I don't understand the complaints?

Hello all,

New Axon 7 user here running B29 software.  I have read the reviews and complaints and to be honest I am not sure what is wrong with the phone.
I find the screen to be beautiful the design attractive and the speakers to sound great and are loud. The only negatives I can find so far is the cap buttons are not back lit and are a little too close together

I don't care for ZTE dialer and contacts but you can just install google apk to fix without root so is there something I am missing? If so please let me know.  For reference I also have a oneplus 3. I am evaluating both to decide

which one I may sell though a may keep both the jury is out.

Thanks!

Comments

• clocksclocks ColoradoPosts: 39

I too have had a great experience.   One small thing I've noticed inconsistently is screen flicker at the top end of the brightness range.

The phone dialer is great for my most common contacts but not dialing something I lookup.

The one other annoyance...  Outstanding screen and resolution and then don't take advantage of it with more dense home grid?

And really the most difficult thing is the camera.

Overall great experience. Just a few tiny thing and one almost lethal.  The camera is just too important to screw up this badly.

• vanguyvanguy USAPosts: 597 ✭✭✭✭✭

The A7 is a great phone. It has the potential to be the absolute best on the market.

The A7 received rave reviews from all professional reviewers. It has been touted as a "flagship killer". Many who purchased the phone have had high expectations.

The only 2 cons mentioned by all reviewers was its camera and "software issues". The complaint about "software issues" is hard to understand until you start using this phone on a daily basis. Then you begin to understand that features you used on your last 3 phones aren't on the A7. Some settings are there but are not adjustable like on your last 3 phones.

Almost all of these issues are software related and can be fixed. I think one of the biggest problems is that ZTE has been tight lipped about the issue. They have not specifically acknowledged any of the bugs nor have they officially stated when or if they will be fixed. We are all keeping our fingers crossed that the upcoming OS update will be the fix.

If ZTE comes thru and fixes these software issues, the A7 will be the best phone on the market.

• stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 805 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

You can use Nova Launcher to increase the density of the home grid.

• Is going to be interesting hearing about the comparison between the OP3 and the A7. I was coming from the OP1, great phone.  Keep us posted!

• Ok here is the story I broke the screen on my OP3 two days before Christmas so I ordered a replacement off ebay and it is going to take a few weeks for the replacement screen to arrive.  I saw Amazon had a deal on the Axon 7 for $350.00 and I checked a bunch of youtube reviews by the usual suspects and over all the reviews were very positive so I purchased the phone to give it a try and figured if I hated it I'd put it up on swappa after my replacement screen arrived.  To be honest the phone is much more attractive in person the videos make it look chunky and the quartz grey does not show as well as the gold does in person the phone is very thin and the quartz grey look very nice love the way the screen wraps around to meet the body very nice touch ZTE.  There is one build thing I noticed and I don't like it seems the speaker grills are plastic not sure why ZTE just did not go all the way and do metal grills?  I have been using the phone now for about four days hated the ZTE dialer and contacts but was able to load gdailer and contacts and I am happy now.  The home screen notification bell does not bother me I get why they did it so you have some privacy on you home screen notifications but you can turn it off so no big deal there either.  Camera it is very weird some times I get photos that match my OP3 but sometimes they are really bad defiantly can be fixed with software is ZTE chooses to do so.  Build quality of both phones are pretty close where the OP3 shines is that it has a very Nexus software experience and the OP3 cap buttons are back lit please take note ZTE team people really want a stock android experience and back lit cap buttons or the option to go onscreen buttons.  Both phones are equally fast and both have quick charging OP3 is dash and Axon 7 is qualcom I like the ZTE approach better as I like standards.  One thing for people to consider between the OP3 and the Axon 7 OP3 1 year warranty and no damage subsidy it is all on you in fact customer service and repair turnaround is so bad I choose to repair my phone myself which is something I can do having a long time tech background.  Axon 7 you get the 2 year warranty with 80 dollar screen replacements as well as the option to get a loaner device while yours is getting fixed this is the main reason I took a chance on this handset and I have to say so far so good been very happy with the experience after making a few tweaks I hope this helps others.   

• trottertrotter United StatesPosts: 164 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Basically my thoughts as well. The reviews I watched were all pre-update so they all complained about the notification bell, and if this had remained post-update I probably would have passed on the A7 or at least waited until the next update release. I haven't had any problem with the camera so far and my pics seem fine to me but I not big into photography or perfection.

What issues there are can be resolved via updates and will probably be addressed as time goes on. Finding bugs is fairly easy but finding their cause and rectifying them is a whole 'nother can of worms.

• johnorionjohnorion New YorkPosts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

the OP3 and the A7 are apples and oranges ... they aren't close enough to compare .. the OP3 is much lower quality for the price .. A smaller battery, a 1080 screen, no sd card expansion and a downward facing speaker. The only thing the OP3 has over the Axon 7 is software that is 3 years old so most of the bugs have been smoothed out. After the next update ... that will be taken away form the OP3 too most likely .. so .. there wont be anything about the OP3 that is comparable.

• louisdlouisd Arguer in Chief United StatesPosts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, the hardware on the unit is top notch.

The software on the other hand...

1) Android Pay doesn't work with fingerprint because encryption is broken

2) Can't turn off lockscreen so 3rd party lock screens are out.

3) No DND tile in the QS tiles

4) Useless battery stats require a 3rd party app to get the stats that should be a normal part of Android

5) Standard Android Ambient Display missing from MiFavor

6) System bundled apps can't be easily disabled

That's off the top of my head.

• Thanks lousd I did not realize it had these software holes the android pay is a big hole for me as I use it all the time and the OP3 has no issue at all where android pay is concerned.  One thing I forgot to mention about differences between the Axon 7 and the OP3 and I feel it is an important one to consider.  Though the OP website says the OP3 screen is gorilla glass my screen broke with a 6 inch drop to the pavement in a case with a tempered glass screen protector.  Others on the OP3 forums report very fragile screens as well so this one one thing to consider.  I am not sure how robust the Axon 7 screen is where drops are concerned but I am willing to bet if ZTE is giving the warranty that they are the screen may very well be tough. I like the Axon 7 screen much more than the OP3 but that is personal taste for many 1080p is just fine.  I did forget no SD card expansion on OP3 where you get 128g SD expansion with the Axon 7 for the media junkies

I am hope then like many that the nougat release for Axon 7 will solve allot of the outstanding issues if not it will server as a great backup phone in the event of another OP3 disaster    

I think a lot of the issues will be solved especially the big ones like the android pay and the too aggressive power/memory management. The Axon 7 is still an infant ... it will have some growing pains until the software matures a bit. I can't wait to see how well they listened and see what they have been able to do with the new update

• harmtan2harmtan2 United StatesPosts: 147 ✭✭✭✭

The Axon 7 definitely has its quirks & bugs, but so has every phone I've ever had. The value proposition from ZTE is amazing. I expected some extra sacrifices for the price and to my surprise it's not been any worse than any other phones quirks I've dealt with. I've paid way more for other phones too. The Axon 7 is definitely the future of a mid-range priced device. The high end manufacturers need to step up their game if they want to continue to charge a premium. Highest end specs are no longer the sole reason for charging $600+.

• samwichsesamwichse Posts: 47 ✭✭✭✭✭

Power management! That is the #1 most annoying thing.

It causes me to miss some push notifications in things like Hangouts and Google Voice.

It causes my phone to have to be rebooted every 24-48 hours, or put up with my browser being killed after 30 seconds of inactivity, and Pandora being killed after 30 seconds. Unacceptable.

yeah i bet that was one of the first things they addressed .. I can't be sure .. I may feel really foolish after the update finally gets released but I can almost bet that they have fixed the power management debacle.

I wont really know tho because .. I have not had any issues .. well I did for a while with one app MagicJack but once I shut down the "smart power save" in the settings and removed the power management for the app it seemed to work ok ..  but now I don't even use the app anymore because I finally broke down and got an unlimited talk and text plan so now I just forward the MJ number to my cell number and get the calls that way

johnorion wrote:I think a lot of the issues will be solved especially the big ones like the android pay and the too aggressive power/memory management. The Axon 7 is still an infant ... it will have some growing pains until the software matures a bit. I can't wait to see how well they listened and see what they have been able to do with the new update  

We are all hoping you are right on this point.

If this update doesn't significantly improve the software experience, I think a lot of people will go sour on the A7.

The A7 has been out for at least 5 months maybe a little longer. Not exactly an infant. Almost every mfg. will put out their new latest greatest phone every six to twelve months. When the new latest greatest  phone comes out, the last edition tends to get pushed into the background and more resources are focused on the latest greatest.

NOW IS THE TIME for zte to make significant upgrades to the A7. Later will be too late.

The A7 is a brand new phone that is only about 5 months old .. yes its still an infant .. Just like the Pixel that is also new .. yes a bit newer .. and even that with stock android has major issues and some haven't been fixed yet either even with all of Google behind them.

Yes I do agree that if they don't fix the major issues in the Nougat update they will have a lot of people dumping the phone ... I wont because I love the phone .. but I came from a S3 so the few issues aren't a big deal compared to all the good things about the phone and its hardware and so far I haven't seen any other phones that come close (and i know you have read my other posts so don't say the OP3 ).

I don't have a problem of things shutting off anymore on my phone once I shut off smart power save. I have no idea what android pay is so that isn't a big deal... ok I know what it is but its not something that can be used by me because no stores in my area has anything but credit card swipe stations .. most don't even have the chip readers yet here .. lol .. android pay / apple pay is something that you hear about but never see ... its like a ghost for me lol.

Its not a real big crime area so having your phone stolen is rare unless you are stupid and just leave it sitting somewhere and walk away from it and even if it was stolen .. I have nothing on it that could be that bad. They would have my email address but .. hey .. I think anyone with half a mind can figure out my email address .. everything else is stored encrypted (not by the phone but by an app) so they wont get any of my passwords and there is no bank or credit information stored on the phone. So all the problems that most are discussing doesn't really effect me. The phone is still amazing and works perfectly. Once I can root it and install the other apps that I used all the time .. the phone will be perfect for me even if they don't fix the major issues people are talking about ... but again .. I'm pretty confident that they will.

If they don't fix it I will just root it and go with CM or LineageOS if they rename it or I will just fix it myself like I did with the S3. Once rooted I could solve any of the issues I was having with the phone. Right now, I think the only issue I have with the phone is I don't like the volume control .. seems like the higher volume doesn't have enough adjustment between steps. I basically used the Samsung stock rom on the S3 but just made it work for me .. and removed all the junk that was causing me issues. I will probably just do that with the Axon 7 if ZTE fails. The phone itself is worth it once I can root it and from what I heard .. it can be rooted even if they don't add the boot unlocking in the update but I want to wait to see if they officially put that option back on the table.

oh and yes the other manufacturers put out a new phone 6-12 months down the road but they usually take what they learned from the older phone and put it in the new phone .. so again .. the Axon 7 is an infant .. it's the first gen of the Axon .. so in 6-12 months they may release an Axon 8 .. and it will be the Axon 7 but more matured because they will have worked out most of the bugs with the 7

• louisdlouisd Arguer in Chief United StatesPosts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

How is it the first gen of the Axon?  Axon Pro  No matter how you slice it, this is at least Gen 2 of the Axon line.

Let's not give ZTE an excuse.  The hardware in the 7 is a major step forward but I would argue the software is a step backwards from the Axon Pro.  http://www.androidauthority.com/zte-axon-phone-review-628659/

• Hello all ok I understand one of them now tonight I hate that I need to enter my PIN to make android pay work I would as well just use the card at that point.  Battery life has been very inconsistent? First week was pretty good second week really poor? well I hope Nougat is released soon and fixes allot of the small issues as I have till Jan 31st to decide if this is a keeper or not

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 704 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Just seen this news, and I'm ecstatic.

https://goo.gl/gDJCdP

ZTE officials have revealed at CES that the Axon 7 has Android N and Daydream capabilities on the way during the next couple of weeks.

• Awesome thanks for the heads up tex.  I found the source of the battery drain at least in my case turned out to be chrome once I disabled it then installed firefox battery is back to being very good so far.  End of Jan tells me last week of Jan well I think I will keep it then especially now that daydream is included keeping fingers crossed the little software bugs will be addressed. 

• ronin550ronin550 Oak Grove, MOPosts: 137

I agree, haven't had one issue phone is fantastic!!! And the premium version is even better!!!

It's not that the A7 is bad phone.

It's all about how you use your phone. Some folks have come from phones that were feature packed with lots of customization. They have gotten used to using those features. When they are no longer available or not implemented as well on their new phone, it can be a disappointment.

There are lots of customizations in the base OS that ZTE has left out or don't operate as well. Some of these features or customizations can be added back by downloading another app form the play store, some cannot.

I guess when folks pay a substantial price for a well rated phone, their expectations are high.

• yk11yk11 Posts: 92 ✭✭✭✭

I second the use of Nova Launcher.  It is by far my favorite launcher with all the customizations and control you could think of.

• I can understand the confusion. I have two A7s at home and have had a near perfect experience since Sept 2016. There are many threads on this topic here pointing on how some users have bad experiences and others have wonderful experiences. There are many factors for why this is the case like when, where, which version of software being run, type of phone itself--mini, max, USA or EU, GSM vs CDMA, etc----that play into this.

Bottom-line if you have relatively newer released model running on the latest software update you should have a great user experience.

• hollaphollap United States Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The hardware is indeed a step up, but the software is indeed an infant.  The original Axon lineup did not have MiFavor, so this is the first go around on a Software UI for ZTE. I don't mind UI's, but they do need to work, and not take away the core features and functionality of Android.  ZTE has some improvement to do in my opinion.