P9_1617042.jpg

iPhone 6s Plus

iPhone6s+_0840.JPG

AXON 7

A2_161015.jpg

You Decide...

Comments

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,633 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

With good lighting, the images are pretty clean, and with acceptable levels of noise, though an area where many reviewers will focus on, will be in more indoor lighting situations.

In terms of lighting, the axon 7 seems to do a decent job with the jpeg processing for maintaining shadow and highlight detail.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,247 mod

I think the Iphone 6 plus photos (bedroom, pool table) look the most pleasing to the eye and crisp. Axon 7 is better for the other three photos and looks more pleasing to the eye than the others.

• I agree the iphone looks great with the pool table picture. The rest go to the Axon... The P9 is a disappointment. I guess that's what happens when you pay for branding without, you know, trying to make a good product.

It would be interesting to have a blind test without the phone listed to see truly unbiased answers as many may have a particular phone in mind.

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

Out of the 3 the iphone definitely looks the best, that being said however the ZTE i think looks way better than the huawei!

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,229 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have to agree with others that the iPhone photos look the most decent in most scenario. ZTE is pretty good though, especially the last photo of the flower, you can actually see more of the details of the flower compared to the iPhone and Huawei. 

In terms of tone, color balance, highlights,  and shadows, those are pretty much 99% based on the software processing.  For many high end ZTE smartphones, they tend to process the images with a focus on having a tiny amount of 100% black,  and 100% white in the image.  Based on a histogram,  that ensures a good spread of contrast without making the shadows or highlights look crushed.  Many smart phones will vary the processing,  based on the scens,  bit in general,  that will have an overall look that they go for.

Apple tends to focus on contrast in the shadows,  and while it doesn't not oversaturate colors,  it is more willing to crush the shadows and highlights.

Most of this comes down to user preference. If ZTE decides to take the camera to the next level,  and enable camera raw capture,  then you will have more freedom to process the images for the look that is most pleasing to you.

For the P9, I feel that their software is not ready yet,  it makes common processing errorsvthat would normally be seen from a complete beginner at lightening,  with unnecessary clipping in both color and luminance. It is almost as a static preset is being applied to the images,  as images look great in some scenarios (easily beating the iPhone), and horrid for no reason in others, though I do believe that the P9 has raw support.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,229 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Enabling RAW capture does nothing for the average consumers though. Most consumers just use the auto mode, let the camera do the processing and ignore the rest. Maybe they will edit their image by applying filter, more saturation, etc. on Instagram or VSCO or something of that sort.

Agree that the P9 isn't really polished in terms of the software processing. They do have RAW support.

I agree most users will only use auto settings with possible filters. Most people that would use raw already have DSLR cameras and are amateur-professional photographers.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,811 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm... this is going to create to heated discussion (as we can see already, lol).
    Thanks for the pics. The A7 does seem to take some nice pics, but I wonder how much settings makes a difference
    between the examples shown. Can't wait to try out the A7 for myself.

If you are looking for a more technical look, from the sample images, the Axon 7 seems to be offering a better signal to noise ratio for the images.

For example, the pool table scene has the axon 7 at ISO 100, while the iphone is at ISO 25.

Even with the ISo difference, at the lower ISO range at least, thhe Axon 7 is offering lower noise levels, and at 100% crop, more detail.

each image is cropped to 550x550 and is 100% 1:1 view of each image.

Iphone 6S+:

iphone6splus.jpg

Axon 7:

axon7.jpg

In this example, the axon 7 offers less noise (ignoring the higher detail level due to the higher resolution sensor).

The iphone is less saturated, and thus avoids some of the slight clipping in the red channel.

What we need to see is the performance at ISO 800-2000 which is where the cameras will largely sit while being used indoors and in low light.

It is rare for a camera to have linear noise performance across their native ISO range, For example, the Nikon D5 has higher noise levels at ISO 100 as compared to the Nikon D810, but at higher ISO levels, the D5 handily beats the D810. Overall, there is no way to predict high ISO performance based on low ISO noise levels.

Hopefully they will upload more photos.

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

First off I have to say I want that first room to be my new room. Then I have to say sadly I preferred the iPhone in all of the samples, except for the flower because the focus was off on the iPhone. The Axon 7 seems to add a little bit of a blueish or greenish tint to the photos. So the white balance is slightly off. While the iPhone seems to give the most accurate white balance and most accurate exposure for the light. The Axon 7 seems to brighten up the shadows a little too much making the photos seem a little flat in comparison to the iPhone. Also it reveals more noise because of it brightening a little too much. While the iPhone with the darker shadows doesn't show as much noise giving a cleaner image overall. Were these taken with HDR on or off?

Sharpness and detail seemed to be a bit of a mixed bag. After zooming in the Axon 7 had plenty of sharpness and detail in each photo. The iPhone appeared sharp and to offer some more detail in some areas. Most probably do to better contrast making it appear sharper in some areas. Excluding the flower photo that is.

Surprisingly the P9 with all it's dual camera Leica prowess looks the worst in every photo to me. Images were too dark and color was off and sometimes too flat looking.

The Axon 7 still did a good job and it would be interesting to see the issues of white balance and exposure fixed with a software update. I'd like to compare it to my Nexus 6P. Recently I had the S7 and compared them. The S7 added a greenish tint to the photos and crushed the blacks losing detail there. Instead of bringing up the shadows like the Axon 7 does losing some contrast in the process and adding a bit more noise.

• I also felt the Iphone looked best but none are poor.

Even if they will not be doing things like loading their photos into photoshop or lightroom for post processing, having raw, improved all aspects of image editing. Since jpegs are quick to clip, as well as have almost no color information in strongly overexposed, and underexposed areas, filters will often not look as good when they are making changes to a jpeg as compared to a raw image.

The phone companies could simply add a bunch of raw processing presets where it can do its standard jpeg processing, or emulate certain film types, or a whole host of other processes, all while allowing the freedom to finetune the image. For example, some may find a certain default process to look pretty good, but there may be a little clipping in one spot, and they may want to just slightly recover the highlights. Or they may see a weird behavior in the blue channel due to bad lighting, and may just want to slightly tweak the curves for that one channel but leave everything else the same.

Raw allows them to go as deep as they want to while adding no additional complexity for those that do not want to use it.

• vagavaga USAPosts: 347 ✭✭✭

I think the Axon 7 is going to be killer for RAW! The first photo highlights the phone's Dynamic Range and lowlight performance. If not for the splotchy NR, I think the Axon beats the other two hands down. The colors on the P9 seem nicer in the indoor shots, but the flower shot looks ridiculously over-exaggerated (probably the color was set to Vivid, thus the saturation effect was likely completely intentional). The Axon is very consistent, and I would place it over the iPhone for producing pleasing images. The detail is super impressive as well.

I agree with the tint (seems to be most present in the shadow / lower-light areas). I personally think otherwise the Axon 7 and P9 have much more beautiful lighting rendering (probably because both are a tad warmer than the iPhone).

• Wow, these look really good especially the flower as the p9 really blows out the detail while the axon 7 retains it and keeps he colours true

• Axon7 doing great job, so far one of the best camera of 2016

• Without a label showing what each phone is, it would honestly be hard to choose a winner out of each group. 

• dishlexicdishlexic CanadaPosts: 49

Looking promising for the Axon 7! Has anyone seen any 4k video samples yet?

• Great shadow detail on the Axon shots but the greenish tint given to the sky is a little worrying. Sure hope they can get the color accuracy right as that can really kill a camera's performance like it did for my z3.

• rikkkurdrikkkurd United statesPosts: 318 ✭✭

The pictures of the axon 7 look very sharp.

In some reviews they use the hdr functionality which seems just as fast as normal mode. Can somebody give more information on how this is achieved?

Mobile Geeks posted a 1080p one I think. It doesn't look that great because a lot of it is overexposed and out doesn't seem the OIS is very smooth, but I think I'll peg that on operator error before I pass full judgement.

• ddrakeddrake Alpharetta, GAPosts: 318 ✭✭✭

Definitely a close comparison to the iPhone 6 plus and Axon 7.  Depends on what you prefer your images look like... can't go wrong with either.

• mossy375mossy375 ShanghaiPosts: 73

Very nice camera if these shots are representative of the final product!

With a low price point, an area that I was worried about with the Axon 7 was the camera, but this seems to allay my fears!

• sshasansshasan Staff Member United StatesPosts: 3,985 admin

Hi , I sure once the device is released the build team will have an answer for us. I don't think they want to "spill the beans" just yet.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,572 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have to say overall I am pretty happy with what I saw. Can't wait to try it out for myself.

• rikkkurdrikkkurd United statesPosts: 318 ✭✭

But spilling beans is way more interesting for us

• chrsnchrsn New YorkPosts: 217 ✭✭✭✭✭

Axon 7 shots look pretty good, but what was up with that flower shot by the P9? It felt like it hurt my eyes. Also the iPhone post processing is definitely working it's magic in these shots, but the Axon looks like it's taking it away. Can't wait for more photo comparisons.

• jamesjames Pennsylvania, USAPosts: 423

The Axon seems to allow more light in than the 6s or the P9, and it also seems to capture sharper images overall, which may bode well for night shots. The blue-greenish tint can hopefully be overcome with software updates, but I like the Axon image in the first over those of the other two, with more detail being shown.
    The zoom on the billiard ball shows the power of a big megapixel camera coupled with a great processor. Though it's noisy, the Axon image is not pixelated like the others, which is a good sign of the possibilities to come.
    The third set seems won by the 6s, with the Axon again showing it's superior sensor, but the only weakness with the Axon seeming to be slight software inaccuracies. The deeper shadow showing for the 6s is nearly perfect, but the Axon is a close second, with a slight adjustment in editing undoubtedly curing the issue.
    In the fourth set the Axon's processing power shines, with much sharper capture than that of either competitor, along with better color representation.
    The fifth is my favorite, with the differences being crystal clear between the three competitors. Both the P9 and 6s image captures are over-saturated, eliminating the finer details of the flower, while the Axon shows superior coloring and fantastic details.
    I've love to see a comparison between the Axon 7 and Galaxy S7 as it relates to camera function, speed, and image quality.