Good camera lens kits?

I just got my Axon 7 and I love it. Great phone. However, I would like some lenses for the camera - I'm a photography student and while my current class does not require a DSLR or even the extra lenses, I think they'd create some cool effects. I ordered the Camkix Universal lens set, but the lens holder blocks the flash, so I'm sending it back. I know that there are several other lens options, but my worry is that they will still cover the flash. The flash is pretty close to the camera lens and those clips look like they are pretty thick. Can anyone recommend a set?

Best Answer

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

I don't remember the brand but the ones that I had were the clip on type that didn't cover the lense on the A7. Most clip on ones should work with the A7 since the flash is below the lense.

Answers

I can't recommend any particular lenses. I bought a set of 3 and I don't remember the company but they made pictures worse.

• jasonejasone TennesseePosts: 817 ✭✭✭

I've always wanted to try out some lenses but I've never bought any. You do have to watch the quality though like Jim mentions it can make the photos worse. It depends on the quality of the glass that was used. I'm curious if anyone out there has a good recommendation as well.

• Here is a review of most likely the best lenses you can get. The problem is you need a custom lens plate or modify one for the Axon 7.

Best Lenses for Smartphones and iPhones - Moment Lenses - YouTube

Reign of Colors - Moment Macro lens - YouTube

• I've heard of Moment lenses. I wanted to get a set, but they are unfortunately geared towards the iPhone. In their shop right now, you can't even get a case for them that isn't iCrap based.

I understand that it's possible I won't LIKE a particular lens kit. But what I'm asking is if there are any out there that will even fit the Axon 7 without covering the flash? Will the clip on kind work? There are some that are pretty highly rated.

• saeedtedsaeedted TexasPosts: 544 ✭✭

I got the ones made by Aukey or (was it Anker?) for $10. I really liked the macro lens; I was expecting big things from the wide-angle lens but I didnt like the 'vignetting' at the border of my images. I wouldn't spend more on lens options for the camera on the Axon 7.

• kmb877kmb877 Posts: 114

I believe you shall ask your photography professors first.

• kevinmcmurtriekevinmcmurtrie Silicon Valley areaPosts: 221

Save your money for a point'n'shoot or a used DSLR.  Some cameras will integrate with a phone over WiFi or USB, if that's what you'd like.

You'd be putting a bad lens hack on top of a phone camera that already suffers from focus hunting, poor dynamic range, and dust contamination.   You'll also lose some optical image stabilization because the mechanical motion compensation will not be correct with anything altering the image.  Check lens attachment reviews online and you'll see that they're usually worse than digital zoom or digitally stitched panoramas.

I agree at least for the 3 piece set that I got. It made the pictures worse.