ZTE Zmax Pro Nougat update

Answers

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

What you said is definitely true but it doesn't negate what said.

• nthall350nthall350 Kansas City, MissouriPosts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, but there's more to it than just bad apps. I use a pretty limited set of apps on my phone as well, but it would be nice not to have to worry about conflicts everytime you install a new one. The majority of people aren't going to do a factory reset and install one app at a time until their phone crashes. Then there's always issues whenever Google makes an update to the core system. Every phone basically has it's own proprietary OS. Android is just a base to build from. Most of the apps that are considered "stock android" aren't even universal.

A factory reset and only installing OTAs would probably give you the most stable experience. Nobody does that.

You're right. I used to load my phone up with apps and then decided I was better off limiting the apps to most used and helpful. Of course I was also going for maximum battery life.

I keep the ones I use all the time installed now, and just reinstall occasional use ones as needed.

• If anyone wants a ZTE phone running the latest Android software I recommend the ZTE Max XL

• tamelion1117tamelion1117 Nampa, IDPosts: 44

We all just have to come to the realization that we ZMP users may and

probably will never see Android 7 on this device.

• thecarpenterthecarpenter Mesquite, TexasPosts: 635 ✭✭✭✭✭

honestly. I'm running a couple different units on nougat. It's not worth

it anyway. B20 update for zmp is better than anything nougat, as an os,

has to offer. I know the split screen feature in aos 7.1.1 is a desired

feature. At least I personally thought it was. But it is still very basic

and unrefined. It's not ready for the demanding user market. But I'm

ready to wait for a better version. It's just not complete. I do believe

ZTE will be one of the first to successfully optimize aos7 though. ....so

I keep checking back with ZTE.

Finally, be happy with what you have. The grass ain't always greener on

the other side. Real talk

When did the Zmax Pro come out originally? Also you need to bug MetroPCS for Nougat because it's a carrier device so MetroPCS has to ask ZTE to update it to Nougat.

• alanhoustonalanhouston Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

jimlloyd 40 is 100% correct.  Only T-Mobile/MetroPcs can make the decision to add Nougat to the Zmax Pro.  ZTE simply supplies what they are asked to supply.

It has been T-Mobile/MetroPcs policy to provide both major and minor updates for two years with phones selling for $300 to $900.  Their phones selling for $20 to $300 get minor updates for a year to 18 months but only very rarely get major software updates.

MetroPcs lets customers buy half price phones every 90 days.  Many Metro customers take advantage of that policy.  I have bought a dozen Metro phones over the past five years.  If I wanted a Nougat phone, Metro has one for $60. Right now, Marshmallow is much more polished than Nougat, so I'm not eager to change.

Apple takes the opposite approach.  We have an Apple iPhone 7 Plus in the house that cost $900.  It gets minor security updates on a regular basis and it will get three major software updates over the next three years.  But, for $900, you could buy ten Metro phones, enjoy them for a year, and then replace them when the new Android update comes out.

• jimmyjimmy Posts: 169 ✭✭✭✭

WHERE IS MY GIFT CARD I took the survey over a month ago

And who knows, if you buy 10 of them in one year you might get one that works.    Sorry I couldn't resist. Seriously though I had the Zmax Pro and it worked well and I liked it but T-Mobile wouldn't allow me to use it on a data only SIM card. I bought it for my delivery app and on my work phone I don't want a call plan. I only pay $10 per month for a data only plan.

• sshasansshasan Z-Community Moderator New York Posts: 3,206 admin

I mentioned this in another post but I will place it here as well.

We've reached out to the appropriate internal teams to address this issue. While the survey ran through Z-Community the gift cards are being issued through a 3rd party vendor.

I can assure you this matter will be taken care of and we appreciate the patience of all those involved.

• alanhoustonalanhouston Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Actually, it is a bit of a hobby of mine to compare cheap Metro phones to the Apple phones the rest of my household prefers.

I grade the Android phones on a scale where the Apple 7 Plus is at a hundred points.  I have a $19 Metro phone that scores about 60 points on the Apple scale, some $30 phones at about 70 points and the Zmax Pro at 85 or 90 points. 

The one area where the Metro Android phones always fall waaaay short is the camera. Never even close to Apple quality.

On the plus side, for phone calls, texts and emails, the Zmax Pro has been very smooth and reliable for just 15% of the price of the Apple 7 Plus.

I enjoy listening to Spotify with Sennheiser headphones.  The Pro, to my ancient ears, sounds better than the iPhone. And, music is more important to me than a camera.

It only took me 4 to find one that was just a pain in the ****, and not completely unusable.

• zmaxproguy7zmaxproguy7 HoustonPosts: 19 ✭✭✭✭

Mine cost $99, but it has flagship specs

I hate to burst your bubble but the Zmax Pro is a great phone for the price but it's not remotely close to flagship specs.

I have to respectfully disagree bro.

The only thing the zmp is missing is another gig or 2 of RAM.  Other than that, I'll put the specs and PERFORMANCE of zmp against g8, any minute of any day.  And btw, I do that daily.  So you're not bursting any bubbles here by tossing marbles.  And yeah, I paid a cool Benny for my zmp.....not $850.  , I'm glad you're enjoying your zmp.  How long have you had it?  What build number are you running?

are you on metro or T-Mobile?

You do realize that you just asked yourself what carrier you are on don't you?

That doesn't surprise me Jim.lol

Anyway.....I think I'm on Nextel

In a carpenter Jim. not an electronics engineer.

-Bones

you can't possibly be serious. The Zmax Pro for the price is a great phone but giving it a couple of gigs of additional RAM doesn't come close to the S8. I don't even like Samsung but you can't compare a 4 GB of RAM Zmax Pro to an S8. The things that the Zmax Pro would need to add is one of the best cameras in the business. A 2K screen. A Snapdragon 835. VR capabilities. The equivalent wifi capabilities. Bluetooth 5.0. An Iris scanner. IP dust and water resistance. Gorilla glass 5. Adreno 540 GPU. Far more radio frequencies to work on all the US carriers. There is actually a lot more but you should get the picture by now.

I'm all for being loyal and talking up a product that I believe in but I'm also realistic. I'm not going to compare a Honda Civic to a BMW.

Let me explain what I mean about Flagship specs. I know that it can't compare to flagship phones such as the Galaxy S8, Google Pixel, LG G6, etc. I'm just talking about certain specs on the ZmaxPro that are awesome for a $99 device. First is the 1080p screen resolution. It is the only phone to my knowledge under $100 that has a Full HD display. Second is the size. 6" display is awesome. I like big phones. Third is battery. The 3400 mAh battery is a beast lol. I can go for days without having to charge with average usage (I'm not a gamer on phones). Fourth is memory. 32 GB and 2 GB Ram is a very large amount for me because I don't have a lot of stuff using up my memory. Fifth is a fingerprint sensor that works pretty well. Sixth is the 13 MP camera. The photes are very crisp and clear, and the color is amazing. So, in summary, those are some of the things that I think are great about this phone, and it was within my budget. I just can't afford a $700 phone. I watched many youtube reviews on lots of phones before I purchased the ZmaxPro. They all gave it great reviews for a budget phone, and helped me make my decision. While I do agree with you that it doesn't have certain flagship specs such as processor, etc, it is the best phone in my opinion for less than $100.

I have had it about 6 weeks. I'm not sure about the build number. I bought it at MetroPCS, and it currently has Marshmallow 6.0.1 I'm hoping that it gets the Nougat 7.0 update soon. A ZTE rep told me that it will be getting it, but right now they are testing it out, so he could not give me a time frame. I am very happy with my phone. Do you have the ZmaxPro as well ? If so, do you like it ? What are the pros and cons in your opinion ? Thanks for replying to my post. I just joined this community yesterday. I am fascinated by smartphones. I have been reading about them and watching youtube unboxing videos for a couple of years. I can usually detect what kind of phone people in public just by glancing at them lol. iPhones, and Samsung Galaxy's are the easiest to spot with their home buttons and logos. Where do you live ? My name is Randy and I live in Houston, Texas.

I'm on MetroPCS. You ?

I agree with you. I've said many times what a bargain it is at that price. Although it does cost $179 at T-Mobile. I have a grandfathered business plan with T-MO and I actually bought a Zmax Pro but returned it when I found out that I couldn't have a data only plan for it. If it's a phone sold through them they don't allow a data only plan.

welcome to the Community. If you want to know the build number just go to the settings and click on "about phone" and then scroll down to "build number".

Thanks man !

Glad to find others that like this phone. I'm very happy with it and found

a nice Rubberized case on Amazon for only $7.99. I got one clear and one

black. Google "Rubberized gel case ZmaxPro Amazon" and you will find it.