ZTE's GIGABIT PHONE

frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support EngineerTexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

As we approach 5G connectivity, our smartphone experience is about to get much faster, starting with the ZTE Gigabit Phone.

ZTE has quite a few smartphones lined up for Mobile World Congress this year. ZTE has pre-announced what may be its next flagship device a little early: the ZTE Gigabit Phone. The device is described as “forward-looking,” meaning it incorporates technology that we expect to define the future. While we may immediately think of bezel-less screens and artificial intelligence, ZTE’s headed in another direction with the Gigabit Phone: High-speed data connectivity.

The phone is said to be capable of downloading data at speeds of 1Gbps This, says ZTE, opens up the world of streaming VR video, instant access to files stored in the cloud, and hi-res music streaming to owners of the phone. It all sounds very exciting. After all, who doesn’t want speeds more regularly associated with home broadband internet connections on their phone?

However, ZTE isn’t saying anything about how these speeds will be achieved, or where they will be achieved. that discussion will begin once the device is announced.

Qualcomm

For example, ZTE’s phone may be the first smartphone announced to use Qualcomm’s X16 LTE modem, which itself is the first “Gigabit Class LTE modem,” and has a peak download speed of 1Gbps. The modem has already been used in a Netgear router, launched with Ericsson and Telstra in Australia. In smartphones, it comes packaged with the new Snapdragon 835 processor, which is expected to be a main feature of the Samsung Galaxy S8. Will ZTE somehow announce a Snapdragon 835 phone before Samsung? Maybe.

What about networks? Various carriers around the world, including Telstra, Singtel, Swisscom, and EE, have all been running 1Gbps trials and real-world tests over the past year. In the U.S., T-Mobile has been doing the same, and at the end of 2016 released a video demonstrating the technology on an unreleased prototype phone. Could that be ZTE’s Gigabit Phone? ZTE and T-Mobile have worked together for some time, so another mutually beneficial partnership may make the most sense.

Gigabit mobile connectivity speeds are being viewed as a crucial early step towards 5G, which is still many years away from wide public use. ZTE’s Gigabit Phone, and the networks supporting it, will give us a taste of what it’ll feel like to have Google Fiber-like speeds on the move. Or as so hypothesized.

unfortunately there is no further information regarding specifications or even what the Gigabit Phone will look like. You’ll have to wait until the official unveiling in Barcelona, Spain, at the end of February. Things are kept topsecret here.  ;-)

Other ZTE offerings?

The Gigabit Phone won’t be the only new smartphone unveiled by ZTE, though, as the company said there will be more additions to its Blade series.

We will likely learn more about ZTE’s Hawkeye project as well, which looked to crowd-source ideas for a smartphone and fund it via Kickstarter. The project has hit a few roadblocks but it is still being developed.  .

Rumors suggest that the company is building an Android Wear smartwatch with LTE connectivity,  The ZTE Quartz. It’s rumored to arrive later this year.

Pretty exciting news. 

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• kumatora0203kumatora0203 Danvers, MAPosts: 262 ✭✭

I had started a mini thread in other products about this, but you went more into detail. What I think about it is while years from now it would be good, it's too early right now and I would rather Zte put more effort into support for other phones, and new phones that have great features and specs for a good price (like the axon 7)

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,217 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

At the moment, i don't think I really care about gigabit/5G connectivity, as it will take a long time for it to be widespread use in the US, similar to how 4G LTE was. The cellular network speeds with 4G LTE is already fast enough and don't see the need for faster speed on phones at the moment, maybe for smart cars and other smart connected devices that might need the higher network speed to communicate with each other... Another problem is, one might consume data even faster and at the moment, the cellular network providers in the US is still expensive and not truly unlimited data.

Watch 5g in the usa will be like 2-3x the cost of 4g now. Zte just make phones that are good in the moment now and have better support on what phones you already have out.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,217 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Well, ZTE is actually more of a network company if I remember correctly as opposed to being a phone manufacturer. They are one of the larger network equipment supplier and that is one of their main and big business as compared to the smartphone. I would think that ZTE is making more money on network equipment when compared to smartphones they're currently selling. 

I meant just phone wise and not the company as a whole. Networking being there big business is great, but when you make smartphones, I think they should also support your smartphones more than what is now.

• razor512razor512 United States Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It is important to push technology forward, without it we end up with the issues we face now for many wired home networks where the vast majority of users are stuck on 1GbE. 10GbE does not cost much more to implement, but many companies are reluctant to bring 10GbE down to the consumer level to replace 1GbE fully, as the first company to do it, will not see widespread adoption until other networking devices also adopt it, but once one company does it, you will see the rest of the market implement it within a year or so, but because no one wants to take the first step to not price gouge on 10GbE, everyone in the mainstream is still stuck with on a 18 year old networking interface.

As I have mentioned in the past, innovations in networking, allows for other innovations to take place. No one would have tried to develop a service like Netflix when everyone was stuck on dial-up. No one would have would have tried to have a single system run multiple virtual machines if we were still using insanely slow systems running 1kilobit of RAM from the late 50's.

Overall, if major improvements happen on the capabilities of our devices and networking technologies, then new innovations which can take advantage of those capabilities will spring up. If the platform does not improve, then everyone will be stuck in a state of stagnation, or unexciting improvements where each year we see basic claims of things being 5% faster, or some other incremental change, but the way we use our devices, or the things we do, does not change.

To bring in new innovation, a large enough improvement to allow for truly new innovation must take place.

you're correct, but idk just some feeling in me just doesn't care atm. I hope this becomes great for phones and connectivity in general. i think the response would be different if Zte didn't cancel the hawkeye and if less people were having issues with nougat

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Very well said sir!

• mi_lionmi_lion Posts: 92 ✭✭✭✭

For US to experience fast internet or cell networks Greedy Corporations must first find way to clean your wallet to have only a tiny taste of what even 3rd world countries take for granted! USA cellular LTE speeds collected by Open Signal data from around world listed USA as # 55 sitting between Russia and Argentina with average speed of 10Mbps.

Fastest LTE countries (2016 Data): >Singapore,> New Zealand, >Hungary,> Israel, >S. Korea.

Broadband and Fiber.....look how Comcast assassinated attempts of Google Fiber roll out. And to dream of Government support of improving infrastructure of Internet or Cell technology? That would be anti-American to dream of. Only thing Govt support is taking lobby money from Giant Corporations allowing them to further  fleece the public.

• beenwaitingforthisbeenwaitingforthis Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sony's new Xperia XZ Premium already has gigabit connectivity, so it sounds like ZTE is just hyping something that everyone will have soon (and trying to make up for one of the A7's greatest weaknesses).

• razor512razor512 United States Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It all depends on which hardware is being used. Are they using 5G, or are they using Gigabit LTE as found in the snapdragon 835, which does not mean much, since since it is a theoretical max that will likely be impossible to hit in the real world. For example, how many people have an AC1900 router which can supposedly connect to the 5GHz band at 1300Mbps using a 3 stream WiFi adapter, but when actually done, you at best get around 600-700Mbps?

5G has a far higher theoretical max, thus it is possible to hit 1Gbit more easily, though 5G will not work as well indoors, due to the higher frequencies having trouble going through walls.

Beyond that, even if we moved to 5G today, we would likely not see any performance improvements, as cell providers lack the network capacity to properly service the customers they have.

For a while now, LTE has supported up to 600Mbps, how many people here can say they reached even half of those speeds regardless of which tower they walked up to?

Beyond that, it is still good to push the capabilities of the endpoints, as it means that companies will be more likely to invest in upgrades if it is a sure thing that people will begin using it immediately. No one would have tried to develop a service like netflix streaming in the late 80's as it would require tons of R&D and no one would be able to use it. Overall, the capability has to be there for new innovations to make use of it, we just need changes in the market to allow for better competition so that prices can come down, and service can improve.