Blatant malware on the z988 ( grand x max 2 )

The touch pal keyboard that was factory installed has taken over my device after the latest update. No matter what i do i cant stop the thing from putting ads on my lock screen, and putting that stupid floating notification on the home screen. I have tried disabling the app from the settings tab as usual, but the disable option is not available. So i then tried to deny all permissions to the app, well that worked untill i rebooted the phone, then all the permissions were back the way they were before denying all permissions. I can not believe ZTE would allow this to happen, tech support had no answer at all, just pointed me here.

Answers

• samsamhasamsamha Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

hi, sea428. Welcome to the forum.

Have you try to set another keyboard like Gboard as your default keyboard? Try to download another keyboard from the playstore that you like to use and you can set it as your default keyboard. Afterwards, you can disable the touchpal.

• Thats the whole problem, i did put Gboard on from the playstore and its the default keyboard app. The settings menu will not let me disable TouchPal, so i tried the next best thing and deny all permissions to TouchPal, that works untill i restart my phone and the permissions are back to the default permissions again. Thats why i called it malware, changing my settings without my knowledge and forcing ads on my device. Does anyone have a method for unlocking the bootloader and rooting this phone so i can take controll back.

• samsamhasamsamha Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I do not have this device to play around with its setting. Though, typically under the Language and Keyboard/Input, you should have the option to select which virtual keyboard you want to enable. (on my axon 7, there is a setting called manage keyboards where I can enable and disable certain keyboard).

In addition, you could try go into app manager and choose all of the touchpal, clear the cache and data and if there is an option to disable it, you can also disable the keyboard there. Not all devices has the option to disable built in apps, but often if you clear the cache and data, it will wipe the presets and clear the settings, which may work.

• I have had this same problem with my Z988 since before the update. I have tried everything I could think of and nothing works as well.The constant button on my screen ( when you push takes you to an ad) drives me crazy. I've changed keyboards, tried to disable and uninstall updates....no matter what I have done it just comes back.

• Factory reset?

• I've seen several posts on the web about it being tied back to an installed app, so carefully review any apps recently installed or updated, that may be the culprit.

I'm not sure why you cannot switch keyboards, that seems like a given....

Another suggestion: via 'settings' > 'look and feel' > 'lucky locker'

• ricksheeleyricksheeley Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited July 14, 2017 3:40PM

As a follow-up, I looked at my Grand X4--- I have touchpal keyboard.... but no ads? I am on Cricket....

• IhatetouchpalIhatetouchpal Posts: 6 ✭✭✭✭

So this latest update is even worse for TouchPal. Just so people are clear this is not an issue of being unable to use another keyboard this is a bloatware issue that even when you use a different keyboard it remains active. Adds, floating icons on your home screen, just the worst. It will not allow you to uninstall it or disable it which is just ridiculous. I had to uninstall the updates for the app and then turn off automatic updates. How freaking annoying. It's the only way I can control it. This really needs to be addressed

• westside80westside80 KentuckyPosts: 5,268 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Ihatetouchpal said:
    So this latest update is even worse for TouchPal. Just so people are clear this is not an issue of being unable to use another keyboard this is a bloatware issue that even when you use a different keyboard it remains active. Adds, floating icons on your home screen, just the worst. It will not allow you to uninstall it or disable it which is just ridiculous. I had to uninstall the updates for the app and then turn off automatic updates. How freaking annoying. It's the only way I can control it. This really needs to be addressed

TouchPal sucks. Gboard is where it's at, or Chrooma, but Gboard is the best. I don't know why any company even adds TP to the phone. It sucks.

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 14,129 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

For everyone experiencing this problem first do like others have said and make a different keyboard the default keyboard. Then go to "apps" in the settings and click on TouchPal. If the option to disable it is not there then click on "data usage" and on the next screen turn off "Background data". See if that stops it.

• razor512razor512 New York Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 16, 2017 9:26PM

Examine every single app that is installed to make sure no adware is installed. If not rooted then often what some shady apps may do is find a way to trick you into into installing adware. For example, some will place a banner ad next to an area where you would want to click other buttons, thus increasing the likelihood that you would click on a malicious ad.
    Some adware will try to use a name that may seem like a common app, or even try to keep a similar name to a trusted app.

One of the more hard to detect tricks are malicious ad practices where they use an overlay to effectively mask the malicious intent.

These attacks leverage a feature of android, thus it cannot really be patched out, thus it is difficult to track down the source of a malicious install. it could be any app that has permission to overlay content.

If you are not rooted, then a factory reset will remove the malware, but if you are rooted, I would recommend also erasing the system partition and reinstalling the ROM.

So far your issue does not seem to be something that touchpal is doing on the compromised versions, though there is no telling what might happen if you mistakenly click on an ad generated by it, since most in-app ads are not vetted in any way by the app developer, thus if a malware maker pays for ad space and uses that to push their malware, then it will make it into the app.

If touchpal on your device is really displaying banner ads and you didn't do anything like download the version on the playstore (which is ad supported), then that is a horrible thing for those developers to do.

• Good Evening Guys. I don't have this device, but I will see if I can get some information in regards to this.

For those with ads, did they start after a recent update, or did they just start randomly with no clear previous action or event.

This is useful in determining if a specific app updated, and got new ad provider that decided to load up some malicious ads, or if an old app with overlay permissions decided to do something malicious.

Also, if possible, can you record a video of the issue? This will go a long way into tracking the issue down, and if it is touchpal, then steps will need to be taken.

apps such as the following can be used to record the issue.

AZ screen recorder: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hecorat.screenrecorder.free

Or mobizen: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rsupport.mvagent

This had been an ongoing issue with TouchPal for the last 6 months in my case. It's just got worse. If you click on the floating icons it will actually install apps on your phone without any notification. You click them they just disappear then in a short time there's two game icons (as an example) on your desktop that you did not install. This only stopped after uninstalling the TouchPal updates on my phone and disabling automatic updates on my phone to prevent the app from updating and going back to it's annoying self. Not just this however. Also pop up ads while you open unrelated apps. It's seriously next level bs. I would screen shot and record this but I just can't stand the idea of letting it back on my phone. But I'll be the guinea pig if necessary. My feeling is somehow the Android version Cricket is using has a license agreement with TouchPal where they are allowed to bloat our Cricket phones legally. It cannot be uninstalled

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USA Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Ihatetouchpal said:
    This had been an ongoing issue with TouchPal for the last 6 months in my case. It's just got worse. If you click on the floating icons it will actually install apps on your phone without any notification. You click them they just disappear then in a short time there's two game icons (as an example) on your desktop that you did not install. This only stopped after uninstalling the TouchPal updates on my phone and disabling automatic updates on my phone to prevent the app from updating and going back to it's annoying self. Not just this however. Also pop up ads while you open unrelated apps. It's seriously next level bs. I would screen shot and record this but I just can't stand the idea of letting it back on my phone. But I'll be the guinea pig if necessary. My feeling is somehow the Android version Cricket is using has a license agreement with TouchPal where they are allowed to bloat our Cricket phones legally. It cannot be uninstalled

If it can't be uninstalled, can it at least be disabled? Install Gboard or SwiftKey like others have mentioned. Switch to that as the default, then disable TouchPal? Or have you tried this already?

@hollap said:

@Ihatetouchpal said:

If it can't be uninstalled, can it at least be disabled? Install Gboard or SwiftKey like others have mentioned. Switch to that as the default, then disable TouchPal? Or have you tried this already?

He did say that it can't be disabled and everyone has suggested using an alternative keyboard. I also suggested turning off background data so the app can't operate in the background. So far our suggestions are seemingly being ignored. At this point a factory reset is necessary to get rid of all the incidental apps he's inadvertently installed. Then install another keyboard and make it the default and never touch that app again.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@Ihatetouchpal said:

He did say that it can't be disabled and everyone has suggested using an alternative keyboard. I also suggested turning off background data so the app can't operate in the background. So far our suggestions are seemingly being ignored. At this point a factory reset is necessary to get rid of all the incidental apps he's inadvertently installed. Then install another keyboard and make it the default and never touch that app again.

I just read an article on one of the Android sites that said there was a mixup with TouchPal and that users were reporting seeing ads. That was with HTC though. Not sure if that's what could be going on here or not.

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@Ihatetouchpal said:

I just read an article on one of the Android sites that said there was a mixup with TouchPal and that users were reporting seeing ads. That was with HTC though. Not sure if that's what could be going on here or not.

The way that I see it is simply choosing another keyboard as the default keyboard solves the problem so if someone doesn't want to do that they lose the right to complain about it.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@Ihatetouchpal said:

The way that I see it is simply choosing another keyboard as the default keyboard solves the problem so if someone doesn't want to do that they lose the right to complain about it.

Guess so. I was just saying that the article I read said that there was a mix up with TouchPal that was causing users to see ads. That was on some HTC phones though. May have nothing to do with ZTE phones.

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@Ihatetouchpal said:

Guess so. I was just saying that the article I read said that there was a mix up with TouchPal that was causing users to see ads. That was on some HTC phones though. May have nothing to do with ZTE phones.

I understood what you meant @westside80. The HTC U11 allows you to disable that app, which I did, and installed SwiftKey like I do on every phone. I did read that the TouchPal problem was happening on other phones also and that it was the developer that messed up. For phones that came with TouchPal as the default app the ads weren't supposed to happen. Just for people who downloaded TouchPal when it wasn't pre-installed. The developer did it to try and get people to buy the paid version. Almost like blackmail since the ads didn't used to appear.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@Ihatetouchpal said:

I understood what you meant @westside80. The HTC U11 allows you to disable that app, which I did, and installed SwiftKey like I do on every phone. I did read that the TouchPal problem was happening on other phones also and that it was the developer that messed up. For phones that came with TouchPal as the default app the ads weren't supposed to happen. Just for people who downloaded TouchPal when it wasn't pre-installed. The developer did it to try and get people to buy the paid version. Almost like blackmail since the ads didn't used to appear.

If that's the case, even if TouchPal was my favorite keyboard, I would never use it again. I don't aim to be blackmailed on a device I paid for. I assume most other people feel the same. I use Gboard 90% of the time and the other 10% of the time I use Chrooma.

• sshasansshasan Z-Community Moderator New York Posts: 3,156 admin

@sew428 Could you please provide screenshots of the ads that are popping up as well as which version on TouchPal is installed on your device.

• Some of these answers are silly. "Just use another keyboard?" You don't think we've thought of that? The Google keyboard is the one I have set to use, not TouchPal 2017. The ads started anyway. Ads with music come up while I'm on the phone. I tried uninstalling the updates to TouchPal 2017, but the ads are still there. There isn't any question that it's coming from TouchPal. You can see it at the top of the ad when you use the close app button. The only answer seems to be factory reset and that won't help because the problem will come right back because TouchPal comes already preinstalled. The only solution anyone can come up with is rooting. I am seriously going to have to give up the phone if I can't talk on it because of a musical ad. Maybe I just need to approach Cricket about it. I don't know if it's Cricket that preinstalls the app or ZTE. Obviously ZTE has been no help.

• sshasansshasan Z-Community Moderator New York Posts: 3,156 admin

@truthminers I've asked another member above to provide some screenshots of the ads that are popping up as well as which version of TouchPal is installed on the device.

Can you provide this info see I can have R&D look into this further.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@Ihatetouchpal said:

The way you see it is wrong. Please read what we've discussed or don't comment

@truthminers said:
    Some of these answers are silly. "Just use another keyboard?" You don't think we've thought of that? The Google keyboard is the one I have set to use, not TouchPal 2017. The ads started anyway. Ads with music come up while I'm on the phone. I tried uninstalling the updates to TouchPal 2017, but the ads are still there. There isn't any question that it's coming from TouchPal. You can see it at the top of the ad when you use the close app button. The only answer seems to be factory reset and that won't help because the problem will come right back because TouchPal comes already preinstalled. The only solution anyone can come up with is rooting. I am seriously going to have to give up the phone if I can't talk on it because of a musical ad. Maybe I just need to approach Cricket about it. I don't know if it's Cricket that preinstalls the app or ZTE. Obviously ZTE has been no help.

Thank you for once again explaining our dilemma. Unfortunately we are seen as newbs that can't try the simplest of work throughs. I'm thinking this will not be resolved

edited July 19, 2017 11:01PM

@Ihatetouchpal said:

@truthminers said:
    Some of these answers are silly. "Just use another keyboard?" You don't think we've thought of that? The Google keyboard is the one I have set to use, not TouchPal 2017. The ads started anyway. Ads with music come up while I'm on the phone. I tried uninstalling the updates to TouchPal 2017, but the ads are still there. There isn't any question that it's coming from TouchPal. You can see it at the top of the ad when you use the close app button. The only answer seems to be factory reset and that won't help because the problem will come right back because TouchPal comes already preinstalled. The only solution anyone can come up with is rooting. I am seriously going to have to give up the phone if I can't talk on it because of a musical ad. Maybe I just need to approach Cricket about it. I don't know if it's Cricket that preinstalls the app or ZTE. Obviously ZTE has been no help.

Thank you for once again explaining our dilemma. Unfortunately we are seen as newbs that can't try the simplest of work throughs. I'm thinking this will not be resolved

I'm thinking you're wrong. Seems the mix up is on TouchPal's end. Seems like they pushed out the wrong update to the wrong version of TouchPal. I read an article on one of the Android sites the other day. So you'll just have to wait for TouchPal to fix it. I'm sure they will. I'm surprised they haven't done it already. If these phone companies wouldn't pre-install these crappy apps and try to force them on people, then people wouldn't have to worry about that crap. I mean TouchPal is available in the Play Store for anyone who wants to use it. Why pre-load it?

@westside80 said:

@Ihatetouchpal said:

@truthminers said:

I'm thinking you're wrong. Seems the mix up is on TouchPal's end. Seems like they pushed out the wrong update to the wrong version of TouchPal. I read an article on one of the Android sites the other day. So you'll just have to wait for TouchPal to fix it. I'm sure they will. I'm surprised they haven't done it already. If these phone companies wouldn't pre-install these crappy apps and try to force them on people, then people wouldn't have to worry about that crap. I mean TouchPal is available in the Play Store for anyone who wants to use it. Why pre-load it?

You're exactly right @westside80. An OEM if they don't have their own keyboard app should just install Gboard. Just like you said if someone likes TouchPal that much they can just download it just like I install SwiftKey on every new phone. Plus they can count on Google to regularly update Gboard and not have accidents like what TouchPal did.

@Ihatetouchpal said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@Ihatetouchpal said:

The way you see it is wrong. Please read what we've discussed or don't comment

@Ihatetouchpal you will not tell me what to comment on. I have read what has been said. Can't you disable TouchPal? If you can't disable TouchPal you can go into the settings and turn off all permissions and notifications for the app and also disable TouchPal 's ability to operate in the background. So if you know the solution to the problem and you keep using TouchPal anyway don't complain.