Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Does the fingerprint sensor on your current Smartphone meet your needs?

Comments

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,812 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have one of the newer Huawei model phones with rear FP scanner.
    I actually have no complaints at all about it. It is very quick and accurate, and Huawei has implemented a lot of secondary actions
    that you can do by swiping and tapping the FP scanner too, and it's probably one of their best features.

As far as LFD is concerned it does sound great, and I'd certainly be happy using it, but I wonder how much it would drive the price of the phone up.
    One scenario could be to use standard FP scanners in mid-range models, and use LFP in your flagship models.
    On the other hand, you could really impress the market by adding LFD to ALL of future ZTE phones and market
    them as some of the most secure phones on the market.

• warunawaruna sri LankaPosts: 2

my device has fingers print facility. it is very helpful when unlocke phone.otherwise we have to spend on time to draw pattern.when phone is on hand FPrint location is very easy to reach. but when phone is on the desk or someplace, we have to take it to my hand and unlock. Axon elite is my device and it my first finger print facility phone. it is helpful for me.

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Bank of America has added the FP scanner to their app. Now, logging in is as easy a pie.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The FPS on the the Honor 5X is top notch.  It's fast, accurate and nobody that's try has gotten it unlocked accidentally. It's multifucntion as well. If I can add all of that in AND add more security with Live Finger Detection, it's a no-brainer. But I will add that you fail to mention any sort of cost that it would add.  So to say yes without knowing a price range would be premature. A few bucks, no problem.  An extra $25 or even more? I'd have to know more about how it would exactly work .

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,614 mod

I have never had a phone with a finger print scanner. I am anxious to check it out.

• ddrakeddrake Alpharetta, GAPosts: 318 ✭✭✭

work iPhone 6 finger print reader is great.  Easy to setup and fast to unlock.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,248 mod

Me too! Can't wait!

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think LFD is a great concept, but in reality it would never be the factor that makes me choose one phone over another. And if it made the phone more expensive even by a marginal amount, it would more likely end up deterring me from that phone.

There are two kinds of people I want to keep my phone secure from: my kids and thieves. Neither one of them is going to have anything like the kind of sophistication or motivation to make a fake fingerprint, and they'd be sorely disappointed with the payload if they went through the trouble to do so. I think it's much much more important to put the extra investment into a fingerprint scanner that is fast and reliable.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,812 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It definitely changes the user experience for the better. You are going to love it.

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

Not a selling point for me but it is wicked cool

• 02busa02busa United StatesPosts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, I don't really use them; but prefer it on the back if the device has one. FP scanner is by no means a deal breaker for me.

• For me just another gadget to raise cost. If someone goes to that much trouble to get the $3.62 in my bank account let em have it. They probly need it more than I.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

For me it's more the convenience of not having to enter a password or a pin since my company forces me to use one because of apps I use with company data.

• oldirtyewokoldirtyewok Champlain, NYPosts: 165

Fiiinnger priiinnnt sennnnnsorrr??  what is that?

Seriously, my Aging S4 did not come equipped with such sorcery.

however, I am quite excited to finally unlock my phone without having to enter a pin, or swipe.  Axon 7 don't let me down!

If it's as fast as they say it is, all the better.  my wife's 6 plus sensor seems pretty slow and not always accurate.

• jamesjames Pennsylvania, USAPosts: 423

The fingerprint sensor on the S7 is lightning fast, so I'm betting the A7 will be equally fast. That sensor was awesome to use for the short time I had the S7. I'm definitely looking forward to having a phone with such wicked sorcery!

• chuckbortchuckbort Chuck United StatesPosts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I currently have an LG G4 which doesn't have a fingerprint sensor. I wish that it did.

• micahdubosemicahdubose Rock Hill SCPosts: 133

On my s7 Edge, it most certainly does! On my LG V10 when I had that, it was good and I heard it got better with the 6.0.1 update.

• chuckbortchuckbort Chuck United StatesPosts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would be very interested in this technology.

• sigmarsigmar CT, USAPosts: 43 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not have concerns with using fingerprint scanners on phones, I think they are a very useful feature considering how convenient they are compared to a pattern or pin. There is also lots of evidence that phones today are more secure than several years ago, because people that would have used no lock pin are now using fingerprint scanners to lock their phones. Even though scanners can be fooled, they are better than nothing.

I agree with the sentiment expressed by a few other users that LFD seems like overkill. and if someone is determined enough to use silicone, they will probably find a way to get around whatever checks LFD would perform. I would not support adding this featyre unless it was very cost efficient.

I agree! Nothing and I mean nothing is 100% safe and secure. There is always the potential of someone smarter and determined trying to steal your information. However that being said we can't make it easy on them and trying to constantly improve security measures and refine are current ones are steps in the right direction.

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

wait.....do you mean nothing lol?

lol YES :)

• 3oaksbassets3oaksbassets West VirginiaPosts: 3

If the scanner on your Note 4 works like the one on my Note 4 - two phones ago - I don't blame you for not using it. Mine worked about once every 5 or 6 tries. I finally gave up and turned it off. That was the sorriest excuse for a security feature I've ever seen. My husband currently has a Nexus 6P and the scanner on that is flawless. I'm looking for the same great performance on my new Axon 7. While the LFD sounds like a good security upgrade, if it doesn't work as seamlessly as the Nexus 6P scanner or if it increases the price of the phone, I would probably not be interested.

• keshijikeshiji ChilePosts: 68

I've tried the S5, S6 Edge and iPhone 6 Plus fingerprint sensors and the S6 and iPhone were decent but still had issues (they should've been omnidirectional and more precise) on the other hand the S5 one is horrendous as its super innacurate, slow and frustrating to use most of the times..

• jamesjames Pennsylvania, USAPosts: 423

The S7 is very fast and accurate, but I can't vouch for any other phone. From what's been written about the Axon 7, it should be equally fast and accurate.

• oldirtyewokoldirtyewok Champlain, NYPosts: 165

I'm curious and don't want to know all at the same time... 

Why would your fingers be wet when trying to use fingerprint sensor.

This discussion has been closed.