Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation: AR Consumer Research Survey

Welcome to our Beta Lab page. While we currently have a dozen or so private beta tests running, there are no active projects that we're recruiting for.

Check back often for recruiting surveys and screeners for new beta projects.

[GUIDE][UNOFFICIAL][SAFE METHOD] Unlock Bootloader - USA Axon 7 ONLY -

Comments

• I just bought my phone yesterday, and am wanting to unlock and root it. I'm not foreign to this process, but I would like to confirm, before I start.

A. This looks like it should work just fine on Linux, correct? It's pretty much all command line work...

***Edit for clarification:  IF we already have adb able to run, for other reasons

B. No matter which version OS (B19 here) we're on, this will work because we're downgrading right off the bat?

C. Seeing the the OP is dated March 14th, this is absolutely the most current method and instructions?

D. Final question. For unlocking the bootloader and rooting, we JUST need to follow that first post, or do we need to do both the first post and then the second post, or if we're already on B19 and plan on staying on N, just sticking with the second post?

Thank you for these instructions, and your time,

Bear

P.S. would like to talk with you about developing and building for our device. Please contact me when you get some spare time. Hangouts: toothmkr57@g****.com

• DrakenFXDrakenFX Los Angeles, CAPosts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi

Q. This looks like it should work just fine on Linux, correct? It's pretty much all command line work...

***Edit for clarification:  IF we already have adb able to run, for other reasons

A. Yup, if you have adb/fastboot already working on your Linux machine your good to go. This method doesn't use any windows base programs.

B. No matter which version OS (B19 here) we're on, this will work because we're downgrading right off the bat?

A. Yup again.

C. Seeing the the OP is dated March 14th, this is absolutely the most current method and instructions?

A. Yup, Yup

D. Final question. For unlocking the bootloader and rooting, we JUST need to follow that first post, or do we need to do both the first post and then the second post, or if we're already on B19 and plan on staying on N, just sticking with the second post?

A. Because you'll be downgrading back to MM to unlock, after the unlocking and installing TWRP you can jump from B20 (Marshmallow) to B19 (Nougat 7.1.1) using my files from this XDA thread

[ROM/GUIDE] Full Updates / Back to Stock Files via TWRP (A2017U, A2017G, A2017) - Post #2 .

I just recommend to pay close attention to the steps.

• just started and have already run into a snag.  step 3:apply update from sd card and press power.

when i do this, it says

-- Couldn't mount /sdcard.

Installation aborted

can I easily do this through adb?

or is there another way?

Mmmm I see you skip this step

"* Under DEVELOPER OPTIONS ( IMPORTANT STEPS)  - Enable OEM Unlocking ( Needed even if you are lock bootloader )"

Enabling OEM Unlocking is required to be able to use " apply update via SDcard" in stock recovery.

You can use "sideload", but installation will take longer than install from SDCard.

• ohh, do we need to boot back into the system after each flash?  because i had set that, but after the factory reset, that would be unchecked.

For some Reasons it varies per device (don't quote me why ) but I have done everything without booting to system,

Install zip > boot to Bootloader > Boot to recovery from Bootloader > Install other zip and so on til I'm done with what I want.

• Any thoughts on why neither abd nor fastboot are recognizing or finding my phone after step 4 and during step 6?

basically i flashed the 3 files in the order described, rebooting recovery mode between each. Then moved to step 6 fastboot oem unlock, and nothing, command prompt advises that it's <waiting for any device>. so I tried a number of things... adb devices, to check if it is connected, and no it doesn't look like it is, as in no serial number is showing up. so i booted into system, went into developer options, Oem unlock was already turned on, but usb debugging was not. turned it on, and reconnected to adb, rebooted bootloader, and agian back to not being recognized, and <waiting for any device>

don't know where to go from here?

You are using Linux right?

Try his :

sudo fastboot oem unlock

That should work. Using Linux base OS you need to " sudo " with fastboot commands otherwise won't allow you do anything else.

• I'm shaking my head at myself..... I knew that. Thank you for pulling me out of my haze!

• I'm confused. I know you need twrp for lineageOS, but do you need root for lineageOS?

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

No you do not need root to install Lineage. One of my A7 's has Lineage installed and is not rooted. You just have to unlock bootloader to install Lineage.

• I heard that they fixed the audio problem on lineageos, is that true? Also, is there any way to unlock the bootloader without an sd card?

I've heard that the audio is fixed also but currently I'm not able to successfully install the newer builds. I don't think that you can unlock the bootloader without an SD card but I'm not positive.

• , I've got a few questions

1. If you've got b19, do you have to install b29, or can you go straight to b20?

2. After you install twrp, is it necessary to install b15 nougat if you aren't planning on using mifavor because I want to install lineage is?

3. What is "no-verity-opt-encrypt-5.1.zip" used for?

4. Can I replace step 6 (installing b15 nougat) with lineage is?

Thanks

• This often gets overlooked, so I'm providing sha256 checksums for people who look for such a thing:

690da70e769d560ac7a53dcbc71ac016068f4abdd42d77a88f57feed9e564329  A2017UB20Fastboot_ssl_MoveToSDCard.zip

39dd905376cbe635aa1297991485f8c0c23ac24e95e6990302419b39b0e81ff5  A2017UV1.0.0B20_MoveToSDCard.zip

19ca98d7d1060a503bb80efd35a7aed094af6bf542a012c157fe8280389547d5  A2017UV1.0.0B29_MoveToSDCard.zip

fe2486352495e386638a11a17b5232beedd361deedb062434bdac9ce7dbb4533  ADBFastbootTWRP_PC-Package.rar

060903f181bec35c35bf8c9bb517b3ae9b35a9ee4bed375dba3f0249757a4b82  no-verity-opt-encrypt-5.1.zip

92ac914100a7ac20bfaf0871b86c31592d30e6f833edbe7b10355c14cf836b3b  SuperSU-v2.79-201612051815.zip

93de19edbcc352b6d0091aff6473439366a9a575fe6e0e5438390575dec39468  TWRP_A2017UV1.1.0B15Modded_MoveToSDCard.zip

• Thanks @drakenfx, I followed your steps exactly on a Linux machine (with the hint about using sudo with fastboot above), and everything went super smooth!  Great work!

• prozartprozart Back EastPosts: 3

​ First of all, thanks for this guide! I searched for a while on XDA and there's so many different versions depending on which build number you're on, and a lot of the links were dead.

So I downloaded all the files and I was able to successfully flash B29 and then I rebooted to bootloader and then back into recovery. But when I tried to flash B20 it said it was unable to mount SD card. So I booted all the way back into the system and I checked "oem unlocking" again, rebooted to recovery, but it's still saying unable to mount sd card. Any ideas?

Edit: Just as an update, I've tried everything I can find online to no avail. I've tried formatting the card to Fat32, I've tried wiping the data, I've tried installing the update while booted into the ROM under "update".

I've also tried to adb sideload the file but it says "cannot read". So I've tried to troubleshoot that as well by reinstalling drivers, trying to sideload a different file, and editing the adb file to give it a largeaddressawareness flag. I feel like both these errors, not mounting sd card and being unable to sideload, are unrelated problems, but for some reason I can't fix either one. Any help or suggestions on either problem would be appreciated. Right now I'm doing the OTA update to B15 and then I'm going to try going to B29 again, if it'll read the sd card that is. Then hopefully from B29 to B20.

Edit 2: After updating to B15 again I was able to install B29 update from SD card. Rebooted to bootloader and then to recovery and once again I'm unable to mount sd card in order to install B20. This is going to be a long night.

Did the 4/24/17 update include the speakers patch?

• adrbadrb Toronto, CanadaPosts: 693 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does this guide still work for the current A2017U Android 7.1.1 firmware B25 ?

• saxmansaxman Posts: 142

​ I am in desperate need of some help. My phone's stock recovery is gone (won't go to any recovery). When I try to go to EDL mode, my Computer (Windows 7) recognizes that I am plugging the device in. However, neither ADB nor Miflash will recognize the phone. Maybe it's not really in EDL mode? The last thing I did was an OTA update and when the phone restarted to apply the update, the screen was blank and never installed the OTA. If I power on normally, the ZTE logo comes on for a second then screen goes black.

I'm mostly surprised ADB nor MiFlash is not recognizing the phone. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hi ,

Let me this straight, You are no longer be able to boot to recovery or TWRP right? Goes straight to EDL?

HOW TO KNOW if you EDL?

Well connect your device and go to Device Manager and look for " QCOM Ports "

P.S. MiFlash is tricky to get it to work, and ADB won't recognize your phone in EDL Mode.

Correct, I can no longer boot into recovery or TWRP. I can get to the factory bootloader if I wait for the ZTE splash screen then hold both volume buttons for about a second. I then get the boot options screen. Nothing is showing in Device Manager unless I go into test mode from the factor bootloader. Test mode goes to the ZTE - Powered by Android splash screen and stays on that screen. Then windows tries to install the USB MTP driver and fails every time. I have some photos I will try and post. When I do power off from the bootloader screen, the phone goes to the batter symbol white outline with a white lightning bolt but no green or charging percent. This image remains on the screen even if I unplug. I'm guessing this is not a good sign.

I see, at least you are able to boot to such Screen , which you can still recover from.

Send me a PM.

The USB MTP device finished message has popped up a couple times and I restart the computer then the phone tries to once again install the USB MTP and fails. Is my phone majorly bricked at this point and will probably need to be sent in or is there any hope of getting Miflash to recognize it or any other method you could think of? I really don't want to have to send it in.

I think you have to follow me for me to be able to PM you. I am following you.

drakenfx is the man! He got my phone back up and running from the dead! Back to stock. I thought for sure I was hard bricked. He got the paddles out and revived it though. Thanks again drakenfx!

Glad to help and don't make the same mistake again.

What was the mistake so that others can avoid it?

I made several mistakes. I was using bits and pieces from different threads to unlock the bootloader instead of just following this guide to a "t". I actually didn't see this thread until things had started going south already.

Moral of the story, follow this guide to a "t" and you won't have problems. Don't combine information from multiple guides. I should have known better.

One side note - after flashing the 3 files in step 3, I had to boot up and toggle the "enable OEM unlock" in developer options before doing steps 4-6. It must have reverted back to being toggled off after flashing the 3 files.

Thanks again ! You saved my butt! I am now rocking Lineage OS.