Its a Chinese phone, so who cares.

alanquestalanquest KenyaPosts: 106 ✭✭✭

Just had to ask for your opinion because I feel at home with this community of Axon lovers.

A friend saw my phone and said, it's a great looking phone and asked me who the maker was. I told him "ZTE," & with a blank look he asked me which country it was from. I unashamedly said China and if I had a dollar for every time someone's interest in the phone faded after that fact I'd be a billionaire, or just be able to pay for my monthly Netflix subscription.

I love the Axon 7 & ZTE for that matter, but I get frustrated when people aren't willing to go past the country of origin of a phone despite its amazing specs. Do you guys face the same challenge when explaining your choice of ZTE branded phone or any non-American/famous brand?

As a side note, wonder why ZTE has a "designed in America" slogan at the bottom of the Axon back cover.

Comments

• soonertoadsoonertoad OklahomaPosts: 35 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think people felt the same way 15 years ago about South Korean electronics. We had spent 20 years with the Japanese making the best technology. Fast forward to today and people trust Samsung more than Sony.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,454 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I had a OP1 and OP2 and never ran into that problem. Actually I sold them to people in my office when I was done with them.

• If it's a beautiful phone, has awesome specs, works on all US bands, then who cares what country it came from! People in the US are so close minded when it comes to gadgets but I have to say some of the best things come from different places that even put the US made stuff to shame.

• elflaireelflaire Kampala - UgandaPosts: 101

LOL all phones are made in China, Korea, Japan and Taiwan - Including iPhones! Oh by the way and almost 70% of all common electronics

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United States Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Some people are extremely naive. There are no electronics made in the USA.
    They all come from various places around the world, and even stuff that claims to be in the US, all the parts are made overseas.
    It's extremely rare for anything, even outside of electronics, to be 100% manufactured and sold in the USA,
    AND be 100% backed by US funds. We live in a world economy now.

• jamesjames Pennsylvania, USAPosts: 423

The country of origin doesn't matter. I think a lot of people are still stuck on the impression that anything that comes from China is inferior to products from Japan, Europe, South Korea, and the US. The fact is, most of our own technology is made in China, I mean look at the iPhone - made in China, and yet it is of high quality and performance, and has a huge following.
    Chinese companies get a bad rap in many parts of the west, mostly the US, because too many people are ill-informed, in my opinion. To me it's all about quality of the product and customer support, and as long as the product is sold in the US and I don't have to call mainland China, or Japan, or Australia for that matter, I don't care where it's made.
    Not to put too fine a point on it, but US companies that outsource manufacturing don't deserve a higher level of respect or loyalty than foreign firms who build their products.

• davedave Ingolstadt, GermanyPosts: 84

While I never had this kind of experience (the main reason might be that I own a Nexus 5 since release and therefore I don't own a 'Chinese' phone ) I can definately tell that there are a lot of people thinking that way by reading comments all over the internet.

I'd say the latest example is Huawei. They pushed more and more in western markets over the I'd say last 2-3 years and had to deal with that kind of thinking. They knew that they will have problems, mainly because the market already had very strong competitors and because of that mentioned way of thinking. What they did was pricing their products way more reasonable. After more and more people bought Huawei's devices and they had built some kind of brand awareness they priced their products higher and higher. An example for this is the Mate 7 compared to the Mate 8. The Mate 7 started at 499€ while the Mate 8 started at 599€. Normally this is the way to go to gain some market share. But, and you mustn't forget that, their devices are still priced below the big player's devices made by Samsung, LG and so on.

And talking about whether this is justified or not to think that way:

Definitely not. There are tons of very good devices. Many of them still lack the optimization for the western markets (mainly the UI which is very colorful and kind of overloaded in China) but the devices they build are very good.

I think it's kind of a 'You can't change the habits of a lifetime'-thing. People don't know it, so they don't like it. Furthermore they have the wrong way of thinking: China = cheap. So many devices are produced in China and nobody bats an eye as there is an apple slapped on it or two big letters (LG).

But well, in the end it is good for the people that have a different way of thinking. As these OEMs have to price their products very competitive the ones who actually buy it don't have to empty their wallets

• valtraca82valtraca82 PortugalPosts: 33

It happened with the Huawei and they manage to go through. As long as they don't use cheap materials and use hi end specs it doesn't matter, and here in Europe warranty is a most, huawei offers 3 years warranty, it is a statement of saying " our smartphones are so good that we offer more warranty then any other

• valtraca82valtraca82 PortugalPosts: 33

LG currently is cheaper then Huawei. So things are changing

• alanquestalanquest KenyaPosts: 106 ✭✭✭

For early adopters it's easy to trust a brand because we care more for the tech than the name. Marketing follows for us and not the other way round. Hopefully one day a Chinese phone won't have to fight off the tag 'made in China's but will proudly use it.

Those phones paved the way for the Huawei & ZTEs that we currently own because they opted for uniqueness & quality, and not reverse engineering & clones.

And guess who benefits, it's the consumer; American, Indian, African, Australian, doesn't matter. The more the competition the more the creativity & price advantage that's past on to the consumer.

I laugh when someone with an iPhone naively mocks a Chinese made phone that prob has better specs than his phone. Foxxcon (a Chinese company) manufactures all those iPhones & the like yet it's a bad thing when it decides to brand it's own phone? Don't get it.

• davedave Ingolstadt, GermanyPosts: 84

And where is that?

The Mate 8 started for 599€ here, the G5 for 699€.

It's not about the actual price. This price is market driven. We are talking about MSRPs.

Exactly! If the tech and quality are there, then it simply doesn't matter. All the crap about "Buy American" is bs in the tech world, as there are no longer any smartphones actually made in the US. Sure, a company itself might be based in the US, but why should that matter to me? I'll support the company that gives me the best quality for the money, and at this point very few companies seem to match what I've heard about ZTE. I do consider it a risk to switch brands, only because my preferences might not match those of reviewers and/or current customers, but with risk comes benefit, if those risks are well calculated.
    In other words: my money will go to the company I feel most deserves my money and support, regardless of it's base of origin.

Yes, if my tech needs are being met it doesn't matter which is the country of origin, as long as I get the best value for my money.

• rzracerrzracer Orlando, FL, USAPosts: 25

Seems like most people here are on the same sheet of music, China has come a long way in the last 10 years and ZTE has been making phones for a while now.  I do feel however that after buying a Teclast x98 pro in Dec and having it fail after 2 months of light usage that this Chinese brand is one to avoid.  Only phone or tablet I've had fail for no reason thus far and I've owned 30-40 devices.  I've never owned a ZTE device and am looking forward to the 7 if they release it right.

• mupton0916@gmail.com[email protected] Atlanta, GAPosts: 11

I just tell them that a huge number of phones/electronics come from China, even the brands we often think of as being "American".  Try not to be smug about it though; chances are people just aren't aware of how many of the products they own come from overseas. '

It's really more about the company than the country, anyway.  I've had my OnePlus One for ~2 years, for example, and I've been very happy with the quality and reliability of the phone.

• 2pointdooj2pointdooj Morocco, OujdaPosts: 590 ✭✭✭✭

Chinese manufacturers are doing well, just look at huawei.

• 2pointdooj2pointdooj Morocco, OujdaPosts: 590 ✭✭✭✭

Chinese manufacturers are strong now, huawei is the best example.

• ddrakeddrake Alpharetta, GAPosts: 318 ✭✭✭

These types of things are always concerning:  ZTE isn't on the list, but spy software is always a concern.

Spy Software Found Preinstalled on Lenovo, Huawei, and Xiaomi Smartphones

• tietjetietje Telluride, coPosts: 84

shouldn't companies be rated by the products they make and not what geographic location they make it from

shouldn't they be rated by quality, performance, design ex.

I have a ZTE device, the Nubia Z7 mini, I've had it for 2+ years now & I have never had any issues with it. I have even received offers from friends who want to buy it for close to the original purchase price but I couldn't sale it because I was waiting for the next good release from ZTE & the time is now upon us. I believe that if the company makes good phones then that's sufficient loyalty from me

• chrsnchrsn New YorkPosts: 217 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get asked this with my OPO but honestly, all phone makers have factories in china. With materials mined from across the globe.

A way of saying the phrase that I use alot now is:

"It's from a smaller company called X that is recent to the game"

There. Nobody has asked for country, and if they did thats just plain silly.

A Huawei phone was my first Chinese phone 5 years ago & I've never looked back. To show how good they are just look at their current market share .

That's a serious issue. Do you think it's possible to be that daring in this age of NSA? Or is the American attitude that of skepticism especially when it comes to Chinese Tech companies?

After such a reply I normally start explaining how amazing the x company products are and end u becoming a brand ambassador for company x, wink 'ZTE'.

It seems someone's always trying to spy on us, whether it's foreign governments, our own government, corporations, or the average hacker just screwing around. Finding spyware on my phone would be a definite issue, but finding it was installed by the OEM would force me to drop the phone and find an alternative. Android is the least secure OS on the market, with iPhone following a close second, but it usually comes down to people rooting their phones and/or installing malware and viruses.
    Speaking of which, do you use an antivirus on your Android device?

• ddrakeddrake Alpharetta, GAPosts: 318 ✭✭✭

I think it works both ways.  Is the USA doing the same type of things?  Yes.  Does the Chinese government do similar things?  Yes. 

The US government was caught for redirecting Cisco switches, firewalls, etc and implanting beacons before they would end up at the end user / company.  China was doing similar things. 

Do I think they still do it post-Snowden, yes. 

• People are indeed naive. The mentality is not specific to US. Back in India, people had the same mentality as well. But it opened up the market for Chinese companies due to the demography wanting "cheap" phones. Also, one of the logical decision that people make when buying is "Value for my money spent". Once, people started realizing that the build quality and durability matches that of an expensive "brand", things changed and we have India as one of the first markets after China that companies want to target (including Apple now). As mentioned in one of my other discussions, Chinese companies over the past couple of years, with their quality smartphone releases, have proven the fact that they can not only match, but surpass so called branded / high ended smartphones with a lesser cost. Why would I buy an S7, when I can get the same performance on a Huawei or a ZTE? Of course, the service and warranty do matter, but these companies have started making service a priority as well (case in point, two year warranty from Axon). Moreover, check out actual release videos of these companies. Trust me, if you are a geek, you will see that the entire presentation is based on explaining tech and the advancements. What these companies do with sensors from big brands on their camera hardware and with chipsets is amazing. Axon could have just released another phone, but they went ahead and partnered with Google to get it Day dream ready, so that it scales up and people don't feel lost and have to buy another new phone. The actual test remains to be seen, but hey, they at least made an effort. Also, almost all phone releases from China have sported 6GB as a RAM option. Have not seen branded phones do it. So, all in all, people will soon er or later realize that it makes sense to go for these products. As for malwares and spy softwares, I share the sentiments of the other commentors that we don't know what softwares are running in the background in international versions.