[Android Tips] How To Increase Phone Performance

• Download and use an App Manager/Task Killer - This can clear temporary files and junk from your phone.
  • Don't use apps that are heavy in size that will run in the background
  • Turn off all animations - these take place when you change screens but when turned off the screen just pops into position.
  • Only sync your phone for services that really need it such as mail notifications.
  • Stay away from live wallpapers - these things drain your battery and slow your phone to a snail-like pace.
  • Don't use too many widgets - these run all the time whether in the background or on your main screen.
  • High speed memory cards are the way to go - Class 6 or Class 10 brings more performance to your device.
  • Regularly update apps - they will definitely run faster and usually perform better than outdated apps.
  • Disable unnecessary apps that you don't use but can't remove unless you root - they will probably run in the background in you don't.
  • Remove unwanted apps that you can remove without rooting - just frees up space and adds a bit more performance.
  • And finally update your device when an update is available

Thank you

Comments

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,630 mod

Very nice list ​ I use to buy cheapy sd cards, and never paid attention to the class rating until I bought a decent camera a few years back. I was surprised at the difference it really can make sometimes. It is worth the couple extra bux and does help everything run that little bit better!

• I appreciate it

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,630 mod

​ I'm also guilty of live wallpapers, but hey whatever works...lol

• I say if you make a compromise on anything, it could be live wallpapers lol. I had a koi fish live wallpaper for the longest.

• nnlllmmnnlllmm CanadaPosts: 30

Clear the data & cache of apps that accumulate a lot of data once in a while, deleted unused large files, remove Facebook and Messenger. The last one I saw on another site and was skeptical at first but it really made a difference in gaming performance for some reason (may not be necessary if you're only doing daily tasks).

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

​ Thanks for the tips!

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,257 mod

The class of the card definitely matters!! I noticed a huge difference when I updated my card form a class 4 I believe to a class 10, transfer speeds were so much faster!! Pretty much tripled if not more the transfer time!! 

• dabehrsdabehrs Dripping Springs, TexasPosts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a good list, the only challenge I have with it is the App Manager / Task Killer. My experience has mostly been that they can drain more battery than they save as they have a tendency to run in the background as well.  Not suggesting that it's a bad place to start but I feel like android and developers have gotten better about memory management in recent versions and the App Manager / Task Killer has become a little obsolete. A good example recently would be the OnePlus who came under fire for being so aggressive with the way the Three handles the 6gb of RAM.

Thanks for posting.

• rikkkurdrikkkurd United statesPosts: 318 ✭✭

Never use task managers on android, android will manage it's memory very well. This was only necessary on android 2.3 and below.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,663 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Great list, well done!

• beenwaitingforthisbeenwaitingforthis Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭✭

Use a custom kernel with optimizable settings if you are able to root - that can make a big difference for both performance and battery along with other options, and allows you to customize for what you need.

• dabehrsdabehrs Dripping Springs, TexasPosts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rijkaard I don't,  thus my above post.