[Android Tips] Factory Restore Your Phone or Tablet

ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United States Posts: 4,602 mod

Sometimes your phone becomes unusable due to a number of issues, sometimes you just want to start fresh, and sometimes you just forgot your password, and are locked out. Well there are two ways to confront these issues.Please backup all personal data before proceeding, a factory restore WILL Delete ALL Personal Data and Settings.   

The first option is only available if you are able to get to your settings, and I will explain this first.

First you will need to tap your settings Icon. From there you will see the option Backup and Reset, please click. You will now be looking at another set of options.Before going further, remember this next step WILL Delete ALL of your personal data and settings. You will now want to choose  Factory Data Reset. Confirm and continue. Your phone will now restore back to the original factory settings and restart. You will now need to setup your device, and accounts.

This second option is great if you are unable to gain access to your desktop, or have forgotten your password.

Just like with the first option ALL Personal Data and Settings will be Deleted.

With this option we are going to restore your device through the Recovery Mode. There are many settings in this section, and it is not advisable to change these, unless you have experience. Now you will want to Turn Off your device. Depending on your device either combination of these buttons may work. The most common is to Press and hold the Power button, and the Volume Down Button (some phones will use the power button and volume up), or the Home Button and Volume Down . Within a few seconds a menu will appear, this is Recovery Mode you will want to choose the option to Wipe data/ Factory Reset. Your device will now Restore back to the original factory settings. You will need to setup your device and accounts.

Comments

• fzrrichfzrrich United States Posts: 4,238 mod

Great advice, I have done so many many times when my devices slow down and am very close to doing so again on my laggy M8 

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United States Posts: 4,602 mod

​ I figured it should be posted here somewhere anyhow

• razor512razor512 United States Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Factory reset is very useful for restoring the performance of a device, especially when you are not rooted, and have no unlocked bootloader, as in those cases, you do not have many other options for dealing with bitrot.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,524 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Very true.