Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

{Axon 7} Share Your Dual Front Facing Speaker Experiences With Us For A Chance To Win a $25 Gift Car

Comments

• killer23dkiller23d Posts: 28 ✭✭✭

1. I use it to watch movies, listen to music, and play games on it.

2. They sound better as sounds are coming from the front and I don't always have headphones with me

3. They can be a bit loud at times, I wish there are finer adjustments to the volume (currently is 7 steps, I would like to see 14-20 steps)

4. Please offer help to ​ and ​ and make those front facing speakers work with Lineage OS as they are not getting ZTE supports to fix the audio distortion problem.

• 1.) In what scenarios do you usually use the dual front facing speakers on the device? (Ex. watching movies, listening to music, playing games...)

In todays world, ones phone is used for everything media. Movies, music, games, video playback of social media clips, even listening to radio or music while in the shower, speaker phone for phone calls, record and play back of classroom lectures, outdoor recreation or sports activity listening.  Most of the phones I encounter daily are Samsung and Iphone and none come close to clarity and volume level of the A7.

2.) Are there any specific reasons why dual front facing speakers are most important to you in these scenarios?

Yes of course. Just about anyone prefers sound coming at you in stereo. Its a better user experience. But its not enough to be loud...you need clarity and dynamic sound to enjoy anything media. I dont see how my kids will ever go back to a single firing speaker at the bottom of a phone.

3.) Are there any cons related to the dual front facing speakers that you would like to share with us.

Just the speaker grill. Need better design around this going forward. Also waterproofing not just restistant would be huge.

4.) What suggestions could you provide to help us improve the current setup of the dual front facing speakers? 

Look people like or respond at least to bling. Improve the grills that are infront of the speakers to be more subtle and sleek and heck provide an option to light them up when sound emits. And add waterproofing. Whatever you do....do not get rid of them ever.....its a competitive advantage.

If you kept the speakers and added some tweaks and went stock android your sales would jump big time.

There are no right or wrong answers in this survey... please feel free to share your experiences with us. You may even have a chance to win a $25 Gift Card.

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

1.) In what scenarios do you usually use the dual front facing speakers on the device? (Ex. watching movies, listening to music, playing games...)

Listening to music & radio. Most every day.

2.) Are there any specific reasons why dual front facing speakers are most important to you in these scenarios?

Dual front facing sounds MUCH better in these scenarios than any other configuration.

3.) Are there any cons related to the dual front facing speakers that you would like to share with us.

None for me.

4.) What suggestions could you provide to help us improve the current setup of the dual front facing speakers? 

Make the equalizer continually more customizable for a better and better user experience.

• Especially when watching videos with my son, the best sound quality makes it a complete experience. I have not had any problems with the speakers so I can not say how to improve them.

• bjhiltbrandbjhiltbrand United StatesPosts: 159 ✭✭✭✭✭

1.) In what scenarios do you usually use the dual front facing speakers on the device? (Ex. watching movies, listening to music, playing games...)

I use my front-facing speakers all the time! Most of all, they are heavily used in situations such as watching movies/videos, listening to music while working in a room, and using them with Daydream (VR).

I love sharing videos with my friends. Whether it's from Facebook, Youtube, Vine, Google +, etc., I always get a kick out of their reaction to the sound, both the quality and the loudness. There is a reason why literally every review on the internet takes half the time to talk about the speakers and how amazed they are with them. The Dolby processing is really what sets this phone apart from literally any other smartphone ever made to date. I can stream a movie from my media server and have the speakers emulate the surround sound encoding and it is absolutely astounding! Finally, I tried a friend's Pixel XL recently with Daydream. While the visual experience was as good, if not better, on the Pixel XL, I found myself wanting to use and stick with my Axon 7, simply because the VR experience is so much more immersive with 2 front-facing speakers, as opposed to the down-firing speakers of the Pixel XL. While using the Pixel, I found myself tilting my head toward one side subconsciously to try to hear better. Not so with the Axon 7. It truly is the king. For me, the front-facing speakers were THE selling point of this phone. I don't understand why phone manufacturers still refuse to put front-facing speakers on their devices this day in age. I guess they want to use the space for other components in the phone. That is why I am amazed that ZTE was able to put front-facing speakers in without sacrificing looks and aesthetics. Hats off to the ZTE engineers!

There are, on occasion, times when the speakers can get "crackly". However, that is almost always remedied by stopping and re-starting my music app. Occasionally, I need to restart the phone, but noting major.

One super minor nit-pick: make the speaker grilles aluminum (not plastic) and removable. That way, when dust and debris invariably enter the grille, they can easily be detached for cleaning. Other than that, nothing. These speakers are perfect!

• maverickmaverick NJPosts: 500 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I love my Axon 7 and the audio from the speakers.

I watch youtube a lot but I listen to music often. I like to hold it up blasting a song like John Cusack in the movie "Say Anything..." lol. Say Anything... (3/5) Movie CLIP - Boombox Serenade (1989) HD - YouTube  I really like not having to cup my hand around the back or something to get the speaker audio to come around forward like almost every other phone lol.

Suggestion:

The audio quality is great. I'd liek to be able to use the dolby settings or another equalizer with all my audio apps from youtube to soundcloud or digitally imported radio

• canadianbytorcanadianbytor Posts: 9 ✭✭✭✭

We would like to learn about:

A couple of scenarios.  I take online courses, so speakers works for me.  When I am getting ready in the morning, I listen to music or the news using the speakers too.  Also, I tend to use the GPS via the speakers rather than Bluetooth, it seems more seamless.  Most times I used earbuds or headphones, but not always.  Oh, when I play the piano, I sometimes listen to Youtube versions of the piece I'm playing, the dual speakers make that sound better.

Much better quality sound than any other found I've had or tried.

None I can think of.

None I can think of.

There are no right or wrong answers in this survey... please feel free to share your experiences with us. You may even have a chance to win a $25 Gift Card.

• 1.before I got my axon 7 I Never used the speakers of my phone to listen to anything.  Today my music my movies and games all are listened to through by the ft speakers at home

2 movies and music

3. Only in that when I'm not alone I use earbuds

4. They're great as is

• 1. I mostly use my speakers for music and movies, I love to lesson music, Before i use HTC M8 for songs Youtube movies

After i saw review of AXON 7 decided to get one i love this phone

2. My love music and i like loud one because i work in construction site i required loud speakers to here my ring tone , Because of front speakers i don't miss call now days  

3. Nothing to my cons only concerns is my friends are Jules of my phone because thy are apple

4. please keep up the good work

• chuckbortchuckbort Chuck United StatesPosts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

1.) In what scenarios do you usually use the dual front facing speakers on the device? (Ex. watching movies, listening to music, playing games...)  I use the speakers primarily for watching videos and listening to music.

2.) Are there any specific reasons why dual front facing speakers are most important to you in these scenarios? I feel that they are important in these situations because they are pointed directly at me so I get the full sound experience. I don't have to worry about the screen being pointed at me but the sound going a different direction.

3.) Are there any cons related to the dual front facing speakers that you would like to share with us? Not really, I can live the larger chin because of the speaker.

4.) What suggestions could you provide to help us improve the current setup of the dual front facing speakers? Obviously louder, better quality speakers would always be an improvement but there is always price and space concerns.

• ronin550ronin550 Oak Grove, MOPosts: 151 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use them all the time, it's the best phone for media and gaming!!

Ummmm so I can hear my media!! I cant stand weak speakers ....

NOOOOOOOOO!

They are solid as is ...First class and well done!

• lexxiuslexxius BerlinPosts: 50 ✭✭✭✭

1.) Always, except when commuting and as long as I don't disturb anyone.

2.) The great high-quality stereo sound experience.

3.) None at all!

4.) Make them "rotate" according to the landscape screen orientation: If I hold the phone in landscape mode where the buttons are on the top, the left and right channels are correct. If I hold the phone in landscape mode with the buttons on the bottom then the left and right channels won't switch places and thus I'm hearing the right channel on my left and vice versa for the left channel.

Other than that they are perfectly sized and in the right place for not being covered when using the phone in landscape mode with both hands.

• lexxiuslexxius BerlinPosts: 50 ✭✭✭✭

I'd be perfectly fine with having some kind of speaker grills on the front (though much smaller to fit the bezel-less style better).

• yindanyindan Posts: 58 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, it is so cool. Thank you for sharing the photos.

• kietkiet Posts: 17 ✭✭✭✭

I was actually a bit worried but after 2 weeks of use I found that water never got up there since it's actually a bit high up, so all is good.

• 1.) In what scenarios do you usually use the dual front facing speakers on the device?

Listening to music while driving, cooking, ect. When doing paper work. While using daydream. Most of the time when listening to music, I use headphones, because as great as the speaker quality is, headphones are always 10x better.

Don't want headphones i while driving, cant hold phone while cooking. When I do paperwork, I like it more as background music instead of right in my ear so the song isn't a distraction. Daydream is a lot more immersive with the front speakers. It's really good for that.

They sit on the front, flat to the screen. Higher risk of damaging them if say you accidentally spill something on it. I have to be very careful when cleaning the phone or if installing wet mount screen protector. I take an art class, so I work with a lot of clay, paints ect. SO I have to be even more wary that I never get any paint inside them or clay dust. My solution is I put masking tape over the speakers during class.

Definitely waterproofing, even at the cost of some audio quality. Fine grills like the one used in water resistant phones would work. Would serve to prevent stuff from getting into speakers too.

• kumatora0203kumatora0203 Danvers, MAPosts: 262 ✭✭
    yindan wrote:Consumer Labs would like to invite current Axon 7 users to share their experiences and usage scenarios with the dual front facing speakers of the Axon 7.We would like to learn about:1.) In what scenarios do you usually use the dual front facing speakers on the device? (Ex. watching movies, listening to music, playing games...)2.) Are there any specific reasons why dual front facing speakers are most important to you in these scenarios?3.) Are there any cons related to the dual front facing speakers that you would like to share with us. 4.) What suggestions could you provide to help us improve the current setup of the dual front facing speakers? There are no right or wrong answers in this survey... please feel free to share your experiences with us. You may even have a chance to win a $25 Gift Card.

1 when I go to sleep and dont want headphones on

2 clear and loud audio makes me not focused on sleeping

3 i have not had any issues

4 just to keep the same quality and volume, but reduce the bezels so the screen can be bigger in the same body

• mousemouse Posts: 85 ✭✭✭✭✭

Usage scenarios for me include : Gaming, Youtube, Videos, Music.

Importance : The sound with the Dolby feature is awesome and I would hate to be without this option (very well thought out in my opinion)

Cons: 1) Ok, personally I do not like the speaker grill design (looks cheap), full glass coverage of the face with speaker slots would look a lot better (IMO)

2) The default music app is very disappointing, and yes, way better apps can be found in the Playstore. However, I cannot help but feel that any default app                for a manufacturer would have been optimized to work best with the on-board hardware shipped with the phone. Not the case here.

Suggestions:      1) Make front face all glass with speaker slots

2) Software needs to be improved to get full potential of awesome hardware (default Music player lacks functionality and lags and crashes too                               often) 

• austin45austin45 United StatesPosts: 192 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use them all the time! They sound great and its convenient to not use my headphones at times. The front speakers are great when watching movies as they do a pretty good job at immersing you into the film.

They provide a great way to listen to my content. With the added effect of Dolby Atmos, they provide an amazing overall sound quality that is great. On my old device it only had a rear speaker. I hated listening to anything on my phone without headphones as the experience was lacking with the single rear speaker. Everything was muffled and not as immersive or impactful as the Axon 7

Honestly nothing really comes to mind! The front speakers are great! I am pretty sold on front facing speakers now that I have had them. I might not every purchase a device again without this attribute

Water and dust proofing of the speaker grills would be awesome! Sometimes little bits of crumbs or dust get in the speaker grills. But honestly its not that big of a problem. Overall the speakers are amazing and great quality!

• 1. I use the front facing speakers for everything; YouTube, Music, etc. It was the single biggest selling point for me on this phone.

2. Having come from 2 generations of HTC front facing speaker phones, I was quite upset when they did away with it on the 10. I can't tell you how great it is, especially as an android user in an apple world, to not have to cup my phone up to people's ears to share things. The sting on their face is priceless!

3. The only one I can think of (that I have never personally had an issue with) is the higher susceptibility to water damage due to the 2 giant exposes grills (like when trying to use the phone while walking in the rain). Again, I've never had a problem, but could see where it could become one.

4. Better dust and water proofing would be cool, but that would probably come at the cost of audio quality in which case I'd say to not even bother. More volume and depth to the sound would be great as well.

• I just got a daydream headset today and I have to say the speakers make for an immersive stereo experience I can't imagine using a single speaker phone as a daily driver again

• 1.) In what scenarios do you usually use the dual front facing speakers on the device? (Ex. watching movies, listening to music, playing games...)

I use the front facing speakers for everything. I watch YouTube videos every day, I prefer Netflix on this phone rather than my TV for the visual and sound quality, and I listen to music with my custom Dolby Atmos setting. I even use it fine with the Daydream VR too!

I think they are more important because I used to have an iPhone with just its bottom firing speaker and since I watch a lot of videos without headphones generally.

The speakers themselves are great but sometimes when I watch YouTube videos with the Dolby Atmos movie setting configured to the "Rich" preset or anything with lower bass and the volume is too quiet, I get a lot of static buzzing whenever sound is emitted from the speakers. It's very minimal and if it gets too annoying I just turn off Dolby Atmos and it stops the problem completely.

I think that they are fantastic. I personally don't need my speakers to go any louder than they can go, and the quality is definitely better than my friend's Nexus 6P. If the Dolby Atmos issue I am experiencing has something to do with the speakers, than that would be my only gripe.

• 1. Videos and Films in Dolby Atmos and music recorded in Dolby Surround like "Aero, Jean Michel Jarre or Tubular Bells, Mike Oldfield.

2. Holding the phone in the height of your eyes, the surround sound is indeed working perfectly out of these stereo speakers. Amazing and really good.

3. No real cons

4. The bass sound could be improved for the next axon model.

F.e. by using dual drivers on each side.

An idea to get the bass effect could be developing a kind of vibrating driver, which uses decent vibration of the backcover or housing to amplify the bass.

It is just an idea, which could be interesting for the ZTE hardware developers to make a research and play arround, if and how it might be possible to realize.

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I usually use them to annoy people.  Lol!  Just kidding.  i use them to listen to iheart radio, radio disney with my kids and my favorite radio station.  As well as games when Im trying to show off.

Mostly for radio and when used with the VR device it enhances the aspect of where you are immersed in.

Only con is space but the length of the A7 has assisted with adaptation.

Nothing really as the speakers are already in the best possible location.  Actually Bose mini speakers could make the music experience even more memorable.  only thing to that would be cost to the customer.   

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,214 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Typically when I am watching movie or listening to music.

I think having a dual front speaker is nice when watching movie in particular to offer best experience. though I think it would only be important if the speaker produces loud and clear audio. I hate to have just a dual speaker that produces tiny or distorted audio.

I think what is most imprtant feature for a phone's audio is the volume and audio quality. I feel that while having dual speaker is nice, if it is not making a good sound, I much prefer to have a good single speaker and a killer sound quality coming through headset or via wireless. Another thing that I consider about dual speaker is the placement of the speakers. I think having a dual speaker should be front facing as oppose to bottom facing in order to make the best audio quality. One of the biggest cons with the dual speaker is often the size of the bezel since the speaker takes up space so having a good quality speaker without making the bezel overly large would be nice.

I think dual front facing speaker is nice but it has to minimize the bezel real estate so it will not make the phone overly large. Additionally, having software able to customize the speaker maybe useful. For example, it would possibly use the speakers in portrait mode while listening to the music where the top of the speaker functions as tweeter while the bottom speaker functions as subwoofer for additional bass boost.

• sirhc.csirhc.c Prince Rupert, BCPosts: 18 ✭✭✭✭✭

1.) In what scenarios do you usually use the dual front facing speakers on the device?

I currently use them for Caststream, YouTube, music and some Netflix.

To be honest, the front facing speakers was the reason I purchased the Axon 7 over the Oneplus 3. It was a great decision.

I haven't found any yet.

None, the size is definitely not an issue.

• 14blank4014blank40 CanadaPosts: 413 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

1) I use the dual front-page good speakers for gaming and media like movies and YouTube.

2) it's usually more oriented towards you're face meaning it's easier to hear and also usually louder since you have dual speakers

3) I put my phone face down sometimes and it cover both speakers kinda muffling the sound. Not a big issue but still.

4) if possible, dual omnidirectional speakers would the next step up, this way sound can be heard from any direction.

• mr.moonshinemr.moonshine United StatesPosts: 16 ✭✭✭✭✭

1.) In what scenarios do you usually use the dual front facing speakers on the device? (Ex. watching movies, listening to music, playing games...)  The front speakers are awesome for listening to anything, but especially music and if I need to put somebody on speakerphone.  Much louder and clearer than my old Galaxy S5 and S6!

2.) Are there any specific reasons why dual front facing speakers are most important to you in these scenarios?  Louder and clearer sound and I  can still see and access my screen.

3.) Are there any cons related to the dual front facing speakers that you would like to share with us. Well, obviously it makes the phone a little bigger,  but the better sound is well worth it.   I could even live with you making the speakers a little bit bigger,  like maybe adding another eighth inch at both ends.

4.) What suggestions could you provide to help us improve the current setup of the dual front facing speakers? Could you use any of the space in the bottom corners of the glass outside the capitance buttons to expand the size of the speakers? And what about that eighth inch of glass at the top above the notification panel? Could you shrink whatever components are under these areas to use for killer speakers? Boost the bass and volume a bit and throw in an equalizer and own the market for people who love good sound.  Everyone is always complaining about the crappy sound of their phones.

• yindanyindan Posts: 58 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks to Omie for sharing. Could you share more details regarding when, where and how do you use the dual front facing speakers?

• 0mie0mie SeattlePosts: 5

Typically use this while sitting waiting at the bus stop or if I want to share a video with friends/family, so they can all enjoy the sound. I've also used it at the park, so it gives a nice loud sound for all to hear. It's been great using it, I missed it from my old HTC devices

This discussion has been closed.