Sd memory card format 20%

Hi all. I have a problem with my axon 7 running on b19 build. After inserting my memory card, the formatting process began but stopped at 20%. A few seconds later, pop up says done. Unfortunately the card did not format and when iItry again it remains stuck at 20%. I tried another card and formatting still at 20%. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Answers

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Have you tried formatting the card on a computer? Could be something wrong with the card... Where did you purchase the memory card from?

• These 2 memory cards, 32 and a 64 gb were bought at Staples. Tried to use each and format, as format process seems to be stuck at 20%. It seems like the format process is hung up,.

• adrbadrb Toronto, CanadaPosts: 719 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The SD cards come formatted. Why did you format, the phone gave you a message they are not formatted ?

Some no name cards are slow and low quality, I would recommend buying a brand name fast U3 speed card.

• nibiru2012nibiru2012 Austin TXPosts: 343 ✭✭✭✭✭

Return the SD cards to Staples and get something better.

These two cards seem to be defective.  Have Staples see if they can format them.

Always buy name brand SD cards such Samsung (my choice), Transcend, SanDisk, Patriot.

BTW, SanDisk and Samsung are the highest rated in most reviews and tests.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

A failure at 20% indicates the cards are not accepting writes. Normally when this happens, you will see an error message like this appear for a second or 2.

"command '47 volume partition disk:179,0 public, failed with 'null' "

If you can get a full refund, I recommend returning them, especially considering stores like staples and many other physical store locations, will charge considerably more for micro SD cards than online retailers, thus you end up often spending high end card prices for a low end card. While overall card speed is not as important when not using adoptable storage, a higher end card is more likely to use MLC flash instead of TLC or QLC flash, thus better write endurance, and more reliability long term.

• saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

PNY gives good value for money but I have had 2 fail cards on me this past year. Thankfully PNY have been honoring their lifetime warranty.

• I tried to install another memory card (16gb) and all three process remain the same. I think my phone did not complete the format process. I think it is the phone itself, iIdon't know.

If you have a computer, try formatting the card on the computer and see will that work. If I were you, I would return the microSD card you bought and go with some reputable memory card from Samsung, Sandisk, or others.

• I tried a memory card that I know is working, and still the same result.

Stuck @20%.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

If the card is verified working, meaning you can write a file to the card, close the folder, open the folder again, then reliably read the file (as the read only lockout of micro SD cards will accept writes but it will never commit them to the NAND), but is not working on the Axon 7, then I recommend checking if you can inspect the contacts in the card reader. Did any of the pins ever get dirty?

Were any non-standard configs ever done? For example, I have seen people try to place a micro SD card on top of a sim card, and then force it into the slot in an attempt to use 2 SIM cards in addition to a micro SD card (since from an alignment standpoint, the pins for all 3 are exposed), but end up damaging the contacts since the mechanisms in the slot are sized exactly for the thicknesses of the compatible cards.

If none of this has happened, and the contacts seem clean, then it could point to a defective reader.

• Thanks! I believe it is a defective card reader as you suggested. Any idea

what I should do now. Thanks again.

Contact ZTE support or if the phone is fairly recent/new (within 15 day or 30 day) and you bought it from a authorized retailer (e.g., B&H, Best Buy, Newegg, Amazon, etc.), try asking for an exchange.

• Thank you!