Will Axon 7 Mini receive Android Nougat?

chavochavo Lewisville TexasPosts: 74 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe this has been covered in another discussion,but i can't find it here and please forgive if it has, as i'm new to the forums!

I received word from a ZTE online chat rep that the Mini will receive an update to build 16 sometime after the new year. What i would really like to know is if it will also contain an update to Nougat and if ZTE might relax bootloader restrictions and allow us to add launchers or even root this phone?

I am pleasantly suprised with how smooth the Mini is after most of the online tech site reviews described how the experience was jerky and awkward at best.

I have a couple of days remaining on my best buy return window and if this phone isn't scheduled to receive Nougat,then i would prefer to return it for the fullsize model to guarantee an upgrade to nougat....Anyone in the know here possibly? Thanks@

Best Answer

• AerospacemanAerospaceman Z-Community Moderator Posts: 1,140 admin
    Accepted Answer

​ Sure.  You can reply. The reason the other thread was locked is because there are quite a few threads asking about this same issue.  Because of the news today there is an answer: We might not be able to answer you further questions as the release is not out to the public, but you are welcome to sign up for the preview.  Let us know if you have any questions.

Answers

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USA Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

, there is no way we can tell when or if the Axon 7 Mini will get Nougat. We don't even know for sure when the Axon 7 will get it. I would imagine they are focusing on Nougat for the Axon 7 first, then they would be able to turn their focus on other devices. Thanks!

• chavochavo Lewisville TexasPosts: 74 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you sir.

With the troubles and bugs that many have encountered with the Nougat update on the Axon 7, I am still hoping that the bugs and cause of them can be rectified before (or at this point IF) the mini receives the update. Have heard that the dev support that the Axon 7 is getting with Lineage OS will also be eventually coming to the Mini.....I just hope that some or all of these things(Nougat,VoIP working,Wifi calling) can come to the Mini before people like me lose heart in the situation and abandon ZTE entirely. The support for the Devs involved in Lineage OS from ZTE has been a great thing,but it seems like they could've and should've done something faster....heard that many had moved on and gave up after so many issues that weren't resolved continued on even after the Nougat update. Seems that the 2 year passport warranty would indicate the company was in for the long haul(2 years) for these phones. when the CDMA providers are really no longer in the mix,Then ZTE only has to make these phones fully compatible with GSM providers(AT&T,Cricket,Tmobile,Metro Etc).....don't understand why this has become such a problem with these phones,since i suspect everyone on this forum read the reviews and researched the product diligently to arrive at a decision to purchase.

With the features that were touted,how could you go wrong? ......lol

• nicktsaabnicktsaab Posts: 26 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be nice if ZTE would give us an official answer.... If they don`t want to give us Nougat, it would be a bummer, but root would be nice. Really great hardware but crappy software. I guess that's what you get for 200 dollars.

yes,,,,but it seems that we won't get one

Maybe with this recent fine from uncle sam,they can't afford enough good software people.....

ZTE, as well as other manufacturers, would not be wise in telling their users when updates are coming out.  If they miss a promised deadline people would raise hell about it.  They are better off saying nothing until released because people are no longer patient. As far as Nougat for the mini, there is no sign there will or won't be a Nougat update yet.  Time will tell.

• kumatora0203kumatora0203 Danvers, MAPosts: 262 ✭✭

Especially when the nougat update for the regular a7 has had many problems with other users, we dont want another buggy nougat update.

Exactly ​! If they do release Nougat for the mini, let's hope it's tested well!

well they obviously have someone working on software somewhere over there in China,since the Axon 7 has received its second nougat update within the last 1.5 months.....and yet the mini still sits in the corner. Lesson learned

• Axon 7 got second Nougat update, now Android 7.1.1... and we are still waiting for the Axon 7 mini to be updated.

what's going on?

• yk11yk11 Posts: 91

Please be patient.  They are two different phones, so I'm sure they require different programming and testing for the update.

I would rather wait another month (or even two) and get a well working update, than get a broken update that results in a broken phone.

With phone software, well is more important than fast.  If the software doesn't work, what's the point of having the phone?

• sshasansshasan Z-Community Moderator New York Posts: 3,133 admin

You have to remember that the mini was released months after the Axon 7 was. The update schedules do not coincide.

get that point,but what about android security patches? Why can't these folks update those at least? Already know the answer,but curious what the response is...

I get that the mini was released months after the 7, but, the question is more of if we will get the update rather than when?

It will absolutely get an update... But that's as much info as I can give.

Thanks for the response . Last question, will the mini receive any bootloader unlock? Thanks again...

• The release dates were just 2-3 months apart, I am pretty sure they were working on this devices at the same time before the release time. Release time were different just for marketing... They already have enough time to do the implementation of the updates, android 7 was released on August 22, 2016 and the preview for manufactures was before.

The release time of the hardware is no a issue because software is the same version on both phones.

Please ZTE let us now how is the progress of this update. This is about costumer service satisfaction... I feel like our axon 7 mini was a commercial failure since they drop the price so quickly and no feel like they want to go away to support software updates.

There actually quite a large difference in software between the Axon 7 and the Axon 7 Mini.

Part of it is due to different hardware and the rest due to things like DayDream and Wi-Fi calling. It may seem like an easy switch over but there is quite a bit that has to be done to make sure the software fits the device.

I completely get that sir,but i have a related question to your previous answer. Can we expect to have more timely android security patches in the future and can we look forward to the Mini receiving Wifi calling and VoLTE that covers more than just TMobile? I will hang and listen...........

This is just information that we cannot share at this time. I'm sure you can understand... if you have seen some of the threads over on the Axon 7 side.

If we promise one thing and it doesn't happen in a specific time frame we kinda get some serious backlash for it from the community.

I told the community at one point that the Axon 7 would get wifi calling and I didn't lie about it. It just took longer than expected.

LOL...that is not the answer i was looking for,but i gotta give it to you Mods...Ya'll are some really nice and very cool people. I will just speak for myself,but from what i gather by reading nearly every Axon post on this board, is that people had such high expectations because these phones(Big and Mini) were both home runs in design and hardware and the fact that when we all found this board and heard that ZTE really cared and "was listening"....I was stoked and expecting a super great experience. Obviously the people here(mods) have no control over the schedule and that is perfectly understandable......Just wish that the company would say SOMETHING. We ALL read the specs,we all saw what the hardware is capable of because, ZTE gave these specs to the people writing the reviews to promote the product. I remember the days when a feature was listed in the specs,was available to use and actually worked (most of the time). Sorry If these posts come across as people(myself included) who are entitled and whiny.I have heard on another site that it is highly probable that the Mini will soon get the Lineage treatment and I believe that would go a long ways toward calming the folks screaming for the advanced features. And just because there are people here who are thrilled with their experience,that doesn't mean that others don't have some things that we could really use without having a ton more apps on our phones than we shouldn't really have to add, due to the hardware which supports it already....sorry to be so long winded in my response,but that is my impression. Thank you,sshasan for your honesty and it is appreciated!

And having said ALL that....why can't we at least get a security patch newer that December 1st? I don't understand this,because this is an unlocked phone,which i bought purposely to not be under the iron boot of a carrier that would take their sweet time(if at all) to even push out security patches.Many people, across many brands and even with carrier phones, are asking for a secure android experience. If we don't say anything and raise cain,then what will ever change? ZTE already got my money for this phone,and LG,samsung,motorola and others have gotten plenty more of it over the years and once it was in the corporate coffers....the interest was on the NEXT phone they could get money for....not that one. People need to start screaming for security patches.....everywhere and for every carrier and every manufacturer. Google has been doing it for awhile and trying to get these companies to step it up and still here we are.....ridiculous

BUMP BUMP BUMP

can i reply to this one?

LoL...gotcha spaceman. It's all good. As much as i've griped about this update and security patch updates, i probably don't stand a chance to be selected,so i will sit back and shut my mouth and wait like a good boy! Thanks for having some humor in the situation!

• AerospacemanAerospaceman Z-Community Moderator Posts: 1,140 admin

​  Haha...  Sign up man, it only takes a minute.  It is worth it for anyone who has a A7 Mini to do it.  If you look at the registration link you will see that we just want to make sure you have a Mini..

i'm a sucker for a mod with a sense of humor....you got me bro...i'll try..LOL

• crazydcrazyd Clearwater, FLPosts: 12

I am new to ZTE and just purchased Axon 7 Mini; is Android Nougat on Public release yet? and how do I update it to Nougat?  Actually all I have found is just the Beta release... guess the full release will probably be a month away.