ZMax Pro Won't Charge

jbigs007jbigs007 Buffalo, NYPosts: 3

I'm having a problem. My ZMax pro won't charge. I plugged it in last night to charge and it was fine. Then about 3 in the morning, I hear my phone make the sounds like it was trying to connect to the charger but it wasn't plugged in all the way. I checked it and it was all plugged in but it wasn't charging. Also, the end where the charger plugs into the phone was getting really hot. So, I took it off the charger. I tried the other charger that I have for the phone and it does the same thing. I tried turning off the phone to charge and the circle pulses on and off and the phone vibrates to those pulses. Is my phone done because I can't replace the battery? Does this mean that I have to go out and buy a brand new phone?

Answers

• r0bbieism3r0bbieism3 Posts: 67 ✭✭

I am experiencing same problem with my AC adapter overheating when charging this zmax pro. I've used different AC adapters on the same phone also but they start getting really hot sometimes too.  Plus I am using the charger and adapter that came with the phone. I am really hoping that it is just the build that I'm on (b14). I was on B12 a few months ago and everything was working fine.

• asianrockerasianrocker ILPosts: 243 ✭✭✭✭✭

Solution really is NEVER leave phone, tablet charging overnight even laptops. I am speaking from experience, LOL. ALL my  tablet, laptop has F'd up battery life now. Either it turns off on me when it shows it is half full, - my tablet, or I have to keep it plugged while using it coz the battery does not hold charge anymore - my current laptop.

IN fact my $1000 laptop died on me within less than 3 years of usage. WTF, HP, never again.

Yap. And the solution to your problem? Put it in a freezer. I only put mine on the fridge. Crazy but works. I resurrected my tablet that way many times.

Miraculously, this phone, has not experience that BS so far. Maybe coz I don't charge it overnight ever.

It's not that

• asianrockerasianrocker ILPosts: 243 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh yes it is. I am on b14 too so why am I not having your problem?

It's not just at night it is at any time when it is charging from 30% to

50% and yes I'm with u I'm on b14 also

• sagudfoodsagudfood Posts: 102 ✭✭✭

I've have had few instances where the phone would tell me that it was fully charged and to unplug, but the phone had only charged for like 10 minutes and moved a few percentage points. So basically the phone thought it was fully charged but it was at like 30%. It only happened to me 4-5 times before this phone became useless and got thrown in a drawer. But still, it's just one glitch in a long and ever growing line of issues with this phone. Moral of the story - Don't buy ZTE!!!

• alanhoustonalanhouston Posts: 666 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Turn the phone OFF.  Charge with the original ZTE charger and ZTE cord using a wall socket, not a power strip or extension cord.  Charge it for three hours.  Turn the phone on, it should be at 100% charge.

If that does not work, try a different USB-C cord.  Cord problems are usually invisible, so a different cord is the only way to check.  If you do not have an extra cord most Best Buy stores carry them.

If the new cord does not work with the ZTE charger, try a different high quality charger, not a dollar store charger.

If none of these things work, contact ZTE for warranty service.

It is OK as long as it charges and doesn't cause a fire hazard, but yes multiple people are experiencing their charger not working with the zmax pro.

• jbigs007jbigs007 Buffalo, NYPosts: 3

So, I had to go purchase a new phone about a month ago since my ZTE ZMAX Pro was not charging. Today, I decide to plug in the phone to see if I had the same issue. Amazingly, the phone started charging with no issues whatsoever.  It literally sat in my dresser drawer for a month and it seemed to resolve its own issue. I am going to see what happens over the net week and if nothing bad happens, I'm switching the phone back. I like the ZTE ZMAX Pro because of its size (I have fat fingers and texting on these small phones is a pain) as well as its picture and video quality. Hopefully, ZTE will release Android Nougat to the phone

• yosoygringoyosoygringo Knoxville TenneseePosts: 1 ✭✭

Dear jbigs007. I thought I had tried everything. I tried holding down the power button, tried charging with a laptop, tried holding it down for 15 seconds 78 freaking times. No light, no nothing, just dead and would not charge or turn on. Now my phone turned off before and did not turn on turn when I had 68 % battery, and holding down the power button did turn it back on. But if you have this issue and the phone gets to 0 then you are **** unless...

You dissconnect that battery. You literally have to take the phone apart. You will need a small screwdriver, something thin to strong to pry open the phone and patients. 20 min job max.

Watch this video on how to replace the screen. He goes over how to take it apart.

All you have to do is watch up to 8:10

How to replace ZTE ZMax Pro Z981 LCD Glass Screen | Screen Replacement - YouTube

you can also look at this. if you are already good at taking **** apart.

ZTE ZMax Pro (Z981) Disassembly - iFixit

All I literally did was dissconnect the battery for 10 seconds and reconnect ( NOT take it out)

After that I charged it with a with a usb in my laptop because i read on many places that if it is below 0 laptops are better for charging. So got up to 5 percent with usb and laptop, then plugged it in with the wall charger. Now it is 28%. I literally just fixed it.

• MelWMelW WisconsinPosts: 2 ✭✭

My ZTE got more difficult to connect - like the connection was a little loose. For a while I could get a tiny bit of charge if I held the cable into the phone socket really hard - enough to start to boot but not enough to finish the process. So I took it in and used the insurance and got a replacement phone (which required 4 days with NO phone - scary) and today - 3 days later - the new phone is doing the same thing. I have several charging cables from different manufacturers and none of them quite "feel" like they connect right, and the new phone won't charge either.
    It doesn't "feel" like it's the battery, it feels like the internal socket is weak or not well connected. The phone was fully charged last night and now is at 1% and fading and won't recharge.

I noticed that the old phone (18 months old) was needing to be recharged more often (several times a day), which I wasn't thrilled with, but this is a separate problem.

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USAPosts: 7,931 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@MelW said:
    My ZTE got more difficult to connect - like the connection was a little loose. For a while I could get a tiny bit of charge if I held the cable into the phone socket really hard - enough to start to boot but not enough to finish the process. So I took it in and used the insurance and got a replacement phone (which required 4 days with NO phone - scary) and today - 3 days later - the new phone is doing the same thing. I have several charging cables from different manufacturers and none of them quite "feel" like they connect right, and the new phone won't charge either.
    It doesn't "feel" like it's the battery, it feels like the internal socket is weak or not well connected. The phone was fully charged last night and now is at 1% and fading and won't recharge.

I noticed that the old phone (18 months old) was needing to be recharged more often (several times a day), which I wasn't thrilled with, but this is a separate problem.

After 18 months you would expect to see some battery degradation. As far as the charging...do you have the original cable and wall plug? Does that one work? If you take it to the store and have them try to charge it does it work?

• MelWMelW WisconsinPosts: 2 ✭✭

The store could not get it to charge either. I don't have the original cable but I have several power sources and several cables, all of which work on other devices and none of which work on this one. The connection does feel loose - wiggles around in the phone.
    I used my insurance and got a replacement phone but they want me to send the non-working one back, but I still can't get enough of a charge to erase my data, and I really don't want to give them all my data, accounts, passwords, etc. It used to be that a good strong magnet would do that but I don't think it works on these devices.

• Vegan_ChickVegan_Chick Lafayette, LAPosts: 4 ✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:
    Swiftkey has a setting to resize the keyboard and on the Zmax Pro you can make the keyboard huge making it easier to type. Or just speak your message.

How?

@jimlloyd40 said:
    Swiftkey has a setting to resize the keyboard and on the Zmax Pro you can make the keyboard huge making it easier to type. Or just speak your message.

How?

Extremely frustrated. Store could not charge it either and gave me a new phone which is now doing the same thing too. Damn.

• razor512razor512 New YorkPosts: 2,403 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2018 3:09PM

@Vegan_Chick Can you record a video of the issue you are facing? This will make it easier to fully understand what is happening.

• musicdjmmusicdjm Worcester,MAPosts: 3,104 mod

@Vegan_Chick said:
    Extremely frustrated. Store could not charge it either and gave me a new phone which is now doing the same thing too. Damn.

Are you guys able to post a video of what your referring to/see when you plug the phone in ?