Its a Chinese phone, so who cares.

2»

Comments

• jamesjames Pennsylvania, USAPosts: 423

That's pretty much it. I hold no state secrets, so I'm more concerned with my own government's activities than a nation halfway around the world. That said, finding spyware would encourage me to flash my device.

• fzrrichfzrrich United States Posts: 4,191 mod

I agree with you, it is very difficult to change old habits and thought patterns in most people, but not impossible. They are things that change slowly over time with new generations.

EVERYTHING IS MADE IN CHINA!!!   I don't know why people would make their decisions based on what country puts your phone together or where the parts are made. It is true, most everything comes from China. Iphone originated in the silicon valley and most all its manufacturing is in now in China. This is the route many U.S. business eventually turn to save money. I don't care where the product is made as long as the quality and craftsmanship is good and it is a great product.

• alanquestalanquest KenyaPosts: 106 ✭✭✭

That's a thorough and excellent response. I agree that most Chinese companies are winning the smart phone battle, be it one user a time, by being very thorough & detailed with what they offer. Most established companies would care less about explaining what's under the hood (*cough* Apple) because they believe that you are buying the brand first & the gadget second. That's a good theory so long as the brand still provides good tech & there's no competition, but once that changes its a whole different thing. Look at Nokia, we bought the brand but when they stopped innovating & move with the current we stopped buying the brand. Chinese makers k ow this and emphasis on innovation & information, making sure you know what's under the hood.

If you want a malware free phone you might just have to invent a machine that will take you to a malware free universe coz I believe malware is in more appliances than we are ready to believe

And India is fast becoming the biggest mobile market after States & China. Might even become bigger than both by current trends.

• dellasterdellaster Pahrump, Nevada, USAPosts: 103

Well said, James. My sentiments exactly.

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 mod

I care DEEPLY about the new Axon 7, Not only has my Axon Pro been my favorite phone out of every phone ive ever owned (All Galaxy's including the Galaxy 6 until they released the Axon Pro.) ZTE listened to there users and created the BEST PHONE of 2016 and I cant wait to own it

• tom604tom604 Vancouver BCPosts: 102

Thats a ridiculous statement. Tell your friend to look into where his iphone or samsung was made.

Chinese electronics are much better quality than they were 5 years ago. Everything is made in China anyway so I dont understand why people say things like that.

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have that conversation with people all the time and they quickly blurt out, they're spying on us. 

In a look of astonishment from me, in my mind saying you are not that important for any one to care about your information!, I politely state that is a vast misconception.  If that were true your Samsung devices, computers, bank atms, cars, utilities would all be subject to the same scrutiny.  If that were the case, we wouldn't have any of the luxuries we have today.  Being afraid of change will not help the fact that its inevitable and no one can control it.  Now without getting into a too deep conversation, do you like the phone or not?  i usually get a yeah that is a sharp looking phone its sleek.  My Axon Pro of course. You wish to know more? I do get some that do but some that think the cost is too much for they to pay attention until I tell them how much it was.  You want to see what it can do?  I give a few examples and let them hold it.  Of course once in a while I'll get that Fan Boy T___l who comments something snide and tries to out do with my Galaxy does this, My Nexus does that, my OnePlus is top notch.  I'm pretty cool about that as I have been treated well by ZTE and so I am an enthusiast and don't blame them for their loyalty to their device manufacturer.  Just don't be crass about it.  Lol!

I think when people use the term "spying" they're referring more the data collection as it pertains to device usage. It's very valuable for an OEM and provider to know how their customer use their devices as it can lead to real innovation and smarter updates on future devices and OS updates. On the flip side, while most us understand personal information isn't generally collected, we've seen how the NSA has had a difficult time separating deeply personal data from supposedly "benign" meta data. On the information collection front I think it's understandable to want transparency, but it's even more understandable to scrutinize how our information is used.
    Advertising IDs are used by developers to target specific users, which means a degree of information is collected, making our app usage anything but private. Sure, the content of our usage may be private, but how often we use the app, for how long, what times of day, how many contacts use that same app... I mean, how much information is actually being collected? I honestly don't know. What I do believe, though, is that there's no difference between how that information is collected in China as opposed to the USA.
    Malware is a whole different topic, but you heard what the NSA did some of WD, Seagate, and other HHDs, right? They installed backdoors directly on the drives and Kaspersky found out. The targets were Chinese, Russian, and other nation's military and corporate personnel. It happens.
    It's a fascinating topic, though.

Yes, listening to their customers helped them move from making a good from to the best phone of 2016. If they keep at it they (a Chinese) company may soon be amongst the top manufacturers. I love ZTE phones

Most the time that statement comes about because of ignorance & a lack of common sense which is not so common after all. Hopefully time will prove them wrong.

Thwy should add that to the forum for class 101 on owning a ZTE phone, because it happens to me all the time.

The question then might be does one wrong justify another, or nullify another wrong or should we just not care at all?

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent point. I can remember, back in the mid 80's when people thought Samsung electronics might be too cheap. Ask them now. LOL.

I get that attitude occasionally, but not as much as at this time last year. I think Axon, Alcatel, Huawei and others went a long way towards changing attitudes in 2015. I bought phones from all 3.

I also remember writing a few articles early last year about how I was looking forward to the Chinese manufacturers coming to America. I believe that I was vindicated quite nicely.

For the most part, I'm fine with OEMs gathering non-personal data, but I'd like to have the option to opt in or out. Data gathering is a necessary evil in the world we live in, and it does have a strong influence on services, devices, and apps, not to mention just about every other product being sold. If it improves quality of usage without infringing on my right to keep personal data private, than I can fully get behind it.
    But, it takes transparency to gain trust.

Wow & look at Sumsang now, they manufacture everything we use & we trust them crazily.

You should post one of your articles in the blog section. It's interesting how the world is fast changing; not just economies but even attitudes.

I hope we will move towards such a free world but with every passing day it looks less & less likely.

The world is constantly changing and evolving yet somehow it stays the same .

Here are links to two articles that I wrote on BaneTech.com last year.

One on March 28th about ZTE - http://www.bane-tech.com/zte-moving-up-fast/

another on Chinese manufacturers in general published June 19th - http://www.bane-tech.com/zte-moving-up-fast/

Excellent let me check them out.

Sorry. Posted the same link twice. Here is the second post:

http://www.bane-tech.com/?s=chinese

The two links are for the same article but wow!!! Looks like someone saw the launch of the Axon 7 & the rise of ZTE & Chinese companies before it happened. Nice article.

I will quote one wise man who said

"There seems to be a good reason why the Chinese home-grown companies have made such great gains in the past couple of years and I expect that we in the US are about to see real expansion into our market. If it means that we get more choice, especially at a better price point, I say, bring it. The space between the flagships and the mid-range phones is lessening and we, the consuming public, are the winners."

Thanks.

Thanks for the kind words.