Voice control feature or gimmick?

rikkkurdrikkkurd United statesPosts: 318 ✭✭

The voice control feature that ZTE baked into the phone's Android 6.0 OS. allows you to launch the camera from the phone's home screen just by saying a trigger phrase, such as "Open Camera," and switching to the front shooter by saying "Switch." or change the volume or stop or play music in the stock music app.

Is this a gimmick or a feature you would use? if so please explain how you envision using it in your daily life.

Comments

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,454 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I am old school I will just launch it by opening the camera icon.

• fzrrichfzrrich United States Posts: 4,191 mod

I think I would most likely use it but won't know till I have the phone in hand. Seems like a good idea though.

• ddrakeddrake Alpharetta, GAPosts: 318 ✭✭✭

I like voice operated controls.  Sign me up.

• Personally, I like voice controls.  It would be nice to have the option to be able to control a smartphone entirely by voice commands.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I personally don't like voice controls. I rarely use Siri or Google Now. I feel weird talking to my phone lol

• rikkkurdrikkkurd United statesPosts: 318 ✭✭

What kind of voice actions would you use?

I think a make picture would be very useful, since the axon 7 would be able to pick up voices 8 meters/24 feet away.

just to make group pictures without 10s delay between each picture.

and the audio control, so that when I play music I can just say next song instead of walking to my stereo.

• thlimthlim virginiaPosts: 40

I think it is a really good feature to have; I have a feeling it will become mainstream in a blink of an eye. 'Ok Google' is currently the only voice command I know of, and I love using it. I think having other voice commands such as 'Open Camera' would be a nice start for a new innovative idea. It will have many advantages too. Imagine you find an amazing vehicle, but you only have seconds to take the picture. You quickly take out the phone, and by saying 'Open Camera', you get to the camera app in no time, and snap! Goes the image saved on your smartphone.

• With my Moto G 3rd Gen, using voice commands are very helpful. I can say "OK Google" and then issue whatever command whether it's " Call whoever" or "Find closed Pizza Place" and it works pretty well. I would definitely say it's not a gimmick unless it's really a feature you never use.

It's very convenient when  you are driving and you can just ask your phone something and get some pertinent info as far as weather or navigation. I use it all the time.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,454 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think having the voice controls on uses more battery.

It probably does drain the battery more, but so does leaving bluetooth, gps, wifi on, yet they are all still convenient to have on. If I am ever really concerned about battery life I put my phone in airplane mode lol

Yes definitely, however phones keep getting more efficient with energy so they add functions as soon battery lifetime extends 1 or 2 days. =) And apparently we like it

• jamesjames Pennsylvania, USAPosts: 423

Since I work in my wood shop and typically have my hands filled with tools and the piece I'm working on, voice controls would be more than welcome. Taking photos with the phone on a tripod while I'm holding a piece is very helpful, plus being able to call someone without having to get my phone filthy with sawdust would be a huge plus. Being able to multitask, by working on an order while simultaneously doing research by voice would be a dream come true.

This sounds good as well

• 2pointdooj2pointdooj Morocco, OujdaPosts: 590 ✭✭✭✭

I find it helpful.