Zmax Issue

arysynarysyn IllinoisPosts: 1,067

Hey everyone,

I loved having the Zmax, as I've written about quite a bit since joining here yesterday.

However, as I've also mentioned too, on my first Zmax, the LTE radio died. I have my suspicions, such as a virus, or possibly because I was using many network tracking software apps that would check the spectrum and nearest sites.

I'm curious if this had happened to anyone else using the Zmax. Overall though , it is a very good smartphone.

Comments

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

Hmmm very interesting. I've never heard of an LTE radio dying. I'll do a bit of searching into it later though.

• soonertoadsoonertoad OklahomaPosts: 35 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Zmax is about two years old . It is still running strong. I have never had the slightest LTE issue.

• waxysdarglewaxysdargle Fort Worth, TXPosts: 10

What exactly do you mean when you say the radio "died"? What are the symptoms and how did they manifest? Have you tried flashing a new radio?

• sirrussirrus CaliforniaPosts: 155

Perhaps Arysyn means it quit working. That's something referred to often that way, as it died or conked out, that sort of thing.

• waxysdarglewaxysdargle Fort Worth, TXPosts: 10

I am looking for more specifics... like does it work at all? does it give any indication of initialization at boot? are there any fluctuations at all in signal strength? what are the readouts in the system "about" settings?  what do the settings look like when you try the code *#*#4686#*#* in dialer?

• arysynarysyn IllinoisPosts: 1,067

what occurred was the LTE radio indicator wouldn't ever show up. The device would only connect to LTE. I did some checking on speed tests and the network monitoring apps I used which confirmed the device completely stopped connecting to LTE. I took it in to T-Mobile, which told me to contact customer service and see if they'd send another device to me, which they did. The one they first sent was a badly refurbished model which I returned, though they sent a very like-new one after that which was in excellent condition and the LTE radio worked.

Specifically on the display, the one that "died" showed the 3G icons to indicate, but never showed a definitive indicator proving an unusable LTE radio, it just wouldn't connect to LTE. The device booted uo fine and connected to the T-Mobile service, but only on 3G, never went to LTE. It sometimes would get HSPA "4G", but rarely. Another thing that happened is the device readio that did connect often disconnected, and went back and forth between that and operating status between 2g and 3g quite rapidly. Something seemed wrong with the radio, so while it may not actually have been an LTE radio, the LTE connectivity just never worked after it seemed to "die" off. I would like to have found out exactly what happened to it though, as it would have given me some insight about it.