Axon 7 On International Travel

Answers

• Motorola G4 is $99 right now on Amazon. It's a special discount if you are willing to see Amazon adds on your lock screen.

• l seriously considered the Moto G4. Comparing the two phones I found that the s7 has a much higher display resolution with 534 ppi pixel density vs 401 ppi. The s7 also has Super AMOLED. The s7 offers better optics with OIS, a better camcorder and HDR capability. The s7 Octa Core runs at 2300 MHz vs 1500 MHz and the s7 has 4GB or RAM vs 2 GB RAM for the Moto G4. The s7 has more LTE bands. Finally, the s7 has hearing aid compatability, but the Moto G$ doesn’t, which is an important feature for old guys like me. I lost my hearing in Vietnam.

You mentioned that the Moto G4 had a “dramatically more friendly UI”. How so?

Repotedly, the s7 Edge is way better than the s6 Edge. We’ll see.

Ed

• Nougat is available for the s7 Edge and the Moto G4, according to Phone Arena.

• Thanks, but I think I’ll pass. Besides annoying ads, the Samsung Galaxy s7 Edge has other features I like and need. As mentioned in another post I found that the s7 has a much higher display resolution with 534 ppi pixel density vs 401 ppi. The s7 also has Super AMOLED. The s7 offers better optics with OIS, a better camcorder and HDR capability. The s7 Octa Core runs at 2300 MHz vs 1500 MHz and the s7 has 4GB or RAM vs 2 GB RAM for the Moto G4. The s7 has more LTE bands. Finally, the s7 has hearing aid compatability, but the Moto G$ doesn’t, which is an important feature for old guys like me.

Ed

• It is not a sound boost. Sound volume is controlled by increasing the volume on the hearing aid. The M4, T3 ratings relate to the amount of squeel and interference generated between the phone and the hearing aid. Here’s an article that briefly describes the ratings. The s7 has M4 and T3. The Moto G4 does not.

Hearing Aid Compatible

HAC

When wireless devices are used near hearing devices (such as hearing aids and cochlear implants), users may detect a buzzing, humming, or whining noise. Some hearing devices are more immune than others to this interference, and wireless devices also vary in the amount of interference they generate.

The wireless telephone industry has developed ratings to assist hearing device users in finding wireless devices that may be compatible with their hearing devices. Not all wireless devices have been rated. Wireless devices that are rated will have the rating displayed on their box together with other relevant approval markings.

The ratings are not guarantees. Results will vary depending on the user's hearing device and hearing loss. If your hearing device is vulnerable to interference you may not be able to use a rated wireless device successfully.

M-Ratings: Wireless devices rated M3 or M4 meet FCC requirements and are likely to generate less interference to hearing devices than wireless devices that are not labeled. M4 is the better/higher of the two ratings.

T-Ratings: Wireless devices rated T3 or T4 meet FCC requirements and are likely to be more usable with a hearing device's telecoil ("T Switch" or "Telephone Switch") than unrated wireless devices. T4 is the better/higher of the two ratings. (Note that not all hearing devices have telecoils in them).

Most phones that are rated T3 also have an M3 rating. Similarly, most phones rated T4 also have an M4 rating.

Hearing devices may also be measured for immunity to this type of interference. Your hearing device manufacturer or hearing health professional may help you find results for your hearing device. The more immune your hearing aid is, the less likely you are to experience interference noise from wireless devices.

Ed

• I’ve read the projected features for the s8. The price I have for the s7 is much less than what the s8 will be. In terms of functionality I didn’t read anything that would justify spending the additional bucks, at least for my purposes.

• Given the price I have for the s7, the cost differentials aren’t all that much. I think TouchWiz can be disabled, but I could be wrong. The speakers on the s7 are supposed to be better than the speakers on the s6. But in truth I probably won’t be using the speakers all that much. From all I’ve read, the s7 Edge was a major step up from the s6 and the s6 Edge. Guess I’ll find out.

Ed

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a bit confused with the bunched up bands, but the Axon 7 does indeed have CDMA bands, but not really used internationally and even in US, it's not compatible with Verizon and Sprint, or at least officially. The Galaxy S7 Edge Unlocked (US SM-G935U) does have CDMA bands also and is fully compatible with all US carriers, as it is one of the phones with most bands available to be used on many networks.

Samsung haven't really rolled out Nougat on all Galaxy S7 / S7 Edge either. Only to certain models and regions. US carrier branded versions are still waiting for Nougat update.

• Like I said, I wasn’t too sure about modifying or changing TouchWiz. Don’t know is TouchWiz is much better or worse than the MiFavor 4.0 UI. I know the S6 speaker is significantly louder than the speaker on the S5. The S7 Edge I’m looking at is brand new sealed in the box factory unlocked for $580. Not a great price, but good enough to get Nougat and not mess with MiFavor. BTW here’s a link to the first look at the S8: http://phandroid.com/2017/01/26/samsung-galaxy-s8-first-look-leak/

Ed

• Sorry about the bunched up bands. The formatting from phone arena didn’t hold in the email. Here’s a link that shows the comparison:

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-S7-edge,ZTE-Axon-7/phones/9818,10068

Actually, Samsung has rolled out Nougat for unlocked s7 and s7 Edge. If you go here: https://www.s7fanclub.com/2017/01/download-update-android-nougat-7-0-stock-roms-gala you can scroll down the page and apply the download for Android 7. Who knows how long it will be before US carriers upgrade to Android 7.

Ed

Download Final Android Nougat 7.0 Stock ROM / Firmware for Galaxy S7 / Galaxy S7 Edge 1. Samsung Galaxy S7 SM-G930F: Download Here (2.1 GB) 2. Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge SM-G935F: Download Here (2.2 GB) Disclaimer For Manual Upgrade to Final Android Nougat 7.0 with ODIN Please make sure to backup all of your important data before proceeding with manual upgrade process. And you must be a pro user, in order to proceed with manual flashing process. In case anything goes wrong due to your negligence, we at S7 Fan Club will not be held responsible for any damage caused. How To Update & Flash Final Android Nougat 7.0 on Galaxy S7 / Edge with ODIN? 1. Download Android Nougat 7.0 Final Stock ROM Firmware from the links given above, and extract it on your PC. It’s around 2.2GB compressed download and requires 4.5 GB free space approximately on your PC storage drive in order to extract it. 2. Download ODIN and Samsung Drivers and extract them on your Windows PC. 3. Install Samsung Drivers on your PC & then Run ODIN. 4. Enable OEM unlock on your phone: Go to Settings » About phone » and tap Build number seven times to enable Developer options. Go back to main Settings page, scroll to bottom and select Developer options from there. Under Developer options, look for Enable OEM unlock checkbox/toggle and enable it. 5. Boot your device into Download mode: a. Switch off your device. b. Press and hold “Home + Power + Volume down” buttons for a few seconds until you see a warning screen. c. Press Volume Up on the warning screen to accept it and boot into Download mode. d. Once your Galaxy S7 / Edge is in download mode, connect it to the PC with a USB cable. The Odin window on PC should detect the device and show an “Added!!” message. 6. Now we’ll select each firmware file (from files we got in Step 1 above) into the appropriate box in Odin. a. Click on CSC tab and select the firmware file starting with HOME_CSC in its name. └ Note: Do NOT select the regular CSC file that starts with CSC in its name, as that would replace your CSC and thus would result factory data reset of the device. In case you are stuck at “Meta-data/Fota.zip” with ODIN, you might need to use simple CSC file instead of HOME_CSC. But this will erase your all data from the device. b. Click on CP tab and select file starting with CP in its name. c. Click on BL tab and select the file starting with BL in its name. d. Click on AP tab and select the file starting with AP in its name. └ Note: DON’T play with any other options on Odin the screen. You’re only required to connect your device and select the firmware files as instructed above. 7. Click the Start button on Odin and wait for it to finish the process. Once it has finished successfully, you’ll see a pass message on the Odin screen. 8. Your Galaxy S7 / Edge will automatically reboot when Odin is done flashing. You can then disconnect your device. └ It might take some time for the first boot after flashing a stock firmware.

Read more at S7FanClub.com: Download & Update Final Android Nougat 7.0 Firmware for Galaxy S7 / Edge https://wp.me/p7gu7T-paDownload Final Android Nougat 7.0 Stock ROM / Firmware for Galaxy S7 / Galaxy S7 Edge 1. Samsung Galaxy S7 SM-G930F: Download Here (2.1 GB) 2. Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge SM-G935F: Download Here (2.2 GB) Disclaimer For Manual Upgrade to Final Android Nougat 7.0 with ODIN Please make sure to backup all of your important data before proceeding with manual upgrade process. And you must be a pro user, in order to proceed with manual flashing process. In case anything goes wrong due to your negligence, we at S7 Fan Club will not be held responsible for any damage caused. How To Update & Flash Final Android Nougat 7.0 on Galaxy S7 / Edge with ODIN? 1. Download Android Nougat 7.0 Final Stock ROM Firmware from the links given above, and extract it on your PC. It’s around 2.2GB compressed download and requires 4.5 GB free space approximately on your PC storage drive in order to extract it. 2. Download ODIN and Samsung Drivers and extract them on your Windows PC. 3. Install Samsung Drivers on your PC & then Run ODIN. 4. Enable OEM unlock on your phone: Go to Settings » About phone » and tap Build number seven times to enable Developer options. Go back to main Settings page, scroll to bottom and select Developer options from there. Under Developer options, look for Enable OEM unlock checkbox/toggle and enable it. 5. Boot your device into Download mode: a. Switch off your device. b. Press and hold “Home + Power + Volume down” buttons for a few seconds until you see a warning screen. c. Press Volume Up on the warning screen to accept it and boot into Download mode. d. Once your Galaxy S7 / Edge is in download mode, connect it to the PC with a USB cable. The Odin window on PC should detect the device and show an “Added!!” message. 6. Now we’ll select each firmware file (from files we got in Step 1 above) into the appropriate box in Odin. a. Click on CSC tab and select the firmware file starting with HOME_CSC in its name. └ Note: Do NOT select the regular CSC file that starts with CSC in its name, as that would replace your CSC and thus would result factory data reset of the device. In case you are stuck at “Meta-data/Fota.zip” with ODIN, you might need to use simple CSC file instead of HOME_CSC. But this will erase your all data from the device. b. Click on CP tab and select file starting with CP in its name. c. Click on BL tab and select the file starting with BL in its name. d. Click on AP tab and select the file starting with AP in its name. └ Note: DON’T play with any other options on Odin the screen. You’re only required to connect your device and select the firmware files as instructed above. 7. Click the Start button on Odin and wait for it to finish the process. Once it has finished successfully, you’ll see a pass message on the Odin screen. 8. Your Galaxy S7 / Edge will automatically reboot when Odin is done flashing. You can then disconnect your device. └ It might take some time for the first boot after flashing a stock firmware.

Read more at S7FanClub.com: Download & Update Final Android Nougat 7.0 Firmware for Galaxy S7 / Edge https://wp.me/p7gu7T-paDownload Final Android Nougat 7.0 Stock ROM / Firmware for Galaxy S7 / Galaxy S7 Edge 1. Samsung Galaxy S7 SM-G930F: Download Here (2.1 GB) 2. Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge SM-G935F: Download Here (2.2 GB) Disclaimer For Manual Upgrade to Final Android Nougat 7.0 with ODIN Please make sure to backup all of your important data before proceeding with manual upgrade process. And you must be a pro user, in order to proceed with manual flashing process. In case anything goes wrong due to your negligence, we at S7 Fan Club will not be held responsible for any damage caused. How To Update & Flash Final Android Nougat 7.0 on Galaxy S7 / Edge with ODIN? 1. Download Android Nougat 7.0 Final Stock ROM Firmware from the links given above, and extract it on your PC. It’s around 2.2GB compressed download and requires 4.5 GB free space approximately on your PC storage drive in order to extract it. 2. Download ODIN and Samsung Drivers and extract them on your Windows PC. 3. Install Samsung Drivers on your PC & then Run ODIN. 4. Enable OEM unlock on your phone: Go to Settings » About phone » and tap Build number seven times to enable Developer options. Go back to main Settings page, scroll to bottom and select Developer options from there. Under Developer options, look for Enable OEM unlock checkbox/toggle and enable it. 5. Boot your device into Download mode: a. Switch off your device. b. Press and hold “Home + Power + Volume down” buttons for a few seconds until you see a warning screen. c. Press Volume Up on the warning screen to accept it and boot into Download mode. d. Once your Galaxy S7 / Edge is in download mode, connect it to the PC with a USB cable. The Odin window on PC should detect the device and show an “Added!!” message. 6. Now we’ll select each firmware file (from files we got in Step 1 above) into the appropriate box in Odin. a. Click on CSC tab and select the firmware file starting with HOME_CSC in its name. └ Note: Do NOT select the regular CSC file that starts with CSC in its name, as that would replace your CSC and thus would result factory data reset of the device. In case you are stuck at “Meta-data/Fota.zip” with ODIN, you might need to use simple CSC file instead of HOME_CSC. But this will erase your all data from the device. b. Click on CP tab and select file starting with CP in its name. c. Click on BL tab and select the file starting with BL in its name. d. Click on AP tab and select the file starting with AP in its name. └ Note: DON’T play with any other options on Odin the screen. You’re only required to connect your device and select the firmware files as instructed above. 7. Click the Start button on Odin and wait for it to finish the process. Once it has finished successfully, you’ll see a pass message on the Odin screen. 8. Your Galaxy S7 / Edge will automatically reboot when Odin is done flashing. You can then disconnect your device. └ It might take some time for the first boot after flashing a stock firmware.

Read more at S7FanClub.com: Download & Update Final Android Nougat 7.0 Firmware for Galaxy S7 / Edge https://wp.me/p7gu7T-pa

• As I mentioned in my reply to runtohell121, Nougat is available for unlocked s7 and s7 Edge phones. Also, provided the download info. US carriers are woefully slow with most upgrades. So who knows when they’ll offer Nougat with their plan phones. Just another advantage of buying unlocked phones.

BTW for your entertainment here’s a link comparing the s7 and the Axon 7: http://www.androidauthority.com/zte-axon-7-vs-samsung-galaxy-s7-722336/

The nice thing about the s8 article is that its not speculation.

Ed

Best of luck to you on buying the International variant of the Galaxy S7 Edge. It has it's ups and downs, as it does use the Exynos processor which is a bit more optimized than the Snapdragon variant, but you'll also not be getting any warranty on that unit. And for using it in the US, you might eventually have some issues with network compatibility AT&T or T-Mobile, depending on the area you're in and which LTE band it uses.

Not sure if you're into mobile payment system via Samsung Pay, if you are; you're not getting it on the international version either, at least it's not compatible to be used in the US or just doesn't have Samsung Pay at all.

• True, but this article was an actual “hands on the s8 phone” report, which takes it out of the speculation world.

• I contacted Samsung and their representative told me that a new in-the-box factory unlocked Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge is fully covered under warranty for one year parts and labor. They do not offer any extended warranties. Guess I’ll have to look around for a reputable repair service beyond one year. Some carriers offer extended warranty insurance coverage if one buys their plans.

Yes, I’ve previously posted my known issues with carriers and network compatability.

Ed

• You’ll note n my reply that Samsung covers a new factory unlocked phone for one full year parts and labor.

I don’t use mobile payments and won’t have a need for Samsung Pay.

Ed

I bet you Samsung representative is assuming you're talking about the SM-G935U model which they sell officially in the US and that is the only factory unlocked version in the US. The SM-G935FD or whichever model you're talking about does not have a valid US warranty. And, for a valid warranty, I'm sure Samsung assumes you're buying from an authorized retailer like Best Buy, B&H, Samsung direct, and others; not eBay or some 3rd party seller that sells the International variants. I'm just giving you a heads up, not saying you're wrong or anything, but that's what I believe for warranty on phones. Anyways, good luck on the purchase. Make sure you do enough research since it is a bigger purchase when compared to the Axon 7.