Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Share your VR experience with the Consumer Lab team.

AerospacemanAerospaceman Z-Community AdministratorUnited StatesPosts: 1,424 admin

We know that there has been a lot of talk in the forums about VR, but the Consumer Lab team wants to pick your brain a little more and make this official.  Please share any experience you have had with a VR system.  Don't be brand shy.  We really want to know what you think about VR.  Do you enjoy using it, is there a certain device you think has all the features needed?  We know that VR technology is growing fast and we want to use your opinions and suggestions on helping ZTE make a great VR experience for our users!!

Comments

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,618 mod

I have no experience beyond a couple of  youtube videos. I have been trying to find as much information as possible about ZTE's VR headset, and it seems most headsets right now, are all very similar, or at least they seem to be to me.

• delle17delle17 North Carolina, United StatesPosts: 730 ✭✭

I really enjoy the VR experience on a Samsung VR headset that I was given. It's really amazing all you can do it VR. I can picture myself investing in VR headsets in the near future. I also had the pleasure of testing out the Sony's new VR that was released at E3 and I was blown away with excitement. I will never forget the feeling after I used that VR product line by sony. I never realized how fast the VR market is expanding and how important it would play in day to day consumers lives till E3 event. One thing I loved about the Sony VR experience is the different accessories it comes with like the controller toggle also the Aim controller. It makes the experience even better. I am sure if ZTE wants to be a contender in VR market they have to give use something different than the other key players are offering just like you did with the Axon phone lineup.

"A Phone made entirely with you (me) in mind!"

Never Settle

#ZTE #AXON-7

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

I loved the Samsung VR, if ZTE had one i would buy it. It'd be awesome if they had like google earth for it, so you could see yourself in any part of the world.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have much experience with VR either. I only have a Google Cardboard and I've used it for a few YouTube video and it seems to be okay, but not really necessary to watch it with a VR. I've downloaded some VR apps from Google and explore those, it was educational I guess? I really just downloaded it to try how VR works but I'm really not amazed by VR yet and think it's still a few year away until it will become mainstream.

• AerospacemanAerospaceman Z-Community Administrator United StatesPosts: 1,424 admin

Everyone keep these ideas coming.  As with the rest of the community this is a no judgement space and we want your honest opinion!!

• catman25catman25 Auburn nyPosts: 41

I went out and bought google cardbord for me and my 2 boys for xmas.  We were all sitting down using them and well we were floored but my gf videos all us moving around the same way using the rollercoaster program.  We all started at the same time so it was like a bunch of cats  watching  something.  All our heads  turn left.  Right.  Up down lol.  But i am way i to vr.  I can't afford  the big players but im hoping for  a cheaper option that's better then  my current  google cardboard

• maulgandhimaulgandhi United StatesPosts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am in particular always excited about the new technology. When Google gave out Cardboard VR at Google I/O couple years ago, I was so fascinated and wanted to try out, so I bought myself a cardboard and at first it looked cool with the demo and few supported apps, but it got boring. The content is very limited at this point, I hope to see more apps and development in the near future.  Now moving on 2016 and we have VR headsets from HTC ($799), Oculus ($599) , Samsung VR ($99), LG VR ($199) and Nokia (not the headset, but whopping $60k Virtual Reality Camera), these companies are out of their mind, I understand this is new technology and a lot of time & resources has been invested in making it better, but the price these companies asking for, for their version of VR headset is ridiculously high. But some of you may say I can play games on HTC Vive and Oculus Rift, so can I, on Google Cardboard with one simple app. I can't recall the name of the app, but what this team has done is that your PC does all the work, and your phone just has to stream the content using the app, and voila; VR gaming on your cheap Google Cardboard. I really like what Alcatel and Google have done for their phones, I hope to see the same from ZTE. Nobody, except a very few people, is going to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollar for VR headset when the content is limited.

• arysynarysyn IllinoisPosts: 1,067

Considering my interest in vr, I'm surprised I don't have any recent experience with it. Hopefully that will change this year though. I'm planning on getting the vr headset for the Axon 7, if the vr headset becomes available here in the U.S. Otherwise, I'm also planning to get a vr-capable laptop/notebook computer this year which then I'll have more choices for vr.

​ I guess this is more of a question about VR than, an experience. First off I  have several google cardboard things laying around, and for some reason it really didn't click with me as being VR, more like enchanced 3d glasses. I have read a couple articles over the last year, about VR tech devices, but didn't really get to in-depth or excited until I saw ZTE  is putting out a  VR headset. I assumed these were just for games, and maybe some movies, but I was surprised at all the information I found. I think it would be awesome to watch a concert in VR, or climb a mountain.  So my question I guess is this, (please excuse the wording)  how VR intensive are these smart phone based headsets compared to other headsets. Obviously the smartphone is designed to be a do all device, and is definitely capable of muti-media, but how does it compete, or differ, or does it need to , when you see devices like oculus rift, or even playstation. I am really excited about this technology, even more excited that ZTE is getting involved!

• AerospacemanAerospaceman Z-Community Administrator United StatesPosts: 1,424 admin

​  I am in the same boat as youy.  I have only ever used Google cardboard.  It was ok but more of a gimmick to me.  It sounds like VR is going to make some huge leaps here soon.  Maybe someone who has used current VR technology besides cardboard can chime in.

Do you know if the ZTE Headset will be offered here in the US?

Unfortunately we nave no information on the VR headset.  There is more info out about the AXON 7 than the VR headset.

That's not much...lol. You gotta get us inside secrets

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've used the Oneplus "VR goggles" which are really just a comfortable version of the Google Cardboard ones.  No on-board sensors or buttons. I've watched some videos and demos, but that really about it.

Well hopefully someone here will come clue us all in. It looks like it is going to be a very excited year in VR technology!

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have very little experience.  Google Cardboard and a couple of other very cheap VR headsets that I put on my channel. Watched a few You Tube videos and played a few games from the Play Store.

Also had a demo of HTC Vive at last fall's Big Android BBQ. 

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

how was the htc vive?

Unbelievably awesome. By far the most immersive experience.

I just don't have a room to devote to it. Assuming someone wanted to buy me one. LOL.

• delle17delle17 North Carolina, United StatesPosts: 730 ✭✭

Maybe if we wear sunglasses, a hat and a dark trench coat he will tell us.

TopSecretLogo-jpg..jpg

"A Phone made entirely with you (me) in mind!"

Never Settle

#ZTE #AXON-7

​ lol right

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I own a generic cardboard-style vr headset. I found it to be a fun novelty, but once the novelty wore off there was no compelling reason to continue using it. The available content (games, youtube movies) all feel like tech demoes without any lasting appeal or substance. The market is also incredibly crowded, both on the low end and on the high end, so differentiation is going to be crucial. Since content (or the lack thereof) is the major weak point, I think if ZTE wants to get ahead of the pack, it will be crucial to include content with the hardware. Even a single game, if it were good enough to stand up to repeated game play, could make all the difference.

• ddrakeddrake Alpharetta, GAPosts: 318 ✭✭✭

I have not used VR headsets at all.  I have a friend that has a Samsung Galaxy and they showed me some videos with VR, which I thought it was pretty cool.  On more of a general level, I think the concept is very interesting, but haven't actually adopted the technology yet. 

• eminayeminay United StatesPosts: 29 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used Google Cardboard briefly and I was impressed. But seeing all the high-end VR definitely makes me want to upgrade my experience. Cardboard is just for looking around, as is Gear VR, but this does it better, from what I hear due to being an actual device and not a holder. Daydream looks to be a good advancement of mobile VR with simple interactions, though it honestly should have two controller support for each hand. HTC Vive seems to be king of immersion right now, but the cost of entry is too high. The location tracking and motion controllers would be very fun. And of course, Oculus was the big one over the years that really jump started all this VR business.

I think, very shortly, by next year, the ultimate VR would be a Kinect-like sensor for location tracking and full-body (skeletal) tracking, possibly in addition to motion controllers. On the mobile front, the inevitable convergence of Daydream and Project Tango would make a great VR/AR combination, bringing spatial tracking, among other things, to mobile.

But the important part in all this, especially VR, is to have a cross-compatible VR system, and right now, only Google seems to be doing so with Daydream. I feel OEMs should help improve Daydream in conjunction with Google, rather than making their own, slightly different, less supported alternative. If ZTE has some good ideas for VR, try to get them added to Daydream. If Samsung wants to bring some of their experience from the Gear VR, they should and make the next Gear VR a Daydream-compatible device.

Right now, you need a high-end video card to do VR on PC, but I'm sure by next year, NVIDIA will have made a Tegra chip that can do a lot of the same on a mobile device. Basically, what the HTC Vive can do now running on a Geforce GTX 970/980/1070/1080, I can see mobile doing in a year or two, and do it even better (with slight degradation in graphics, because, let's be real). And that will be awesome. And I'm sure at that point, high-end consumer VR will be even more immersive with a higher cost of entry (360 degree treadmill, improved multiplayer experiences, force feedback gloves and wearables, etc.).

Excellent points. Especially about Daydream and ZTE.

• eminayeminay United StatesPosts: 29 ✭✭✭✭✭

What I mean about Google Cardboard is that it was like a gateway drug. Now I want more VR and better VR!

• brpbrp USAPosts: 27

Gear vr is nice. I don't think it's worth $100 but I like the content they have with NEXTVR.  They are working with them to provide live sports streaming. That is what interests me is the live sports content. Need something that I not too expensive$50-$100 that has the content to make the purchase worth the money.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

My VR experience has been limited to a single use of the oculus rift, and owning a basic ritech VR enclosure for a smartphone.

VR on the smartphone has a long way to go. With many of the goggles, there is very little focus on improving the FOV, and basically none o the ones that I have seen, have implemented a cooling design for the smartphone. I feel that for a smartphone to provide a good VR experience, the enclosure also needs to have some kind of thermal pad, and heatsink to provide additional cooling for the. Without that, I have noticed that after a few minutes, the smartphone begins to throttle, but If I take a thermal pad and place it on top of a metal sheet (cover of a CD drive that I took apart CD-drive1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!  ) , and simply rest a device like the axon pro on top of that, I can repeatedly run a benchmark and not encounter reduced scores from throttling.

Why are there no VR enclosures which can incorporate a simple heat spreader? while the room was cold at the time, without the heat spreader, temperatures were hotter. A heat spreader can mean the difference between a phone handling extended VR gameplay without throttling, or the SOC hitting 45C, and deciding that it needs to run at like 500MHz in the middle of a game.

Axon pro with a CD drive cover acting as a heat spreader. It basically handles a stress test, without much of an increase in temperature. A partially metal headset with a thermal pad could accomplish the same.

thermals.pngscore.png

My experience with the oculus rift, was a dev kit, and the experience was quire bad as tracking was less consistent than even google cardboard, and the screen door effect was much more intense, though the FOV was better.

It is likely light years better now, and I hope to test a modern VR system soon.

• I've used Google Cardboard with my Oneplus One and was amazed at how immersive it was considering its so low tech. Roller coaster simulator and a horror game actually got my pulse racing even though the graphics were basic and the screen is a bit low res. I can't wait to try out a Vive or Rift or see how Android Daydream develops.

• arysynarysyn IllinoisPosts: 1,067

I just remembered that I have an Olympus Eye-Trek. Although, I wouldn't necessarily consider that vr.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,254 mod

Unfortunately I have zero experience with VR. I'm hoping this changed when ZTE's headset is available in the U.S. then I will definitely pair it up with my Axon 7 and look forward to experiencing what all the fuss is about.  

This discussion has been closed.