Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Do you own or have you used a water resistant device?

AerospacemanAerospaceman Z-Community AdministratorUnited StatesPosts: 1,423 admin

Hello again!!  This time the Consumer Lab team would like to pick your brain on Water Resistant devices. Below are some questions that we would love to hear your opinion on.  No wrong or right answers, just speak your mind!!

• Do you currently use one or have owned one previously?
  • We would love to get your in depth opinion on if you like your water resistant device.
  • Was there a specific reason you decided to purchase your device with water resistant capabilities?
  • Do you use your device at the beach, lake, pool, etc...?
  • Would your current or previous experience make you consider purchasing another water resistant device?
  • What is the make/model of your water resistant device?

The CL team would really like your input on this.  Please feel free to provide your full opinion beyond the questions above.  If you could design a water resistant and/or Rugged phone what would you want with current technology ie.  Battery, Display, Capabilities, etc...

There is a chance that you could have a one on one conversation with the Consumer Lab team!!  Let your opinions flow!!

Comments

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,253 mod

1) I do own some water resistant devices, my fitbit blaze is water resistant and I think "most" electronics are resistant to water to some extent these days. I have not owned any water proof items though.

2) I do like having water resistance as a feature so that if you are wearing a watch or holding your phone you don't have to worry if you are caught in the rain or snow. Water proof is obviously better, but for my needs I don't "need" it to be waterproof and withstand X amount of minutes submerged in X amount of water but I think some strong level of water resistance is a must.

3) To be honest it was not the reason that I purchased the device but I am happy that it is water resistant.

4) I do use it at the beach, lake and near water and have no worries about it becoming wet or splashed on.

5) Yes based on my current experience I would most definitely look for and purchase a device that is water resistant.

6) Fitbit Blaze.

• sigmarsigmar CT, USAPosts: 43 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although I have never owned an IP-rated/water resistant phone, I have had a Pebble Steel watch for the past 2 years and love the fact it is water resistant. If it is even slightly drizzling, I am way too concerned about harming my phone to pull it out. So it is very nice to be able to read text messages on the pebble. I would definitely consider buying a water resistant phone, so that I could be less concerned about using it in the rain.

I do use my device at the beach and pool, but usually leave it in a backpack to protect it from the sand/water. I doubt I would take it out of the bag for more than a few minutes even if it was very water resistant.

• delle17delle17 North Carolina, United StatesPosts: 730 ✭✭

I own a Sony Xperia Z Tablet but never tested to see how it withstands the elements. Also, I own a Samsung Gear Live and it does great when I am around the water when I go to the beach. The main reason why I take the interest in the product that's water resistant it gives my mind at ease just in case an accident occurs. I do love phones that have water resistant technology and has a  IPS rating on that certain product. The very first phone that I owned that was water resistant was the Samsung Galaxy SIII. That device opened up my eyes to what specific benefit I could gain from having this wonderful feature. I know Sony already had a great product line up at that time that automatically displayed a great rating on its water resistant ability. I think every buys a product with this feature to keep their mind at ease when the situation occurs to take the product out near water or around water it won't cause the device any harm. For an example, I don't mind wearing my Android watch (Samsung Gear Live) while washing my car or even washing my hands because the water resistant feature. It allows my mind to be worried about other things. I think it's very important for phones to have this ability to be merged in water or to come in contact with water without any mechanical failure. If they Axon 7 had this I would be extremely happy because a lot of (unlocked) phones don't even include it. With all my experience with products that was water resistant worked flawlessly when it did come in contact with water. (Only a splash or a dab of water came in contact with most of my devices none was fully merged in water.)

What makes products great are the ability to enhance the users experience to better compliment their lifestyle.

"A Phone made entirely with you (me) in mind!"

Never Settle

#ZTE #AXON-7

• arysynarysyn IllinoisPosts: 1,067

This is great timing this post thread was created here, since currently I'm staying in a hotel that has an in-room whirlpool and steam room. I've stayed here many times in the past whenever for helping with my health and really bad pain issues I have. It is nice to relax in what essentially isn't a hotel room, but more like a huge bathroom. This hotel also has swim spa suites as well, and is again another great feature for health, when I'm really not feeling well.

So, what I do when I'm here is to have a Bluetooth-enabled computer I've used in the past when I didn't have a smartphone with me to connect wirelessly to my Blue Ant PumpHD waterproof Bluetooth earphones. They work very well in the swim spa and the whirlpool, even inside the steam room where the humidity doesn't seem to affect them negatively in any way. I've taken them with me to a few swimming pools where they work well too, just not underwater. However, the sound quality could be better. I'd would really like for a company to make a high quality waterproof bluetooth IEM.

Also quite interesting about this question, is I've been one of the most consistent members here in the Z-community talking about the importance of having devices be waterproof. Although, I've been a bit torn between that and what other members have told me about how waterproof isn't so good for having alongside dual front facing speakers in a smartphone. I really believe both features are equally important and a way ought to be made for both features to be possible on a smartphone.

Obviously I'd like there to be a smartphone that is waterproof and has dual front facing speakers. I'd rather the smartphone be rugged, rather than thin, as I think there ought to be more smartphones that are rugged and don't need to have a case to keep them durable in all environmental conditions. There is a problem that I'd like to see resolved. There are absolutely no rugged premium smartphones on the market here in the U.S. I'd like to see that changed, and if ZTE were to do that, I'd be thrilled!

Of course, I could list all the features I'd like.to see in such a rugged premium smartphone. However, the only features which the Axon 7 is lacking which I'd like to see in a smartphone, is rugged, which obviously means durable and waterproof in the extreme elements. Make an Axon smartphone in this way, ZTE will have a real winner! No other rugged smartphone will have the specifications the rugged ZTE smartphone will have!

However, there are a few additional features I would like to see implemented. Such as a Sapphire coated display which the Kyocera Brigadier has. Also, 4K resolution would be nice to have, along with a 6000mah battery. Yet, even if ZTE were to stick with a 2k resolution or even 1080p, a rugged smartphone ought to have at least around a 4500mah battery. I suggest going much farther though, which doing this with premium specifications will have this selling like $100 Axon 7s at a Z-community meet. Have the battery be 10000mah.

One other thing that might help trim production costs of this device. Instead of having a front and a rear camera, have one single reversible camera which can take photos in either direction. Simply have a built-in mechanism that rotates the camera to the user-defined position. However, make sure the camera has all of the high-end features a typical rear camera in a smartphone has, including autofocus and OIS.

Anyways, waterproofing is a very important feature to me in the many ways I've made obvious here, but also because of my health as part of what helps to improve the accessibility of a device for people such as myself who have serious health conditions. This is something I'd really like to speak with STE about doing, since it is a very important issue.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I could say I never really own a device with waterproofing, but I did have a ~30 day rental device from Samsung which was waterproof (Galaxy S5). It was nice owning a waterproof/resistance phone for a while, not having to care too much about it getting water damage when walking in the rain or somewhere near water. Having a phone without water resistance, I always have to be cautious if there is any water near it, afraid of triggering the water damage indicator or actually damaging the phone. I would consider having water resistance as a bonus when purchasing a new device, having a piece of mind near water is awesome.

I guess I could say that I own a somewhat water resistance device, the Apple Watch. I don't have to worry too much when wearing the watch when washing my hand or something, as it doesn't damage the watch, though I never really had it completely soaked under water or something for a period of time. It was more of a rinse and dry situation.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I wish I had more experience with this topic.
    I do have a couple of devices like a smartwatch and a speaker that are water resistant.

I won't get these devices wet though just to prove they are resistant to water.
    To me it's just asking to ruin them and while that may be counterintuitive to their engineering,
    I don't want to have to buy a new device after it gets ruined because you can't always count on warranties to cover things,
    and when warranties run out, you are still responsible for what happens to the device.

The topic is so broad though and the level of "resistance" can be from one extreme to the other.
    I have seen others out there talk about their devices getting ruined without submerging them and just form small amounts of water
    penetrating their "water resistant" device, so not all devices like that are quality made.

I honestly feel the future of smartphones will progress to almost all models being water resistant to some degree.
    It only makes sense to do so since we have our devices around water so much with bathroom and kitchen,
    as well as pools, oceans, rain, or any other place you can think of where water may have an impact on your device.

I recently went on a little getaway to a waterpark with my family and I was kind of in awe at how many people there
    actually had their phones right in the pool and other areas of the park around water, with most of them having their phone inside a
    waterproof case. I've never had the opportunity to use such a case personally, but it sure is wild to see people using their electronic
    devices while water is splashing all over it.

The future seems to make more sense when you envision all phones to have water resistance / water proofing and
    wireless charging, NFC, and wireless audio. As technology progresses I think we will be in awe of what devices will look and operate
    like a decade or more from now.
    For ZTE specifically, I say go for it and get your feet wet in the realm of water resistant devices.

• chrsnchrsn New YorkPosts: 217 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've used the S5 and also tried an S7 underwater and I thought it was amazing to use the camera and record video underwater.

The reason I currently don't own either is becsuse some sacrifice is usually made with regards to the phone. In Sony phones there is usually a flap or their expense is ridiculously high, in Samsung the speaker quality suffered greatly but worse, the only thing protecting the device from leakage was glue. A glue that has reportedly loosened over the life of some users S7s.

I think the Galaxy Active line, most recently the Active S7 is in the right direction. It provides a flagship experience with a phenomenal battery (4000mAh in the US is VERY rare for phones) but again compromises by being ATT locked, and quite frankly, ugly. Even the most recent reviews have stated how horrendous the camouflage look is.

Flagship specifications like the S7 Active, solid design like Sony Xperia Z's, and a price tag that isn't ridiculously high on an unlocked device would satisfy everyone's need.

Consumers buy waterproof devices for the peace of mind, but that isn't first and foremost. Like sound for the HTC 10 and value for the OP3 or AMOLED of the Galaxy lines, waterproofing should be treated as an addition, not a substitution, of proper flagship specifications. This is why the S7 sold like hotcakes despite only being waterproof for a few feet and a few minutes. You got a great phone, great design, and peace of mind without all the ugly that usually comes with waterproofing.

Make a device with great design and waterproofing with no compromise design, hardware, and price wise while maintaining your margins (which don't have to be Samsung big) is the key.

• AerospacemanAerospaceman Z-Community Administrator United StatesPosts: 1,423 admin

All great opinions!!  Let's keep them coming!!  

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,618 mod

I have probably 8 waterproof bluetooth speakers. On is Maze IPX7, and a couple by TaoTronics, and the rest are generics. They all work about the same. I use them in the shower, I have them along my garden tub and sometimes I toss one in my purse. I don't bother spending much on them, even though they are waterproof, and the Maze branded one claims it can even be totalyl submerge, but something about putting an expensive speaker near a tub of water seems wrong to me. I also have a couple waterproof cell phone pouches, I received for free, if it is pouring rain I will grab one, but most times I forget I even have them.

I do wish there where more waterproof devices, live cell phones, tablets, and mp3 players, as these are expensive and so easily dunked. I have repaired more ipods, and mp3 players that have fallen into puddles, and toilets than I care to admit, most times it is a lost cause.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I never owned a water resistant smartphone, but there are rare times when I wish I had one, e.g., if it is raining lightly outside, Ii will not take my phone out, even when I feel like checking something, as I do not want the device to get wet. Beyond that, I do not feel a strong enough need for it to give up features such as quality speakers, microphone, and easy to replace sim card, and micro SD card.

I'm so tired the past several hours from over-compensating on one of my prescription medications other day due to not having the other one I really needed. So yes, I an quite tired and have just noticed this post mentioning water resistance rather than water proofing, Still, I'd rather it be waterproof and rugged the han not. Besides, the market could really use a waterproof rugged high quality smartphone such as the one I've mentioned earlier here in this thread.

• poohbiwonpoohbiwon USAPosts: 714 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had the Samsung Galaxy S5 two years ago. I had accidentally dropped my previous phone in a pool, which definitely influenced my decision to buy a water resistant cell. I did take it to the pool with me a couple of times, but I needed a bigger phone so I sold it and purchased an LG G3. I go to the pool a lot, so I did miss the water resistance, which the G3 didn't have, but I soon discovered water proof pouches that still allowed me to control my cell for taking pictures or recording video. So, I didn't end up missing the water resistance feature of the S5 for very long. I'd say having the feature is nice, but not a deal breaker for me.

In addition, I have a Pebble Time Steel, which has been great if I'm out running and get caught in the rain. The water resistance of the Pebble make it a useful fitness tracker and smartwatch.

Lastly, I have a set of Bluetooth Headphones which I take with me on my runs, so I can listen to music on my phone. It's also nice if I'm caught out in the rain. On rare occasions when I want to enjoy a soak in the hot tub, while watching a movie or program, I'll wear the headphones so I can hear the audio. Unfortunately, I don't know the make or model of the headphones. I bought it cheap off eBay, I think.

• benjamin.hobbsbenjamin.hobbs Independence, ORPosts: 76

I outright bought Kyocera Hyrdo Air, but it only had an 8GB internal memory; and sending apps to SD cards isn't as good as Android could make that feature. It was water resistant/proof. It's a good smart phone for those that need a smart phone for occasional web based stuff and email, but the memory won't hold many apps..

That being said, my wife had the Samsung Galaxy Active S4. It is waterproof/resistant. However the cellular provider exchange/warranty receiving department very much took advantage of us when we went to exchange it; waterproof it was not. Our provider ripped off the waterproof USB cover, sent it back to us, and then said that was the reason that it stopped working. I'm not a violent person, but had they done that to me in person, that would have set me off. I will never buy a waterproof phone if it can't be cheaply replaced, or covered under warranty regardless of how water damage occurs. I have service with a major carrier, but I do not lease or contract their phones, and it's nice not having a contract.

I no longer buy phones on any kind of contract - that is why I've come to respect ZTE. I can afford to buy your products outright. No more expensive flagship phones for me, no more contracts, or lease based plans. If I can't afford it, if I can't own it, I don't buy it.

Words of advice to you ZTE: Don't abandon what is making you a legacy - I've worked for companies that do that - they fail to grow like they did in the way that made them a legacy. You might do well if you become a flagship phone maker, but if you abandon the customers who appreciate the quality and value of your less expensive phones, then someone else will replace that legacy. Continue to diversify, do not subsidize yourself. Do not make your low end customers pay for your high end phones by raising your prices.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I had a Samsung Galaxy S5.  I didn't get it for the water-resistant feature, but I did take pics underwater and felt safer when I had it close to the shower.  However all of that was lost since it got water inside of it.  Device still works but screen is blank. Battery has the red water mark on it.  I was using it in Mexico and was taking pics in the ocean.

I don't like the water-resistance anymore if I need to pay a premium to get it. It gave me a false sense of security that no water would affect this phone when I should have known better.  Much like a vehicle that has 4 wheel drive, people think you can't get in an accident.  So now I'm just more careful with my devices, and to top it all off, pics underwater don't turn out very well anyway

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I own the Galaxy S5 and Gear S2 both of which are water resist, although ive never gotten my phone wet before , I WOULD LOVE for ZTE to include water resistance in the next Axon phone

I obviously have a different view of ZTE's pricing than most people here do. In my opinion ZTE ought to raise prices a bit, though not as expensive as say, Samsung, LG, and Sony. Doing this ought to help ZTE get out of the "cheap" image it seems to have among tech writers. I suggest ZTE keep developing high-end premium devices, including rugged devices.

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

None yet for me but always loved the waterproofing xperia line

• kennedy0201kennedy0201 MainePosts: 744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ive never owned a phone that was water resistant, but I have had waterproof bluetooth speakers. Ive had many of those and they all seem to work well as long as the rubber piece that covers the port is durable and will not break off from opening and closing to charge the device. I think waterproofing or making water resistant devices is a good step forward because to keep it simple, stuff happens. I can't tell you how many times I've been walking on campus and a rain storm hits and I get soaked and worry about my phone getting wet. If it were water resistant, I wouldn't have to worry as much. Even if it was waterproof, I would not take it in the shower with me as I have heard some people say that they do because I would not want to risk the seal not being completely tight, especially after owning the device for some time.

• hiker75hiker75 FloridaPosts: 108

I currently own the S5 (and S7 Edge).  Water resistance was not a reason for me purchasing, but was definitely a feature I became accustomed to.  With kids, going to the pool is a common occurrence in Florida.  So being able to have my phone available for pictures is a plus.  Not to mention Florida having as much unpredictable rainfall as we get, is another reason water resistance phones are great.

I would probably get another water resistant device if the device was worth it in price, ratings, and features.

• rikkkurdrikkkurd United statesPosts: 318 ✭✭

No the only thing that comes close is my oppo find 7a, there are videos out on youtube that submerge the phone for 30 minutes without problem but it s not marketed as water proof. I never drop my phone so the only waterproofing i need is for rain drops and such. Underwater use like the sony xperias used to have is not interesting for me

• Exactly this for me as well. Never owned one, but my Nexus 6 has the coating. For me, water proofing/resistance adds a HUGE plus when making a purchasing decision. I came very close to buying Sony's Xperia Z5 premium because it was waterproof, had dual front facing speakers, really for me it checked EVERY box, but the camera.. Just no. Plus the cost and US availability at the time. I would kill for a waterproof Axon 7 lol!

• flybriflybri LAPosts: 219 ✭✭

In terms of smartphones, I've never owned a waterproof or water resistant device. It's definitely not a top priority for me, since I've never had water damage on any cell phone I've ever owned. I'm extremely careful with my phones, so while having a device that is waterproof and water resistant is nice, it's definitely not needed for me. Also, from what it seems, making a device water resistant or waterproof negatively impacts the quality of the speaker(s). To me, that isn't a compromise I'm willing to accept.

• micahdubosemicahdubose Rock Hill SCPosts: 133

I sure do! Both my Sony Xperia Z3 and Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.

• See I am on the fence. I am with you on the speakers issue for sure! I think with good stereo front facing speakers like Sony used in their waterproof phones, it is still possible though. My Nexus 6 has those speakers, and it is technically water "resistant" because of the hydrophobic coating. And it saved me! Like you, I am super careful with my phones. But while helping out at church with some kids near a water slide, I got soaked.. Some kid threw a bunch of water my way and my phone in my pocket was then baptized lol. Thankfully, the coating seemed to have saved it. It acted up real bad for one day and then after that was 100% fine. But as far as waterproof, I think it would just be a matter of putting in better speakers to overpower the water proof film over them. I would be willing to give it a shot. I would love to hear a waterproof Xperia Z5 in person. I think that would help me make a decision.

• beenwaitingforthisbeenwaitingforthis Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭✭

Water resistance is important, but there is no way I would be willing to sacrifice speaker quality for waterproofing. With a case at least, many phones will be ok now even if you do get them wet, as long as they're not in the water too much.  I've dropped my LG G2 with an otterbox case completely in the water twice, and it's still working. The first time the screen flickered for a while and the second time a part of the screen lost sensitivity, but then again it took me a good 15 seconds to fish it out, so not too bad - and it's still useable. With water resistance and being a bit more careful, that should be enough.

• I own a Samsung Galaxy S5 that I bought specifically for the waterproof rating. I am looking forward to the Axon 7, but am still considering the S7 since the Axon 7 is not waterproof. I wanted a waterproof phone because I was tired of having to baby the phone whenever I went outside to be active. It's nice not having to put the phone in a bag when running, biking or going to the beach. If the screen gets dirty I just hold it under the tap and wash it off. After three years I don't think I'd try to submerse the phone, but I have no problems pulling it out in the rain and using it.

So, right now my phone debate is that the S7 costs more - I'm looking for the unlocked international version what has an unlocked bootloader, so around $570. Yeh, unlocked bootloader is important too. I like that Axon 7 as it supports almost all AT&T LTE bands, but it's not waterproof, there is a question about unlocking the bootloader, and doing a euro to dollar conversion it's price may be $500. If that is the case, well I'm in for the S5.

• A couple of more notes, like the better camera on the Axon 7, and USB 3 vs USB 2 on S5, but really like the Qi wireless charging on the S5. So, right now my most wanted features in a phone are AT&T LTE bands, wireless charging, waterproof and unlocked bootloader.

This discussion has been closed.