It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
In case some people are having problems accessing the Internet on their phone, mostly due to their Access Point Name, also known as APN for short, this guide will be helpful to those who needs to change their APN settings. Although most phones now do auto-detect and set the APN, this guide is helpful for double checking the APN settings and for those who actually needs to change it in order for their phone to function correctly on a specific carrier when inserting a SIM card.
1. Since each phone menu settings are different, here is the basic location it should be in...
Setting -> More... or Mobile Networks/Data -> Mobile Networks -> Access Point Name -> New APN or "+"
2. Enter the APN settings in the field, for this example, I will show AT&T.
Proxy: [Not set/blank]
Port: [Not set/blank]
Username: [Not set/blank]
Password: [Not set/blank]
Server: [Not set/blank]
MMS proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS port: 80
Authentication Type: None
APN type: default, mms, supl, hipri
APN protocol: IPv4
3. Hit the Save button, be sure to save it! Otherwise, you might need to re-enter all the information again!
4. The phone should automatically reset their network by itself and find the signal. If not, try toggling the Airplane mode or rebooting the phone, which is normally recommended to do so.
5. Enjoy your new device with service!
Here are links to APN settings for some carriers, not going to list them all since you can always search on Google for yourself if it's not posted here :
Cricket (at the bottom of page): Bring Your Own Android | Cricket
FreedomPop Global (3G): Activating your phone GSM SIM card
Also, here are some of the settings for specific phones to get to the APN settings, but since each phone is different, it will vary. I'm sure you will understand where the APN should be located in, it's normally under mobile networks in the setting menu.
Nexus/stock Android: Settings -> More... -> Access Point Names -> Menu -> New APN
Samsung: Settings -> More networks -> Mobile networks -> Access Point Names -> "+"
LG: Settings -> Tethering & networks -> Mobile networks -> Access point names