gold fan The price seems very aggressive for a flagship.  Also, 2 year warranty?!  Is any other manufacturer doing this?  That's pretty killer.

Will it support bootloader unlocking so custom ROMs can be installed?

• AerospacemanAerospaceman Z-Community Administrator United StatesPosts: 1,379 admin

Hello David.  Thank you for your awesome thoughts on the new AXON 7.  As for your question about the bootloader, that is certainly a popular request and we understand why it's beneficial. At this time, we are still evaluating different solutions and expect to have an answer for the Axon series shortly.  Keep on posting!!

• ddrakeddrake Alpharetta, GAPosts: 318 ✭✭✭

The community is chanting:  Bootloader!  Bootloader!  Bootloader!  

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,811 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The specs sound quite nice for sure. Don't need to rehash them all, but the inclusion of Daydream is exciting to hear this early in the game.
    As for more colors, gold isn't something I would buy today, but I would go for a dark gray for sure.
    As someone else already mentioned, what we don't know is the performance level (and near stock Android is a great sign),
    then there's the battery life and the camera. Price seems reasonable if the specs are true to form.
    Surprising to see it will be available in the U.S. so soon.
    Less than a month? Hopefully it caters well to the demands of the western market.

Huawei also offers a 2 year warranty, not sure about others though.

It just occurred to me that OIS isn't mentioned anywhere on that PCMag article. Does the Axon 7 not have OIS? I find optical image stabilization is really important in mobile photography.

• petershihpetershih ZTE Fanatic United StatesPosts: 378 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Indeed it does have OIS, which I agree is very important!

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,633 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The warranty offerings from ZTE  really go above any beyond what I have seen from many other devices.

For the colors, I am fine with either gold gray, as it is not using glossy plastic, thus no fingerprint magnet.

Oh good news thanks , wish they hadn't left that out on PCMag because it's really a great feature on phones

• arjunsarjuns Charlotte, NCPosts: 112

Hello - Does Axon 7 supports Android Pay in USA?

• leeohnelleeohnel Watertown, NYPosts: 5

I've been working in the mobile phone retail industry for seven years. I feel like ZTE are one of those underrated manufacturers in which people often overlooked because of the marketing of bigger names such as Samsung(which IMO, are extremely overrated). ZTE's mid to low end devices are usually the ones I recommend to people. However, looking at this phone, I have it pegged for surprise of the year!

• navydoc201navydoc201 This side of insane.Posts: 1

I've never looked at ZTE, stayed more mainstream. This phone certainly got my attention though! It has everything I could want, I think. I'm definitely going to do some research now... ZTE has a new fan!

• sshasansshasan Staff Member United StatesPosts: 3,985 admin

We're glad to have you ! Welcome to Z-Community!

Glad to have you "On Board", stick around and learn as much as you can.  Everyone is here to help and answer any questions you have!  Look around the community and enjoy!!

• I'm very interested in this phone. One question I have is I love phones with fm tuners on them. Will this be an option?

• anthonygaddisanthonygaddis West Monroe, LouisianaPosts: 70

I honestly can't wait for the release otbis phone. I have the Axon Pro right now  and it is unbelievable. I never have any performance issues and now zte is releasing a better axon? Whattttt???? I didn't think there could be better. But I'm anxious to find out how better the Axon 7 is. I recommend axon to all my friends. Even talked my wife into giving up her iPhone for one. And she's love it ever since. ZTE is going places. Especially with their Axon series. Seems to me every axon is always better than the other flagships at a much lower price. Zte is leading the way for us consumers.

• eminayeminay United StatesPosts: 29 ✭✭✭✭✭

More questions as launch approaches. Is there any more detail on the USB-C port? Is it true 3.1? Any other benefit, such as video out?

Also, a 2 year manufacturer warranty standard is crazy. I hope the warranty process itself is also smooth, I know people complain about other manufacturers such as Huawei, and I've had some issues with LG. Samsung has been good, and devices bought from certain retailers (Google Play and Amazon) have also been pretty good at warranty claims.

A US variant with 6 GB of RAM and 64 GB of storage will do

And to answer your question, it will likely choose the gray.

• luis.v18luis.v18 Dallas,TxPosts: 41

I will admit that i had not done much research or heard of ZTE but with specs like this i cant wait for it to be launched. I am definately going for this phone and i like the two color options on it. Leaning more towards the gold   .

• Will the 7 have the same warranty and special customer service support like the original axon? Hopefully!

• eminayeminay United StatesPosts: 29 ✭✭✭✭✭

And just to be clear what makes a "good" warranty versus a "bad" one:

A good warranty system makes it pain free to do the claim, especially for a known problem. The user is also never with a device as they are cross-shipped, so a replacement device is sent out first, then the defective device is shipped back. Also, the consumer generally has no charges (shipping or otherwise), but may have a credit card on file if they fail to return the defective device. Or they have a good, hassle-free return policy (14-30 days).

A bad warranty system does whatever they can to deny a warranty claim, even with mounting evidence of the problem, or fail to take a warranty claim for an unrelated reason (my USB port does not work, but the software on the device has been customized "voiding" the warranty). They also expect a user to ship out their device at their cost and wait 2-3 weeks before a replacement arrives.

• Pretty much answered oat of my questions lol. Can't wait to get my hands on one. I see more and more folks with the low end ZTE prepaid phones here in the US and I gotta say it got me curious!  So far the A7 looks great on paper.

• weldzorweldzor BurbankPosts: 1

BATTERY SIZE?

• sshasansshasan Staff Member United StatesPosts: 3,985 admin

We're looking at a 3,250 mah battery for the Axon 7.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,229 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

3140 mAh battery size

• petershihpetershih ZTE Fanatic United StatesPosts: 378 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

All signs at this time point to mid-June. Check out early reviews for performance specs. As for battery, I can tell you that it won't disappoint (and that's coming from a former ZMAX power user)!

• phoenixpremierephoenixpremiere MarylandPosts: 4 ✭✭✭✭

I'm excited to see that manufacturers such as ZTE are including radio bands that are compatible with U.S. CDMA carriers. It has been a sticking point to be on a carrier such as Verizon and having a limited selection of unlocked phones that are free of carrier bloatware. I'm can't wait to get my hands on the Axon 7!

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,633 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It would be cool if there were a version with a 6 inch display, and a 6000mAh battery.