ZTE zmax pro restarting

mskitamskita Posts: 14 ✭✭✭

I have a zmax pro and it randomly restarts on its own. It typically does it at least 3 times a week. What can cause this? What can fix this? Please help!!

Comments

• ​ Hello, and Welcome to Z-Community. I would like to see if one of our CPAs ​ is able to assist you in troubleshooting this further. Should you need anything else please let us know.

• leatherface614leatherface614 Columbus ohioPosts: 2

I am having the exact same problem with my zmax pro. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

• ​ and ​ Can you both reply with what build/update you are currently on, and I will try to get some information to further assist you.

• leatherface614leatherface614 Columbus ohioPosts: 2

Z981v1. 0.0b14 is the build

• mskitamskita Posts: 14 ✭✭✭

I'm on the same build. Z981V1.0.0B14. it's been doing it again these last couple of days. Just this morning while I was driving it shut off and the only way to get it back on was to hold the power button and down arrow.

• ​ Good Evening. With this kind of issues it can many times help closing out running apps on daily basis. If it is due to high ram consumption this should resolve it. Please keep me posted over the nest few days. Please always feel free to use the mention/tag feature to get my attention by typing the @ symbol directly followed by username

• sagudfoodsagudfood Posts: 102 ✭✭✭

While that may help their problem in the short term, they shouldn't have to do that on a daily basis. Android manages ram usage and apps on it's own. Keeping your commonly used apps in cache allows them to load up much quicker when you use them. Android is designed to automatically release low priority apps from memory if ram is low. Other than a weekly reboot, this seems to be the results of one of the software "issues" that ZTE hasn't addressed or fixed. It is one of the widely reported known bugs. Firmware has gone from 08 to 12 to 14 in 5-6 months. Every time they try to fix something, they break something else. That's not how this is supposed to work, haha.

• Closing out apps is not necessary. 

For random reboots, try clearing cache partition in recovery.  It might not solve the issue but it helps to start with that.

​ closing out the apps hasnt helped. I do this/have done it daily and its still doing the same thing. If it doesnt just randomly reststart it will completely shut down and not come on. This is a very pressing issue especally when it does it overnight and I use my phone as my alarm clock. I have tried clearing the cache and it seems to not do it as often. The only other alternative i've found is to do a factor reset, however I would like to use that as a last resort!!

​ it seems as thouhgt clearing the cache stops it from doing it so much but its still doing it, unfortunally!

​ also here is the latest issue, along with the random restart, now when i send out a message to someone, sometimes they will get that message over and over. One person got the same message about 30 times. So now my question is, is there another update coming soon or will this continue to be an issue until someone can come up with another build?

• coldheat06coldheat06 Fort Worth, Texas Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi ​  When you send out a message and the receiver.....receives it multiple times that is a carrier issue.    I have had the same issue with my ZMax Pro on ATT.

To resolve this issue I had to call AT&T and

1.) Ensure that they had the correct EMEI

2.) Have them re-provision your device

This seemed to resolve my issue..... but it may take 24 hours from when they do it to take affect.

hope this helps!!

• Agreed. Have a replacement phone on its way but discovered that clearing my 8 gig cache file has stopped my phone from rebooting every hour, dropping calls, and loosing data while still showing full connection. Seems to be a memory leak and the firmware cant handle it.

• I am experiencing alot of problems also but not on B12 just on b14 it has to be this crappy  build. Whenever I browse web pages the phone freezes up. This software build needs to be fixed its like there is a memory leak or the phone just really doesn't want to respond. I have been looking at reviews online and I'm not the only one who is experiencing problems with this phone.

• Is their any way you can contact the developer team to tell them that a few consumers have reported to have some build problems with their phone. That would be greatly appreciated. I wouldn't know how to contact them about this problem. They just keep telling me to send the phone back when it cannot be a hardware possibility. I have sent this phone back to metro to get a replacement with the same build, and problems are still persistent after a few days of playing around with the replacement.

• I'm on build 14 on MetroPCS carrier.

• My ram has not gone over 80% so that couldn't be the problem I check this every so often on a daily basis.

• Like I said, it is a place to start and may not solve the issue.

Make sure you have no task killing apps or any battery saving apps.  They do nothing for your phone.

• Seems to be software or firmware they should update this phone soon

Good luck with that, haha. What's your definition of soon? Don't buy ZTE!!!

I agree with , how soon is soon?   you are right, don't buy ZTE especially this one...I am very unhappy with this phone!

• ponygirlponygirl RaleighPosts: 18 ✭✭✭✭

I am also having the same problem with my ZTE Zmax Pro, which I bought in February 2017.  It turns off by itself about 3 or 4 times a day.  I called T-Mobile and they only suggest a factory reboot, which is a royal pain in the backside.  I heard it was the SD card, but when I removed my SD card, the problem continued.  I cleaned the cache, removed TASK KILLER, deleted texts... nothing helped.  I hear people get new phones and the problem continues.  I think the ZTE doesn't "jive" with certain apps.  Why won't ZTE or T-Mobile take responsibility of this problem?

• alanhoustonalanhouston Posts: 658 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

A factory reset DOES work.  Everytime an app is updated there is an opportunity for fragments of an older version to conflict with a newer version.  Month by month, the phone's software gets a greater accumulation of trash and in six months your phone has the flu.

Remove your memory card.  Do a factory reset and chose the option for a fresh setup, NOT a setup from a prior date.  Install zero apps and games.  Go to setup, then updates, and install any pending updates for your phone.

At this point, your phone should be fast and smooth.  Test it for a day.  Then install ONE app and retest your phone.  Then install a second app and retest.  At some point, you will install an app and your phone will start a riot.  Remove the guilty app.

• Nope. Factory reset does not work for me. Same crap everyone else is experiencing, random reboots. Even with no other apps installed. I have never used an SD card in mine so that can't be an issue either. Face it, this phone is a piece of crap and they have little to absolutely zero intent to fix this issue. How about a class action lawsuit for this garbage? Would be nice for them to cover my lost hours when I'm late or get fired because it decided to shut itself off during the night. Or miss that call one of my parents or loved one is in the hospital. I mean c'mon. Smart phones are peoples main method of communication and people rely on it to work correctly for some pretty important reasons. This is some ridiculous bull*%&#.

• asianrockerasianrocker ILPosts: 243 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's unfair that you have to do ALL that in regular basis just so this phone can work. Don't you think?

If done correctly, a clean factory reset takes ten minutes and the result is a phone that works perfectly.  One Forum member has posted dozens of complaints about his phone, which took him hours to write, yet he claims a ten minute factory reset requires too much time. 

It is 100% unfair. A person shouldn't have to use workarounds in order for their phone to work correctly. ZTE should fix all the problems or issue a recall. ONE OR THE OTHER.

The fact is that ZTE is a 3rd tier manufacturer of shoddy hardware and ultra buggy software. Many of us have learned a valuable lesson here. And that lesson is DON'T BUY ZTE!!! If you're unsatisfied with the product you received, spread the word

sagudfood, you have spent months complaining about ZTE.  Why not buy an Apple or Samsung? And then fill up THEIR forums with your complaints.

I told you to refrain from replying or referencing me. If you don't like my opinion, ignore it. Otherwise, goodbye and have a nice life. 

• ponygirlponygirl RaleighPosts: 18 ✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to figure out what the problem is.  I love this phone, but when it shuts off in the middle of a phone call or a long text, you don't know what it feels like unless it continually happens to you.  A factory reboot takes more than 10 minutes to reload all my photos and information on some of my apps, and I have to hire someone to help me do that.  Now, the phone doesn't even allow me to clean my cache or reboot, because when I press POWER and the VOLUME button together, it doesn't stay on the black reboot screen.  It just powers down.  I think a lot of people don't have this problem with their ZTE phones, but from what I've read, a lot of people do.  What I would like to see on this forum is problem solving and people supporting each other, not being nasty.  I just want to figure out what the problem is.  I am stumped.  I'll let you all know if a reboot works, once I figure out a way not to lose all my texts and loaded information on my checklist (and other) apps.  Thank you for your help.  Someone suggested helium, but I don't know how to use helium.