Nougat Issues - Not just us

Comments

• Thanks.  Nice read.

• mousemouse Posts: 85 ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually did the cache wipe twice and it changed very little. Phone still felt slow and lagged a lot. I needed apps like whatsapp and linkedIn to work properly, so I resorted to doing the FDR. I did the one that wiped the entire system (yes all data). I am running a fully (well mostly) stock Axon 7.

The FDR made the phone quite snappy and I liked that. However, the aforementioned apps still have issues with lag. Whatsapp for me now performs OK in ALL functions except the use of the in-app camera. I have been playing with my settings to see if any changes will make this app smoother but to no avail.

• kumatora0203kumatora0203 Danvers, MAPosts: 262 ✭✭

When I updated it was laggt at first, but when trying to use daydream vr with my poetic case on (doesn't work, case is too fat) it kept rebooting and then it magically went faster and no more issues now

• ooklathemokooklathemok Posts: 282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe ZTE should just scrap MiFavor and give us stock UI/OS when Android Oreo comes out. I really want to stay loyal to ZTE, but they're practically begging me to leave.

I agree that they should, but I don think it will happen ;(

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,630 mod

I have 2 Axon 7 phones here, one I FDR, and the other I left alone. Both are working great. I think after a couple reboots the update sorts itself out. I would not recommend  FDR as a first course of action.  It may very well fix your issue, however it is drastic, and you may find that just using your device, and a couple reboots many things just work... Nougat is being quirky on most devices initially it seems.

• pazdiegopazdiego Posts: 15 ✭✭✭✭

For a temporary fix on whatsapp, use the in app camera, and quick switch to another app (recent button, double tap) and return to whatsapp, problem solved until the arrive of the 7.1.1 update. ( I hope so)

I don't think it will happen, either. But... and please don't ask for a link... I did hear there was some consideration of ZTE filling the gap left by the Nexus line departure, with ZTE producing stock (or near-stock) mid-range phones that would receive fast updates and two years of OS support.

I always forget to reboot my phone.

That would be great, but I wont get my hopes up.

• ryantek954ryantek954 Ft. Lauderdale, FLPosts: 51 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the do stock Android, now you are talking my language.

• ryantek954ryantek954 Ft. Lauderdale, FLPosts: 51 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am just wondering, if they will be able to catch all (or the most ) annoying bugs when they decide to release 7.1. Because from what I see they release 7.0 under prematurely and under pressure from the promises they made early on 2016.

• scott779scott779 Posts: 140 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've read since August '16 that every mfgr and carrier were rushed to get Nougat out.

I've read that pretty much every phone has issue of 1 kind or another.

Not sure why they did this?

It seems kind of like what "Vista" was to the PC.

I'm guessing that the reason is... it probably has a super deeply buried spying algorithm in it for the Illuminati and Aliens to spy on us.

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,630 mod

All MFGR felt heat to get Nougat out there asap, and yes it is quirky. I don't see it as any didn't than any other OS or update though. We consumers want what we want, and now. I am comfortable with my Axon7, and Nougat,  and I would definitely rather be waiting for ZTE to fix a few bugs, then waiting on another company.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just wish Android had better diagnostic tools than logcat.  Resorting to wiping, reinstalling, and restarting are OK answers for simple embedded operating systems, however Android is a full-blown Linux distro.  Heck, major Linux distros don't even use SELinux.  Google and the Android Open Source Project have a major opportunity to fund and contribute some open source diagnostic tools at the OS and application layers of Android and Linux.

• Guess I will stick with marshmallow until oreo.  A7 will get oreo right?  Don't let me down ZTE.

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

"Trust no one."

Good point about Vista. I remember THAT well.

Actually, I doubt it will be Oreo. Since Oreo is a brand name, they'd have to do another licensing deal like they did with Kit Kat - and while that was cute, I don't think it proved to be worth the time, effort, or expense. My best guess is it will be "orangesicle"... with "orange sherbert" as an outside possibility.

With Nexus being abandoned in favor of Pixel, I think you're going to find Google doesn't have as much interest in optimizing AOSP. I think OEMs are going to be getting not quite ready for prime time updates while Google focuses on their own Pixel tweeks, and OEMs will be on their own to walk back the bugs and iron out the wrinkles. When Pixel made a profit, dreams of stock died. "Stock" will probably now be almost half baked, so running stock won't even guarantee fast updates... but I agree, the less "skin" the better and would still be easier/faster to update.

• stanthemanstantheman Posts: 293 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Google need to STOP making a new OS every year! What is the point when the vast majority of phones are on an older version for most of the next year anyway? A new/updated OS does nothing but introduce more bugs and quirks and useless stuff that makes our indispensable communication devices broken, worthless paper weights! This is no longer a "fun" hobby! These expensive phones are NOT toys! They have become a vital tool for millions of people who have no other means to even make a phone call when necessary. We can no longer risk an update that may render this vital tool useless! Besides, it's not like they are selling the OS so why keep making a new one? JUST FIX THE ONE WE HAVE AND LEAVE IT ALONE! I feel that the only time a new OS works half way decently is when it's installed on a new phone from the factory. After that the only updates should be security updates. If you must have the latest OS then you should be required to buy a new phone...which everyone does every year or so anyway.

• alanhoustonalanhouston Posts: 666 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Less than 3% of Android phones run Nougat, about 1% of all smartphones, including the Apple world.  If I was an app developer, say for the Bank of America app, I would not be putting much time into debugging an app used by only 1% of bank customers.

A year from now, 20% of smartphone owners will be using Nougat and every app developer will need to ensure their apps run smoothly on Nougat.

• alanhoustonalanhouston Posts: 666 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Stan is right, but Google is what it is.  Google could keep Nougat for three years, polishing it until it is perfect.  Every month, each phone would get a security update and bug fixes. Every Android phone in the world could be running Nougat. App developers could perfect bug free Nougat apps.

Then, in August 2019, Google could update every Android phone to Oreo.

But, then Android would be Apple, not Andoid. And Android is 10 companies building phones with 10 flavors of Android, driving app developers nuts.