Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Share your calling /recording experiences and have chance to win one of 3 $25 Gift Cards

yindanyindan Posts: 58 ✭✭✭✭✭

This week, Consumer Labs would like to learn more about your usage behaviors and attitudes toward calling/recording. In exchange for your responses, we will be giving out (3) separate $25 gift cards to respondents (one for each) who give us the most detailed responses. Usage scenario photos are encouraged in your response.

1. Could you describe how you typically make or receive a phone call? Do you tend to use speakerphone, the device to your ear or headphones/earbuds?
  2. In what scenarios do you use earphones for a call? How frequently do you use earphone when you're on a call?
  3. Are there any cons related to the call quality when you hold the phone to your ear for a call that you would like to share with us in terms of the volume, clarity of speech, distortion of sound, noise, etc ?
  4. In what scenarios do you use speakerphone for a call? How frequently do you use speakerphone when taking a call? Are there any cons related to the call quality when you use speakerphone for a call that you would like to share with us in terms of the volume, clarity of speech, distortion of sound, noise, etc ?

5. In what scenarios do you use audio recording or video recording? Are you satisfied with the sound quality? Do you have any suggestions on recording?

There are no right or wrong answers in this survey... please feel free to share your experiences with us.

Comments

• louisdlouisd Arguer in Chief United StatesPosts: 1,166 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Could you describe how you typically make or receive a phone call? Do you tend to use speakerphone, the device to your ear or headphones/earbuds?

**I mainly use the handset and bluetooth to my car for 95% of the calling. 

In what scenarios do you use earphones for a call? How frequently do you use earphone when you're on a call?

**When travelling on trains or in areas where I'm trying not to bother others.  If you don't count car bluetooth, less than 5% of the time.

Are there any cons related to the call quality when you hold the phone to your ear for a call that you would like to share with us in terms of the volume, clarity of speech, distortion of sound, noise, etc ?

**The big con is the placement of the ambient light sensor which is too close to the edge and constantly causes the screen to come on unless I hold the phone just right.

In what scenarios do you use speakerphone for a call? How frequently do you use speakerphone when taking a call? Are there any cons related to the call quality when you use speakerphone for a call that you would like to share with us in terms of the volume, clarity of speech, distortion of sound, noise, etc ?

**I use it sometimes with my family at home or with co-workers in a conference room.    It seems to work very well.

In what scenarios do you use audio recording or video recording? Are you satisfied with the sound quality? Do you have any suggestions on recording?

**The one issue I've seen is camera noise on some video recordings. Overall though, sound is pretty good.  I rarely use audio recording.

• saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Could you describe how you typically make or receive a phone call? Do you tend to use speakerphone, the device to your ear or headphones/earbuds?

At first I will rely on whatever device I am connected to whether it be my bluetooth device that can receive calls or my earphones. I will switch the earpiece if the caller can't understand me or I can hear them properly. I prefer using an earphone/mic or bluetooth headset though.

I only use the speakerphone when I'm at home and I'm preoccupied with something else ( talking on the phone is a multi-task opportunity with me)

1. In what scenarios do you use earphones for a call? How frequently do you use earphone when you're on a call?

I would use my earphones for a call whenever possible.As in if my easrphones were not plugged in and I received a call, I would answer the call and then put in my earphones; that way i either have my hands-free or I can do something else on the phone (phone calls is a multi- tasking opportunity for me)

1. Are there any cons related to the call quality when you hold the phone to your ear for a call that you would like to share with us in terms of the volume, clarity of speech, distortion of sound, noise, etc ?

There are no cons in terms of clarity, clarity, and sound when using the earpiece on the phone. If there had to be one if would probably be that the volume from an earpiece may not get as loud as the bluetooth earpiece I'm using.

1. In what scenarios do you use speakerphone for a call? How frequently do you use speakerphone when taking a call? Are there any cons related to the call quality when you use speakerphone for a call that you would like to share with us in terms of the volume, clarity of speech, distortion of sound, noise, etc ?

I only use the speakerphone when I'm at home and I'm preoccupied with something else or if someone is with me and we are having a group discourse.

5. In what scenarios do you use audio recording or video recording? Are you satisfied with the sound quality? Do you have any suggestions on recording?

I use the ACR  app to record all calls that I make; at the end of the call ACR will prompt to save the recording or not. Calls saved in the app or practically the same quality as the call that took place. ACR gives me the option to save in flac but I use a higher form of wav for file size purposes. 

• chrsnchrsn New YorkPosts: 217 ✭✭✭✭✭

1) I use my Bluetooth set whenever I can to answer calls since it leaves my hands free and with no wires. Once the call is over I can switch back to music pretty quickly also. Ironically the A7s sound quality over the regular speaker is so phenomenal, once people hear me using it then immediately tell me to get off Bluetooth, so no moving for me!

2) Whenever I'm outside. For inside or at work, I'll more often use the speaker phone since I can't wear my headset inside. Probably 20% of the time.

3) None except I wish the person I was hearing was a LITTLE bit louder. In terms of clarity it's actually better than any other phone I've tried so far.

4) Mainly for group calls or when people that I talk too alot hear the quality of me using the speakerphone, very little of the time otherwise. A REALLY good plus is when I used my phone for a conference call with some in the office and compared to someone's iPhone that we used for a previous call the volume and clarity of the A7 made it seem like he had a speaker made from mud and Play-Doh. Topped any of the office phones as well and prompted alot of people to ask what phone it was.

5) Here is the only weak spot for me. Comparing this to phones without a dedicated chip it's definitely near the top in terms of recording quality. Now comparing this to the HTC10, the V20, or the G6 I just tested it's clear the mic is overly sensitive to certain frequencies. This works for recording performances, theatre stuff, and just whenever I hang out with friends for eevryone detail, but for personal recordings like when I used it to record audio for a video I made I could often hear people on my SECOND floor talking and laughing, as well as a constant hum if near a fridge, microwave, or even my computer screen. If there was an option to turn the sensitivity down for certain frequencies and boosting vocal frequency it would be perfect.

Hope this helps, but just to add on in terms of general call quality you guys nailed it. Really embarrasses other modern phones that easily cost triple. If you go up in price to the high end just keep the sound and it will definitely be noticed.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Could you describe how you typically make or receive a phone call? Do you tend to use speakerphone, the device to your ear or headphones/earbuds?

• I try to use the handset whenever possible for making and receiving calls, this is because the the microphone on the smartphone is fer better than the ones in my Bluetooth headset, as well as the wired headset. Outside of that, I also use the speakerphone function when at my desk, as the audio quality is still good.

In what scenarios do you use earphones for a call? How frequently do you use earphone when you're on a call?

• I will use earphones/ headset for a call when I am working with my hands, and thus cannot hold the phone. From the calls that I have recorded to check quality, the audio is noticeably worse than using the built in mic, though it does not make it harder to understand, it just means you get less bass in the vocals.

Are there any cons related to the call quality when you hold the phone to your ear for a call that you would like to share with us in terms of the volume, clarity of speech, distortion of sound, noise, etc ?

• The only con that I have found, is more of a feature that becomes a con due to lack of user control. The way that it does noise reduction to both cancel out environmental noises as well as vocals of others nearby, is similar to the technology used by creative, but ZTE's implementation preserves more bass. it works well if you are close, but for example, if you were to move the phone away from your face while it is in the handset mode, and not switch to speakerphone mode, that audio focus ability will cause your voice to barely be picked up. It is rare to encounter this since in handset mode, you have the phone held close, but if you wanted to quickly move the phone away from your face in order to quickly look at the time, the focus settings will cause it to not pick up your voice while doing  that. This behavior is by design for most phones in order to reduce background noise, but it would be cool if a user could tweak the settings to increase the radius of where it will capture audio and where it will cancel it out.
    • focus.jpg

In what scenarios do you use speakerphone for a call? How frequently do you use speakerphone when taking a call? Are there any cons related to the call quality when you use speakerphone for a call that you would like to share with us in terms of the volume, clarity of speech, distortion of sound, noise, etc ?

• I use the speakerphone mostly when I am at my desk, and wish to use the PC while in a call, as well as if I want someone else near me to also join in on the call. The quality s fine and the pickup range is greatly expanded. Furthermore the auto gain and background noise reduction still seems to work well, as it seems to just use the loud speaker, and noise reduction, but no audio focus. This does cause more background noise to be heard, as there is no way to prevent that, as it is listening at its max range. Overall, the quality is as I would expect it; it is good, and does the best it can given the omni-directional pickup.

In what scenarios do you use audio recording or video recording? Are you satisfied with the sound quality? Do you have any suggestions on recording?

• I use audio recording for lectures, and the built in recorder works great for that. For best results when using the built in recorder, record using wav, especially if you will be recording in a loud or noisy environment. The higher the quality is for the source material, the better job audio editors can do for cleaning audio up. For example if there is a lot of noise generated by constructions or other people simply being obnoxious, you can use the complex sound remover in some audio editors to remove the unwanted sounds, and isolate the desirable sound.

• As a suggestion, I recommend that ZTE add generic driver support for USB microphones. I am sure some people would love to use a mic like the Blue microphone yeti, or the audio technica at2020, or probably some XLR adapters so that someone can attach a USB to XLR adapter and then connect a shotgun mic to their smartphone. This can be useful in situations such as recording a speech or presentation, instead of dealing with omni-directional mics picking up the room sounds and echos, you can have something a little like the image below connected to the phone. While there are a range of addon mics designed for smartphones, most people will prefer to stick with more traditional equipment and simply adapt it to the devices they need. Think how it is better to buy headphones with a standard TRS connector instead of something using usb-c or lightning. A standard headphone can be adapted too work with just about anything, but the more specialized connectors are not.

mic.jpg

• austin45austin45 United StatesPosts: 192 ✭✭✭✭✭

I usually use the built in speaker (not speakerphone)

1. In what scenarios do you use earphones for a call? How frequently do you use earphone when you're on a call?

I honestly never have used earphones for calls. I always use the ear speaker for my calls

1. Are there any cons related to the call quality when you hold the phone to your ear for a call that you would like to share with us in terms of the volume, clarity of speech, distortion of sound, noise, etc ?

I have noticed some audio pops. It can get a little crackly at higher volumes

1. In what scenarios do you use speakerphone for a call? How frequently do you use speakerphone when taking a call? Are there any cons related to the call quality when you use speakerphone for a call that you would like to share with us in terms of the volume, clarity of speech, distortion of sound, noise, etc ?

I don't use speakerphone to often. Maybe once or twice a week. I think the speaker phone sounds great. I have not noticed anything that I felt has been negative. The volume is loud and I haven't noticed any distortion

I like to make videos with my Axon 7. I upload these to youtube and facebook. The sound quality is great! The video quality is also good. But I feel that it struggles in low light situations at times.

• wiseman13wiseman13 United StatesPosts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Most calls are made with my phone against my ear.
    2. I use the ear piece for most calls for privacy and ease of hearing the other person in noisy environments.
    3. Nope. I find the ear piece volume and clarity great. It would be BT volume that I sometimes find lacking.
    4. I use the speaker phone when my hands are occupied or I am driving. I find volume and clarity on my side is fine, but those on the other side complain that my voice is muffled.
    5. I usually use is sound recording for voice memos. I find that my phone must be within one foot of my mouth for clarity. Since I would prefer to leave it on my desk a bit more sensitivity.
  • Calling:

Sound is good when signal is good (normal calling and using bluetooth with a car head unit)

When signal is poor or not so good then sound is horrible, you can't hear/understand. (it didn't happen using the same chip in my previous phone a moto g 2).

Note: I'm using it not in USA but in another country.

• jmendoza85jmendoza85 Kingman, AZPosts: 5
  • saeedted wrote:  I use the ACR app to record all calls that I make; at the end of the call ACR will prompt to save the recording or not. Calls saved in the app or practically the same quality as the call that took place. ACR gives me the option to save in flac but I use a higher form of wav for file size purposes. 

Have you had success with using ACR to record both sides of the phone call on the Axon 7? Which version of Android are you running?

I've been trying to get a call recording app to work on my A7 running Marshmellow (7.1), but none of the apps will record both sides of the phone call. I tried ACR, and adjusted some of the settings, but it still only records my voice (from the MIC) and not the audio from the person I'm calling or the person calling me. I know that I can change this to work with calls placed on speaker, but this isn't practical in most situations.

Also, if it is working, are you able to also record both sides of the phone call when using a Bluetooth headset? On previous Android phones, I've been able to get regular call recording to work, but have never been able to get the software to record the audio as it was being passed through a BT headset. ACR will record my voice through the headset's MIC, but it won't record the other side of the conversation.

I'm willing to downgrade to Android 6, or root the phone if needed,  but I would like to confirm it won't work without this first.

(I have my phone paired with a Zen Watch 2 if that matters).

This discussion has been closed.