New Snapdragon 821/23

ryano'connorryano'connor Milwaukee, WI Posts: 16

Hearing this new Snapdragon processor tossed around lately -  would anyone be nervous to get a device with a new generation chipset without letting it prove itself first?   Considering the challenges had by the 810? 

Best Answer

• shibobyshiboby AppletonPosts: 121
    Accepted Answer

I'd give it a shot. worst case I could always root, unlock bootloader, and underclock or undervolt it to get the temperature down.

Answers

providing I can root and unlock bootloader on such a phone. but if I couldn't I wouldn't buy the phone.

• ryano'connorryano'connor Milwaukee, WI Posts: 16

thanks -  I've never done that to a phone before - i think its way out of my league.  I had no idea you could change that kind of technical hardware from the consumer side!

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,217 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't be worry too much... I assume that manufacturers would have worked with Qualcomm and following Qualcomm's requirement for cooling the processor, as I would think Qualcomm already did some internal testing before actually releasing it to manufacturers and then the manufacturers do their own testing and design the phone around the cooling usually.

• ryano'connorryano'connor Milwaukee, WI Posts: 16

thanks - all great things to know. 

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,524 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with you. It does not worry me either.

• louisdlouisd Arguer in Chief United StatesPosts: 1,133 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Also remember this is just an iterative step from the 820.  Rumors have it that it is structurally identical to the 820 with one difference, higher supported clock speeds.

if you have a rooted phone with ROM Toolbox Pro, you can (virtually) always underclock. You almost always need a custom kernel to do more advance things like overclock and undervolt/overvolt. That's always fairly simple using software like UKM, ROM Toolbox Pro, or other kernerl manager. It's fairly safe to underclock and undervolt. Worst case, you underclock too much and the phone won't boot. Then you just have to restore kernel defaults in the custom recovery you install when you unlock the bootloader. Check out XDA for lots of guides on tutorials on this!

• osmosizosmosiz USA - NJPosts: 250

No longer worried about processors anymore. they're all plenty fast and manage to get great battery life. It's all about the software optimization now. In the other hand, GPUs have a lot of space to grow.

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'd try it. I have two 810 phones and have had no problems with either.

• tietjetietje Telluride, coPosts: 84

I read the 821 and 823 are just over clocked 820. Can find the article anymore. But is stated it was not that much of an upgrade. I think the soc people need to focus on improving the GPU. I think that would be an amazing route to get better phone's

exactly, which is why we know if there are any heat or stability problems, we could just underclock and/or undervolt down to 820 levels

or even somewhere in between