Reset lockscreen pattern, forgot original

Is there a way to reset the lockscreen pattern if you have forgotten the original pattern? I'm currently using fingerprint to unlock so it's not an issue to get into the device, but I just realize that if my finger print scanner should stop working for whatever reason then I'd be locked out. I normally used a set pattern but I remember I had some issues after I installed the CM rom so I did a factory reset and reinstalled stock ROM but now the pattern I have been using for years is not being recognized and I have no idea what pattern is stored now. Of course trying to reset the pattern requires the current pattern. Is there any way around this?

Best Answer

• yonoshiroyonoshiro Trinidad and TobagoPosts: 23
    Accepted Answer

If you are rooted, you can use a root capable file explorer to navigate to /data/system.

From there, you can delete the files "gatekeeper.pattern.key" and "locksettings.db" and then reboot.

That should do the trick and allow you to set up your lockscreen security afresh. That said, you do so at your own risk and detriment.

Please do a backup beforehand.

Answers

• stanthemanstantheman Posts: 293 ✭✭✭✭✭

I may be wrong but...I think the only way is with a factory reset...yuk

• louisdlouisd Arguer in Chief United StatesPosts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

and make sure you know the google account that was on the phone before the reset because resetting a locked device triggers the kill switch and the only way back in is using the Google account that was in use on the phone before the reset.

• jtma11024jtma11024 Bluffton, SCPosts: 91 ✭✭

You could try Android Device Manager.

Find, lock, or erase your lost phone or computer - Accounts Help

Login and set a new lock password.

Best of luck.

• louisdlouisd Arguer in Chief United StatesPosts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

This hasn't worked since Android Lollipop.

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

To clarify a little, device manager apparently doesnt allow you to change the lock screen anymore if there is already one active, it simply says that one is already active and so the new one is not needed.. You are still able to lock the device remotely but it simply activates your current lock screen settings

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,633 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

When a number of malicious apps began to abuse that function, google patched it so that some of the ransomware at the time could not lock the device by setting a new pin.

While it means less ability to bypass the lockscreen when you forget the pin, it is better than leaving a security vulnerability in place.

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thats right I completely forgot all about that,always such a great wealth of knowledge

• Thank you! That did the tirck

• yonoshiroyonoshiro Trinidad and TobagoPosts: 23

Glad to hear it.

On this phone, it is a known issue with doing nandroid backups and restores with screen security enabled. Sometimes the password/pattern/etc gets corrupted so that your existing password/pattern/etc no longer works. Luckily, it is easy to fix.

• I have a similar problem, but I was using a password instead of a pattern.  Is there a similar solution?

Also, I'm not rooted, what's the easiest way to do that?

Thanks in advance.

• WhiteteWhitete United StatesPosts: 1 ✭✭

If you have set up a Google account, use the Forgot Password and Find My Device to unlock the password locked screen. Use Find My Device: Visit the "Find My Device" website <Login to Google Account <Select Android Phone <Lock" in the top left corner to forget the password <Reset the new lock screen password.

In addition, the Android Debug Bridge can also reset lockscreen pattern password: Android phone plugged into a computer with USB <Open a command prompt window or terminal window in the ADB installation directory on the computer <Enter the command and press Enter: adb shell rm /data/system /gesture.key<Restart Android device, the security lock screen temporarily disappears <Set the new pattern password immediately.

• anatheaanathea Arroyo Grande, CaPosts: 2 ✭✭

why cant I just upgrade my old phone ( axon 7 mini) to the new axon 9, since they dont make the axon 7 mini any longer?

• anatheaanathea Arroyo Grande, CaPosts: 2 ✭✭