Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Does the fingerprint sensor on your current Smartphone meet your needs?

Comments

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United States Posts: 4,627 mod

I wasn't going to ask...lol

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United States Posts: 4,627 mod

​ uh huh, we believe ya

• jamesjames Pennsylvania, USAPosts: 423

​'s new nickname: Ole Moist Finger

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This conversation went downhill fast.

Not up to my usual very high standards. LOL.

That's what I do. If there's a community that needs some devaluation, I'm your man!

LOVE IT

I always say, when I'm able to get someone to bring forth a bad pun, "Glad I was able to drag you down to my level."

Them's fightin' words! I try to maintain the lowest level possible... well, the lowest level possible that allows for respect in mixed company, anyway. 

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

hahahahahahahaha

• gagdudegagdude Chicago, ILPosts: 2 ✭✭✭✭

The fingerprint sensor on my Nexus 5X meets my needs. The screen doesn't need to be on for it to register my finger, the placement (on the back) is perfect, and it is fast and accurate.

LFD sounds nice, but I don't feel it would be necessary for most people. I don't really have anybody willing to go through those methods just to get into my phone. As such, I would not care if my phone did not include it. I would also be annoyed if my phone included it and the manufacturer had to significantly increase the price or the battery life took a considerable hit. Otherwise, the inclusion would be nice.

• Really don't have a need for a finger print sensor. Just using a swipe to unlock my current phone.

• osmosizosmosiz USA - NJPosts: 250

When I had the S7 edge,t he fingerprint was good. all i need it to do is unlock the phone and also log in into my apps. I know the app log in has to do with the developers but would love that other functionality

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would prefer Qualcomm's ultrasonic fingerprint reader over a LFD sensor

• dabehrsdabehrs Dripping Springs, TexasPosts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wife and I both have Samsung Galaxy Tab S models with scanners and we do not use them. On this device the issue is the placement and the reliability in results. With small children we have Otterbox Defender series cases and they make it a challenge to access the scanner consistently.

We also purchased and returned the Note 4 for many reasons but one was the function of the sensor similar to the above.

I like the idea of a live finger sensor that uses both the print and confirmation of pulse or temp but it would not be a deciding factor for purchase. Might be a neat gadget but it's not a must have.

Can you explain the difference? If not i can Google...

Qualcomm's reader is able to read a print even with wet fingers. It's 3D ultrasonic technology that can detect whether, or not, it's a live print. Meaning, one reader can do a better job than an LFD/print reader combination... at least that's the claim.

Thank you, I was having a lazy moment and didn't want to google... too busy working towards 5000 pts before the end of month

HAHA! No problem! 3700+ points! Looks like you'll do it!

I was at 1700 when we starting this rampage with

I think a few people gave up trying to meet the points requirement - they just didn't realize how easy it is to get to 5000.

It can be done so easy based on what I'm seeing today.

• This, plus I read an article recently where someone actually spoofed a fingerprint using a printer. The phone took it! Just printed off their fingerprint and the phone recognized it. So definitely wanting to try out the ultrasonic. Seems a lot more secure.

Yup, I currently use a Windows phone, which doesn't offer the convenience/insecurity of a fingerprint reader, but I'm looking forward to that level of convenience.

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

Which windows phone?

Some times a convenience is not so convenient if it doesn't perform as expected...

The Lumia 928. It was quick and responsive for the first year, or so, but she's a tired old dog, now.

, that's very true. I remember when the fingerprint sensors first came out and everyone was bitching that they didn't work properly. Hell, a friend of mine locked herself out of her brand new phone because she couldn't remember the password Alltel set for her and her fingerprint reader wouldn't work. She actually had to get a new phone from Alltel, because the clerk couldn't unlock the phone. The good old days, back when the tech was new and people didn't quite understand it.

My in laws have a fingerprint front door....  Hardly works correctly and have been locked out of their own house needing to get in and to the lavatory.  Can you imagine?

This discussion has been closed.