Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

{Axon 7} Share Your Dual Front Facing Speaker Experiences With Us For A Chance To Win a $25 Gift Car

yindanyindan Posts: 58 ✭✭✭✭✭

Consumer Labs would like to invite current Axon 7 users to share their experiences and usage scenarios with the dual front facing speakers of the Axon 7.

We would like to learn about:

1.) In what scenarios do you usually use the dual front facing speakers on the device? (Ex. watching movies, listening to music, playing games...)  Regarding the dual front facing speakers usage scenarios, could you share more details about when , where and how do you use it. If you can share the pictures where and how you use it that would be helpful. 

2.) Are there any specific reasons why dual front facing speakers are most important to you in these scenarios?

3.) Are there any cons related to the dual front facing speakers that you would like to share with us.

4.) What suggestions could you provide to help us improve the current setup of the dual front facing speakers? 

There are no right or wrong answers in this survey... please feel free to share your experiences with us. You may even have a chance to win a $25 Gift Card.

Comments

• 0mie0mie SeattlePosts: 5

1.) In what scenarios do you usually use the dual front facing speakers on the device?

Typically I use this for watching YouTube videos or Netflix, but games & music are a great experience also.

2.) Are there any specific reasons why dual front facing speakers are most important to you in these scenarios?

Typically they are on back of the device or bottom & this doesn't translate to a good listening experience!

3.) Are there any cons related to the dual front facing speakers that you would like to share with us.

None that I can think of currently, unless there's a lot of people around who don't want to listen to the same content.

4.) What suggestions could you provide to help us improve the current setup of the dual front facing speakers? 

They are perfect for front facing.

• 1. I use my front facing speakers for speaker phone calls, also for podcast or music in the shower.

2. I listen to podcast a lot and share my music taste with others. Front facing  speakers are the only clear way to go.

3.not one con yet.

4. They could use a bit more bass. That's about it.

• 1.) In what scenarios do you usually use the dual front facing speakers on the device? (Ex. watching movies, listening to music, playing games...)

Watching YouTube videos and listening to music for sure.  I like that I can, for the most part, leave my Bluetooth speaker at home and have high quality sound with me when I am out and about

I just love the sound space compared to a single mono setup.  While you can increase volume to match loudness, it will always lack fullness compared to two speakers pointed right at you.  This is my main reason for upgrading from the Axon Pro.

Size.  The forehead and chin have to be larger to accommodate the speakers.  And speakerphone when flipped over sounds muffled.

What if a manufacturer had a 1mm thicker or so phone so they could rearrange the components, have a larger battery, and allowed for shorter chins and foreheads of the device.  This also might allow for sound chambering to tweak the sound, a la Bose.

• wiseman13wiseman13 United StatesPosts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

1. I use them for YouTube and Netflix viewing and with all of my Daydream applications.

2. Dual front firing makes for a louder more emersive watching experience. This is especially true for VR games that just pop with it.

3. The size of the top and bottom bezel to accommodate them. Also I'd the phone is face down the sound is muted if I was using them to play music.

4. Ditch the capacitive buttons to save space so you could shrink the device a quarter inch in height making it easier to use one handed. This is especially true since you have the finger print scanner on the back like it should be.

• kietkiet Posts: 17 ✭✭✭✭

1.) In what scenarios do you usually use the dual front facing speakers on the device? (Ex. watching movies, listening to music, playing games...)

I never use them anywhere except for in the shower. I have a spot near my hangars where I place the phone. While showering I use Google Now to play/skip songs giving me a hands-free experience.

IMG_2032.JPG

IMG_2033.JPG

IMG_2034.JPG

I used to use a tablet specifically for this purpose but the front-facing speakers on the a7 are good enough that I no longer need to use the tablet.

I foresee a future where I probably have to choose between front-facing speakers or full screen bezel-less display. I would go with the bezel-less display since I could just go back to using my tablet.

I think they're perfectly positioned.

• bjs116bjs116 Posts: 12 ✭✭✭

1.) In what scenarios do you usually use the dual front facing speakers on the device?

- When not using headphones I watch a lot of YouTube, Twitch, Netflix, and movies/shows with VLC.

- Coming from devices that have a single speaker on the bottom, the dual speakers make watching any content w/o headphones much more enjoyable. The overall sound and volume is much better.

- When the phone is flipped over, the sound may be muffled. This is minor, as you would not be consuming content with the phone in this position.

- The Dolby hardware/software is great-if you make another phone, feel free to keep this incorporated. Also, if the phone has to be a little thicker to allow for a larger battery and/or other hardware, the community will not care too much if the benefits outweigh the small increase in overall thickness. Too many manufactures are trying to make the slimmest device, when so much more can be had if these phones were just a little thicker.

• 1. I use my front facing speakers for general media consumption (e.g. music, videos, etc.) And the occasional speaker call.

2. I love stereo capabilities, especially when listening to some specific tracks that sound best in multichannel setups.

3/4. I love the placement and inclusion of the dual front facing speakers. The only con that I could really point out is the plastic bezel, but that's not a huge problem for me.

• 1. I use my front facing speakers for podcasts, music, and radio daily, plus it is great for YouTube.

2. I love not having to use headphones all the time and is just so much louder, clear and better preforming than rear facing and bottom mounted speakers.

3. I don't have one.

4. They could use a bit more bass and getting a higher quality speakers for even better sound.

• doubleddoubled IndianapolisPosts: 7 ✭✭✭✭✭

1.) In what scenarios do you usually use the dual front facing speakers on the device? I listen to lots of talk radio as well as music,  mostly classical and rock.  I have found that most phones are harsh and difficult to listen to for any period of time so I got excited about the Axon 7 with all its features AND a focus on good quality sound. 

With front facing speakers I can enjoy actual stereo sound with music and movies but I have also found talk radio much easier to listen to with better quality speakers pointed in the correct direction.

Nothing yet but the only thing I can think of is over time pocket lint might get stuck in the grills.  So far that has not been a problem.

I really like that configuration.  It works very well for how I lay the phone down.  I prefer to lay the phone so I can see the screen as well as hear the music properly. 

I really got excited by the focus on audio with this phone.  You don't see that on any of the premium phones out there and the Axon 7 has that focus along with the looks and quality you get from any of the premium phones on the market.  I have only had this phone for a few days but I can Already tell I made the right decision in buying this one. By the way,  the headphones sound great as well. So far I have only used the ear buds that come with the phone but I can tell an emidiate difference in sound over other phones. Thanks ZTE!

• 1.) In what scenarios do you usually use the dual front facing speakers on the device? (Ex. watching movies, listening to music, playing games...)

I use the speakers when I watch TV or movies. I notice the front facing speakers the most when using Google's Daydream. It makes a big difference in games.

2.) Are there any specific reasons why dual front facing speakers are most important to you in these scenarios? It's nice not to have to use earbuds especially with the Google Daydream.

I like using custom ROMs like Lineage OS. Unfortunately, only one channel (I think the left) works with custom ROMs.

Provide the commits or source code for developers so they can utilize the awesome stereo speakers on the phone.

• busymanbusyman CanadaPosts: 401 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

1: I mainly use them to watch YouTube or Netflix; occasionally Spotify too. Also, if I'm playing a game, more often than not I'll be playing audio through the speakers as opposed to headphones.

2: Front-facing speakers are incredibly important to me. My first Android smartphone had a back-firing speaker, and I remember how annoying it became with regards to sound quality and volume. It just makes no sense to have speakers facing any other direction apart from the front. Obviously, phones with stereo sound have much better sound quality and get a lot louder too, so using them to watch videos and stream music makes perfect sense. Since my first smartphone, all my phone's have had front-facing stereo speakers, and the Axon 7 is no exception.

3: None, other than the visible dust that gets stuck between the grills.

4: There are a couple of things that could be improved with front-facing speakers, Axon 7's specifically. First, as mentioned previously, it would be great to have the speaker grills dustproof. Sometimes things get in between and it becomes frustrating trying to take it out, and when I see it it gives me OCD lol. Also, I noticed that the bottom speaker is louder than the top one, which becomes apparent when watching videos in landscape. This is pretty annoying, but I'm somewhat used to it since my previous phone had the same issue (also front-firing). Furthermore, I would slightly improve sound quality (if possible). When playing audio, there is a noticeable hiss (white noise) in the background which gets even louder with Dolby Atmos enabled. Not only that, but playing audio at volumes over 50% starts to cause degradation of the sound quality, which is pretty disappointing. Finally, as others have mentioned, make the sound fuller with improved lows. Comparing the Axon's speakers with my girlfriends iPhone 7, it's pretty apparent that this phone basically has no bass to it, whereas the iPhone actually has a punch to it.

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,072 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic question I absolutely love front facing speakers.

1. I definitely use it for watching videos and playing games. The sound of stereo front facing speakers with Dolby Atmos is amazing. Games and movies feel so much more dynamic, pair that with a high resolution and high quality screen and it's perfect for media consumption.

That is as long as you can disable heads up display notifications, please fix this in your Nougat build. I often praise the Axon 7 for it's high quality stereo speakers with Atmos when I talk with others.

2. Mostly it's because when I try to hold my phone with my hands my hand will usually block the speaker. Making the sound muffled and it's only a single speaker. It lacks the richness and fullness of 2 speakers which are facing you and not blocked by your hand.

3. The only cons I can think of is it forces the phone to be a little longer. I find that to be perfectly acceptable though with how you designed the Axon 7. The Nexus 6P had huge bezels with so much wasted space. ZTE found a way to squeeze in 2 front facing stereo speakers that were higher quality using less space. That really impressed me.

4. The only thing I can think of to improve upon what you've already done is make sure that both speakers are equal volume. If I use my finger to cover up each speaker and alternate I can hear one is louder than the other. I also noticed this on the Nexus 6P the earpiece speaker always seems to be quieter. This has always bothered me, I prefer the sound to be equal and balanced.

• kelvinkelvin Walnut, CAPosts: 17 ✭✭✭

1.) In what scenarios do you usually use the dual front facing speakers on the device? (Ex. watching movies, listening to music, playing games...)

I use them to listen to podcasts in my car (the phone is mounted in a AC vent mount.)  Also speakerphone calls.

Previous phone was terrible, not loud enough, had to use bluetooth headset.  Axon 7 is plenty loud even at freeway speeds.

Speakerphone calls are much clearer and louder.

Sometimes they are TOO loud. Some of my games I have to turn down to minimum loudness and it's still driving my wife bonkers.  But I love it!

Can't think of anything other than making the minimum loudless and little less loud.

I use the dual speakers while playing games, talking on the phone, and watching youtube.

The dual speakers are importantly much louder and clearer than a regular speaker setup. Overall it is a much more enjoyable experience.

I have no cons with dual front facing speakers.

I cannot think of anything that needs improvement. They are practically perfect as it is.

• 1. I use them when I watch a video with somebody or when my headphones or speakers are out of reach.

2. Yes. This is THE reason I bought the Axon7. Front facing is the rigth design for speakers. I want the audio thrown at me, not the wall or the floor.

3. They don't work with LineageOS (only left channel, and distorted).

4. Provide audio fix for LineageOS.

• johnorionjohnorion New YorkPosts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

lol .. well I had a very long post ... but after reading it .. it wasn't very flattering and realize that my attitude towards ZTE is effecting my post so I decided not to post it. I just hope that LineageOS can get the front facing speakers to work properly and sound as good as with the Dolby app but hopefully easier to adjust the sound properly unlike the Dolby app.. so I can start using the front facing speakers again.

• mrjlwilliamsmrjlwilliams CEO United StatesPosts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

1.) I use the speakers for music, and video watching!

2.) They are needed because the sound facing you, will almost ALWAYS sound better than any other way! This is a must! Even if the speakers are not the loudest, facing you will always sound better than most button firing speakers.

3.) The one con I've found with the Axon 7 front facing speakers, is the loudness! I've got other phones that have fun facing speakers, and while the don't sound better...they louder.

4.) If there is a way to make them louder without downloading an app, do it. I mean don't get me wrong, they are loud. But they are very clear between 50 to 80%

Thanks for listening, J. Williams

I use the front facing speakers everyday. They are great for overpowering road noise when i'm using the phone as a GPS device. Or working around the house i can play my favorite radio station and be able to hear it, amazing! No more laying my phone face down on work surfaces hoping the screen doesn't get scratched plus actually being able to hear quality sound rather than the tinny music from other phones. Finally and sometimes to most gratifying is using it at work to take conference calls. Being able to say "no, I got this" then throw down the A7 in full dual front speaker phone glory...Yeah that's right, everyone can hear the call from my phone. Thanks Axon!

I like the dual front facing speakers so that i can still access the screen while using them. Most other phones the speaker is on the rear so i constantly had to leave my phone screen side down to hear anything. With the screen side up i can multi task during boring phone calls or hear the GPS while driving. I guess no one realized that sound is very directional so having a speaker face away from the user isn't the best design.

Only during the times i accidentally turn on the radio at work without connecting my headphones...Sort of wakes up the entire office first thing in the morning.

The speakers are pretty great as they are but i have a few thoughts:

1. Allow users to easily select from a few preset sound modes through a MiPOP like widget for music, speaker phone, apps..etc.
    2. The Dolby Atmos settings don't seem to stick. I have to turn them on every time or turn on the HD for headphones multiple times. Not sure why.
  • 1.) I use the front facing speakers for music, movies and youtube. I think the front facing speakers on a huge selling point with the Axon 7!

2.) I love having the option for Dolby surround similar to having a sound bar on your phone. Having quality speakers means having a high end phone.

3.) The only cons I would say is having a greater chance of water getting in to the speakers and damaging the phone. Other than that I love the look and sound of having front facing speakers.

4.)  I love the implementation of the speakers, but having metal speaker grills will be preferred. Also having the sound be louder without distortion would also be great.

• maineferraromaineferraro MainePosts: 240 ✭✭✭✭✭

1. I use them while watching vieos on you tube & hockey fights          

2. They sound great facing you , I also like that if your holding the phone, your hand dont cover the speakers

3.I havent found anything bad about it yet

4.Make them louder , dont get me wrong , they sound great compared to other phones i had , but louder is always better !!!

• architeuthisarchiteuthis Posts: 226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mostly to play movies and play games. Don't need headphones with a dual stereo speakers. Has been a god send. Also, the phone as a whole looks much better!

2.) Are there any specific reasons why dual front facing speakers are most important to you in these scenarios? Mostly because the audio is so good, that you don't need headphones.

3.) Are there any cons related to the dual front facing speakers that you would like to share with us. Not that I can think of

4.) What suggestions could you provide to help us improve the current setup of the dual front facing speakers? Maybe find a way to reduce the bottom chin of the phone. I know it would be hard, but maybe there's a way

• fuzz_33594fuzz_33594 Valrico, FL, USAPosts: 80 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought the Axon 7 instead of the OP3T because of the speakers,which I use almost exclusively to listen to music and watch videos. I like the immersive experience of that design.

Dual, front-facing speakers have been a must have for me since the HTC M8; I didn't even consider the HTC 10 because they messed around with the speakers.

Well designed phones, such as the Axon 7, really don't increase the size of the phone significantly - especially when compared to the ugly Pixel, but size could be an issue with phones that want the fingerprint scanner on the front.

Dolby is okay - except for the tendency to not retain settings,  but I'd like to see something more akin to Viper4Android.

I drive an older car and don't have a way to connect my car's speaker to my phone.  Therefore, I just crank up the volume on my phone to play music for my kids in the car.  The dual front facing speakers with DBL is AMAZING!  Better than my speakers in my car!!

Same reason reason as above.  Need it to play music in my car.

Sometimes, it can be a bit too loud.  Sometimes, I put on a show for my kids to watch while we're eating in a restaurant and I forgot that I had cranked the volume up to the max and the sound blasts out in the middle of the restaurant.  But for the most part, the speakers are awesome!

Bose has a technology that can auto adjust its speakers to optimize your listening experience with a sensor.  It would be amazing if the phone can make us of the camera to determine your distance and auto adjust the speakers to optimize your listening experience.

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

1.) I use the speakers all the time, I hardly ever have headphones on me. Watching movie and tv shows downloaded off Showbox, Youtube, playing music from Google music, or Youtube red.

2.) Having good front facing speakers are the #1 reason I moved to the Axon line, the experience watching content on the Axon is much more immersive than other phones and thats why I love it.

3.) NONE -- Remove them and I loose interest in the Axon brand

4.) The speakers should be the #1 focus , water & dust resistance for the speakers (and the rest of the device),

and maybe an addition speaker added into the speaker grill if you can pull it off. Could you imagine a phone with QUAD front facing speakers now that would be amazing.

• saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Before getting bluetooth speakers at home and a nice pair of headphones, I used my phone's speakers for playing Color Switch, Hitman Sniper, and Gameboy games; watching videos on Youtube, and blasting music at home.

Even though I still don't use the front-facing speakers as much as I did, I'm grateful for them whenever I want to share a video or music with someone in a noisy environment like a restaurant. It's also nice to have when I want to be a menace and play my music loudly to interrupt people's conversations so they have to move away. The loud speakers also help to captivate my 9 month old nephew across the room when I'm babysitting.

Not having to worry about hand-placement is great by the way.

The only cons that I have experienced is the risk of moisture getting into the phone. Said 9 month old nephew had my phone in his mouth and I had to suck out the saliva from the speaker grills to get the phone to play sound correctly ( I was worried about rice grains falling through the speaker grilles).

Make the front-facing speakers water-resistant and optimize Dolby atmos to better recognize when I'm playing music, games, and movies. 

Your response didn't show.

Looks like you would benefit for some water-resistance there. Great improvisation.

• 1. watching videos like Netflix, Vudu, FandangoNow as well as when using google daydream. I also use it listening to music like spotify.

2. You get much more immersed in watching videos. making the sound goes where it should be coming from.

3. For me there is no cons of having 2 front speakers.

4. Maybe improve on the speaker sound quality and loudness. Better DAC and make it work on everything.

• chadavis72@gmail.com[email protected] Springfield, MOPosts: 19

I once had the Motorola Moto E with dual front facing speakers and I loved it. It brought a whole new level to my multimedia experience. Movies, music, videos, and movie streaming were all enhanced with the great sound coming from those speakers. I never had any negative experience from those speakers either.

This discussion has been closed.