Does this issue affect the Axon 7?

Project Zero: Over The Air: Exploiting Broadcom’s Wi-Fi Stack (Part 1)

This was on Ars Technica today, but neither that story nor the one linked here contains a full list of affected devices. Is the Axon 7 using affected Broadcom wifi hardware? If so, will a fix be coming from ZTE?

Answers

• aexcorpaexcorp Posts: 18 ✭✭✭✭✭

+1, this is a pretty nasty vulnerability that doesn't look exceedingly hard to exploit in the wild.

The main question is, what WiFi chipset did ZTE select for the Axon 7?

I looked at a few teardowns, but couldn't find this info in them. Maybe looking at the pictures they contain could help, but I don't have time for that kind of analysis right now.

• busymanbusyman CanadaPosts: 401 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty sure it isn't Broadcom, since it's a Qualcomm chip.

Edit: Didn't read the article, looks like it affects Qualcomm chips too.

Edit 2: Snapdragon 820 countdown: breakthrough LTE and Wi-Fi with X12 LTE modem | Qualcomm

Looks like the X12 modem bundles WiFi and cellular together, and it's in the 820.

• ketherakethera Posts: 3 ✭✭

This is huge, and ZTE needs to address what (if any) of their models are affected.

• Yes they do. A fix needs to be forthcoming, security is important.

• aexcorpaexcorp Posts: 18 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was my impression as well after reviewing the spec sheet for the 820.

If that's the case, ZTE should just come out and state that this is the case (or simply that the Axon 7 isn't using a Broadcom WiFi chipset), so we can close the chapter on this. In any case, this is apparently fixed as part of the April security patch, so when ZTE releases it, we should all be safe no matter what chipset is used.