Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Do you own or have you used a water resistant device?

Comments

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Galaxy S7 Active on at&t?  Or is the bootloader locked on that model?

• The G930F international version. From what I read it has an unlocked bootloader. But, it may be region locked so I'd probably need to get a prepaid euro sim. Haven't made up my mind yet.

But one thing for sure, never ever buying a phone directly from AT&T again. Ever.

I know what you are saying. I try not to buy from carriers period, and why I use a GSM MVNO to begin with. But any GSM phone, slide in your SIM and away you go.  Cheap and easy.

• osmosizosmosiz USA - NJPosts: 250

I stopped buying phones from carriers last year when I had a fiasco with the S6 edge on tmobile. The downside, specially with samsung, is warranty and android pay which i think they fixed with that new U model.

• arysynarysyn IllinoisPosts: 1,067

It definitely seems possible to have both high-quality dual front-facing stereo speakers that are waterproof and of course sound great. It may cost a bit more, but very worth it to have the best of both.

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would call waterproofing a major plus but not an absolute requirement for me. When I lived in Japan, all but the cheapest phones were waterproof. It's not because people took them scuba diving all the time, but because a device that you take everywhere with you needs to be able to handle a little wetness. It's also nice to be able to rinse your phone off once in a while when it gets dirty or smudgy. It seems like water resistance does not pose major technical hurdles or extra cost, so I've always wondered why it isn't more popular than it is. The conspiracy theorist in me wonders whether it's because puddles and bathtubs ensure that clumsy people keep buying new phones.

• beenwaitingforthisbeenwaitingforthis Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭✭

With ZTE's 2 year warranty, that shouldn't be so much of issue if you do get it wet. Also, I've never heard of any actual proof that speakers can be waterproof without impeding sound.

For Passport 1.0 it includes the following:

ZTEUSA provides a free of charge Premium Protection Plan with the purchase of every AXON PRO device. This means there are no insurance premiums or monthly fees. The only cost to the consumer will be a deductible charge of only $79.99 USD for each claim. The Premium Protection Plan covers incidental consumer damages related to handling issues such as accidental drop, minimal liquid exposure or overuse conditions (i.e. cracked LCD, some forms of water ingress, USB connector damage, etc.)..

But the Axon 7 includes Passport 2.0, which I can't find details on.

• sgarrandsgarrand MA, USAPosts: 177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aerospaceman wrote:Hello again!! This time the Consumer Lab team would like to pick your brain on Water Resistant devices. Below are some questions that we would love to hear your opinion on. No wrong or right answers, just speak your mind!!Do you currently use one or have owned one previously?I do not own, nor have I ever owned a water resistant/proof device.We would love to get your in depth opinion on if you like your water resistant device.I personally do not need water resistance as a feature but would not rule out purchasing a device with the feature. I have damaged exactly one device with water about 6 years ago. It involved a river, a kayak and my clumsiness. I'm honestly not sure that the average water resistant device would've held up. I take very good care of my devices (before and since that one) so it's not an issue I worry about.Was there a specific reason you decided to purchase your device with water resistant capabilities?Not applicable to me, see answer #1 above.Do you use your device at the beach, lake, pool, etc...?Yes, I do. I usually go in without my device though. I'm very careful with my devices. Again, not a water resistant device though.Would your current or previous experience make you consider purchasing another water resistant device?Again, N/A.What is the make/model of your water resistant device?I sound like a broken record, N/A. How about "no comment!" The CL team would really like your input on this. Please feel free to provide your full opinion beyond the questions above. If you could design a water resistant and/or Rugged phone what would you want with current technology ie. Battery, Display, Capabilities, etc...Bonus space! Wee! Since you mention the word "rugged" for the first time here at the end, I'll lend my opinion on that. I like the idea of a rugged device. If that includes water resistance, so be it. I've used "Otterbox" cases for years and don't mind the bulk. I sacrifice sexiness for durability and protection. It seems that devices currently geared toward "rugged" fans are not high end. I'd buy a high end "rugged" device.
  • wimbetwimbet Dallas, TXPosts: 6 ✭✭✭
    • Do you currently use one or have owned one previously? - Yes, I have previously owned a water resistant device.
    • We would love to get your in depth opinion on if you like your water resistant device. - Yes, this is becoming a must have feature after I broke my last phone from water damage.
    • Was there a specific reason you decided to purchase your device with water resistant capabilities? I fell in my pool and broke my device. Now I want something that is water resistant.
    • Do you use your device at the beach, lake, pool, etc...? - Mostly used by the pool, but sometimes by the beach.
    • Would your current or previous experience make you consider purchasing another water resistant device? - See above. Broke a phone from water damage.
    • What is the make/model of your water resistant device? - I do not own one now, but our family had a Galaxy S7 that is water resistant.
  • i had an s7 edge, the waterproofing was amazing

• mac11700mac11700 St. Louis MissouriPosts: 36

Yes I have owned 2 water resistant phones.

The Samsung Galaxy s7edge and the Samsung Galaxy s7 Active.

Here's the issues that I have with both, they degrade the audio from the speakers.

I had the AT&T carrier locked versions and they sounded horrible.

I flat refuse to have any phone where 2 tin cans and a string actually sound better than my very expensive cell phone.

This is one of the  primary reasons  I am looking at the Axon 7.

I have no issues with a ip68 rated phone as long as it sounds as good as a non waterproof one.

• I had my Sony Xperia Z1 since 2014. It helped me to capture the most beautiful pics for unforgettable memories under water. For me, water and dust proof was a fabulous additional feature that made me buy it. I don't recommend using it under salty water, because it can harm the phone in a very bad manner, that's what happened to my phone during my last journey to Malaysia . Now, the front camera and vibrator are not functional. Also, it is not water proof any more Lol!

Sure, my next phone will be water proof.

• busymanbusyman CanadaPosts: 401 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    • Do you currently use one or have owned one previously?

Yes, I have a water/dust resistant device

• We would love to get your in depth opinion on if you like your water resistant device.

Yes, I love it. Although I never go swimming with it, the peace of mind it gives me is enough for me to love it. I also feel confident knowing I can use my phone in the rain without worry. I actually paid $100 more for my phone compared to the other flagships at the time just for the speakers, build quality, and water/dust resistance.

• Was there a specific reason you decided to purchase your device with water resistant capabilities?

There were three main reasons why I got my device: Excellent build quality, front-facing stereo speakers, and of course its water/dust resistance.

• Do you use your device at the beach, lake, pool, etc...?

During the summer I would use it when I went to the beach. Occasionally my phone would fall into the sand and it would get inside the speaker grills and mics, but just blowing it out usually did the trick with no issues. Another plus! Never swam with it though, because I didn't want to risk finding out I had a faulty device. I did wash my phone under the tap once though, but that was an oddity.

• Would your current or previous experience make you consider purchasing another water resistant device?

100%. If the Axon 7 wasn't priced so low I'd probably get the upcoming Xperia XR because of the awesome experience I've had with my current phone.

• What is the make/model of your water resistant device?

Sony Xperia Z2

• currently owned: Galaxy S7 edge (IP68), Moto G 3rd Gen (IPX7), HTC 10 (IP53), Huawei Watch (IP67), Nexus 6 (nanocoating), Moto E 2nd Gen (nanocoating)
    • previously owned: Galaxy S5 (IP67), HTC One M9 (IPX3), LG G Watch R (IP67), Moto 360 (IP67), Samsung Gear Live (IP67), Pebble Time (ISO22810)
    • I frequently take my S7 edge and Moto G3 into pools to take pictures or to shoot video. It's also great to be able to wash them in sinks.
    • I got my S7 edge because of its build, wireless charging, curved screen, water resistance, and performance. I got my Moto G3 because it was only $50.
    • I use my devices at the beach, lake, and pool. I'm careful with them at the beach though since saltwater can destroy phones.
    • Yes, I would be very willing to get another water-resistant phone.
    • see above
  • saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I own a Xperia Z2 which used to be water resistant until the back got cracked.

The water-resistant feature certainly played a part in my decision to buy the Xperia Z2 over the LG G3 and the HTC One (Galaxy S5 was also considered but it looked like an oversized band-aid).

I imagined I would use the phone at pools, beaches and take some cool underwater shots and be the life of the (pool)party. In reality, all I did was use the phone in the bathtub with impunity. The first and only time I used the phone at a beach, it got damaged due to saltwater.One thing that was unexpected and made me really glad the phone was water-resistant was the Z2's propensity to overheat. Every time the phone started getting hot to the touch I just ran it under the sink or left it in a bowl in the fridge for a few minutes.

Having a water-resistant smartphone for over a year I release I haven't had any near water-prone accidents people are usually scared of. My phone never fell in a toilet, no-one spilled soup or  liquid on it, and rain is not a problem because the phone is in my pocket and I will be using voice features. So, ironically my water-resistant  Z2 made consider the cheaper Axon 7 with the dual-front facing speakers over the Galaxy S7 with its water resistance.

BUT would I pay $50 more for a water-resistant Axon 7? In a heartbeat.  I don't like smartwatches but if for some reason I had to shell out money for one it had better be water-resistant, the same for any fitness tracker.

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

Out of curiosity how well did it take photos underwater?

As long as you have a lot of light on the subject it was OK. Video recording was what I did then I could just take snaps of what I was recording. All of this was made possible by the physical camera button.

Just purchased a UE Boom 2 BT speaker which is IPX7 certified. That along with its shock resistance were contributing factors for why I purchased it over other speakers like the Bose Soundlink Mini. TBH, I was intrigued that I could the connect the speaker to more than one speaker for a true surround sound experience. I am also coming from a bad experience from ZTE's Bluetooth speakers (it would only work if it was plugged into the mains).

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,072 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've used the S7 and S7 Active both were water resistant and I loved having them. I don't really use my phone around a pool or the beach a lot. Still it gave me more peace of mind knowing a little water wasn't going to kill my expensive lifeline to the world. Mostly the peace of mind is worth it.

Just a couple weeks ago I had a different phone with me and I was taking photos outside. It started raining out of nowhere. The phone started getting wet and then I realized, oh wait this one isn't water resistant. I panicked and started drying off my phone really quickly, then threw it in my pocket.

Basically I like water resistant phones and think it's a nice feature to add and brag about. It really makes for great ad campaigns. Even if it's not something people need daily. It's impressive to see ads with it and makes you more comfortable about using your phone in more situations.

• taotao Posts: 72 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never owned a water resistant device, but I had hoped to get one.

I just finished shopping for a new phone and got the Axon 7.  I had my eye on the Galaxy S7, but ultimately I wanted a phone with a good D.A.C. because listening to music is the second activity I use my phone for the most.  The Axon 7 not being water proof was a fairly large strike against it, but ultimately having something waterproof without the features you want is a bit silly.  The Axon 7 was the best overall option for me, but I would have dropped it for something with the same features, AND water resistance if something else were available.

I take my phone everywhere, since a smart phone is not just a phone, but a calendar, flashlight, note pad, etc, etc.  Since it goes everywhere with me, it would be nice if it were waterproof because accidents happen, and the likelihood of it getting wet during the LIFETIME of the device is very high.

• lgsilvalgsilva Orlando, FLPosts: 18

Galaxy S7 - used previously

• We would love to get your in depth opinion on if you like your water resistant device.

Water resistant device gives you an extra peace of mind when handling your phone in situations where it could get splashed or even submerged in water.

• Was there a specific reason you decided to purchase your device with water resistant capabilities?

I was't looking for it specifically but once it saved my phone once it now is part of the must have in a phone.

Yes, mostly in the pool and beach to take pictures of my child.

• Would your current or previous experience make you consider purchasing another water resistant device?

Yes

Samsung Galaxy S7

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭✭

sure.  Every cheap watch I've ever owned is waterproof.

I love that I can swim in an ocean with a waterproof watch

It was cheap.

beach

Water resistant?  How about waterproof?  I followed a product called Golden Shellback a few years ago Golden Shellback Waterproof Coating - YouTube .  They coat the internal electronics with a polymer inside a vacuum chamber. The process was initially marketed to be so easy that it could be done on a small scale- such as having a portable vacuum chamber at a mall kiosk and people could take their device to them, they'd take the device apart to get at the electronics, apply the coating in a vacuum chamber (probably a 2x2 foot machine, reassemble and you'd have a coated device.

It was made by the Northeast Maritime Institute but Zagg bought the technology and I never heard anything about it after that.  ZAGG Acquires Worldwide Rights to Water-Proofing Technology | Business Wire

I believe this is the new site HZO | Waterproof Technology for Electronics

Timex watch

• kgenovakgenova Austin, TXPosts: 6

I now own two water resistant phones and I love having that feature.  Prior to that, I had never had a phone with water resistance and it made me very nervous around water.  Now, with my iPhone 7 Plus and Samsung Galaxy S7, I can feel much more comfortable in potentially wet situations.  I think some degree of water resistance is a key feature in mobile phones.

• hakimfaroukhakimfarouk Kuala Lumpur, MalaysiaPosts: 2

No, I don't own or never owned one tho. But It'd be great for all smartphone to have some sort of water resistant technology. I'm not talking about full on submerging but I do get scenarios like water spill on my phone on the  table, using my phone in the rain and etc. A light water protection would be nice.

• nthall350nthall350 Kansas City, MissouriPosts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never had one, but I did fall out of a boat with one in my pocket once. That feature would have came in handy that day. The phone did survive, but I had to leave it sitting on the air conditioner vent for a few days.

• phydeuxphydeux Posts: 21 ✭✭✭✭✭
    • My last phone was a Kyocera Hydro Vibe
    • I LOVED the fact that it was waterproof (not just resistant) down to 30m for 3 min. with no need for covers on any of the ports (like early Samsungs).  I could wash it in the sink as I washed my hands.  Great for getting rid of fingerprint smudges.
    • I wanted the assurance of being able to wash it and overall not worry if it got wet. 
    • In the lake and pool, and even to take underwater photos since it had a physical camera button.
    • Absolutely!  Especially if it also had direct-to-battery wireless charging the way my old phone did.  It charges faster than the quick chargers, and spares your USB port the wear.
    • Kyocera Hydro Vibe.
  • alanhoustonalanhouston Posts: 666 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I had Kyocera phones that were water resistant. It seemed useful to be able to listen to Pandora while shaving or have a phone that was usable if it started raining while I was on a bike ride.

I also liked having a phone for the pool and Beach.  I go to ocean salt water beaches and the Kyocera phones (in the fine print) warned that they were FRESH water safe only. But, I could wash sand off them with fresh water.

But, none of them were good phones...Often the mic would turn off in the middle of a phone call.

The waterproof feature is a nice plus for a good phone but the Kyocera was not a good phone.

• mi_lionmi_lion Posts: 92 ✭✭✭✭

Only my watch and DSLR camera and lens waterproof/resistant.

Only my cell phones sim card is water resistant...

This discussion has been closed.