Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Does the fingerprint sensor on your current Smartphone meet your needs?

AerospacemanAerospaceman Z-Community AdministratorUnited StatesPosts: 1,422 admin

The Consumer Lab would like to know your answer..  Do you have any reservations or concerns when using the fingerprint scanner?  Would a Live Finger Detection make you feel better about using your fingerprint?

For those who are unfamiliar with what Live Finger Detection(LFD) means, it is a new technology that has been developed to stop access to your device thru the fingerprint sensor by using artificial means ie.. fake finger tips made from silicone, rubber, Play-Doh, etc..  If ZTE were to include this new technology in their devices would this be of interest to you and make your decision to purchase a ZTE device easier?  Please let us know your honest opinion.  All feedback is very helpful for the Consumer Lab team.

Comments

• chrsnchrsn New YorkPosts: 217 ✭✭✭✭✭

The scanner I've used on an S6 and Note 5 have both met my needs. Their snappy, quick, and most importantly accurate. Rarely do I have to try twice, and I think that's the biggest reason I keep using it.

Although LFD sounds amazing security wise, I'm not sure it will gain public traction initially. Not everybody has the resources to create fake fingerprints, and after asking this innocuously to a few people with an iPhone 6s, I can confirm at least a few others don't think fake fingerprints are a huge issue as opposed to sensor speed/accuracy.

Now for business customers and corporate accounts, as well as high end smartphone configurations I really think this could help sell as a unique feature to that market. I know a few others that have corporate phones and hate the ridiculous PIN's they have to memorize for the sake of "security" since their phones have company files on them. LFD would definitely help in that vein and be a selling point to people who don't just want it for the cool factor but 'need' it.

TLDR: Regular consumers - Won't matter much; Power Users/Businesses - Might be a good selling point, especially if bundled with services aside from unlocking the phone from ZTE.

• drsaidalavidrsaidalavi Dibba, Fujairah, U.A.EPosts: 15

I would like to have life finger sensor detection on Axon 7. It give extra security to the device. But the problems with this method of unlocking is that ,we can't enjoy the mind pleasing swiping effects while unlocking the device. So my request is the developers should find a way to retain the swiping effects like water ripples, bubbles, ink effects  while unlocking using finger print button.

Thank You

• delle17delle17 North Carolina, United StatesPosts: 730 ✭✭

I would love this in some of ZTE devices. This will set the standard in innovation with fingerprint reading.

• AerospacemanAerospaceman Z-Community Administrator United StatesPosts: 1,422 admin

​  Thank you for your reply.  This is the type of honest feedback we are looking for.

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,618 mod

I think for the average person the extra security would be overkill, are a cost. I agree, as it was already said, geared towards the business world, and this feature may do very well.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,253 mod

I do not currently have a device with a fingerprint scanner that I use personally so I can not comment on that. However hearing about this new "Live Finger Detection(LFD)" intrigues me...I think anything you can do to get an edge over the competition the better. I'm just not sure how much of an issue it is with people actually using fake fingertips in an attempt to circumvent the fingerprint readers security....I don't feel like I keep anything earth shattering on my device that someone would ever go to those lengths for but it is obviously possible. If the new technology is more secure than the standard fingerprint scanner I'm sure there are plenty of people who would prefer going with ZTE for having implemented an enhanced security feature with LFD.

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,072 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Having a more secure fingerprint scanner is a great selling point. However you have to make sure it's also as fast as the others. Even if it's more secure many people will complain if it takes 2 more seconds to unlock their phone. If it can be as fast and still offer better security against fakes that would be ideal.

I'd still love to see more features brought to the scanner like Huawei does. They add all kinds of gestures like swipe down for your notification shade, swipe up for recent apps. swiping to the side to go through photos, even a long press to bring you back to the home screen. I feel like these take full advantage of the placement of the scanner especially on large phones. It makes the fingerprint scanner more than a one trick pony.

• hiker75hiker75 FloridaPosts: 108

I have had a fingerprint sensor on 2 of my phones, Galaxy S5 and Galaxy S7 Edge.  The S5 I thought was cool as it was my first interaction with it.  However, after getting the Edge, the fingerprint sensor seems to be a lot more seamless.  The quick response is what I enjoy and the fact that on the Edge I can just place my fingerprint on it and it unlocks.  (With the S5, I had to actually swipe).

That said, I think the LFD does seem interesting, although I would probably not have that as any sort of deal breaker.  If the price is similar or even in the same ballpark, I'd probably go with it if the feature was quick and accurate.  However, as mentioned by ​ above, I think that this would be more of an interest on a business level rather than general consumers.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Most of the limitatins I experience with fingerprint scanners, have been on the software side. The learning mode that android used by default, is too short. you do not get enough chances to touch the sensor in all of the ways you might touch it during day to day usage, thus you get false negatives sometimes.

Fingerprint scanners, need a method of scanning your finger print over the course of a few hours in order to build a more complete profile, e.g., the user manually enables the extended learning mode, and the scanner, tells them to only use the same finger, then for next few hours, it will accept all fingerprints, and optimize the profile. The user will then have a scanner with fewer false negatives.

Beyond that, methods of mitigating the use of fake fingerprints, will be useful, though it will not be to an extent where it would push the average user over to the device.

I feel that may be needed, is an emergency lock print, e.g., your index finger unlocks the phone, but your middle finger tells the phone to demand the full password to unlock. This is useful, because you can be legally compelled to give up a finger print, but you can't be compelled to give a password (5th Amendment).

​ I really like the ideas you mentioned regarding implementing gestures to the scanner, they would be very useful and appreciated by all I 'm sure.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

At the moment, the fingerprint readers I've tried (iPhone 5S, iPhone 6 Plus, Samsung Galaxy Note 5, and iPhone 6S) meets my need, as it seems to be accurate and fast. Fast and accurate is the main selling point to mainly consumer that are using a fingerprint reader to access the phone, as it does seem a lot faster than a swipe pattern, pin (4 or 6 digit), or password. All the fingerprint reader needs to do is be secured, fast, accurate, and easy to use for the average consumer, as an average consumer, I wouldn't worry about people copying your fingerprint to access the phone, as it is pretty hard to copy a fingerprint with the limited resource of an average person have.

A Live Finger Detection reader would be nice to have, as long as it is accurate and fast like the current fingerprint readers out there. From what you are saying that it is harder/stops access for fake fingerprints brings more security to the phone and letting the user know that the phone is secure is a peace of mind. But if including a Live Finger Detection means an increase in cost of a phone, it might not be worth it to the average consumer if the standard fingerprint reader does the job for most and at the moment, secure enough.

Live Finger Detection technology definitely seems like it would be great for business/corporate/government officials to have, as it will take a lot more time to figure a way to hack it/allow access compared to traditional fingerprint readers at the moment. Maybe include Live Fingerprint Detection technology on phones more focused for "professional" (business/corporate/government/etc.) customers, as security seems to be a big selling point to most companies.

• hispihispi NetherlandsPosts: 8

All fingerprint's are quite accurate, and I also think you secure your phone just for people who are not far away, and not for the goverment. And, as said, all this advanced fingerprint technology will make it expensive.

• dasm1078dasm1078 OrlandoPosts: 157

I currently own a phone that does not have this feature but I feel that it is awesome and very secure.

I am also curious to see what samsung brings to the table as far as Iris Scanner and how accurate and speedy it is to unlock a phone.

• davedave Ingolstadt, GermanyPosts: 84

While I don't have a fingerprint reader on my current phone (Nexus 5), I won't buy any new phone that doesn't feature one.

I've tested both a Galaxy S7 edge and a Huawei Mate 8 and found the Mate 8's reader better than the one on the S7 edge. And I mean that in regard to both the placement (on the back) and the functionality.

But I have to say that for me it wouldn't have any impact on my buying decision whether it has this LFD tech or not as I am no  'business user' and therefore I don't have any classified files or anything on my phone. My friends and the average Joe won't be able to unlock the phone anyway as getting my fingerprint and rebuilding it to actually being able to unlock my phone with it will never happen.

The thing I am looking forward to the most (in regard of fingerprint tech or security tech in general) is the implementation of Sense ID where you don't see the fingerprint reader. Then you could easily put it on the front as well (below the screen) and it wouldn't look as hideous as the fingerprint reader on the HTC 10 looks. Additionally you don't need that ugly home button of Samsung devices (I like on screen buttons way more). That feature may have an impact on my buying decision.

• jamesjames Pennsylvania, USAPosts: 423

LFD is, in my opinion, an important step forward for device security. My Lumia doesn't have a fingerprint sensor, but after using one on an S7 I can't imagine buying a phone without one. We keep our credit card information on our phones, not to mention banking info and important email and apps, PayPal included, and for small business owners who can't afford/don't want enterprise devices, an additional layer of security would be welcome. Keeping customer data and contact information secure is very important, obviously.

I also like ​'s idea for an emergency lock using a different finger, causing the phone to go into full password mode, as this would mitigate our loss of 4th Amendment rights with current fingerprint-secured devices. From what I've read, LFD involves some kind of optical sensor working in conjunction with the typical capacitive fingerprint sensor, which may require more accuracy from the user. I'd appreciate this option on a phone provided it allows for fast and accurate set up that is as easy to use as the current sensors.

The emergency locking sounds like a terrific idea!

I really like the idea of a retinal scan or voice command for answering calls when the phone can't be physically handled. For example, when I'm out in the shop applying finish to a piece I can't touch my phone, unless I want to get stain and varnish all over it. Having an option for hands-free answering of calls and texts when the phone is placed into Hands-Free Mode. Of course, this is a bit off-topic in this thread.

As far as security, I believe Android needs to up it's game, but if OEMs can one-up each other it could make all the difference for security-minded buyers, especially if it only adds $10 or $15 per device and moves other OEMs in a similar direction.

• louisdlouisd Arguer in Chief United StatesPosts: 1,166 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

My current device (the Moto X Pure) doesn't have a finger print scanner, but we have a couple of Nexus 5Xs in the family which have fast, accurate scanners.  Do they work?  Yes.  Are they vulnerable?  Yes.  Do we care?  No.  Neither I, nor my family, keep national security secrets on our phones and the vulnerabilities of finger print scanners, PINs, the OS itself, etc don't concern us too much.  Would LFD be a step forward: Yes  Would we pay more for a phone or select a phone specifically because of it? Unlikely.

• reoreo North AmericaPosts: 167

Works on my laptop.  LFD would be welcome improvement on phone or laptop.  How about implementing  phone's LFD to validate other equipment's use?

• darntonmdarntonm Las Vegas, NVPosts: 109

I don't even use mine, so I've hardly noticed.  I like the idea of it being on the back though instead of the home button on my Note 4.

• I've been using a Nexus 6p for awhile now and am definitely satisfied with my fingerprint scanner altho I wish more 3rd party apps took advantage of it...

​I think that a voice command feature would be useful, I also fund my self in situation working in the garage or with my tools and can't or don't want to touch my phone to get it dirty and definitely see a use for it. I also like to do some wood working, mainly I've remodeled some of my previous homes and stained trim and railings, etc, I haven't really done much custom built wood working but have friends that have full wood working shops in their basements or garage, very impressive. I am a detailed oriented person and appreciate it when people/manufactures pay extra attention to every last detail. YES, it's all in the details

Indeed, ​! The more ways we can interact with our devices, the better. "Active Listening," or "Always On Virtual Assistant," is a feature I hope the Axon 7 employs. "Hey Cortana," and "Okay, Google" are incredibly helpful hands-free features that can be activated for those who aren't overly paranoid, or left deactivated by those who don't want or need to use it. I use Cortana's hand-free features on my Lumia when I'm the shop, but it's very limited on my device since my Lumia doesn't have the technology for Active Listening. I can respond to texts that come in, and Cortana will tell me who's calling, but I can't initiate a call, text, email, or web search without physically handling the device. I can't answer a call or email without physically handling the device, either.
    Being able to initiate phone calls, skype calls, text, email, web searches, music play, and app launches via voice commands would add a whole new level of convenience that I, for one, would appreciate beyond the ability to express.

I love the idea of having a multi functional fingerprint scanner!!

• 02busa02busa United StatesPosts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I agree on both points, I don't really use mine. When I do use one though, I very much prefer it to be on the back of the device.

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

I don't have one now but I would love one for mobile banking purposes

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would love it, if it would add to security.

I use the scanner on my Nexus 6P most and love it.

• Seems to me like gadgetry overkill. I'm not a secret agent and just need a phone.

This discussion has been closed.