Unable to Update PRL Using *228

Is there a way to update the Preferred Roaming List?  Most sites recommend dialing *228, but that just gives me a "call can't be completed as dialed." I moving soon and there is a cell phone tower ON my new property, so you'd think if I'd just refresh the list I'd get service. Rebooting did not help.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• louisdlouisd Arguer in Chief United StatesPosts: 1,192 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't the Grand X a GSM Phone (used on Cricket)?  If so, there is no PRL to update, that only applies to CDMA networks.

• You are correct.  After some more digging I found most (all?) G4 phones don't use PRL.  Not sure how to get it to update then, as the sites I can find on it imply the SIM card will update connections automatically, and it isn't.

Thanks for the help!

• louisdlouisd Arguer in Chief United StatesPosts: 1,192 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Just because there's a tower, doesn't mean you have access to it with your carrier/plan.  With GSM phones there is no PRL (it is a purely CDMA concept) and if you're not getting a connection to a specific tower that's not the phone....

• snakes200snakes200 USAPosts: 71 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometime restarting your device does the same thing as updating the PRL if you were on a CDMA network. Most smartphone manufacturers recommend you restart at least once per day.