ZTE Zmax Pro Nougat update

Why haven't we received the Nougat 7.0 update for the Zmax Pro? Seems like the newer devices are getting priority.

Answers

• asianrockerasianrocker ILPosts: 243 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was gonna make a thread about the beta test for zmax pro that I applied for and hopefully will be chosen (ahem, ahem). But I think your thread will suffice.

Most people including me and even gsmarena had a link on your beta test ZTE saying it is for Nougat. And now I just read a post somewhere here that it not for nougat?

So ZTE people, can you please illuminate us, what really is the beta test for?

• benkoresbenkores Staten Island, NYPosts: 413 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The Axon 7 and 7 Mini have not received the Nougat update either. ZTE is not going to update their low-end devices before their flagships. Just be patient.

• Low end? I thought it was a mid priced device.

• snn5snn5 Southeast USPosts: 655 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, the ZMP is very low end.  If it is offered on Metro/prepaid for less than $100....it's low end.

Yeah, I read, "Software Enhancement Beta."  NOT, Nougat 7.x.

• Price doesn't mean it's a low-end phone tho. Mid range at low-end price.

Also I don't expect ZMP to get Nougat. They will save that for the next ZMP phone.

Considering the price of the phone, it would be cheaper for them to just release a new phone

Yeah, I will settle for a complete phone that completely works.

• texasmade1texasmade1 DFWPosts: 169 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I expect the ZMax Pro to get Nougat but probably only after they release the new version (ZMax Pro 2).

• Contacted Metropcs support last week, and was told an update for the phone was coming soon. Seems like everyone has a different opinion. I really like this phone. However, I would like to see its full potential.

I was going on the words in this photo, that don't mention Nougat.

Capture.PNG

• maulgandhimaulgandhi New Jersey Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭

As the title says it all, it is a Software Enhancement Program, that means, this is going to be an update to fix current problems that users are having plus add features that is necessary to improve end user experience.

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USA Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Just posting what i saw on the internet...I don't necessarily believe everything I read of course

• I have a feeling that this is one of mistakes that causes every small tech blog/site to post incorrect, misinformed articles. I'm not sure which site posted it first saying that the ZMAX Pro Nougat beta is available but every other site out there pretty much copy and pasted the original article and ran with it. My guess is that this Beta is simply for a security fix build but maybe we'll get lucky and it really is for Nougat. The bottom line is that if it isn't everyone that signed up for the Beta will get mad at ZTE when the Tech sites are to blame for writing articles without checking with the source. The program itself doesn't mention Nougat at all.

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The whole naming scheme has been disrupted by the Axon 7 and OP3. Phones with flagship specs but priced hundreds less than other flagship phones. So anything below an A7 in price would be considered mid range at least in the ZTE lineup.

Thank you for the clarification. Even if no Nougat, I'd be pleased with an enhanced experience.

• Check out the YouTube search engine, by typing, zte zmax pro. You will see at least 2 alleged nougat updates for the phone. 

• Kind of goes with what I mentioned. Most of the Android news sites/YouTube channels that us tech nerds follow simply repost each other's articles. All it takes is one mistake or guess and all of a sudden every site out there is posting a false story. I'm with the rest of you and would really like Nougat on this phone (especially for the split screen function) but I'll wait until ZTE posts the word Nougat before I get my hopes up.

• So let it be said, so let it be done 

Re: Apply Here For Beta Project ''ZMAX PRO"

sshasan

sshasan Employee Jan 16, 2017 3:43 PM (in response to sshasan)

The beta project for ZMAX PRO expressed through this Z-Community thread is to help enhance the current software on the device. While we do not have any plans to push Android Nougat to the ZMAX PRO right now, we continue to seek feedback from consumers on all of our devices so we can enhance the user experience, which is what we are doing here.

• andriadandriad Metro Atlanta, GAPosts: 221 ✭✭✭✭✭

I read this over at AndroidPIT this morning:

"Nougat supports the Vulkan API for top-notch gaming graphics, and this requires hardware that can support Open GL ES 3.1. Mandatory support of OpenGL ES 3.1 was introduced just before Android 7.0 Nougat was finalized by Google. That means almost all the top phones from 2014 and those with Snapdragon 800/801 are inherently incompatible with Nougat."

Does the Zmax Pro support OpenGL ES 3.1?  They're saying that even phones with the faster Snapdragon 800/801 won't support Nougat; since the ZMP has only Snapdragon 617, I'd be surprised if it's compatible with Nougat.

Andria

Great question. And you said that you were new to Android. With your technical knowledge of Windows I didn't think it would take you long to become advanced with Android.

GSM Arena and Phone Arena are pretty good at listing in depth specs.

I checked GSMArena -- I've kept it open on my other screen pretty much since I decided my old Galaxy Core Prime was too slow to tolerate, while I was shopping around for something better! -- and GSMArena doesn't say anything about OpenGL ES 3.1.  I'll check PhoneArena; I didn't know about that one.

Looking thru the "About Phone" stuff, I see nothing about OpenGL; in the Developer Options, there's a setting to "Force 4x MSAA", which is basically Greek to me, but it mentions "Enable 4x MSAA in OpenGL ES 2.0 apps" -- which would tend to indicate, I think, that OpenGL ES 2.0 is the limit of what the ZMP supports.  But as I said, that really doesn't mean anything to me, so I don't know for sure.

I'll check PhoneArena and see if they say anything about it.

Andria

(and yes, I'm very new to Android -- got my first mobile phone in May 2016! That's one reason I haunt AndroidPIT, so I can LEARN!)

• ahmadaamer6ahmadaamer6 Posts: 21 ✭✭✭✭

They said, "The beta project for ZMAX PRO expressed through this Z-Community thread is to help enhance the current software on the device. While we do not have any plans to push Android Nougat to the ZMAX PRO right now, we continue to seek feedback from consumers on all of our devices so we can enhance the user experience, which is what we are doing here." There will not be Nougat for this device. I am okay without having Nougat. At least we are getting updates to fix software issues.

Ok... PhoneArena has no info about OpenGL in the ZMP.  I even checked ZTE's products site, and the only Zmax they're showing is what I think is the original Zmax; 5.7" screen instead of 6", and generally "lesser".

We need some real tech specs, to know if that OpenGL standard is supported.

Andria

You could call tech support 800-617-5065 and inquire. Have to get to the actual tech people.

I think I'll pass -- I hate phone trees, and I'm perfectly content with Marshmallow.  But others might be interested to know if it's even possible to upgrade to Nougat.  If the hardware won't support it, then it will never be possible.

Andria

My post was a quote from a ZTE community manager.  I'll take that over Android authority or Android Police or other copy and paste tech sites. International Business Times, Christian Science Monitor, Phandroid.....All the same. Droid Life is the only real source.

I'm not disputing that Droid Life is the only real source because I haven't seen it but why do you say that ? How do you know that they are the only real source. If you're convincing I'll have to check them out. Do they have an app?

Oh no if it's on the Internet it must be true.