Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

What new features and/or technology would attract you to purchase a ZTE device in the medium price r

AerospacemanAerospaceman Z-Community AdministratorUnited StatesPosts: 1,424 admin

Our technology planning team is creating ZTE's technology roadmap for 2017 currently.  As this is the Consumer Lab we ask that you be as specific and detailed as possible.  The list below are just suggestions, so please speak your mind!  Thank you for being a part of Consumer Lab!!!

Some things to consider would be:

Screen technology (AMOLED, versus LCD)?

Camera quality

A Powerful battery coupled with power saving features

Wireless charging

USB-C port

NFC for mobile payments

All metal device

Fingerprint sensor(what is your preferred location?)

Modular design

Stereo forward-facing speakers

Waterproof design

Comments

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Stereo front facing speakers

Fingerprint reader (on the front or back)

Camera quality (front and rear)

AMOLED screen
    Big size battery

3 or 4gb of ram (on $200+ models, 2gb is fine for $100-$200)

Mid-range processor (Snapdragon 6xx)

• ddrakeddrake Alpharetta, GAPosts: 318 ✭✭✭

High Price Point:

Build quality (metal design)

Stronger components / glass

Bootloader access - Custom ROMs or Stock Android

Top of line cameras / audio / speakers

MicroSD

Quick charge

Fingerprint reader on front or back.  I really have no preference because both are easily accessible. 

I typically do not look into the medium price range.  I tend to pay more of a premium for devices that will last longer.

• reoreo North AmericaPosts: 167

Medium priced

AMOLED

Good user replaceable  battery with power saving features

Wireless charging

Back fingerprint sensor

Stereo speakers

Water resistant

MicroSD

4GB ram

Good rear camera

• davedave Ingolstadt, GermanyPosts: 84

High-End:

• QHD AMOLED screen, on screen buttons
    • 6GB LPDDR4 RAM
    • 64GB UFS storage
    • USB Type C with USB 3
    • fingerprint reader on the front using SenseID (so that the reader is invisible)
    • dual front facing speakers
    • small front bezels
    • stock Android + fast updates
    • high grade of software optimization
    • top tier SoC (Qualcomm 8xx/Samsung)
    • fast charging / wireless charging
    • big battery (5,5" at least 3700 mAh)
    • refined and slim design (but not too thin, it makes it uncomfortable to hold)
    • brushed metal unibody (with a dark color available!) like the new Xperia X Performance for example
    • evolutionary camera update, front and back
    • waterproof design
    • NFC

Mid-End:

• FHD AMOLED screen, on screen buttons
    • 2-3GB RAM
    • 32GB storage
    • USB Type C with USB 3
    • fingerprint reader
    • stock Android + fast updates
    • high grade of software optimization
    • fast charging
    • mid-end SoC (Qualcomm 6xx/Samsung)
    • waterresistant design
    • NFC
  • ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,618 mod

Of course all of the things you have listed, however I think a small projector would be awesome. Obviously nothing like the SPro series, but one just enough to hit the wall next to me, and watch youtube on a 20 or so inch screen. Simple enough to keep the costs reasonable, but still be usable.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,254 mod

stereo front facing speakers, fingerprint reader on the rear of the phone.

• Sub 200:

Stock Android experience

Fingerprint scanner(back of phone)

1080p

AMOled display

Expandable storage

Thin sleek design(thin bezels)

13 mp front 5mp front

Metal unibody design, if not possible at price range then support removable battery

• alanquestalanquest KenyaPosts: 106 ✭✭✭

High - End

Sleek Design

Stereo Front Facing Speakers

Hi-Fi Audio Chipsets

Super thin or no bezels

5 - 5.5" Inch QHD, Gorilla Glass 4 Screen

Aluminum Body

USB Type C

Excellent Battery Life

Top Soc - Snapdragon 820

Mali 530+ GPU

Fingerprint scanner

NFC

Top Camera - OIS, Dual Flash etc

Google Daydream VR Compatability

Quick Updates

• 2pointdooj2pointdooj Morocco, OujdaPosts: 590 ✭✭✭✭

Front facing speakers, rear mounted fingerprint, and near stock android UI.

• maulgandhimaulgandhi United StatesPosts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭

ZTE Axon 7 is a perfect embodiment for a high-end phone with reasonably priced.

For lower price phones, I recommend having at least all the following...

1. Good 8 MP camera and decent FFC camera.

2. Good 720p screen with good viewing angles and decent color reproduction.

3. The decent chipset from Qualcomm such as SD 615, 616, 808.

4. Expandable storage with internal storage of 8GB.

5. 2.5 - 3.0 GB RAM.

6. Either Marshmallow or Android N for OS.

7. Fingerprint Scanner (Optional)

8. Quick Charge (Optional)

My sentiments as well

• chrsnchrsn New YorkPosts: 217 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mid End:

1080p Screen

Snapdragon 652

3GB RAM

Metal Unibody

3000 mAh

Good audio or water proofing

fingerprint sensor (on the back)

NFC

usb type-c

Good camera.

For the mid-end, phones usually are all the same, but few of them have niche things like waterpoofing or audio without some sort of ridiculous compromise or horrible software. You have a clean software that's close to stock so the niche specialty would work for you better than ASUS or Huawei (Zenphone and the Honor 5x).

High End:

Snapdragon 820

4GB of RAM minimum

64GB storage with SD card supported

Gimmicks for the High End:

Waterproofing

4k Screen (which down samples to 1080p like the Z5 when needed)

A phone with a ridiculously big battery. People in the US went BONKERS over the S7 and the large battery, this should've raised at least a few flags with some designers. By large I mean 4000 mAh.

Dual Camera with Wide Angle Lens along with improved OIS. I'm also not sure how night photos are so far for the upcoming 7 but keep on with the high quality camera components.

2 Stage Camera button

I'm against modularity for the simple fact that if you want to target loyal customers but also new customers then it will be more of a pain to have modules to 'unlock' the capabilities of your phone, and also if someone has invested in the modules of another phone and are disappointed, they are much less likely to play the game again. Case in point, LG's G5 is not doing too hot, and the fact that a module did not come to the US has no doubt contributed to negative perception about the device.

• Battery life, all-metal, latest bluetooth, latest wifi (so many phones can't connect to my 5ghz router... still), external storage, latest android.

Battery is the most important

• hiker75hiker75 FloridaPosts: 108

Completely agree with all of these.

I mean you need a good battery but definitely not #1 priority, how long are you really away from somewhere you can quick charge it anyway

• rikkkurdrikkkurd United statesPosts: 318 ✭✭

Stereo front facing speakers

Fingerprint reader (should be fast)

Camera best available

AMOLED screen usable for daydream
    Battery large enough for full day even after a year when battery degraded.

3 or 4gb of ram

High end processor making daydream possible.

Nfc

Ir blaster

I definitely love the double tap screen option.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

For me we are talking two totally different worlds between a middle end and high end device.
    The flagship type device is almost self explanatory because everyone wants everything and the kitchen sink too.

The middle end device around 200 is the sweet spot for millions of buyers who don't need or want to pay for a flagship phone.

I think that it is important to delivery a good combination of core features that make the phone high quality at a lower price.
    This means a halfway decent processor, bigger battery for longer SoT, maybe fingerprint scanner since they are very popular and useful and offer a feel of luxury. While I like metal phones sometimes, I'm not sure if a middle end phone needs to be. I sometimes feel that a higher quality built phone that is aesthetically pleasing is still a nice phone, but it has to be quality built and not cheap and cheesy looking. Throw in a 1080p lcd and decent trickle down software features for your flagship, and you have yourself a top selling middle end device.
    I think the key to success is to offer a nice balance of features, along with one or two premium features (like the mentioned FP scanner), I high quality build (which doesn't necessarily mean high end), and smooth bug free software that doesn't venture too far away from core Android, and minimal bloatware.

You are absolutely right.

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,072 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

For the low to mid range I'd have to say fingerprint scanner and long battery life. Something Huawei is doing well with their Honor 5X. The software on it is awful though so I think you could do well with your light Android skin. Also fingerprint scanner always on the back. I've used a couple of Samsung phones with it on the front and the HTC A9. I always prefer it on the back over on the front. If you do decide to put it on the front do it like HTC though with just a touch sensitive button. Don't make it a physical button you have to press and then scan. It takes way too long and becomes annoying to always have to do that.

For a higher end phone I want it all fastest SoC out there, plenty of RAM, minimum 32GB of storage with microSD card, NFC of course, QHD AMOLED screen, USB-C, and a very big battery. I don't care if it makes the phone 3mm thicker and slightly heavier. All that tech is no good if the battery dies and it becomes a brick. I also don't like running around constantly checking my battery, like is it gonna die yet? Include a big 3400mAh battery or larger with that QHD display. You mentioned power saving features. I hope you don't mean some sort of software that kills off apps in the background like Huawei phones use. This shouldn't really be needed and ends up causing lots of problems in practice I've found. Android MM has Doze and they are taking it even further in N. Let Android do what it needs to do and don't have two different power saving features battling it out in the background.

Then there is the camera this is where I think the largely more unknown brands really need to step it up. Samsung and LG nail it on the cameras. Samsung usually a little bit more, but LG offers the best camera app by far. More megapixels does not equal better. Often I find where other phones are lacking when compared to those 2 are the camera and displays. Even if using the same technologies they always seem to be lacking in those 2 areas. The camera is a huge deciding factor for me and many others on a phone. It's also a balance between the sensor and the software. You need a good app and also good post processing engine for the image. It doesn't need to be a dual lens camera, and I honestly haven't been that impressed with images from the P9 Leica dual camera. Sure that does make it stand out but image quality is better from other single lens cameras.

I think other additional features that make you stand out and more exciting are waterproofing and force touch. It will be interesting to see what the touch sensitive Axon 7 is like. I've never used a phone like that and while I don't find it essential. I do find it interesting and if it had enough features or was supported by Android natively. I think it could add a lot of value. Regardless I love trying out new tech and it would get me excited to at least try it. To find out if it's a gimmick or truly useful. For example I find the Edge display to be a bit of a gimmick but I still love the look and like it. That could be another way to stand out as I know Vivo, Huawei, and I believe Xiaomi are all buying Edge displays from Samsung to use. Vivo has already released one. I also really love front facing speakers and glad to see that on your latest Axon 7. So that's a good way to stand out

• jamesjames Pennsylvania, USAPosts: 423

For the mid-range device I'd love to see two variations, one with a big 6" screen, the other a 4.7" - 5", and both having the same hardware, other than the battery.

For the 6" version:
    1080p AMOLED screen with at least 330 PPI
    At least a 13 MP camera with f/2.0 - f/1.8 aperture and OIS
    Dual front facing speakers
    Fast wireless charging
    USB-C
    3GB - 4GB RAM
    4500+ mAh removable battery

SD 808
    Water-resistance @ IP-67 standards
    Fingerprint sensor on the side to launch with a thumb

4.7"-5" version:

1080p AMOLED screen with at least 390 PPI
    Same camera
    Same speakers
    Same charging
    USB-C
    2 - 3 GB RAM
    2500 - 3000 removable mAh battery
    SD 800 - 808

Same water-resistance

Same fingerprint sensor

But, PLEASE - stay away from the modular design thing, unless the "modular" additions connect via the USB, or a special case.

Why should they go with the flawed SD808? :O

As we are probably speaking about 2017 here, I suggest to go with the SD65x line. By then these chips will be more reasonable and therefore (hopefully) suited for this price range. Right now you won't find them there.

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed.

• reoreo North AmericaPosts: 167

I wonder what their actual lead time from board design to production is.

• jamesjames Pennsylvania, USAPosts: 423

Hey Dave! I don't see the SD 808 as a flawed chip in any regard. In benchmark tests in LG's G4 it outperformed the 810 in several areas, making it a pretty zippy little chip. In mid-range phones I'd be willing accept the 808, but would much rather see the 820 across the board!

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

While making a budget device does involve sacrifices in certain areas, I feel that they need to start adding at least one flagship level feature. Whether it be a really good screen, really good camera, top notch speakers, lots of RAM, etc, it needs at least one of those.

This makes the device stand out more from the crowd, as where we traditionally have budget devices where things will work okay, but it is clear that compromises were made on everything, it would be nice to see a range of devices where a budget user can prioritize what is most important to them.

For example, the ZTE Imperial MAX puts a strong focus on display color accuracy, as well as battery life.

It may be good to have a budget device that caters to the user consumes a lot of media, by having color accurate display, and stereo front facing speakers, while everything else remains lower mid range.

Of for a user who only really does social media and takes photos, it may be good to have everything mid range, but have a flagship worthy 12 megapixel rear facing camera (1/2.3 inch sensor).

In the $100-200 range, no one is expecting a flagship killer, but with all of the competition in this area, having 1 or 2 features which really stand out, can make a device very compelling to the budget user.

In the $200+ ($200-250) range, the device will begin to specialize. E.g., a VR focused budget phone, may decide to stock up on a high end SOC, and a good display, and cut costs on the camera, and other nonessential components. Or it may take elements from a previous flagship and bring down costs on non-essentials.

With margins being quite high for smartphones, e.g., http://electronics360.globalspec.com/article/6128/teardown-apple-iphone-6s-a1688

It is possible to do a budget phone which implements a number of flagship level features, and in the $400+ range, you get a true flagship where you get the best of everything.

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

True, the Imperial Max does have a beautiful display.

I was also impressed with the first pictures that I took with this weekend.  I'll know more on that front this week, as I start taking pictures for presenting on my channel.

Okay, you're right. I have to recall my previous statement. I've checked the specs of both chips (808 and 652) and the feature set is more or less the same (if you weigh them up). While the 652 features Quick Charge 3.0 (the 808 only features 2.0) the 808 allows USB 3 (the 652 only USB 2). The 808 is manufactured in 20 nm process, the 652 in 28 nm. So I guess it doesn't matter that much. Maybe Qualcomm comes up with a new feature rich mid-range SoC by the time 'next generation mid-range phones' get announced

I thought the SD652 offered better specs

This discussion has been closed.