Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

{Axon 7} Earphones... How Do You Use Them? Chance To Win a $25 Gift Card!

yindanyindan Posts: 58 ✭✭✭✭✭

Consumer Labs would like to invite current Axon 7 users to share their experiences and usage scenarios with earphones, earbuds or other headsets that are used with the Axon 7

1. In what scenarios do you usually use earphones with your Axon 7? ( For example listening to music, radio, videos, game play etc. )
  2. When/Where do you usually use earphone on your Axon 7 ? ( For example, working out, at home, driving etc. )
  3. Have you purchased other earphones other than those that came with your Axon 7? Are they Bluetooth compatible or wired? What brand are they?
  4. Would you consider pay additional money to purchase higher quality earphones? How much additional money would you be willing to spend?
  5. When you listen music, do you prefer high-quality file formats? ( for example lossless content, 320kbps、44.1kHZ、24Bit,ape/wave/flac format etc) Where do you tend to download your music from?

There are no right or wrong answers in this survey... please feel free to share your experiences and some photos with us. You may even have a chance to win a $25 Gift Card*.

*Gift card incentives are only available for US members.

Comments

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,618 mod

1. Youtube mostly. I'll watch a quick review or something like that. I really don't like listening to music through headphone if I don't have too.

2. I don't personally use headphones or earbuds often. I really hate being in public, and not being fully aware of my surroundings. Once in a while, I will use them on the couch if everyone is watching tv, and I don't want to bother anyone.

3. Nope, I have a pile of headphones, and earbuds that go un-used. The ones that came with the Axon7 are perfect for what I would need, and saw no point buying any. I think the included ones actually sound pretty good.

4. Nope, see response #3

5. I usually just pull up youtube, or vevo. I used to download MP3s but don't bother much anymore.

• mi_lionmi_lion Posts: 92 ✭✭✭✭

(1) I use my earbuds for listening mainly to music, YouTube, and to prevent distraction from others ( I like my music LOUD!)

(2) I listen to music almost every day when at home, walking, cooking, relaxing....but never in car with earbuds as that very dangerous/distracting!

(3-4)Currently I use Xiaomi Pro (by "One More Design") Hi-Resolution earbuds and am extremely happy. And for money... nothing I have tried can hold a candle to them. I feel no reason to pay more than MI-Pro HD earbuds....very satisfied with sound.

I tried a JBL Bluetooth earbuds in Shenzhen store last Fall and was amazed by the quality and could have bought for 311 Yuan ($45.00 US) should have, but didn't....and I can not find same ones for sale anywhere!

So even with wires....the Mi Pro buds are my favorite!

I have not opened the Axon 7 earbuds as they are not of design to securely fit the ear canal (providing better fuller bass) and remain in ear when active, i.e., running etc.

(5)

All of my music is downloaded in Flac, Ape high quality format. Firm believer of "quality in=quality out!"

My 2nd phone a Xiaomi Mi Note LTE with dedicated DAC chip produces very similar sound as Axon (which is exceptional  quality) to Axon 7. One of my 2 reasons for purchasing this (Axon 7 phone ) was to have great audio experience, utilize USA 4G LTE cellular bands. Compared to Xiaomi, the Axon sound is close to a tie (even with Dolby Atmos....the edge going to Xiaomi as it optimizes choices of headset for tailored sound missing from Axon. I have not opened the included earbuds with Axon 7 as they not fit ear canal securely when active like the Mi Pro buds do.

My only complaint is the input/output level of the audio over car Bluetooth is very low compared to Xiaomi in same car with same music/songs...not close to levels outputting into headphone/earbuds.

Thanks ZTE for producing a quality music machine for music lovers and a quality phone!

• yindanyindan Posts: 58 ✭✭✭✭✭

We are so glad to know that you like the quality of Axon 7 . Thank you for sharing your experiences to us. 

• benjaminsun42@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 13 ✭✭✭✭

1. I use earbuds mainly when I can't use the ff speakers as I enjoy those when I can.  Having said that music YouTube and Amazon prime are great on earbuds or headphones on axon 7

2 mainly at home or at Starbucks library or gym

3. Yes I have a pair of Jbl wired earbuds  I use when my ZTE buds are at home

4. Depends on type and value proposition but I'd consider it as I'm a audiophile

5 highest quality lossless has my vote I use Google music and iTunes.

When buying any entertainment device sound is very important to me.  I have a set of 7.1 speakers in a small bedroom even though my TV has built in 4 speaker sound.i bought the axon 7 despite having the option to buy a s7 edge precisely because of the dual ff  speakers and Dolby atmos support.  The 64gb helped the. Hardware processor ram etc helped daydream support helped the price helped but the sound out of the speakers and earbuds are why I'm on my second axon 7 regardless of the price

• austin45austin45 United StatesPosts: 192 ✭✭✭✭✭

1. I use headphones for music and for watching videos. 

2. I use headphones while working out, at home and at night when I don't want to bother the rest of the people in my household.

3. I use a pair of JBL wired headphones. They were cheap and had amazing reviews. The sound is crisp and clear with deep bass. I don't currently use wireless headphones because I still feel that the quality isn't quite there compared to wired.

4. There are some really good cheap headphones in the market. Because of this I most likely would never pay more then $60 dollars for a pair of wired headphones. And no more than $120 dollars for wireless headphones

5. I do listen to lossless content. I use tidal for most of my music needs.

• kumatora0203kumatora0203 Danvers, MAPosts: 262 ✭✭
    yindan wrote:

Consumer Labs would like to invite current Axon 7 users to share their experiences and usage scenarios with earphones, earbuds or other headsets that are used with the Axon 7

1. In what scenarios do you usually use earphones with your Axon 7? ( For example listening to music, radio, videos, game play etc. )
    2. When/Where do you usually use earphone on your Axon 7 ? ( For example, working out, at home, driving etc. )
    3. Have you purchased other earphones other than those that came with your Axon 7? Are they Bluetooth compatible or wired? What brand are they?
    4. Would you consider pay additional money to purchase higher quality earphones? How much additional money would you be willing to spend?
    5. When you listen music, do you prefer high-quality file formats? ( for example lossless content, 320kbps、44.1kHZ、24Bit,ape/wave/flac format etc) Where do you tend to download your music from?

There are no right or wrong answers in this survey... please feel free to share your experiences and some photos with us. You may even have a chance to win a $25 Gift Card*.

*Gift card incentives are only available for US members.

As someone who is half audiophile half bass head and loves audio in general I feel like I need to respond.

1 I use my earbuds for pretty much everything, music, videos, games if I am playing one, and hell sometimes to sleep.

2 everywhere

3 I don't really use the axon 7 earbuds they come with, although they aren't terrible I just like my stuff better. I use the Sony mdr xb90ex as my daily driver, but I also have the Sony mdr 7550/ex800st. In the past I tried the Shure se215 but i had the cable defect and never wanted to try another pair.

4 Depends on how they sound, how much they isolate, and how they compare to other iem/earbuds. But if it suits me I will spend good money one them.

5 personally I'm not the person who says flac is so much better than just regular files, so I just use whatever source Is easiest and on my axon 7 I use google play music.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

1) Listening to music mostly.

2) At school or at home (when cleaning).

3) Yes; used a Sony BT headphone, had no problems with that. Also tried using USB-C earphones from LeEco and those seem to work with the Axon 7.

4) Yes; if they do sound better, I would considering spending about $50 or so, but if it is bundled, it would be more awesome

5) Not 100% sure on my formats, as some of my musics are 320kbps or 192kbps... I do listen to music from YouTube, Google Play, iTunes, and Spotify.

• 1.) I use earbuds or in this case my audio technica m50x's to listen to music and watch videos

2.) I use earbuds or headphones at school or when I go out somewhere

3.) I had the m50x's before, but no i haven't purchased any headphones or earbuds yet

4.) Max I would spend about $50 on earbuds, but if they come with future phones like the original Axon with the JBL earbuds, that would be amazing

5.) When I listen to music I use mp3 files I downloaded from youtube or websites, I don't have FLACS yet

• saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

In what scenarios do you usually use earphones with your Axon 7? ( For example listening to music, radio, videos, game play etc. )

I use wired earphones/headphones when listening to music at home doing chores ie laundry, dishes, etc. Wired earphones are used outdoors when my Bluetooth headphones have lost power.

Have you purchased other earphones other than those that came with your Axon 7? Are they Bluetooth compatible or wired? What brand are they?

Since purchasing my Axon 7, I received the N-Pulse wired headphones from Newegg. I also purchased 2 Bluetooth headphones: Parrot Zik 3 and Sony H.ear On MDR-100.

Would you consider pay additional money to purchase higher quality earphones? How much additional money would you be willing to spend?

Yes, I'm on the fence on whether to purchase the Senheiser HD-598 or the ATH- M50x. The max I would spend on wired audiophile/ professional head/earphones would be $150.

When you listen music, do you prefer high-quality file formats? ( for example lossless content, 320kbps??44.1kHZ??24Bit??ape/wave/flac format etc) Where do you tend to download your music from?

I stream music from Play Music and the Youtube Music app. Before, using Bluetooth speakers and headphones, I would focus on getting lossless flac files. Now I content myself with 320kbps.I don't stream music through Soundcloud and Pandora because they cap their streams at 192kbps. Once I get either headphones mentioned above I will try out Tidal's high fidelity service.

• scrubs9901scrubs9901 Posts: 3 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I'm the chief user experience engineer of ZTE,thank you very much for your recognition of our product, your sharing will help us to understand your request better, and we will continue to provide you guys smartphones with excellent audio experience. Thank you again.

• bjhiltbrandbjhiltbrand United StatesPosts: 159 ✭✭✭✭✭

In what scenarios do you usually use earphones with your Axon 7? ( For example listening to music, radio, videos, game play etc. )

I listen to music mostly. Occassionaly, I use them when watching movies and playing games (mostly so as to not annoy other people).

When/Where do you usually use earphone on your Axon 7 ? ( For example, working out, at home, driving etc. )

I use my headphones every day all day at work. It allows me to focus and block out distractions. I also like to use them when playing with daydream, as it gives me a more immersive experience. I use them while mowing the lawn (once a week), although I switched that out for snow-blowing for the last 5 months (ugh... I am so sick of winter). I also use them while running and sometimes while driving on long trips with my family (sometimes, I just want to rock out to harder stuff than "wheels on the bus").

Have you purchased other earphones other than those that came with your Axon 7? Are they Bluetooth compatible or wired? What brand are they?

When I got my Axon 7, I (like most others) got it as part of a bundle where it shipped with a pair of Monster N-Pulse headphones. I also have a set of Beats Earbuds from the HTC Rezound I bought years ago, as well as a couple pairs of Shure earbuds. All of them are wired and I use them all interchangeably. The N-Pulse headphones are used while at work, while the Shure and Beats earbuds are used for most everything else. I haven't even opened the earbuds that came with the phone, as in my experience, earbuds that come with phones are far inferior. Without a way to effectively seal off the ear canal, it's nearly impossible to get decent base response, so I don't even bother with headphones and earbuds that don't.

Would you consider pay additional money to purchase higher quality earphones? How much additional money would you be willing to spend?

Yes, if they did a good job sealing off the ear canal, were comfortable, and did a good job staying in the ear, I would consider buying higher quality ones. If they were wired, I would consider spending 10 to 20 dollars more for them, whereas if they were bluetooth and wireless, I would consider spending up to 50 dollars on them.

When you listen music, do you prefer high-quality file formats? ( for example lossless content, 320kbps、44.1kHZ、24Bit,ape/wave/flac format etc) Where do you tend to download your music from?

I do prefer high-quality formats, but I'm not too picky. Usually, .flac audio files, but I will do .mp3 (I know it's lossy, sometimes you don't have a choice) at 320kbps. I mostly stream my own library from Google Play Music and tend to download from anywhere that isn't overly obsessed with DRM protections.

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,220 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

i use my earphone to listen to music stored on the phone, streaming internet radio and occasionally for watching movies.

1. When/Where do you usually use earphone on your Axon 7 ? ( For example, working out, at home, driving etc. )

I use earphone while working, working out, walking, and relaxing

1. Have you purchased other earphones other than those that came with your Axon 7? Are they Bluetooth compatible or wired? What brand are they?

yep, got a couple of wired and wireless headphone. I have beats studio wireless, also got plantronic bt wireless headphon, and a couple of cheap wired earbuds.

1. Would you consider pay additional money to purchase higher quality earphones? How much additional money would you be willing to spend?

yes but it all depends on how much and what it has to offer.

1. When you listen music, do you prefer high-quality file formats? ( for example lossless content, 320kbps、44.1kHZ、24Bit,ape/wave/flac format etc) Where do you tend to download your music from?

it depends. for casual listening, I do not care about the audio quality as much. As long as it is decent, it does not have to be lossless but probably would prefer higher bitrate. i have most of my music in mp3 format just for the convinience of carrying large collection of music.

• robbie1robbie1 Virginia, U.S.A.Posts: 94 ✭✭

1. I mainly use earphones for music, and once in a while for movies and videos.

2. I mainly use earphones at home.

3. I have closed ear bluetooth headphones by Ghostek and also use closed-ear headphones by Monster, Sennheiser and Sony.

4. Possibly, but I already have 6 pair of headphones and several sets of earbuds. They would have to be truly outstanding to consider purchasing any more at this point.

5. My collection of several thousand CDs is on my computer and external harddrives as .flac files. I periodically download specific songs in that format to my axon 7's SD card. I also have an .mp3 collection that I also download specific songs from.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    1. First off, I want to mention that all of my earbuds, headphones, etc are currently Bluetooth, I have said goodbye to the cords for good.  I mainly use them to listen to music (both local on SD card and streaming from Spotify), some YouTube videos, and watching streaming video from the Kodi App.
    2. I mainly use them working out.  I run 25-30 miles a week and ALWAYS have music with me.  Other than that I do stream some sporting events when my wife claims the TV for her own
    3. Yes.  I cannot stand the "pod" type earbuds that came with the device. I have purchased LeEco Leme EB20s and Beats Powerbeats2.
    4. Yes, if it's a separate purchase from the phone, or bundled. I might want to buy more than one, or one for my old device or as a gift.  I don't need earbuds bundled with the device.
    5. Most of my music collection is standard .mp3 format, sampled at 192. If streaming i choose low quality.  At my age my ears can no longer tell the difference between high quality and CD quality anymore.
  • hgelpkehgelpke Posts: 19 ✭✭✭✭

Don't typically use earbuds but when I do I like the option of having 3rd party choices.

I like bluetooth but prefer the audio quality of wired especially when playing back FLAC, etc.

• throestylethroestyle Posts: 83 ✭✭✭✭

1. I use my earphones for only 2 purpose. The first purpose I wear headphones is when I workout (gym, running, snowboarding). The second scenarios is when I am at work and I will listen to a Podcast on Pocketcasts.

2. Working out, working from desk, snowboarding.

3. Currently use the earphones's  that came with my Axon 7.

4. No need to upgrade my stock headphones. I would not pay for more than $29.

5. High -quality file formats is my preference. I manly use Spotify, Youtube, and Pocketcasts.

• frozenstufffrozenstuff Posts: 58 ✭✭✭✭✭

1. Music, podcasts, gaming, and YouTube videos. I'd say almost everything.

2. In public, walking from class to class or on public transportation

3. I use wired Phillips headphones and I used to use Aukey Bluetooth headphones I believe but I thought Bluetooth Headphones were too much of a hassle

4. Yes, I've paid an upwards of $60 and probably wouldn't go higher

5. All of my music comes exclusively from Google Play Music streaming on the high quality setting. Not sure what bit rate that is.

• marvin.ta@gmail.com[email protected] JapanPosts: 47 ✭✭✭✭
    1. In what scenarios do you usually use earphones with your Axon 7?

I generally use it for music,podcasts. on occasion Youtube or Movies.

2. When/Where do you usually use earphone on your Axon 7 ?

During my commute to work on the train and while I got running.

I use the Samsung Level Bluetooth headphones I got from B&N as preorder gift. Sometimes some Marsboy bluetooth sports headphones

Mid-range price 50 to 80 dollars for Top end specs like ZTE trying to do with AXON

Yes. Spotify, Youtube, usually.

• td76td76 Posts: 7 ✭✭✭

1: Typically I would use ear-buds for music, as videos and such I'll usually just use the phone's speakers. I s'pose there are certain types of videos I might want to use the headphones/buds for though...

2: I do not use them often, but sometimes at work... or when I'm sitting around waiting for someone. Other times might be when I'm just lounging around at home and in a room that I do not have an audio system.

3: I have not purchased others, as I really do not use them often enough - although I would consider purchasing better ones. I would probably get wired so that I do not have to worry about charging anything and I trust wires better when it comes to audio fidelity. Bluetooth would be nice if I could verify first that there is no audible loss in fidelity.

4: Yes, I would certainly spend more for higher quality headphones. I used to be a headphone nut back in the day, spending far too much on my quest of the ultimate headphone, and being probably overly too picky over both the sound and build quality. These days, when it comes to use with the phone exclusively, I probably wouldn't pay more than an additional $50 (and less, the better). My phone is not my primary music-player by any means, but I am happy that this phone does have a good quality output DAC.

5: I always prefer lossless, if available. Usually I will download/purchase music in .WAV, but sometimes will convert to FLAC or OGG to save some space, dependent on the situation or device. Music is usually obtained either from personal CDs that I ripped to my PC, through sites like BandCamp / Amazon, or from torrent sites for the harder to find stuff.

**Additional info: The ear-buds that come with the Axon 7 I find to be rather uncomfortable due to how hard they are and I cannot get them to stay in my ear. Having an ear-bud with replaceable sized cushions would probably make for better compatibility with different ear sizes/shapes, plus better for sealing to the ear canal. For example, another phone I've used in the past, the Alcatel OneTouch Idol 3 came with nice ear-buds from JBL with different sized rubber cushions - those were actually rather pleasing to use (both in comfort, security in the ear, and over-all in sound (considering a freebie). I also find that the stock Axon 7 earbuds to be far too mid-scooped in response. They have big bottom end, but they sacrifice far too much mids (where the bulk of musical information lies) and the high end is even fairly mellow. So far too "Hi-Fi" for my tastes. I understand to a degree why products are designed this way, as most non-audiophiles tend to like the "smiley face" EQ curve, but I'd rather have headphones be able to reproduce audio the way you want it to sound. For example, a good headphone used with whichever type of EQ you like will yield more desired results (reducing frequencies you do not want with an EQ is easier than trying to replace frequencies that aren't there... cutting/reduction in an EQ is always preferred over boosting) . Having a scooped-mid headphone on-top of an EQ'd track can be an aural-nightmare.

Thanks for the opportunity to answer some questions. Besides the stock earphones, I love my Axon 7 (particularly so after the latest updates).

• louisdlouisd Arguer in Chief United StatesPosts: 1,167 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

**Listening to music and podcasts and when using Daydream

1. When/Where do you usually use earphone on your Axon 7 ? ( For example, working out, at home, driving etc. )

**At home and on planes and trains

1. Have you purchased other earphones other than those that came with your Axon 7? Are they Bluetooth compatible or wired? What brand are they?

**I have multiple pairs of bluetooth headphones.  I'm using a pair from Taotronics, and Anker pair and some random eBay pair.

1. Would you consider pay additional money to purchase higher quality earphones? How much additional money would you be willing to spend?

**I tend to lose headphones so I'm hesitant to pay too much for them.

1. When you listen music, do you prefer high-quality file formats? ( for example lossless content, 320kbps、44.1kHZ、24Bit,ape/wave/flac format etc) Where do you tend to download your music from?

**I've downloaded music from many sources including Amazon Music and Google Music.  I have a very large library of WAV files from hundreds of CDs that I own.

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,072 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

1. I use them to listen to music, podcasts, watch videos, play games, etc. I would say I do tend to use them the majority of the time for listening to music.

2. Mostly while working out or just walking around during the day. I also use them at home to drown out the rest of the noise in the house.

3. Yes I've purchased 3rd party headphones and honestly never even used the ones that came with the Axon 7. I didn't think they would be better, they didn't look more comfortable, and they were gold even with the gray model, and I just don't like gold. My two go to pairs would be a wired Xiaomi Piston 3 and BT Jaybird Bluebuds X.

4. I honestly think including headphones with a phone is a waste of money. By now we should all have a drawer full of these things. They usually aren't very high quality or comfortable, and you can get a better pair for under $20 usually. Even if a phone had the option to come with higher quality headphones for more money I would pass on it. I'd rather choose from the variety of headphones that exist out there instead of being locked into whatever the OEM chose or who they made a deal with.

5. I do like high quality audio but because of size constraints I stick with high bit rate MP3s. I either rip CDs I own or purchase from Amazon or Google Play Music.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,827 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

1.  Listening to music and podcasts

2.  When I am doing yardwork, or not wanting to blast music/podcasts down the hall to my co-workers.

3.  Yes, I own a set of Honor headphones and a Bluetooth pair by Leme

4.  Yes.  $25

5.  I have no quality preference for the stuff I listen to since it's mostly whatever quality Spotify or my Podcast app (FM Player) provides

• 1. Whenever I use Axon 7 I use earphones. When I have free time I listen to music, podcasts, watch videos in earphones. And I prefer make calls using a headset.

2. When I am doing sport exercises, getting to work on a public transport, having a free time and want to entertain myself.

3. I own old Sony MDR -XD200 (use them at home), Xiaomi piston v3 (when making calls), Shure SE215K (when listening to the music, and making exercises). Currently looking for a full sized wired earphones to replace old Sony.

4. Yes, I would prefer paying extra money to get extra quality. How much, it depends on quality from 30$ up to 200$

5. I listen to flac/ape (I prefer 24 bit tracks). Sometimes mp3 but not lower than 320 kbps. I rip myself from CDs, buy in Internet or download from free sources.

May it will be helpful, I use stock player or PowerAmp.

I like my Axon 7, and I bought it specially to enjoy music on a go.

• kevinmcmurtriekevinmcmurtrie Silicon Valley areaPosts: 317 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Music at work, movies and music on airplanes
    2. Work and airplanes
    3. Klipsch Image S4
    4. I would spend about $120 on very good headphones with good durability.  Generally, I think $60 is a better target.
    5. 256 kbps AAC is what I'd consider minimum quality.  For the music I listen too, it squeals and slurs less often than MP3.  My original source is iTunes and CDs.  They usually get to my phone from my home computer using an SCP utility, so high bitrate files tends to be cumbersome.
  • DrakenFXDrakenFX Mobile United StatesPosts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

1. In what scenarios do you usually use earphones with your Axon 7? ( For example listening to music, radio, videos, game play etc.)

A. Listing to music , catching up with TV show or Movie

A. Gym , Work , Home, Airplane , Going for a Walk.

A. JLB Headphones, Bluetooth set by Aikin Sport

A. Yes, if is good quality headphones, i would considered.

A. i don't have a prefer quality, Listen Stream Music and most of my Music format files are lossless and 320kbps, Music from YouTube, Google Play, Old CD's converted to MP3's.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,640 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

1: I use headphones with my Axon 7 when watching videos, especially episodic content (TV shows, etc.). Beyond that, I use headphones when working around the house, listening to music.

2: I use headphones with the Axon 7 when around the house, as well as when outdoors. If out around town, I use a wired pair of headphones, but if I am going to take the subway, I often use my Bluetooth Plantronics BackBeat Go headphones (only really because they effectively double as earplugs), though they are rather annoying when it comes to battery life. It is really not convenient having to charge it.

3: Yes, in the colder weather where I have to wear a coat that needs to be zipped up fully, I will often use a pair of cheap Philips SHS3200BK/37 headphones. They do not sound as good as the ZTE headphones, but the behind the ear hooks, keeps them from falling out.

When around the house, I will often use my Sennheiser HD555 headphones with the Axon 7.

The main times when I do not use the headphones, is if I am around the house listening to a podcast. The speakers do a great job with vocals. I also use it frequently for youtube videos and other shorter form content, since the quality is good, and there are 2 front facing speakers.

4: Assuming I did not have any headphones to start with, I would be willing to spend $150-$200 extra for good headphones, though that requires certain conditions to be made, such as modularity, good build quality, and repariability. Unlike other devices, a good pair of headphones can last decades, and not become obsolete, this makes it easier to justify a higher purchase price. Beyond that, higher end headphones do not need to be included with a smartphone purchase, as many people already have headphones, thus for most people, it will be more effective to have the extra production cost of headphones, put into the phone itself.

5: I prefer higher quality formats, and have no problem loading up a ton of FLAC files, though I wish the stock player would properly index them. The addition of a micro SD card, means that I don't have to be constantly worrying about storage. Even if I am not using the best headphones, it does not mean I need to lower the quality of the source material, or go through the inconvenience of converting my music to a lower quality format when I have enough space to keep the full quality and let the only bottleneck to the quality be whatever headphones I use.

Sadly, not all music is available in a high quality format,thus I use many sources, including amazon, and google play (mainly because programs like the opinion rewards gives free credits for apps and music). Just like how with a camera, people will always want to save the raw, with music, I want to be as close to lossless as possible.

• saxmansaxman Posts: 142

1) I use headphones for music and videos.

2) When I work out, I'm almost always listening to music whether I'm jogging or lifting weights. When I'm at home and can't listen to my Adire Audio custom towers, I throw some headphones on.

3) Actually, I never even tried the buds that came with the phone. When I workout I generally use my Kinvivo Bluetooth headphones. For home or riding in a vehicle, I recently got some nice wired Marshall over the ear headphones from Costco. I'm starting to like them more than my old Denon headphones that have incredible sound quality. Both have amazingly full range without being unnaturally boomy in the lower frequencies like so many headphones. I am amazed how deep the Marshall headphones get without being muddy. It's just deep, articulate bass with crystal clear, evenly balanced midrange and highs.

4) I don't think I have ever spent more than $50 for a pair of headphones. The Bluetooth ones were around $30 I believe. I would spend $30-40 for a high quality set of Bluetooth headphones.

Requirements would be a design that doesn't impede workouts (both lifting weights and running), high quality, accurate sound (not over equalized, over compensated sound), and long battery (at least 6-8 hours a charge). I've never found bluetooth buds that stay in for running. They need to have a band that goes over the ears to stay in place at minimum. A full band that goes behind the head like my Kinvivos works very good for exercise.

5) I prefer high quality lossless sound. In fact, that's why I began using Tidal music a while ago. I can't stand compressed MP3 sound. You lose so much detail. I am a musician and a audiophile. I demand high quality recordings and high quality speakers when I listen to music. I competed in car stereo competitions in my younger years and got to hear many high quality setups. I ran some high end Morel 3 way components in custom kick panels I made being powered by a tube amp. This was while I was also competing in SPL hitting nearly 160 decibels on the dash (not sitting in the car while that's playing ).

I won't deny it. I've been known to be an audio snob.

• saxmansaxman Posts: 142

Tidal is awesome. I highly recommend it. You do have to pay for the premium service to get the lossless audio quality, but I think it's worth it. I do get a discount for my work, but it's a decent deal at full price considering the amazingly large library of music. Not all is available in lossless, but most of what I have listened to/downloaded has been available in lossless. There are a couple songs I couldn't find, but I've found several hard to find songs/albums that surprised me.

As a musician myself, I found it troubling how little Spotify reimburses artists for their music. Some artists have pulled their music as a result. Musicians make a huge chunk on their tours and don't get much from record sales once all the parties get a cut (producers/managers/record label). Nickel and diming the musicians that entertain us even further isn't a great way to ensure the music we all enjoy is around for years to come.

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I still use the ones that came with my Axon Pro.

1. In what scenarios do you usually use earphones with your Axon 7? ( For example listening to music, radio, videos, game play etc. ) Video at work and music from youtube
    2. When/Where do you usually use earphone on your Axon 7 ? ( For example, working out, at home, driving etc. ) Work
    3. Have you purchased other earphones other than those that came with your Axon 7? Are they Bluetooth compatible or wired? What brand are they?  JBL from my Axon 7
    4. Would you consider pay additional money to purchase higher quality earphones? How much additional money would you be willing to spend? 20 bucks
    5. When you listen music, do you prefer high-quality file formats? ( for example lossless content, 320kbps、44.1kHZ、24Bit,ape/wave/flac format etc) Where do you tend to download your music from? MP3, MP4 and wave files. 
  • poohbiwonpoohbiwon USAPosts: 714 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a pair of Bluetooth wireless headphones and a pair of waterproof Bluetooth earbuds. I also use the included ear buds as well as ones that came with my Samsung Galaxy S3 and a cheapie pair I got for $5. 

1. I use the wired earbuds usually when I'm in bed and I don't want to wake the wife with my Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc viewing.
    2. I usually use the Bluetooth headphones to watch online content because it's most convenient for me to stay active and mobile. I just have more freedom of movement with wireless headphones.
    3. I use the Bluetooth earbuds for when I'm running or weightlifting. They stay on more securely than my headphones and I don't have to worry about a wire getting snagged on something as I'm exercising.

This discussion has been closed.