[UPDATE] Axon 7 Mini B2017G "Build 21" (US Version)

AerospacemanAerospaceman Z-Community AdministratorUnited StatesPosts: 1,383 admin

Hey Axon 7 Mini users, 

ZTE USA is excited to let you know that a new build will be out for your device tomorrow: (Thursday Jan 12th.) @ 1:00 a.m. CST.  This new MR, B21, will provide additional enhancements to your device such as VoLTE, Google security patches updated through December and other improvements to your Axon 7 Mini.

Currently your device could be on one of three different builds: B12, B14MR2, or B16.  This new release will bring everyone up to date and on the same MR, B21, which is the most current update available.  Thanks for your patience as we were preparing for this release. I've provided the release notes for each of the three builds you might be currently on below. 

Your comments and feedback are always welcome below as we continue to look for ways to improve the Axon 7 Mini.

B12-B21 Release Notes:

• Support T-Mobile HD Voice call (VoLTE). (Can be enabled via Settings->All Settings->More->VoLTE Voicecall)
  • Google security patches updated through December.
  • New APN added to match all major North American carriers.
  • Google Applications updated.
  • Enhanced and optimized camera focus speed and night mode.
  • Other general enhancements
  • **Recommendation** Please make sure the battery level is over 30% to avoid update failure caused by low battery.

B14MR2-B21 Release Notes:

• Google security patches updated through December
  • New APN added to match all major North American carriers.
  • **Recommendation** Please make sure the battery level is over 30% to avoid update failure caused by low battery.

B16-B21 Release Notes:

• Google security patches updated through December
  • New APN added to match all major North American carriers

Comments

• vanguyvanguy USAPosts: 597 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the Mini is not getting the "N" OS update at this time.

• Hi, great to see that the Mini is also getting some love from the company. Is it safe to assume that we will be getting Nougat sometime in the future too?

• yk11yk11 Posts: 92 ✭✭✭✭

Updated to b21 (1.97GB download, took almost 15 minutes for the update + app optimizations).

So far no issues.  SMS works, internet is fine, performance of SD/internal storage same as before.

Using Ting on T-Mobile network.

• Well thank you ZTE!

• fallen00sniperfallen00sniper Posts: 40 ✭✭✭✭

When can we expect Wi-Fi calling to stay toggled on?

Currently it disables once the setting is exited.

• Thank you ZTE but bout dam time. I like the update.

• gweeper64gweeper64 United StatesPosts: 248 ✭✭✭✭✭

I updated at work today. No major problems. One or two minor things though:

- Bluetooth issues with Music Metadata is not fixed

- With B12, I also had some problem with incoming calls that were either dropped or bluetooth disconnected. It's hard to tell which when driving. Anyway, I have not verified if that issue is still a problem with B21 yet or not. I didn't receive any incoming calls while driving on the way home.

- The style of folders on the desktop changed. With B12, I was using the "stock Android" theme and folders on the desktop looked like overlapping icons. Now after the update, the desktop folders look like the "grid" style of the MiFavor "Classic" theme. I prefer the overlapping icon look.

Also, this may or may not have been an issue with B12; I didn't try until tonight. But, I can't get AndroidPay to work at stores (I previously used it in an app just fine). I went to two stores that take it tonight and I couldn't get it to work at either. Could be user error.

Hey, it's got the December security patches. At least it isn't 2 or 3 months behind.

• fallen00sniperfallen00sniper Posts: 40 ✭✭✭✭

Signal quality is better at home for me now -110 to -108 dbm, but while on a call it spiked to -121 and the call eventually dropped after 15 minutes, I think the update helped and still leaves room for improvement if any can be made since I do not know what radio is in this device.

Hopefully it only gets better.

• chavochavo D/FWPosts: 85 ✭✭✭✭✭

I definitely noticed improved bluetooth connectivity and seems to not move so sluggish on Gboard keyboard. I am really disappointed in the stock music player as i bought this phone to use as a Hi Res music player in my car and while working, and this update didn't do anything for the terrible music player. It's a shame to have such a capable device and have it hampered by a poorly designed music player. I also own a standalone Hi Res DAP made by another Chinese company(Fiio) that also has terrible software,but it's light years better than the player on this phone.Noticed after the update that turning on the Dolby Atmos setting would lock the music player up and have to reboot. Hoping with feedback here and some tweaking on the software end,that ZTE can bring this thing to what it should be....Hopefully there will be at least a few more updates that will improve the experience before they move on to the next projects in the works. When you buy a phone that is built this sturdy,you hope that it will be a purchase that can hang around and be relevant for at least 2 years...that's my hope anyway. Thanks for the timely Update ZTE, and hope that nougat and some additional improvements will make me a happy and loyal customer in the future.

• kidnovakidnova Posts: 435 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Good to see the TMobile VoLTE implemented and the updated security patch.  Has anybody tested the night mode improvements on the camera?  Low light performance has been a consistent problem.

I wonder if this M update in mid-January is an indication the Nougat may not release this month after all.

• yk11yk11 Posts: 92 ✭✭✭✭

I'm OK with it if they take another couple of months to get N, as long as they continue to fix bugs and improve things every 2 months or so.

I value a well working phone using M more than a poorly working phone using N.

Just tried it. Did not help the folder icon issue (assuming that is what you thought it might fix).

Not really a big deal. I'm probably going to go back to using Nova Launcher anyway.

There has never been any official commitment to a Nougat release for the MINI yet (this thread is about the Mini). I think we are all just assuming it will get it eventually. I sure hope so.

• kidnovakidnova Posts: 435 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I get an F for attention to detail today.  I didn't notice this was a mini-specific update.  Thanks for pointing that out.

​ - yes, I did.

• xblackdemonxxblackdemonx CanadaPosts: 102 ✭✭✭✭

Please tell us WHY THE HELL does the Axon 7 mini receives the updates BEFORE the original Axon 7 ?

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

As Jim pointed out, the Mini isnt receiving updates before the Axon 7, the Mini received the Dec security patch because it was the current one available during the build of the update. The Axon 7 has Nov because it was the current patch for when the update was being built. Since the next update for the A7 is Nougat the newest security patch with be in the release of Android 7.

• twinturboztwinturboz SocalPosts: 219 ✭✭✭✭✭

I kinda liked the stock music player in the ZTE Zmax Pro, not sure why this A7 has a completely different thing going on.

• twinturboztwinturboz SocalPosts: 219 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think night performance will always be a problem with a phone camera with no OIS and small cmos sensor

New problem discovered:

Having a problem with my Axon 7 Mini with Android Pay that I just discovered. Note, I updated to the new "B21" update yesterday.

I can open the app, but when I try and add a credit card, it says: "Android Pay can't be used on this device" because the device may be rooted or the bootloader is unlocked or it is a custom ROM. I have done none of the above. This is the official "B21" update released 1/12/2017. Can anyone confirm? Is it a B21 bug? Does ZTE need to register a ROM checksum with Google or something?

• ​ - I can confirm the behavior that you have observed with Android Pay. I downloaded the app and opened it for the first time only to receive the same message. It's definitely not just you having that problem.

• wxbosswxboss Oakland Park, FLPosts: 30 ✭✭✭✭

I updated to the new B21 version also, but I already had cards added to Android Pay prior to upgrading and Android Pay is working just fine. I will say that when I switched from my previous phone to the Axon 7 Mini, I had issues re-adding my current cards to Android Pay on this phone. A simple phone call to my bank took care of the problem.